The New Players Guide to Effective Fighter Building

PSUMike

The noobs guide to fighter building.

Other experienced users can feel to contribute and weigh in their opinions. I have enough fights under my belt that I think I know how to build fighters and I’ve been pretty successful. So I am creating this guide to help some newer users who may not know what they are doing. Now in all cases, conditioning and strength are very important so I am omitting them from essentials. But, on the same coin, they are very easy to train up. So I like to start my guys with 1 strength point and 10 in conditioning and spend a few weeks training them up. I also feel it is beneficial to have a moderate understanding of clinchwork. I like to give all my fighters some clinchwork, but other users may disagree. So, I am also going to omit clinchwork from my guide.

There are several ways to build fighters. Some work, some don’t. This guide should give you a pretty good understanding of how to build a good fighter. I am adding examples from in game fighters.

Styles that work:

Chuck Liddell (my personal favorite and most successful) – This is your standard sprawl and brawl boxer. They require good boxing and wrestling in the main stats. On top of that, good punches, takedown defense, striking defense, and defensive grappling are essential for success. In the physical stats, agility for the striking and balance for the takedown defense will help your guy tremendously. Recommended hidden stats: Natural KO power and Granite Chin

Rufus Lee

Cro Cop – This is your Chuck Liddell with Muay Thai instead of boxing. High MT and wrestling are essential. Good kicks, punches, td defense, striking defense, and defensive grappling will keep the fight on the feet and your shin in your opponent’s jaw. Agility, balance, and flexibility are essential. Recommended hidden stats: Natural KO power and Granite chin

Gay Pride (this is an early stage Cro Cop)

Jake Rosholt – This is your typical one dimensional wrestler. Probably something like wonderful wrestling with a blue belt. Don’t be afraid to put a little in his boxing as well. In order to pull this off, you need high striking defense, takedown offense and defense, as well as ground and pound or submissions (one or the other to start and build the other in the long run) and defensive grappling. The best physicals to have are speed and balance. Recommended hidden stats: Granite chin and big heart

Alexander Karelin

Damien Maia – Your BJJ stud who knows nothing else. There is only one, ONE way to pull this off successfully. High BJJ and the rest in wrestling…any other way is a recipe for failure. Striking defense, takedown offense, submissions, and defensive grappling are all needed to make a Maia. As far as physicals, flexibility and balance will help a lot. Recommended hidden stats: Granite chin and big heart

Wade Wilson

BJ Penn – This is your boxer/BJJ player mix. This one is a bit tricky and somewhat complicated but very effective if you can pull it off successfully. I like to go with high level punches, striking defense, submissions, and defensive grappling. You can also put some into takedown defense and build up his wrestling in case you fight a Maia. For this one, you’ll need agility and flexibility. Recommended hidden stats: KO power and big heart/granite chin

Layne Staley

Matt Hughes – This fighter is a top position grappler but more multi-faceted than a Rosholt. You can probably do it with maybe respectable wrestling and proficient BJJ or something of the sort. In order to pull this off, I suggest good striking defense, takedowns, either GNP or subs (I prefer submissions), and defensive grappling. Physical stats needed are speed and balance. If you go for subs over GNP, add some flexibility as well. Recommended hidden stats: Granite chin and big heart

Steve Austin

Anderson Silva – You guessed it. This is a MT/BJJ player. Maybe Pele would be a better fighter to describe this style but I am not sure how many people know who Jose “Pele” Landi Jons is. But I digress. Here’s how to pull this one off. I like to start them with somewhere around proficient MT and BJJ and then I like to build their boxing. Good kicks, knees, punches, striking defense, submissions, and defensive grappling are needed. You can also throw in some takedown defense and build his wrestling in case you fight a Maia but that is a matter of personal preference. Agility and flexibility are needed to be effective. Recommended hidden stats: Natural KO power and granite chin

Harry Kalas

Josh Koscheck - I am not too familiar with this style as I have never created one of these. But, this is essentially a wrestler with hands. You are going to need high boxing and wrestling, much like a Liddell but you need some other secondary stats that a Liddell wouldn't need. Punches, striking defense, takedown offense and defense, and defensive grappling. As far as physicals go, you'll need agility for striking, speed for the takedowns, and balance to stuff the takedowns and to maintain top control. This is particularly effective due to its versitility. Recommended hidden stats: Natural KO power and either heart or granite chin.

Bulk Bogan

Styles you should avoid:

I am not going to give examples because that has potential to embarrass managers.

Michael Bisping – These guys are mediocre at everything but in reality, they suck in general. They can’t KO people (unless they suck), they can’t sub people (unless they suck), and as soon as they fight a specialized, properly built fighter, they get destroyed. Personally, when I see I am fighting a Bisping, I know I am going to win. Now this is a very controversial topic because some other respected managers will disagree with me and say this is an effective style. I say look at the top 10 P4P and tell me how many Bispings are on that list.

Nate Diaz – High level BJJ and shitty boxing…nothing more. As a general rule of thumb, when you build a high level BJJ player, make sure you give them wrestling. Otherwise, they are going to get KOd virtually every time they fight.

