Baseball 2015 - Offseason Talk

Yentoman

Well never mind Wade Miley was traded to the Red Sox along with a minor leaguer for Allen Webster and Rubby de la Rosa. I don't know much about de la rosa but I do like Allen Webster and he's a big league ready talent. The Red Sox get a good starter who I'm betting will have a really good bounce back year. He gave up a ton of home runs last year but I think Fenway will help with those numbers.

I wonder where James Shields is going to land. With the Red Sox trading for Miley, I think they are out on Shields. I think the Giants were talking to Shields and Scherzer, so if the Giants get Scherzer then they won't sign Shield either...

I wonder where James Shields is going to land. With the Red Sox trading for Miley, I think they are out on Shields. I think the Giants were talking to Shields and Scherzer, so if the Giants get Scherzer then they won't sign Shield either...

I think Shields will end up with the Rangers. They have apparently been talking to him as well. Scherzer is going to be expensive so who knows which team will end up getting him. The Cardinals have been looking at him as an option and they only have about 100 million in payroll obligations but you can never count out the Yankees either.

I think Shields will end up with the Rangers. They have apparently been talking to him as well. Scherzer is going to be expensive so who knows which team will end up getting him. The Cardinals have been looking at him as an option and they only have about 100 million in payroll obligations but you can never count out the Yankees either.

I definitely think Shields is down to the Giants and Rangers, but I would lean much heavier towards him signing with the Giants. The Rangers are in rebuilding mode and the Giants will be in contention like they normally are.

Rick Porcello traded to Red Sox for Yoenis Cespedes and two others

Wow I had no idea that Porcello and Cespedes were being shopped around. The Red Sox have been rebuilding their rotation and it just got a lot stronger. Cespedes to Detroit makes a powerful lineup even more powerful. Porcello is going into his 26th year old season and should have a better season with an actually good defense behind him.

Matt Kemp and catcher Tim Federowicz traded to Padres for Yasmani Grandal, Joe Weiland, and Zack Eflin

The Dodgers will also be throwing in some money to cover Kemps contract. I think this is a great trade for the Dodgers; they dump the majority of Kemps contract, open up some space in their crowded outfield, and get a good catcher back. I don't know why the Padres would trade for Kemp though. He gets injured a lot and when he's on the field he's really not worth his contract. He did have a great second half last year so I guess that was his value.

Matt Latos from the Reds to the Marlins for two minor leaguers:

Who saw this one coming? Latos was the Reds' ace going into 2014, but injuries limited him to half of the season. He still managed to put up solid numbers when he was healthy, so this was a bit of a surprise mainly because of how close the Reds were to contending two seasons ago. The Marlins have managed to make quite a few splashes during the winter meetings and finally seem to be putting things together for another playoff run. Giving up DeScalfani had to be even harder a day after giving up another talented pitching prospect in Andrew Heaney, but getting Latos could be the biggest steal of the off-season.

It sucks that the Marlins are in such a deep division right now because they're trying to make a playoff push. I don't think they can win the division this year or get either wild card though. They have a possible ace with Latos, a guy with Ace potential in Fernandez, and Henderson Alvarez who also has tons of potential so their rotation is looking pretty good.

It sucks that the Marlins are in such a deep division right now because they're trying to make a playoff push. I don't think they can win the division this year or get either wild card though. They have a possible ace with Latos, a guy with Ace potential in Fernandez, and Henderson Alvarez who also has tons of potential so their rotation is looking pretty good.

It will definitely be a tough division for sure. The Mets are loaded with young pitching and should get Matt Harvey back to go with Wheeler, deGrom, and Niese or Gee (whichever they don't trade). Plus their top prospect in Noah Syndergaard.

The Nationals are somewhat of a mystery by not making any moves during the winter meetings. They could be in the mix for Scherzer, but until then I think they may have gotten worse losing LaRoche and possibly trading Ian Desmond.

The Phillies are rebuilding and should still move a few pieces before everything is said and done this off-season.

Atlanta will more then likely move Justin Upton for a few prospects and rebuild towards 2016 and 2017 when their new stadium is due to open.

