This is why I hate Jon Jones

Viking

Yes, in fact, there is such a thing of "degrees of losing" in sports that are judged; that is the entire point of fights being judged. Someone who loses by split decision by showing great skill is judged to have performed better than someone who loses by TKO less than a minute into the first round.

This is real life, not Mortal Kombat or Mike Tyson's Punch Out. There is no ladder system where Gus falls down to #10 and has to fight his way through Soda Popinski, Dan Henderson and whomever to get a rematch with Jon Jones. He gets a rematch because he had an awesome fight with Jones, put Jones in the hospital and was promised a rematch by Jon Jones himself in September 2013.

• Upvote 1

I think you are taking what I said about going back to the start far too literally. I said that he should have to go back to the start, but that doesn't literally mean the bottom of the MMA world. He is still a top 5 LHW and deserves to be ranked as such. He should be getting fights against other top 10 LHW fighters in order to earn another title shot.

You have missed the majority of my point. In sports, the whole point is to win. Whether you lose by one point and one thousand points, it is equal to one loss and should be treated the same. There are no "degrees of losing".

Who cares what the fans want to see? This isn't WWE where we should be putting people into fights based on how much money it will make or how many fans want to see it. It should be based on who has won their way into a championship and who hasn't. Guys like Sonnen, Edgar, and now Gus are getting undeserved title shots because the fans like them, while there are deserving guys like Dong Hyun Kim who can't even get a big name fight simply because he isn't a fan favorite.

What about the other worthy challengers who are forced to miss their turns in the rotation because Gus jumped to the front of the line? DC is getting screwed again. He earned a shot against JDS, but JDS was given Cain again, so DC was forced down to LHW. Now he has earned a LHW shot, but it is being given to Gus. The dude is 15-0 against seriously tough competition and the title shot is going to a guy on a one fight winning streak.

In the lightweight division there was a stretch of THREE YEARS where the only people involved in title fights were BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar, Gray Maynard, and Ben Henderson. What about all the other lightweights who earned their shots and never got them, or had to wait years for them?

Besides, why do you think Gus would be so broken down after three fights against other guys? I'm not saying he has to fight them all in one day. It would take a year or a year and a half to get back to title contention. Title shots are too hard to get to allow a small handful of guys to dominate the scene for years at a time.

I never said he should go to #35. If he loses, he is still near the top of the rankings, but he needs a winning streak for a title shot. The title shot goes to the guy who earns it with wins, not necessarily "the best fighter". We could determine the best fighter by watching them train if we wanted to. However, this is sports, where you earn things by winning and they slip away when you lose. Losing by an inch is the same as losing by a mile in sports.

Manuwa and Texeira then were your #1 and 2 contenders prior to the beatings that they 've received, and Jimi should have been fighting Jones, not Gus. Am I close?

Losing is losing and is all the same? I can't say I agree. The way I see it is getting KTFO a la Ricardo Arona is not the same as Ross Pearson losing to Diego Sanchez.

Yes, in fact, there is such a thing of "degrees of losing" in sports that are judged; that is the entire point of fights being judged. Someone who loses by split decision by showing great skill is judged to have performed better than someone who loses by TKO less than a minute into the first round.

This is real life, not Mortal Kombat or Mike Tyson's Punch Out. There is no ladder system where Gus falls down to #10 and has to fight his way through Soda Popinski, Dan Henderson and whomever to get a rematch with Jon Jones. He gets a rematch because he had an awesome fight with Jones, put Jones in the hospital and was promised a rematch by Jon Jones himself in September 2013.

We'll never agree on this. I think this does nothing but turn title shots into popularity contests.

I wish the UFC would run more tournaments to determine title contenders. It doesn't have to be Bellator-style 8 man tournaments that get all messed up because of injuries, but 4-man tournaments could definitely work, especially if you start one tournament before the previous one ends. This way champs are not on the shelf waiting for tournaments all the time.

The only reason that UFC doesn't do it is that they want to be able to bury unmarketable fighters and push rematches and marketable fighters. They are more concerned with profit than with running a fair and equitable sport.

NexusX is the re-incarnation of Brainsmasher. I'm definitely convinced.

Brainsmasher was my nemesis. He was a crazy gun nut who refused to listen to reason or logic. His debating style relied heavily on emotional name-calling and making up statistics.

I don't mind if you disagree with my opinions, but you have to admit that I use reasonable logic and stick to the issue instead of insulting the person.

Clearly NeimanMarxist and I have different ideas about how a title shot should be given out. I prefer the black and white "earning it by winning" style because I think it is more fair to the fights, while NeimanMarxist seems to like the "give the fans what they want" style, which satisfies the larger percentage of the fan base.

Whether you like my style or his style, I think both of us have used well-thought out replies and neither of us have resorted to Brainsmasher-style personal attacks. Attack the argument, not the person.

