The 2015/2016 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

Yup meant O'Brien sorry I'm miles away. Lanzini is still 'on loan' (or was) even after we paid for him till seasons end. Randy isn't a bad GK at all but at his age I assume he wants to play which doesn't look likely at West Ham. Obiang has done nothing wrong but with Nordviet arriving and Oxford needing game time his time looks up.

The transfer market is going to be tough but we don't need too much thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Our defense will be the undoing this year. The rest of the squad looks pretty solid tbh but I'm not going into the Euro's with high expectations ... again lol

I think we lack width up front and a proper midfield dynamo type (someone like Dembele or Kante). Our central defense is lacking as you mentioned, but all in all, i think this squad is at least looking more promising than what we sent to the World Cup. Not overly confident either, but in our case that is probably a good think.

Been pretty unimpressed with Roy taking players with pretty much no game time and injury problems, one maybe okay but four is a pretty big risk and if Dier takes a knock or suspension no natural DM to cover him. Still as long as we get out of the group it will be better than last time round.

This is probably my choice for England first XI right now:

http://bbc.in/1P0WE7d

(Hmm no image

Hart

Rose

Smalling

Cahill

Walker

Dier

Milner

Lallana

Alli

Rooney

Kane

4-2-3-1

Not happy with Cahill, Hart, Lallana but no better alternatives. I appear to have been sold on the Rooney conundrum!

I got the following:

Hart

Rose

Cahill

Smalling

Clyne

Dier

Alli

Milner

Rooney

Kane

Vardy

4-4-2 (diamond central)

Much better squad in my opinion.

I've got no faith in any England team, regardless of who is in it, that is managed by Roy Hodgson. He has his favourites he will pick all the time regardless, and quite frankly, I think he is a sub standard manager. People point at his Fulham run, but they did the same years back with Steve "Wally with the Brolly" McClaren and his Middlesborough run. Personally, I would have left Wilshere out of the squad, and Henderson, although Henderson was doing quietly okay before his injury, and I would have taken Mark Noble and Danny Drinkwater, who have been arguably the two best English midfielders of the whole season.

I find Hodgson's statement against picking Mark Noble ("I won't pick players who are flavour of the month") quite funny considering he has picked Marcus Rashford, who has only been around for half a season, and he also picks Wilshere who has played fuck all this year while Noble and Drinkwater have been consistently good for the entire season (And in Noble's case cos I didn't really pay attention to Drinkwater before this year, it would be for the past 2/3 years he has been consistently putting in great performances). I don't have a problem with bringing him, but to bring him after using that reasoning for another player is laughable.

Let's be honest here, Roy is a bit daft to say the least. Wilshire over Drinkwater? Drinkwater had a fantastic season, i know he was somewhat unknown until now, but i look at now, not 4-5 years ago when Wilshire was suppose to be the new big thing. Drinkwater also gives us a lot more options out there, not just as a central midfielder. I would pick Drinkwater over Henderson as well, maybe over Milner, but that would mean we lack any real cover ad DM (even though Milner is not a pure DM).

I am also baffled that Rushford got picked, this could potentially ruin the kids career as well. He should of been given time to develop and not simply added to the team after a dozen+ games. He could be the future, but he has a long way to go still. Personally i would had picked Defoe, he had a fantastic season on a very poor team. 15 goals playing for Sunderland is like scoring 40 goals for a top level team. He is also a proven scorer and always seems to be left out and underappreciated.

Another player which was unfairly left out was Morgan. Considering the lack of depth at DC, you would think the current Captain of the best team in the league, also named in the main 11 if i am not mistaken would be an option right? Not if you are Roy Hodgson. He went for Stones instead, which had a very poor season overall. Roy is clearly trying to pick young/talented players instead of proven talent on form. Form seems to be pretty much irrelevant to Roy in general, i have no idea why he even goes to watch the football games on the weekend.

Mentor :')

Firstly, Wes Morgan is Jamaican.

But James Milner is crucial to the England squad and should be starting. One of the most underrated football players. Most BPL assists in 2016 and provides crucial experience within a team lacking in experience or leadership.

Although I do agree Drinkwater should be in the squad over Wilshere or even Henderson. Wilshere being the obvious choice, but Drinkwater should also be selected over Hendo. Neither Hendo or Wilshere should be anywhere near the starting XI and Drinkwater could link up nicely with Vardy.

Yeah I like your team. I think Roy will go with more like my team, ie less exciting! But Vardy certainly is a serious goal threat, unlike Lallana. As a Liverpool fan I've not been that impressed with Clyne recently. I think Walker has more potential.

Yeah I like your team. I think Roy will go with more like my team, ie less exciting! But Vardy certainly is a serious goal threat, unlike Lallana. As a Liverpool fan I've not been that impressed with Clyne recently. I think Walker has more potential.

I'm also a LFC fan, Clyne offers more defensively.

Also - Sturridge clearly needs a game up front.

Also - Lallana is average, Vardy much more of a goal threat as you've said.

Also - Henderson shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI

Drinkwater and Noble should have made the team instead of Wilshire and Henderson. Jordan Henderson is the new Michael Carrick, absurdly over rated by numerous people, primarily because he's English. I can think of many many other players I'd rather have in my team before I'd have Jordan Henderson.

I feel bad for Noble because he is harbouring hopes of an England call up he won't get under Hodgson, and at 29 he hasn't got years ahead of him, maybe 2 world cups and a Euro if he doesn't degrade horribly. I'd love for him to accept a call up to the Irish national team, just because he deserves to be competing on the international stage.

Drinkwater and Noble should have made the team instead of Wilshire and Henderson. Jordan Henderson is the new Michael Carrick, absurdly over rated by numerous people, primarily because he's English. I can think of many many other players I'd rather have in my team before I'd have Jordan Henderson.

I do not think Henderson is that bad of a player, but you are right, he is overrated for sure. Also DAMN, i did not know Morgan was Jamaican, lol. I have been petitioning him to be part of the England squad among English fans for the past 2 weeks and nobody brought that up.

I do not think Henderson is that bad of a player, but you are right, he is overrated for sure. Also DAMN, i did not know Morgan was Jamaican, lol. I have been petitioning him to be part of the England squad among English fans for the past 2 weeks and nobody brought that up.

To be honest, I thought Morgan was an English international until around a month ago :')

Baffled by Wilshire being in the sqaud, he has almost fuck all this season. Drinkwater has been consistently awesome, him and Vardy have a great partnership. Really hope they don't give Roy a new contract after this tournament

Baffled by Wilshire being in the sqaud, he has almost fuck all this season. Drinkwater has been consistently awesome, him and Vardy have a great partnership. Really hope they don't give Roy a new contract after this tournament

The rumors going around are that Wilshire could even start games, now that would be even more unusual.