Fag-Gate... Respect my opinion, whats yours?

Jah

completely agree. I dont condone calling a gay person a fag. If people would look at the context words are used in before "being offended" the world would be a better place. I think blacks are over sensitive to the word Nigger. I under stadn why they dont want to be called a nigger. But why are they mad when it isnt used in a negative manner? There are caess of white guys pretending to be black and saying the word in a friendly way that other blacks use it and they get assulted. Its to the point now Black can almost get by with murder if you use the N word. They are already getting off for attacks where they claimed someone called them the N word. I could set up a secret word like "Blue" and tell my friends it means Nigger. If the black guy knows about my secret word does it make it any less offensive? After all i mean to say Nigger without actually saying it. So when d we look at the meaning rather than the words? Words are meaningless without their context.

• Downvote 1

Precisely, I shared a flat in my youth with a Pakistani woman who I called a paki and she called me a cracker. At no point did either of us get offended by it, no racial or homophobic slur is worse than other insults like bastard (to someone that's lost their parents) or retard (to someone that's mentally handicapped) but those two get all the plaudits. Ironically, almost all gay men are fine with the term fag (a gay man's female friend is referred to as a fag hag) and almost all black men are fine with the word nigger (what they call each other and their white friends) its simply the do gooders telling us all that its not ok that means its taboo and universally offensive

If you say anything with the intent of being racist or homophobic then that's what it is, racist or homophobic. If you say it as a word or as a joke between friends then that is also what it is, a word or joke

The only time its an issue is on places like this where its just writing. Then things can get misconstrued and come across different than intended, so on public forums or anywhere that's written like newspapers, I agree you have to be careful what you say. If its in person then use your brain people and work out from the tone and body language the meaning of the word, not just the word itself

It's all about tolerance and that goes two ways. Of course gays don't like it when people use homo or a slang with similar meaning as a derogatory term. And when people say that it isn't to offend gays but just to be derogatory that doesn't make it better. I don't think it's that big a deal, but I'm not gay and I do think that it's in poor taste. There are so many derogatory terms, surely people can come up with something better. If you can't than you're an idiot.

• Upvote 1

Not doubting that Steeve, my point was simply that if I choose to pick that word to say in jest or in a general fun insult way (same as saying 'oi cock muncher where you been?') Then it shouldn't be a big deal

Derogatory or with the intent to be racist or homophobic is a whole different ball game

Yeah people are oversensitive, its like using the word "gay" it self. They got all these commericals now with that lady wanda sykes or w.e about not using the word gay to describe something bad or stupid.

Example,

At work, "This is gay im bored i wanna go home."

I don't see the big deal in that.

The word faggot I think depends, the other day me and a few friends were at this girls house, and her gay friend was over too.. At one point me and my friend were goin back n forth and he said "your a faggot," like loud and shit right at me in front of everyone including the gay dude. It made the situation really awkward and he was like "oh shit srry" The word it self is used so much that its not aimed at being negative towards gays for the most part, but like in this situation it made everything awkward for a little.

Heres the thing tho, gays don't like people using this word, even if most the time it's used it's not offensive towards gays they don't like the word, it's pretty much a respect thing. You know they don't like the word, so even tho your not saying it offensive your being disrespectful when you say it.

It's like if I say don't touch my ps3, and everyday you wake up and pick my ps3 and throw it out the window.

Yeah people are oversensitive, its like using the word "gay" it self. They got all these commericals now with that lady wanda sykes or w.e about not using the word gay to describe something bad or stupid.

Example,

At work, "This is gay im bored i wanna go home."

I don't see the big deal in that.

The word faggot I think depends, the other day me and a few friends were at this girls house, and her gay friend was over too.. At one point me and my friend were goin back n forth and he said "your a faggot," like loud and shit right at me in front of everyone including the gay dude. It made the situation really awkward and he was like "oh shit srry" The word it self is used so much that its not aimed at being negative towards gays for the most part, but like in this situation it made everything awkward for a little.

Heres the thing tho, gays don't like people using this word, even if most the time it's used it's not offensive towards gays they don't like the word, it's pretty much a respect thing. You know they don't like the word, so even tho your not saying it offensive your being disrespectful when you say it.

It's like if I say don't touch my ps3, and everyday you wake up and pick my ps3 and throw it out the window.

If I threw your PS3 out of the window I think you'd be pretty annoyed regardless of whether or not you've told me to touch it!!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a problem with poofs. My brother is a queer too so I was raised around it.

I will say however I have no gay friends and don't want any. The common personality traits exhibited by many many gay men I consider annoying, childish and a bit perverted too.

For these reasons I don't have any gay friends and I don't want any gay friends.