CM Punk rated 85 out of 100 in new UFC video game...

mersh

Fair enough, I guess its because wwe isn't really that popular where im from, or it doesnt seem it is anyway so I dont really think about CM Punk as being on the same level as Bruce Lee, its just about the selling points for the game and if he's that popular they yea it makes sense from a design standpoint.

Well no one thinks he's on that level, not even EA who made him no where near as good. CM Punk is the same as Bruce Lee. Sure, he's going to have a fight some time and Bruce Lee obviously couldn't have but as EA, Dana White and anyone not in his gym hasn't even seen him sparring, his stats are all question marks. As we hadn't ever seen Bruce Lee in a real fight there are only a few things that aren't question marks for him. As a result, they just do whatever makes sense for the game. CM Punk, why not put him in the game? He's on the roster, people will want to play with him, makes complete sense. If you give him "50" on the stats, boom, this guy loses every jab he takes. Why would you want that to happen? Who wants to play with a guy who CAN'T win? So they likely gave him fairly average stats and average moves. Bruce Lee, who wants to play as Bruce Lee and NOT imagine he's the greatest martial artist of all time? You want to play with this guy and imagine he's incredible, so they gave him really high stats so he can compete with the best. It's just about making them enjoyable. Shaq for a while could have been a fighter, I believe he thought about it. They gave him equal to other guys stats in Undisputed 2010. Same thing.

What you REALLY should be complaining about; in EA UFC 1 Chael Sonnen has a gogoplata from the mount top position :D

Bruce Lee fought in legit fights his whole life as well as demonstrations. He also knew Judo and other grappling based martial arts very well.. He was the first real "Mixed Martial Artist"... with today's advances and everything availible to athletes now compared to then, Bruce Lee would smash the UFC roster today if he was prime Bruce Lee, all opinion though,

Bruce Lee fought in legit fights his whole life as well as demonstrations. He also knew Judo and other grappling based martial arts very well.. He was the first real "Mixed Martial Artist"... with today's advances and everything availible to athletes now compared to then, Bruce Lee would smash the UFC roster today if he was prime Bruce Lee, all opinion though,

Show me some evidence of these legit fights. Gym fights don't count for the record. We're talking proper straight up fights in a competitive environment.

Also, he was in no way shape or form the first real "mixed martial artist". This is just a common misconception. Every martial art is a mix of other martial art. A lot now begin to keep their traditional roots and don't learn new stuff, but when a martial art begins it doesn't start with a dude who has never trained before. A martial art creator uses techniques he has experiences through different training methods and puts together what he feels works. Bruce Lee didn't revolutionize this thinking. This has been done since the dawn of combat.

He "knew Judo and other grappling based martial arts very well". VERY WELL? You mean he rolled with Gene LeBell? Knowing something very well in martial arts terms is studying it for years. There isn't a man on the UFC roster that Bruce Lee would be a grappling threat to. Paul Daley's knowledge of grappling makes Bruce Lee look like Bruce Lee makes me look, and Paul Daley is often considered one of the worst MMA grapplers. This is because Daley's training has consisted of rolling with hundreds of elite BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Wrestling based fighters, much more than the 1-10 Bruce Lee likely rolled with. Bruce Lee wouldn't have been able to handle Rickson Gracie in a street fight and Rickson proved that by beating up people all over the world from different styles in actual live fights.

Bruce Lee doesn't have fighting experience. His knowledge of grappling is NOTHING compared to what people know now. I'd say a BJJ Yellow Belt from a half decent camp knows twice as much about grappling on the ground as Bruce Lee did. The game has evolved so much and the cross training of styles, you just can't compare Bruce Lee to the guys in 2016.

What evidence do you have that Bruce Lee could smash the roster? What was his jab like in a fight? Which way would he circle? How was his head movement? Could he check a kick? Was he weak to body shots? Did he has a solid chin? Was he able to hand fight? Could he deal with pressure? Was he a counter fighter?

I don't mean to be a dick mate, but you know the answer to NONE of these questions. Not one. He wasn't a fighter, he was a martial artist and movie star. That's it. The difference between being a martial artist and being a fighter is unending, and if you need proof of that google Fred Ettish.

• Upvote 1

I stopped reading when you said "Rickson Gracie" ... LOL..There is logic to your argument but it's purely opinion, I def don't know what Bruce Lee knew, but you don't either so you can't make those claims and sound legit to me, probably like my argument you didn't like either haha.

And I read the rest after Rickson and it's all good, I like hearing people's thoughts on the sport and evolution of it, sall good I know you're not being a dick, not everyone has the same thoughts on stuff and we're big enough to understand that :)

I stopped reading when you said "Rickson Gracie" ... LOL..There is logic to your argument but it's purely opinion, I def don't know what Bruce Lee knew, but you don't either so you can't make those claims and sound legit to me, probably like my argument you didn't like either haha.

