How can I regain energy faster?

Boondock

My fighter Hoo "Phlung" Dung had his energy around 20% and I've given him many, many days to recover for his fight on the 10th. Problem is that he's not recovering all that fast AT ALL! He's just past 50% right now and he's only got 2 days left.

I think he's been gaining 5% to 10% each day.... is this about the normal rate? Seems like he should be gaining faster since he's taking supplements for recovery.

I'm resigned to the fact that he will probably get his ass handed to him by a full strength opponent in two days so my question is for future guys....

What is the normal increase in energy per day? (this will help me know if I need to take a week off in the future)

Thanks.

*I read through the FAQ but couldn't find an answer to this, forgive me if it's there and I simply missed it.

Give them full rest from training +recovery supplementes, and then they recover in a week :)

I made a lot of events in the fight org, but gonna screw that down, cos lots of the fighters are exhausted!!!

Thanks guys. I'm hearing that it takes about a week to fully recover... which is much different than what I was originally expecting. And yeah, I've had him off any training for 2 to 3 days and on supplements... so it's obviously just a longer process than I thought. Makes it hard because if you're resting a week, fighting, chances are you'll have another fight within the next 2 weeks... which means you get one week of training in over a three week period. I'll adjust my strategy! Thanks again.

So it takes a full week of not training to prepare for a fight and then you have to spend a full week after the fight recovering?

Seems so.

If you're gaining 10% a day (w/ no training and sups) and you're down to 20% TOTAL ENERGY on a Monday... it will take up to 7 or 8 days (depending on whether Sunday counts as energy recovery) to get to 100%. So the Wed of the next week you'd be full power... almost a week and a half if you get really low.

I dunno how many games like this you've played but I think I've given away a hell of a lot more info on stuff like this than you'll get in just about any other sports game. Usually gamesmasters leave the users to figure out just about everything - I've just told you that it's 20% per day at the bottom end and 6% per day at the top end. That's literally as much info as there is to know.

Anyway, the more info I give away, the more boring it gets because there's nothing left to figure out. If someone misses weight then they've cut it too fine and not planned properly. Same for underperforming in fights. People who plan better are meant to have more chance of success - that's basically the point of the game. As for stopping training, people can train if they're tired... they won't train very well though but again, that's exactly the point of it. Why should you be able to train well when you're tired?

I would say you're correct, you don't want to give away too much information about how to train, what kind of fighter to make, fight tactics, how to promote events etc. That's the fun of the game! If there was a straight-up manual on how to make the perfect fighter the game wouldn't be any fun!

But where's the fun in missing/making weight? Where's the fun in not training? Where's the fun of having the perfect strategy but losing because your resting period needed to be longer than you thought?

The fun of the game is creating your fighter, guiding his improvement, setting the very in-depth fight tactics, promoting events, and spending your winnings. The energy system as constructed almost seems to stand in the way as a barrier between the player and the fantastically awsome parts of the game.

There isn't meant to be any fun in missing weight or fighting when you're tired... Again, that's the point.

I'm assuming you are going to manage your fighters properly; train properly, fight properly, rest properly. Why would you want someone who doesn't do it properly to get no repercussions?

From my point of view, what you're asking for is to remove a certain element of skill from the game. I'm assuming you want people to come out of fights not being tired??? Or what? I still don't really understand what you want to do differently with the energy system.

If you want quicker recoveries, that removes an element of skill - do you fight very often or do you take some time out to train? That's a decision that the manager needs to make to decide between short term and long term gains.

Anyway, if you let me know what you'd like instead then maybe we can discuss it further because I don't know what you're suggesting as an alternative.

Recovery supplements helps too, right?

I'd like to know more about this myself if people ask (since i own one), I know they will help (if they're good) as a tool of recovery when you Training, but I don't know how much impact it has on energy replacement when drained after a fight....maybe Tycoon could shed a glimmer of light on this.

I figured it was a recovery agent of training not healing and recouping from a fight so much.

Tycoon?