After saying all that, it more then likely comes down to the Mets, Nationals and Marlins in the NL East this season.

Marlins win the division IMO. I guess Washington can get off their pitching but I expect that team to go south in a hurry like my Phillies did.

Werth is 36 now, R. Zimmerman is 31, their CF/lead off guy who's name is evading me atm is over 30 (they did let Laroche go who was mid 30's too) but who replaces him? I just see age hitting that team quickly in the next year or two.
They have youth in areas whereas the Phillies didn't so maybe they can hold it together & replace some of those guys at some point.

Werth is 36 now, R. Zimmerman is 31, their CF/lead off guy who's name is evading me atm is over 30 (they did let Laroche go who was mid 30's too) but who replaces him? I just see age hitting that team quickly in the next year or two.

Zimmerman is actually taking over 1st base and they are sliding Anthony Rondon from 2nd to 3rd (where he was playing while Zimmerman was hurt last season). Denard Span is the guy you are thinking of and he will be 31 on opening day.

They do have lots of talented pitching prospects that could make an impact like A.J. Cole or Lucas Giolito, but unless their team batting average gets better, I expect them to struggle as well.

Marlins win the division IMO. I guess Washington can get off their pitching but I expect that team to go south in a hurry like my Phillies did.

They have youth in areas whereas the Phillies didn't so maybe they can hold it together & replace some of those guys at some point.

The Nats let Laroche go to my Sox because I think they are going to turn Zimmerman into a 1B. That 24 yr old Rendon guy they have at 3B looks pretty good and of course Harper needs to get back to normal. Even though the Nats have some older guys, they also have a good core of young guys that they need to keep together to be competitive. The Nats have pitching so they will compete, but ultimately I think they will finish just behind the Braves.

The Marlins could win the division... it will come down to their lineup though. I still think they are a few bats away.

The Mets and Phillies are rebuilding.

I think the Braves are the team to beat in that division. It may not sound like much, but if he can stay healthy, Markakis is a nice pickup to go with some of their other bats. Yeah, losing Heyward was not ideal (even though he struggled last year) but Shelby Miller will do very well in the Braves' rotation. Pitching always wins.

The Nats let Laroche go to my Sox because I think they are going to turn Zimmerman into a 1B. That 24 yr old Rendon guy they have at 3B looks pretty good and of course Harper needs to get back to normal. Even though the Nats have some older guys, they also have a good core of young guys that they need to keep together to be competitive. The Nats have pitching so they will compete, but ultimately I think they will finish just behind the Braves.

The Marlins could win the division... it will come down to their lineup though. I still think they are a few bats away.

The Mets and Phillies are rebuilding.

I think the Braves are the team to beat in that division. It may not sound like much, but if he can stay healthy, Markakis is a nice pickup to go with some of their other bats. Yeah, losing Heyward was not ideal (even though he struggled last year) but Shelby Miller will do very well in the Braves' rotation. Pitching always wins.

No chance the Braves are the team to beat. Their rotation is decent, but they clearly can't score when you have two starters with sub 3.00 ERA's and they manage to have records of 14-13 and 11-11. Freddie Freeman is legit, but when guys can't get on base ahead of him and the protection they have behind him in the line up (Chris Johnson) was so bad the Astros and the D-backs didn't want him you need some serious help offensively. Justin Upton has one foot out the door whether it is free agency next season or a trade this season so he could care less

No chance the Braves are the team to beat. Their rotation is decent, but they clearly can't score when you have two starters with sub 3.00 ERA's and they manage to have records of 14-13 and 11-11. Freddie Freeman is legit, but when guys can't get on base ahead of him and the protection they have behind him in the line up (Chris Johnson) was so bad the Astros and the D-backs didn't want him you need some serious help offensively. Justin Upton has one foot out the door whether it is free agency next season or a trade this season so he could care less

I think the Braves end up battling for second with the Marlins but both fall short of a wild card spot. The Nationals have a lot of aging stars but they are still the team to beat because of their rotation. When you have pitching that good you have a great chance to get a playoff spot. Only way I see the Braves or Marlins winning the division is if the Nats pitchers miss significant time.

