LA fights/events didn't take place yet..?

I was watching closely tonight. It was a bit weird. Everything seems to have taken place about 3 minutes after it should have, so I don't know if the server clock is fucked up or something. Anyway, there really wasnt much server load from the fights themselves, so I think the load must be coming from somewhere else and blocking the fights from happening, rather than the fights themselves causing the problem directly on their own. It's super tricky to find out what that is obviously but I've cleared a couple of tables in the database and I'm working on more stuff to send me mails before / after each part of the script, so I can pin things down if it happens again.

I've also been looking at the upgraded server options. We have a server with 8GB of RAM at the moment and a pretty good processor. We can take that up as high as 128GB on a new server, but that's obviously stupidly expensive... I just need to figure out where to go in the middle. The different servers have different processors too and I'm not sure if it's a CPU issue or a RAM issue anyway and all but the best new servers available have worse processors than the current server anyway (which is the old best option from 2 years ago). I'm asking the hosting company some questions in support tickets and seeing whether they can help me figure it out and pick the best option.

Best CPU with medium RAM (like 32GB) we're talking about £2200, so it's about 10% of the site revenue. We're gunna go with allowing everyone to buy another 5 slots though anyway because everyone seems to want that, so that will cover the cost if we do have to move servers.

In the meantime, as you saw in the PM I sent out, we'll move LA to 1 hour eariler and I'd have thought that would stop this happening again. It may be a case of just streamlining how we're storing the info or something.

Apologies obviously... It's a very tricky one to figure out but I'm doing what I can!

• Upvote 2

I was watching closely tonight. It was a bit weird. Everything seems to have taken place about 3 minutes after it should have, so I don't know if the server clock is fucked up or something. Anyway, there really wasnt much server load from the fights themselves, so I think the load must be coming from somewhere else and blocking the fights from happening, rather than the fights themselves causing the problem directly on their own. It's super tricky to find out what that is obviously but I've cleared a couple of tables in the database and I'm working on more stuff to send me mails before / after each part of the script, so I can pin things down if it happens again.

Pretty sure this has been happening for a while. Fights used to show up 6 minutes past the hour if you spoilered them, now it's usually around 9 minutes past. For unspoilered they show up for me at about 14/15 minutes past the hour. Not sure if it's just my clock, but you saying that makes me think otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Both times the events didn't happen (for me), the site wasn't work for me around that 9 minute mark past 6pm when the fights happen. When I refreshed the page it kept loading and loading and it didn't go through. It just come back working a couple of minutes after the events window.

Btw, when I started the game about 5 years ago, the fights on the spoiler page appeared just after we hit 12 minutes. Now it's 16. Sometimes almost 17.

Something I noticed which might explain the delay in fights showing up. The current time in the UK/Ireland is 12:38, but on the Map (Which I believe Mike said previously was the Server's time listings) shows 12:33.

Might be completely irrelevant, might be the reason behind the delay in fights showing. Figured I would mention it at least.

We have to many cities anyway just shut down Sydney or something. That might help.

Agreed.

Mike,just pm all the tycoon community saying a tsunami hit the shores of Sydney earlier this morning and swept away everything.Now Sydney lies underwater,it has become the new Atlantis.may the dead rest in peace.

We have to many cities anyway just shut down Sydney or something. That might help.

The number of cities is almost certainly not the cause of this problem.

More likely there's some kind of critical mass being hit when the game attempts to process LA and LV fights at the same time and it's causing a lock up.