I'd like to know more about this myself if people ask (since i own one), I know they will help (if they're good) as a tool of recovery when you Training, but I don't know how much impact it has on energy replacement when drained after a fight....maybe Tycoon could shed a glimmer of light on this.

I figured it was a recovery agent of training not healing and recouping from a fight so much.

Tycoon?

You are 99% right - the majority of the use of that type of supplement is to reduce the energy loss of each training session, as described in the wiki. There is a nominal effect of recovery nutrition for a "rest" slot but not as significant as effect as you get from using it while training. I would say you don't NEED to use a supplement for resting. I personally don't bother but you can do it.

This is in the wiki for nutrition and hence why you'll have a better understanding than most people cos you've read it and not necessarily everyone else will have read about supplements in as much detail.

Honestly, I've been trying to avoid answering that question directly because I haven't actually decided what I wanted to do with it yet. It wasn't my intention to make it a supplement that sped up recovery during rest - it was meant to be a training aid... I don't see why it shouldnt be multi use though, and it does seem logical to do so, so I've just been deciding upon the amount of impact it will have on rest time recovery.

Well, if I'm the only one that doesn't care for the system then that's my problem, not the game's. :) There's no need to change it if no one else says anything.

But the way I see it, the goal of a game such as this is to keep people playing for as long as possible, to "addict" them, to keep them comming back for more. This is the goal of World of Warcraft, the most popular online game. So putting roadblocks in the way which only cause the user to feel dissapointment or anger seems to be counter to that goal. There's two different aspects of the energy system as constructed that I don't care for.

Realism

The way 'energy' works is very unrealistic. In real life, full-time training doesn't reduce one's energy, it improves it. As a fight nears fighters do MORE cardio MORE weightlifting MORE sparring sessions where they have fresh teammates rotate in on them, not less. Training builds energy! When fighters have bad cardio is actually when they're not training. When guys get called up on 24-hours notice they have no gas left in the 3rd round. In MMATycoon it's the opposite. The fighter that trains his ass off runs out of gas in the first few minutes and the guy that sits on his couch at home eating donuts can go for days. :lol:

While fighters do "taper" their training towards the fight to "peak" their energy, they usually stop training the week before the fight. So they have about 5 'training' days where they don't train. MMATycoon is supposed to work on a 3x speed to real life. So if in MMATycoon a fighter has to stop training a week before a fight real time, that's supposedly simulating 3-weeks of not training before a fight! Can you imagine a real-life fighter not training 3 weeks before a fight? That's suicide! If MMATycoon was simulating a weight-cut or peaking process a fighter wouldn't train for 2 days (simulating 6 days).

So it's really not realistic at all to say that training leads one to be unprepared for a fight and that fighters should stop training 3-weeks (fantasy game time) ahead of their fight.

Gameplay

Going back to how games such as this hook their players, the idea is to create a sense of constant improvement or at least constant interaction between the player and his character which results in the player comming back again and again and again.

Having a system in which the game forces the player to not even log into MMATycoon for a week is counter to this goal. The not training thing is telling the player "DO NOT LOG INTO MMATYCOON there is nothing you can do and anything you try to do will just make your fighter worse!" I mean, that's a terrible message to be sending to the player!

The longer the player goes without logging into a game, the more likely he is to never log into the game again. You want to have a game that creates a vibrant active community. You don't want to actively incentivize people to not to play the game!

As far as recommendations I could make some but I would have to know what the purpose of the system is supposed to be.

OK, thanks for your thoughts. I can't write a super long reply cos I'm off to bed about 2 hours ago - I have to be up early tomorrow to drive somewhere and it's already gone 3am :P

Fundamental point - you're completely confusing energy and conditioning. In real life or the game, training REDUCES energy and INCREASES conditioning. In real life, no matter what level of fitness you have, if you train it makes you tired. That is the value "energy".

In terms of being addicted - yes, clearly that's a good thing from my point of view if people are addicted. However, what I believe makes people addicted is having to make a lot of decisions about stuff. "What should I do in this situation?" Removing decisions removes a level of control and a level of addictive decision making.

