Does the Game Favour Strikers Over Grapplers?

lotos

I propose a discussion and maybe a vote on what the general consensus is. Grappling has lost its magic to me.

Are there any ways this could be improved or is it just me that struggles to stay on top with a largely grappling stable? Are escapes too powerful? Does top control mixed with activity get rewarded enough by the judges? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2022 at 11:34 PM, lotos said:

I propose a discussion and maybe a vote on what the general consensus is. Grappling has lost its magic to me.

Are there any ways this could be improved or is it just me that struggles to stay on top with a largely grappling stable? Are escapes too powerful? Does top control mixed with activity get rewarded enough by the judges? 

I'd wager strikers easily get created at 2:1 rate and a lot quicker to build because their build requires less stats to be competitive.

A lot of grapplers forgo GNP in favor of kicks standing... GNP semi useful for preventing ref stand up... if you have elite GNP/TD off/Subs/Trans/Def grappling... you will be most likely neglecting kicks for Punch Tech, Clinchwork, and Striking Def. That's if you want triple elite primes...

You might be able to Whymer your way (low primes, never spar) into a 9th secondary if you get lucky on the fighter skill cap. I recently had a fighter reach 2714 skill points before hitting a very hard decline but on average 2650-2690s are the skill cap before my fighters hit a hard decline.

to improve the ground game outside of the typical user build mantra / trend ...

following successful instant-escape roll, a potential instant TD roll.

increase % subs land with back control/mount/and side control. RN the easiest place to land a sub appears to be from the bottom inside opponents guard.

Subs following fighter being knocked down or rocked need to be a lot easier to land.

These 2 examples could very well be IQ related deficiencies in the offensive fighter...

Example of black belt failing to submit purple belt after knocking him down

blackbelt BJJ (elite subs, elite flex, almost elite-- bjj prime) vs purple belt bjj...

knocks and rocks opponent, lands in side control, can't hit subs.

red belt vs black belt: elite bjj vs sensational bjj and quick sub because the sliders from both fighters on the ground are to be offensive.

Elite wrestling / red belt vs "good wrestling" / blue belt and 0/14 on subs and 2/5 on transitions. Wasn't a drastic change in ground sliders between the above fight and this one.

Understood like 5% of what you said but I will say Wrestling And BBJ to me is a lot easier then making a Striker. You can lose a fight in many more ways if you stay on feet and ur only way of finding a win is attempting strikes and stuff of that nature, I would rather be a grappler that will take you down for the whole round and get the nod on the card and eliminate the only way you can possibly get a win. You have to waste countless stamina trying to knock me out I have to just try and take you down and thats basically a win for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 12:00 AM, Tetas said:

Understood like 5% of what you said but I will say Wrestling And BBJ to me is a lot easier then making a Striker. You can lose a fight in many more ways if you stay on feet and ur only way of finding a win is attempting strikes and stuff of that nature, I would rather be a grappler that will take you down for the whole round and get the nod on the card and eliminate the only way you can possibly get a win. You have to waste countless stamina trying to knock me out I have to just try and take you down and thats basically a win for me.

Game favors striker. Fight starts on the feet. ID level is where you see most success for grapplers. Once physicals get maxed, def grap gets to sens-elite, pretty easy to neutralize the ground game more often than not barring build weaknesses.