And I read the rest after Rickson and it's all good, I like hearing people's thoughts on the sport and evolution of it, sall good I know you're not being a dick, not everyone has the same thoughts on stuff and we're big enough to understand that :)

You stopped reading when I mentioned a guy who went all around the world submitting people with his stellar jiu jitsu because they'd never faced it before?

I'm not defending their placement of Punk's rating, he's not that good. But to complain about Punk is to complain about Bruce. They are both "gimmick" additions to the roster. Punk being competitive is as bad as Bruce being dominant. Neither can be considered MMA fighters so they have little to no skill in it.

Bruce after a few years of training different elements of his game with the type of people available in 2016, I reckon he'd likely be a beast. Different timeline though.You never know how someone is going to react to a punch in the face. I myself train twice a week and often feel I do brilliant in sparring. But it's non-contact for the most part. That doesn't help me. How do I know how I'll react if a guy outside the nightclub lands a full force right hook? Will I freeze up? Will I take it and fight back? I haven't really faced it yet so how will I know? Same with Bruce Lee. He took a few shots in his younger years but if he took a Robbie Lawler right hook, is he gonna be okay? Who knows, you know? :D

Rickson was an amazing BJJ guy, but in MMA his undefeated record and mma career is a joke....

Don't get me wrong Rickson loses to anyone I've mentioned from modern MMA too. What I'm saying is back then, Rickson used to go around gyms submitting people because the level of BJJ Vs the level of grappling they knew just wasn't enough. Royce in the first days is an example too. A few people were well rounded enough back then. Bas Rutten, Ken Shamrock and some more Pancrase guys, but if in 1992 guys were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too one dimensional...how could Bruce Lee have known everything you know? Even BJJ guys from Bruce's day wouldn't last with Royce and Rickson mose likely.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/1/11/10752028/mma-news-cm-punk-given-85-100-rating-ea-sports-ufc-2

Anyone else find this mildly enraging? He hasn't had one fight yet but he's already ranked higher in the video game than a bunch of veteran fighters.

Man....the almighty dollar is all that matters at the end of the day.

EDIT: I just did some digging around....and supposedly Connor McGregor is a fucking 89. FOUR POINTS above Punk. I call BS.

I extremely dislike the rating system of the UFC game, I thought they would change it, but it looks like they are not. Considering the lowest ranked fighter (Pat Barry) was rated an 84. THQ's rating system was a lot better.

I love me some Bruce, but he stands no chance with modern MMA fighters. There's amateurs out there that would fuck him up lol.

I dont play video games, I havent since my sons old Playstation and I would play his Hitman games. But I have to agree, Bruce Lee would not stand a chance today as you all have said. But it is also smart to add him. There are a lot of young kids that play these games that probably dont even watch MMA, but I dont know many guys that have never seen a Bruce Lee movie. So adding him and making him good just makes sence for a sales standpoint. Just like on here people play them for fun, not because they are real and want to see if Bruce can whip Connor.

I extremely dislike the rating system of the UFC game, I thought they would change it, but it looks like they are not. Considering the lowest ranked fighter (Pat Barry) was rated an 84. THQ's rating system was a lot better.

This is the point here...I mean the lowest rating being 84. the solution is in front of anyone's eyes:

scale it in a way that 84 becomes 0 and 100 well, 100.

as for the bruce, cm debate, it's pointless and leads back to the mayweather rousey scenario.

and the important thing here is: will Fedor be on the roster?

Edited by Torrelio

No. He's not part of the UFC roster so I don't think they'll have the rights to include him into the game.

Maybe If they include j.singh then they can say he's undefeated except for the loss against fedor and that should get him a rating in the 90's

So who wants to make the thread pissed off because Mike Tyson has more than 1 takedown and submission defence? No one? But, but...but it was a big deal with Punk?

I imagine the people bitching about CM Punk's rating could read me off a massive list of things relating to the anti-trust lawsuit.

Mike Tyson is an actual fighter. Professional fighter. Well he was. He's like Bruce Lee. CM Punk is signed to the actual UFC roster and suppose to fight people on the roster. He shouldn't be rated higher than any body he can't beat in an MMA fight.

If Ray Mercer showed us anything, it's that Mike Tyson has a helluva punchers chance vs anybody silly enough to stand with him.

• Upvote 1

Guys this is just a game. Who cares how much ranked is he there? You really think it would be better if he would be ranked 30 and would be useless there? No of course.

If Ray Mercer showed us anything, it's that Mike Tyson has a helluva punchers chance vs anybody silly enough to stand with him.

He also showed what happens to boxers who has no ground game against Kimbo Slice.

You guys are quick to judge CM Punk but all support Mike Tyson. If you want th game to be based on real MMA then Tyson would have go down with first takedown attemp same as James Toney did and then what would be the point of Tyson in the game?

Mike Tyson is an actual fighter. Professional fighter. Well he was. He's like Bruce Lee. CM Punk is signed to the actual UFC roster and suppose to fight people on the roster. He shouldn't be rated higher than any body he can't beat in an MMA fight.