Finally, regarding the 3x real world speed. That's a very fluid / non-exact science. If someone recovered from 0 energy to 100% in 3 game days (9 real days), that might be realistic in terms of real life, however, in terms of the game, I personally think it's too quick.

Again, there needs to be a long term benefit for people who decide to train their fighters and not fight for a while. Anyone who's gone down to 0 energy has basically had a 3-5 round war, or they have absolutely no conditioning. They need to be tired for at least a remotely noteable length of time, otherwise it just makes the whole concept of energy worthless.

The way I'd sum all this up. Having low energy is annoying. But that's the point. This isn't an arcade game. It's a long term management simulator. I don't want people to be able to conquer the game within months. I've played games like this for soccer and cricket and it should take maybe 2 years for the game to fully evolve into a mature state. The energy value is MEANT to be a limiting factor. If at the end of the day it makes you so pissed off that it makes you leave the game then that's my loss but the long term benefits in my opinion are a more stable, controllable, more controlled and steadily progressing game, rather than just a super fast, instant gratification game.

I am usually a guy who has a lot of problems with the game but common one thing i love about it is the energy system. There has to be a loss or everyone just trains all the time and fights. Thats not how real life works and yes this is a game but its supposed to be a simulation of life so it does a decent job at that aspect considering it is a quickened timetable

About what i said, that it took a week to recover of a fight, thats more when your fighter got a decent ass-kicking. if he won his fight and dropped down like 30 to 40 percent, it takes a few days to recover.

So in the end it is realistic, it should be that the loser fighter should have more problems with fighting often then the winner.

Can you imagine in reallife that a fighter who got stomped like hell, he would be in the ring again few days after?

About what i said, that it took a week to recover of a fight, thats more when your fighter got a decent ass-kicking. if he won his fight and dropped down like 30 to 40 percent, it takes a few days to recover.

So in the end it is realistic, it should be that the loser fighter should have more problems with fighting often then the winner.

Can you imagine in reallife that a fighter who got stomped like hell, he would be in the ring again few days after?

I agree with that.

I'm talking about PRE-fight preparation. I was down to 20% or so from hard training and it was taking me awhile to get it back to full power. Not sure if his bad cardio affects it.

• 2 weeks later...
the 3x real world speed. That's a very fluid / non-exact science. If someone recovered from 0 energy to 100% in 3 game days (9 real days), that might be realistic in terms of real life, however, in terms of the game, I personally think it's too quick.

I don't share that opinion. I have top sport statute for basketball, I train 3 to 4 times a week and play two games in the weekend. When I've rested for 3 days from a really hard fitness, cardio, basketball training than I'm fully recovered, no matter how tired I was. 3 days not 9, so why is it too quick for the game that supposed to be 3 times faster?

The thing I'm worried about is that when you rest your conditioning goes down. When you train your energy is gone and when you don't train your conditioning is gone.

When you fight you have to rest for a week. After rest your conditioning is low so you should probably do cardio for a some training. You're conditioning is fairly low so energy is gone quick. How long do you have to struggle with conditioning and energy before you can start training again? And what if you want to fight regulary? Do you still have time to do other training than just cardio and rest?

As you probably know I already regret not giving one of my fighters any conditioning upon creating him. He tires faster than my grandma.

As you probably know I already regret not giving one of my fighters any conditioning upon creating him. He tires faster than my grandma.

I can attest to this. His grandma tires rather quickly.

She needs a bit of Non-Stop Nutrition Staminex.

Conditioning drops by -0.1 per rest session, meaning you need to rest for 100 sessions to drop a single level.

The guy you've got is basically a wet fish. I'm not sure what 1 conditioning would equate to in real life but maybe something like an asthmatic on the top of mount everest with a cat strapped to his head (assuming his is allergic to cats)*.

So anyway, although I think losing your entire energy is pretty unrealistic and will look at that equation on Monday, it's not the best idea to create someone with low conditioning whatever way you look at it.

* I'm allowed to say this cos I'm asthmatic and am allergic to cats :)