Fighting 5 lbs under or fighting heavy

General census about the advantages of going underweight or cutting down to weight for a fight.  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which has the greater advantage?

• Underweight (up to 5 lbs)
    • Heavy, but can cut to weight
    • Both are about the same

Hey Camara there is a reason I wanted SSS to be 165. As you know as fighters progress the harder it is to get submissions or TKO's on the ground. Escapes & defensive grappling when elite as a striker are overpowerwed so I used less weight as a balancing mechanism because faster fighters can get more takedowns. Only managers that are striking oriented complain about underweight fighters because they don't understand the counter or think this is KT Tycoon it is not. Just counter KO + clinch control. Almost no managers with grapplers complain about escapes and how hard it is to keep it on the ground. Even your guy Fray Torments was 244 in Underground getting subs at one point ;). Under 265 is still underweight. You do the same thing.

The one division where the minimum weight limit cannot be applied is Heavyweight because it encompasses fighters from 206 all the way to 265+ Some tourneys require a minimum walking weight, for the FARTMMA opening belt which Tormenta won it was 240 lbs if I remember correctly. He is 244.

For all other divisions since they have a 10-15 lbs gap orgs will normally enforce the minimum weight (155 for 155 , 170 for 170, etc.)

This is well documented in many threads. It is also realistic as you have HW like Fedor and you got HW like Lesnar who had to cut weight to make the 265 limit.

This wasn`t a dig at you so no need to get defensive. It was simply a perfect example on the topic. Hardman didn`t understand the point of the thread so I thought it would be best to show him the point of the thread on fighters in his org that`s all.

I`ve run into this topic at FARTMMA too, when Aylib moved up some fighters he was kind enough to gain weight at my request and the request of his next oponent no big deal. I only enforce it on champions, but for the most part I make sure not to mess up when I send contracts.

Hope that clarifies.

Cheers,

Ibby

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not at all.

The King is someone I can have an educated conversation with so I take advantage.

Do you disagree with anything on the subject? Of course not.

For all your spin and win farming needs we have the Off-Topic section.

I would politely point you in that direction going forward, you have the 3 story word thread, 5 word, the sound alike and even some COVID threads I see you debating for 3 days on end because you don`t understand Per Capita meaning lol

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Now who is going off topic? The "go offtopic farming for spin and win king" of course... Yeah keep going #ignored

For all your spin and win farming needs we have the Off-Topic section.

I would politely point you in that direction going forward, you have the 3 story word thread, 5 word, the sound alike and even some COVID threads I see you debating for 3 days on end because you don`t understand Per Capita meaning lol

===========----------================---------================

5lbs underweight would be an advantage. It may be a crucial advantage, it may not. But you have to draw the line somewhere, and logically it makes sense to me that the fighters walk around weight should be the lower weight limit or above. Why leave a grey area that will upset some people. Have a rule and stick to it.

As I said earlier tho, you will ALWAYS have a metagame. If you tweak something, another "ubber metagame" rises. Thats inherent to the competitive mechanic... If it is broken tho, I'd say the best way to deal with it is pressuring Mike to tweak it for balancing sake rather than just go banning meta-build...
Or, if "they are all doing the same builds the game is getting boring", this makes sense. It IS an actual issue and we see most MOBAs having a rotational tweak not for balancing, cause they know there will ALWAYS be something unbalanced, but because they want to rotate "whats imba now". Just change the meta, cause there is no way to stop the meta. This "rotational ban" could be something we do ourselves, tho (specially cause I dont see Mike doing this, WAY too much work), but the amount of organizing it would take... Not sure its feasible

• Upvote 1

Unless he rotates whats being nerfed... Boxing tycoon for 6-12 months, than Koshek/Fitch "pin against the cage" tycoon, then K-1 clinchfuck tycoon, Then back to Gracies Tycoon, etc etc...

Lot of work tho, maybe he makes a bot... Dunno... And how would this affect the 18yo project creation? 1 year after creatin his meta build is going downhill... This would push the game meta towards 25 yo guys probably? Cant predict this...

Dunno if the rewards matches the effort

Definitely would create more 25 year old builds, maybe certain refs prefer certain things in the scoring system but I'm sure some of the more experienced managers can attest to whether or not this is already a thing. Like maybe in Brazil bjj is vest but in USA stand and bang goal butin Japan Catch Wrestling works best. Like extreme rules. Idk.

Mike was very clear on Buzz and I believe here about only working on stuff he enjoyed going forward. Aesthetically I have seen him put some effort lately (green morale bar, gyms recap) and also the retired fighters hiddens reveal has been a huge success.

Mike mentioned the ROI simply was not there for him to work on mayor changes/ improvements like the point of this thread is. Which leaves it, in my humble opinion, on orgs and managers to manage to continue making a fair fighting environment.

Thus the 155 minimum for 155 and 170 minimum for 170 criteria most orgs follow.

Again, if managers don`t complain then I guess each org can do as they see fit.

• Upvote 3

I think the way ONE FC treats weight cut and weight is over all is way more fair.

IMHO, the weight cut is doping (and Im not the only sports physician saying so) and should be banned, like in wrestling.

• Downvote 1

I like what I did with Cali.

unknown.png

It's a little wonky for 135/145 but gives a lot more options to guys looking for fair fights on the heavier side where the largest weight difference usually is. I generally think you should create a min weight and if guys want to cut into a division that's on them. Only way to make it really fair would be to include every weigh class from the start while I think this could build a big 145lbs division that could split later if it makes sense.

I think its unrealistic how this game treats height and sub defense. "Oh, this guy has long limbs, he is gonna get subbed really easy!".

I absolutely HATE rolling with long limbed guys. You are ALWAYS getting guillotined with those long slim fucking forearms of death much before you can get close enough for any significant damage. If you DO manage to put them on their back, those fucking horrible long legs of doom start going De La Riva/berimbolo on you, or even worse, lapel/worm/squid guard. I have an easier time - A LOT EASIER - against thucked limbs that I can get close enough to pressure the double under/over under/weaving leg and start pressuring little by little without getting guillotined or berimbolo'd. And thats coming from a guy that actually ENJOYS the game outside the meta that could be kinda troublesome to these guys... I like playing 50-50, kneeled pressure passing and half guard (either top or bottom). Thats my go to.... Even still, fighting long limb guys sucks balls.

But I do understand there must be mechanical ballance. Just bothers me the fluff n stuff used

Long limbs help w/ subs, but also give somebody like Palhares something to snap or grab on to.

There's a hard cap on the +/- % from builds. I.E. KO power only going to increase/decrease X % from weight/height ratio.

Can't comment on engine right now without writing essay. For most part it's pretty solid. We know it's an energy battle. We know little guys regain energy quicker or expend less energy. We know hiddens and skills are important. We know only in tycoon can you hockey fight like Don Frye in the clinch.

Honestly to really get glimpse of any errors in RNG engine one would need massive sample sizes w/ preset fighters (builds, hiddens, and sliders). Lots of test required.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...