Sparring benefits and how to do it?

Skenoj

A lower rated 'sparring worth' fighter gains the big benefit

I f you have an elite 5 star boxer doinga session with 2 or 3 star fighters they will gain considerably while he will gain nothing except maybe reset on declining

If you have a 4 star you are training to elite he really needs to be sparring against 5 stars to get benefits at a reasonable speed

Im no expert though

• Upvote 2

What gator said. Also you need at least 5 fighters per session in sparring. It splits in half at 10 though oddly enough. So 9 fighters is better than 10, if 10 fighters are in a session, they will split into 2 groups of 5. Idk how it splits once you get to 15 and 20. But as long as you have 5 (including your fighter) you will gain benefit, assuming sparring partners are good.

• Upvote 1

i have been advised in the past not to bother with sparring young fighters until at least 20

When I first started i ignored it and tried to build primaries. It didnt work well

Young fighters should fcus on secondaries based on the build you are going for, early 20's I spar them a bit to pop their primaries when they are close

Older fighters I spar a lot more but their secondaries are already very high based on their build

Once again I am not saying i am expert so I am interested as well if one of the very experienced managers has better info

• Upvote 2

You can t get your fighter to elite without sparring, right?

It would be very slow, by the time their primaries are 14, 14+ or ++ they are getting on a bit in most cases and training gains are much slower so I think would be extremely difficult and a waste of valuable training time. I was told to train up secondaries to a high level when young and get them to elite with sparring when older as sparring will raise the relative secondaries as well as the primary

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Karz said:

Can a fighter in decline and/or quite old still serve as a good sparring partner ?

Absolutely if they have attained high levels of primary skill & maintained it along with the right secondaries to support it.

The older they get the more decline they will be subject to so focusing on 2 then eventually just 1 primary skill to maintain will be required.

• Upvote 1