But Mike Tyson should have zero wrestling should he not? Mike probably can't beat a single decent wrestler in the entire Heavyweight division. They just shoot in with the low ankle pick and finish the fight. Mike Tyson said he couldn't beat Royce Gracie in a fight, so not he's supposed to beat Cain Velasquez?

Also, he's a professional fighter.......like Bruce Lee? That's like saying CM Punk is a pro wrestler like Mike Tyson since Tyson has done a few WWE skits in his time. Bruce Lee was never, in any way shape or form, a professional fighter. His fighting experience is next to non existent. I probably know lads from around the town who have been in more fights than Bruce Lee. He might have been INCREDIBLE in a fight, I'm not gonna blanket say he wouldn't be.....but there's ZERO evidence to suggest that Bruce Lee could land a punch, dodge a punch or take a punch, so why is he a professional fighter exactly? He's not even an amateur fighter.

Ray Mercer fought a striker. Completely give credit to Mercer, CRACKING KO and even though Sylvia was never the greatest ever, he WAS not long before a UFC Champion. But Mercer wouldn't have been able to do that to Cain, Couture, hell even Ken or Dan Severn. He'd have a small chance of it, but that would be like one in a couple of thousand.

But as I said before, it's a game. Who the fuck wants to play as "Can't defend a single takedown" Mike Tyson? Hell, if this was real Mike Tyson could beat anyone in the entire game with a right hook. Literally all he needs is one right hook to win a fight, how can you play that? Tyson having grappling skills, Bruce Lee being one of the best in the game....like it or not lads these are the exact same as CM Punk having average MMA fighter skills.

But as I said before, it's a game. Who the fuck wants to play as "Can't defend a single takedown" Mike Tyson? Hell, if this was real Mike Tyson could beat anyone in the entire game with a right hook. Literally all he needs is one right hook to win a fight, how can you play that? Tyson having grappling skills, Bruce Lee being one of the best in the game....like it or not lads these are the exact same as CM Punk having average MMA fighter skills.

I can only agree to this guy. People bitch about CM Punk because they dont like him (I also dislike him and think he should not be in the UFC but this is a game) not because its wrong that he has good stats in the game. When Tyson has good takedown defense everyone is perfectly fine with it and can find tons of excuses about that.

• Upvote 1

I can only agree to this guy. People bitch about CM Punk because they dont like him (I also dislike him and think he should not be in the UFC but this is a game) not because its wrong that he has good stats in the game. When Tyson has good takedown defense everyone is perfectly fine with it and can find tons of excuses about that.

Yeah I'm only using Mike's TDD as an example. If I was buying the game (no PS4. Gutted that I cant. PS4s too expensive for me for the time being), I'd love to fight with Tyson, Lee and Punk. Hell I'd love to fight with Daron Cruickshank, Clay Collard and Jared Rosholt. Anyone they can add, the better the game becomes.

Yeah I'm only using Mike's TDD as an example. If I was buying the game (no PS4. Gutted that I cant. PS4s too expensive for me for the time being), I'd love to fight with Tyson, Lee and Punk. Hell I'd love to fight with Daron Cruickshank, Clay Collard and Jared Rosholt. Anyone they can add, the better the game becomes.

Mike Tyson and Bruce Lee are legends.

CM Punk is a professional wrestler turned pro. Essential to Brock Lesnar, but without the UFC HW title credentials.

Personally, I don't give a shit. But if I was a fighter on UFC roster I'd be pissed if CM Punk was rated higher than me if I can kick his ass.

Mike Tyson and Bruce Lee are legends.

CM Punk is a professional wrestler turned pro. Essential to Brock Lesnar, but without the UFC HW title credentials.

Personally, I don't give a shit. But if I was a fighter on UFC roster I'd be pissed if CM Punk was rated higher than me if I can kick his ass.

Mike Tyson - Legend of boxing.

Bruce Lee - Legend of martial arts demonstrations and movies in the 70s.

CM Punk - Legend of pro wrestling.

How does any of this mean any one of the three can defend a takedown from an collegiate wrestling champion?

Mike Tyson - Legend of boxing.

Bruce Lee - Legend of martial arts demonstrations and movies in the 70s.

CM Punk - Legend of pro wrestling.

How does any of this mean any one of the three can defend a takedown from an collegiate wrestling champion?

hmmm, CM Punk, a legend?

Anyway, I'm glad they add him and Tyson and Bruce Lee. I think it would even more fun if they would add more "fun" characters to the mix like Gabi Garcia, Eddie Bravo, even more gracies, bob sapp, the mountain, "a normal 5'7" dude", a horse, etc,...

As for the ratings, that's another story. I would very annoyed if Tyson can stuff more than 1 takedown per round and do anything more than scrambling on the ground.

As for CM, until he fights, no one really knows how good/bad he is so there is no point discussing it that much. The solution, from my part, would be to randomize his ratings everytime you start the game. Sometimes he will surprise and be good and sometimes he would suck balls.

• Upvote 1