For those curious, my team consists of a Hughes, a Maia, 2 BJ Penns, a Cro Cop, and 5 Liddells.

Other managers feel free to add your opinions.

Great work man! But how would you do a George St Pierre? High Muay Thay and Wrestling with good submissions, granite chin and gameplan?

What about a Machida?

Don't really think you can create GSP or Machida straight off the bat, considering how good they are at everything. I'd probably start with a Anderson Silva\BJ Penn build for Machida, and for GSP, I guess you can start off with whatever you like, seeing as he's pretty much a fighting potato (you can use him for everything).

Don't really think you can create GSP or Machida straight off the bat, considering how good they are at everything. I'd probably start with a Anderson Silva\BJ Penn build for Machida, and for GSP, I guess you can start off with whatever you like, seeing as he's pretty much a fighting potato (you can use him for everything).

Exactly. Its like trying to create Fedor. You can't build a model that good off the bat. If you wanted a GSP, I'd start with a Hughes build and then work his stand up.

Some managers have stated that they tried doing a Machida with jacked up defense in everything but it didn't go as planned. I haven't tried it but some say its tough.

Exactly. Its like trying to create Fedor. You can't build a model that good off the bat. If you wanted a GSP, I'd start with a Hughes build and then work his stand up.

Some managers have stated that they tried doing a Machida with jacked up defense in everything but it didn't go as planned. I haven't tried it but some say its tough.

Well, you could also start him out as a Crocop, seeing as his standup is pretty good.

I might try a Machida in the close future. Will probably look a lot like a Anderson Silva with insane defenses, speed, and less focus on the clinch, which opens up for more points to spread around. I still think it will be nigh-impossible to recreate his style, seeing as he's using highly unorthodox sweeps, setups, combinations and footwork, but hey, I might just pull it off.

In my experience agiliy is one of the toughies. Speed gets a decent peripheral gain from strength, so if you're starting out with useless strength, you'll get some decent gains in speed during that process.

In my experience agiliy is one of the toughies. Speed gets a decent peripheral gain from strength, so if you're starting out with useless strength, you'll get some decent gains in speed during that process.

Honestly, I find agility to be easy. But when I am looking for an agility pop, I usually do yoga.

People always forget Chuck Liddell was a purple belt.

likely because the only time we see Chuck go to the ground is after he's been clocked by another overhand right.

he allegedly has a strong wrestling base, but other than the great sprawl to keep it standing, we wouldn't know about that, either.

On the BJJ belts and Liddell being a Purple:

At least Blue Belt when you start your fighter regardless of his type seems to be a good insurance policy just in case it goes to ground. What would be better: White Belt with Wonderful Def G, or Blue Belt with Strong Def G? I'd take the Blue because i'd think he'd also be better at advancing position.

On the BJJ belts and Liddell being a Purple:

At least Blue Belt when you start your fighter regardless of his type seems to be a good insurance policy just in case it goes to ground. What would be better: White Belt with Wonderful Def G, or Blue Belt with Strong Def G? I'd take the Blue because i'd think he'd also be better at advancing position.

I'd take the white belt with wonderful submission defense. You get from a white belt to to a blue belt in like a of week sparring with an average learner, getting from strong to wonderful in a secondary skill takes a lot longer.

I just made a fighter with 110 boxing, 1 MT, 1 BJJ, and 29?(I think that's what left) with wonderful punches, striking d, takedown d, and the rest to D grappling. I put his physical points to what I have read makes a great sprawl and brawler. I plan to work his wrestling up(have my own sparring partners), is this a good way to plan a project fighter?

I just made a fighter with 110 boxing, 1 MT, 1 BJJ, and 29?(I think that's what left) with wonderful punches, striking d, takedown d, and the rest to D grappling. I put his physical points to what I have read makes a great sprawl and brawler. I plan to work his wrestling up(have my own sparring partners), is this a good way to plan a project fighter?

that fighter is not 18.

Its better to make projects 18

I'd take the white belt with wonderful submission defense. You get from a white belt to to a blue belt in like a of week sparring with an average learner, getting from strong to wonderful in a secondary skill takes a lot longer.

Well yeah, that's a good argument for making a White Belt.. what i said though about a Blue/Strong being better than a White/Wonderful on the ground in an actual fight though still stands, even if it's more favourable to start as a White/Wonderful if you're going to train a bit.

question

To what level do you train your fighters conditioning assuming it is the first thing you start training and will probably never do cardio after that.

Its a matter of personal preference. I like to get it up to remarkable then work other stuff. As time goes on, I will put more time into cardio and get it up over wonderful. But, in my opinion, remarkable is more than enough to start training other things. With strength, I'd go higher.

If you want to see if your fighter has any high hidden skills, don't train strength above superb before your first match. If you do it just shows Powerful or similar in the tale of the tape, meaning the high strength physical. I don't know what level of conditioning it will start to show good gas tank, Sensational?