Would like to ask the advise of my fellow tycooners...

Caleb613

Firstly feel free to move this topic if it's in the wrong section, but didn't classify it as junk personally so didn't put it in the off topic section

Hello all, some of you in this game I know rather well, some I don't but I respect a lot

As a lot of you know I'm currently 17 and turn 18 in April, I have a few big decisions in life and would like to ask the advice and past experiences of any of you who would like to contribute.

Firstly I am thinking about moving out, would it be a better idea for me to rent a flat and pay over half my wages maintaining my bills and rent or wait a year or two with savings and do it when I have more money to spare?

Also how much is necessary to be saved up to buy a small house/flat/apartment? (UK,but I'm happy to take advice even if you don't know about housing prices in the uk)

Secondly but not as important, I'm considering re-pursuing my MMA career, which would involve a lot of my time spent training, at my age and given my past experience in the field, 4 years training,7 amateur and 1 pro fight and a bjj purple belt...

Do you think it's feasible along with a job on the side?

Thanks in advance for your time :)

Stay with your parents and save your money. If your MMA career progresses well enough you could end up on TUF.

• Downvote 1

If after paying rent you can save about 80% of your income I would say to try it but other than that if your parents allows you to live with them better save some money first. Look at guys like Weidman who was living in parents basement before he got his big shot in UFC. Its no shame if you have goals bigger than regular.

About the MMA you can always train and work a lot of pro fighter does that why cant you do it? Its better than to sit home and watch TV anyway. Give yourself few big fights always try to fight better opponents in next fight and you will see how it will work out and if you have what it take to be a pro fighter.

I only moved out from my parents 2 years ago for college, and even though it was required to move away from home to attend the college of my choice, it would have been better to live at home.

You should save up the money, as when you first move out, you will realise the cost of everything and run out of money very quickly. Save up some money to give you something to fall back on should the worst come to the worst and you lose your job or whatever. You can train MMA at the same time, so you can get into a routine, while not having the issues of paying rent, bills, cooking food etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm not planning to move out until I could support it anyway, it's just that my parents want to move and it would be an extra hour away from everything :/ (girlfriend,job,gym,friends,my pub)

But I'll take all of your advice on the chin( and not punches I hope haha)

If I get back into training I'll be sure to start a thread for my future fights :)

I say stay with parents moving out is over rated an you can spend the money in better ways.Rent is dead money your never going to get back.if you get a part time job then i assume you be able to train full time as well. personally i would donate most of the time to mma .If your doing that you have to comment 100% .It better to do it while your young since then you know within a few fights weather it is for you or not.Better not regretting it then wait til your to old to give it go and always regretting it .Also a crazy i idea you can live in a van :).I practically live in my car i am a bum so not for everyone :blush: .If there moving and if you find the hour drive back and fourth a pain in the ass sleep in the van during the week and then return home the weekend :shades: .

I agree with most on here I think you should stay at home and pursue your MMA Career you are very young so if it doesn't work out you can always get a decent Job. The extra hour away shouldn't be a problem. As some have stated you don't ever want to look back and say I could have done that if I would have only tried. Plus when you do move out you will be able to get a nicer place.

I moved out at 19 last year and I've loved every minute of it, I live with my girlfriend though and definitely wouldn't manage on my own :D I would definitely advise you to stay at your parents seeing as money will be an issue, no need to rush.

I don't agree with these guys at all. As soon as I finished high school I was out the door and never looked back. My parents are great but nothing beats the independence and the freedom once you cut that umbilical cord! I only worked minimum wage jobs at the time and had a few bad months here and there but I always made my own way with very little help from my parents. What I did at first that made it so easy to start out on my own was I moved to a ski resort town and worked in a large hotel that provided staff accommodation, three free meals a day in the staff cafeteria and as a bonus a free ski pass! Those were some of the best days of my life, enjoy your younger years when you can party your ass off and get away with it.

I know with you living in the UK working at a ski hill wont be an option but my point is that you will have a lot more fun if you aren't living at home with your parents. Worry about "growing up" and being a responsible adult later. I didn't have a good paying job, own a house, marry or have kids until I was in my 30's and I have no regrets at all.

I'd say that it really depends on your home life and relationship with your parents. If home life is relatively happy and you get along decently with your parents, then there is absolutely no reason to throw away hundreds upon hundreds of pounds for no reason at all. Living on your own can be fun, but it is expensive. Don't move out unless your life is not bearable at home.

As for the commute from their new house: ask yourself if that is worth the extra expense to avoid. That is a call only you can make.

This is my personal opinion, if you hate it, well then don't listen to me lol. Life is hard, move out, you need to learn life is hard. Find ways to make it not hard, find roommates to help with rent and bills. You can save money by taking your laundry to your parents house, but YOU need to wash it, it's also ok to stay for dinner at there house, but only if you are there to do laundry. You could also offer to mow there lawn for some cash while your laundry is washing, be as little of a burden on your parents as possible. If you want to fight professionally, you will have to make sacrifices, hard sacrifices. You will want to pay as little rent as possible and maybe sell your car and ride a bike for transportation. But as Dana White says, do you want to be a fucking fighter? If you do, only you can make that happen, if not work 2 jobs and save every last cent you make, until you are able to live more comfortably. The gist of my story, breaks down like this, life is hard, until YOU make it easy.

Stay at your parents for a while and save money. Rent/Food/Internet/Utilities are all really expensive and you only have so much time to live cheap like that before you wind up with all of those bills anyway.

Like the guy above said, life is hard. The only difference is that moving out makes it harder. Don't listen to some jack off who says that you should make it any harder just so that you can build character.

If you are serious about training then stay at your folks. Training can be derailed with the stress of making bill payments and living expenses. Stay at home and get good food to accompany your training, chase your dream. You will have plenty of time to "build character" by paying bills and being on your own. Immersing yourself in a fight camp and training to be the best at something builds character too.