Melky Cabrera agrees to a deal with the White Sox

The White Sox continue to make big deals and this is another. Cabrera has looked solid over the last few season (how much of that was due to steroids I'm not sure), but he rebounded very well after the failed test by hitting .301 with 16 HRs and 73 RBIs. He should claim a starting position right away and potentially be the only guaranteed everyday starter in the White Sox outfield (Adam Eaton could be another, but who knows).

Three Team Trade Between the Padres, Rays and Nationals:

Wow, the Padres with another big splash, this time trading for Wil Myers from the Rays. Who would have ever imagined that the Rays would trade Myers after the year he had in 2013. He struggled last season, mainly injuries are to blame for that, but Myers just turned 24 and has loads of offensive potential and could be the future face of the franchise. So not only do you get a veteran in Matt Kemp from the Dodgers, but you pick up Wil Myers who is a future superstar in the same offseason.......consider this a very successful offseason for the Padres.

The Rays in this trade pick up a lot of young player in attempt to re-stock their farm system. They received a few nice pieces in the trade, one being Steven Souza from the Nationals who hit .350 with 18HRs, 75RBIs and 26SBs in his first season in Triple-A.

The Nationals may not have gotten as many players in this deal, but what they lacked in quantity they made up for in quality. Joe Ross was San Diego's 1st round pick in 2011 and has a fastball that sits in the mid-90's. Ross is also the younger brother of Padres' breakout pitcher Tyson Ross. The Nationals also picked up Trea Turner who was San Diego's 1st rounder this past draft and hit a combined .323 through two levels of Single-A and has speed for days (23 stolen bases in 69 total games).

Damn Padres add Justin Upton now too. They're swinging for the fences this year

New GM means new rules in San Diego I guess. I love the moves they are making and they haven't had to give up Ross, Kennedy or Cashner. Now I am really curious to see what they do with their outfielders from last season (Maybin, Quintin and Venable).

New GM means new rules in San Diego I guess. I love the moves they are making and they haven't had to give up Ross, Kennedy or Cashner. Now I am really curious to see what they do with their outfielders from last season (Maybin, Quintin and Venable).

I've heard they haven't let go of their top 4 prospects yet. We got Elfin from the Dodgers in the Jimmy trade which i guess the Dodgers got from them in the Kemp trade? But I've heard rumors that they might be willing to part w/ 3 top prospects to get Cole Hamels. He's from San Diego and they feel it would be a feel good story. Who knows though, I say the more teams interested the better so why not?

I've heard they haven't let go of their top 4 prospects yet. We got Elfin from the Dodgers in the Jimmy trade which i guess the Dodgers got from them in the Kemp trade? But I've heard rumors that they might be willing to part w/ 3 top prospects to get Cole Hamels. He's from San Diego and they feel it would be a feel good story. Who knows though, I say the more teams interested the better so why not?

I wouldn't put it past them to trade for Hamels, but I actually like the pieces they have. They can't sell the entire farm system in one offseason otherwise they will be rebuilding after 2 years.

Yankees trade Martin Prado to the Marlins for Nathan Eovaldi in a 5-player deal.

The Marlins acquired infielder Martin Prado from the Yankees on Friday, along with pitcher David Phelps. Going to the Bronx are starter Nathan Eovaldi, first baseman/outfielder Garrett Jones and Single-A pitcher Domingo German. The Yankees are also including cash in the deal that covers the extra money Prado would have cost Miami.

Yankees trade Martin Prado to the Marlins for Nathan Eovaldi in a 5-player deal.

The Marlins acquired infielder Martin Prado from the Yankees on Friday, along with pitcher David Phelps. Going to the Bronx are starter Nathan Eovaldi, first baseman/outfielder Garrett Jones and Single-A pitcher Domingo German. The Yankees are also including cash in the deal that covers the extra money Prado would have cost Miami.

Completely forgot to post this one. I like the pick up for the Yankees. Eovaldi has loads of potential and he will be the Yankees #5 starter going in to spring training. Garrett Jones has a chance to have a great year with the short porch in RF.