UFC Demo

Online Support

Let’s face it, it’s going to be tough for anyone to beat XBOX Live. The interface is excellent, the interaction between players is superb, and extra features like achievements add the small touches that make playing games on the XBOX 360 just a little bit better for certain people.

Playstation Network has the sole advantage of being free for the most part (game makers are still allowed to charge for online play if they want, such as MMO games, etc). However, to play any game at all on XBOX Live, you must subscribe at $50 per year at its cheapest.

One drastic disadvantage of the Playstation 3 is the fact that you cannot send messages to your friend from within a game; in order to reach the XMB or ‘main menu’ of the PS3, you need to quit out of the game you are playing, and go to your friends list that way. There is nothing in the way of voice chat (with the exception of Warhawk), and no cross-game invite system. With XBOX Live, hit one button and you can reach your friends right away. Send them a voice message, or text message, or invite them to the server you’re playing on. You can even add your MSN/Live Messenger list to the 360, and talk to your non-gaming friends any time you want.

Profiles are also more robust on XBOX Live - each gamer has their own tag, their own custom avatar, a list of games they recently played, some achievements they have accomplished, and an overall score to give an idea of how experienced you are. All of this can be viewed in-game. Also, XBOX Live extends to XBOX.com, where you can view and edit profiles from your PC if you prefer.

On PSN, you get an icon, and a small about-me section. None of this can be viewed in-game, and there is no way to tell anything else about the gamer. PSN does not extend to an online version that can be viewed from the PC, either.

With PSN Home coming (the beta is rumored to be starting in December), this section may drastically change. Sony is banking on Home being a huge reason to play games on the Playstation 3 as opposed to the XBOX 360. Public details on Home have been sketchy at best though, so we shall see how things pan out.

Taken from http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-...one-year-later/

How is it going with you guys on the demo?

my first win was with liddel, got rua wobbly on his legs, then hit him with an overhand right, he went down, i went in for the kill, damn i love this game already!!

But i havent been able to do a submission!! its with the right analog stick? or how do you have to submit someone :)?

I wouldnt mind a bit more in-depth answer about that too actually. What's the difference?

I would agree that XBOX Live is the more well developed offering, and well it should be, back by a software giant and having longer in the marketplace. That said, I quite like PSN, it does what I need it to, I can see when my friends are online and what games they are playing. If I want to join them i just change games or send them a message and we work it out. I prefer it as the vast majority of my friends are on PSN. It's simple and easy to use, and is developing over time.

I finally broke down and bought an Xbox ( Sorry Tycoon, buying from Amazon would have nearly doubled my costs.) I only purchased the lame model the one that does not allow online gaming as I have never been interested in it. I have to say I am very happy with it.

I spent a few hours this week end playing the Demo and thought it was very good. I was having a tough time with takedowns. So I talked my wife into playing with me so that she could just let her fighter stand there while I tried takedowns and submissions. After I practiced that way for some time I found it a lot easier to do. I even ended up subbing Rua with Liddel.

• 3 weeks later...

Metacritic - UFC 2009 Undisputed

Both PS3 and 360 have a score of 88. Expect that to change as more reviews come out after the game is released.

As for which console is better... I'll let you read the one and only non biased review that I have ever found of the two systems and let you decide for yourself. Read the review here

Personally, I have both a Wii (I see it as an investment with timeless classic games that I can enjoy with my son in a couple of years and I get a lot of fun out of it now) and a PS3. I went with the PS3 due to not having to pay online fees to play games and the red ring of death worried me. Though I do have an original X Box tucked away in the closet that I'm determined to mod one day but haven't gotten around to.