• Upvote 1

Brainsmasher was my nemesis. He was a crazy gun nut who refused to listen to reason or logic. His debating style relied heavily on emotional name-calling and making up statistics.

I don't mind if you disagree with my opinions, but you have to admit that I use reasonable logic and stick to the issue instead of insulting the person.

Clearly NeimanMarxist and I have different ideas about how a title shot should be given out. I prefer the black and white "earning it by winning" style because I think it is more fair to the fights, while NeimanMarxist seems to like the "give the fans what they want" style, which satisfies the larger percentage of the fan base.

Whether you like my style or his style, I think both of us have used well-thought out replies and neither of us have resorted to Brainsmasher-style personal attacks. Attack the argument, not the person.

All anti-gun people need is a slap of reality and then they'd understand the circumstances. :cowboy:

Nexus types far too coherently to be BrainSmasher, he's used words that BrainSmasher couldn't even say, but the more he types the more transparent it is that he's swinging from JBJ's nuts.. similar to how BrainSmasher cradled Tank Abbott's balls.

• Upvote 1

HIs option of Cormier may fall through... MRI shows significant LCL and only 50% of the ACL left in one of his knees. Frankly he would be a fool at this point to risk training camp and the fight, get the surgery, get it fixed then comeback properly.

All anti-gun people need is a slap of reality and then they'd understand the circumstances. :cowboy:

Nexus types far too coherently to be BrainSmasher, he's used words that BrainSmasher couldn't even say, but the more he types the more transparent it is that he's swinging from JBJ's nuts.. similar to how BrainSmasher cradled Tank Abbott's balls.

Jones isn't my favorite fighter. I do like him, but there are plenty of guys I like more. I just recognize him as the most talented fighter in the game right now. I just think Gus is hugely overhyped and DC has the better chance of beating Jones.

Yes, Daniel Cormier, whose knee is more torn up than northern Iraq, would clearly have been a better challenge for Jon Jones than Gus, who put Jones in the hospital.

And UFC cards are thin as it is, the idea of holding even 4-man tournaments is ludicrous. UFC 151 went down in flames largely because of how thin the UFC spread its talent.

As hard and as intensely as the UFC exploits its fighters, I still think a majority of fighters would prefer the current model to Nexus' "you only get a title shot once you slog through four or five guys, no matter how much you've already proven yourself." Not even Bellator does that, and Bellator is probably the most exploitative of the "major" promotions out there.

Jones isn't my favorite fighter. I do like him, but there are plenty of guys I like more. I just recognize him as the most talented fighter in the game right now. I just think Gus is hugely overhyped and DC has the better chance of beating Jones.

Jones is a very talented fighter. Great fighter, prolly the best in the business overall.. but comes off like a giant douchebag. Gus isn't overhyped. Gus manhandled Jones in a fight I believe should of been ruled a draw. Personally I think Anthony Johnson wrecks Jon Jones, but that don't make AJ the better fighter. Styles make fights.

CK puts the nut in gun nut. And he's in your face.

I'd prefer guns, missiles, and all that other shit to be eliminated. But then what happens if some aliens swoop down and try taking shit over. What happens when China's 10 million troops start marching into America with swords and halberds (not that the little chinese men could wield such a big weapon). What happens when you're facing 10 ninjas with swords and you're the lone swordsman? Evolution has taken it's course. Let it be. There's millions of other people's shoes you could of lived in, and you'd have a totally different perspective on guns/weapons.

• Upvote 3

Babble, babble, babble, Jon Jones is a pussy. Babble, babble, Gus should be champeen!1!~ Babble, babble, something DC.

Something something something dark side something something something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2099055-jon-jones-sounds-off-on-ufc-refuses-to-fight-gustafsson-in-sweden

“It won’t be Sweden, no chance,” said Jones. “I have no reason [to go there]. I’m the champ and he’s the challenger. I don’t really find it appropriate to go in his backyard.”

Reminder that all of Jones' fights have been in his home country except for two which were in a different country that is closer to his house than most of the rest of his country

With the knee injury to DC, the UFC could've made everyone happy by naming DC challenger, then having him drop out a week later to be replaced by Gus. They've done sleazier stuff than that before, but it would've saved us a 4 page thread :hehe:

Damn,yall finding every reason in the world to hate bones, How many times has Sonnen fought in a different country at UFC? Rashad Evans? Ok ok Anderson Silva? How many times has Gustafsson fought in America?

Where the fights are fought are damn near out of your control unless youre the champ, besides,

The crowd cant do nearly as much damage to you as the guy in the octagon can...

Audibles and changing playcalls aside, when i played college football we went to the loudest stadiums and once the ball was snapped,i dont care how loud or silent the crowd was or who they rooted for, i was going to run somebody ass over because if i didnt,they would put my helmet and all the contents in it in the 4th row of the stands. I understand "homefield advantage" but i reckon kimbo slice aint come to the ufc like "im only fighting in miami"

All im saying is let the damn fight happen