One of the youth leaders at my church was trying to tell me that MMA was Satanic

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that Satan is using violent sports like it to make our generation even more violent and destructive, is this guy crazy?

I would have to say yes.

I love sports, MMA is a combat sport and i love it.

Despite the fact i love it im a family guy who doesn't enjoy seeing people getting smashed up in the streets and crave violence.

A lot more blood has been shed in the name of god than in MMA.

In fact i'd say MMA and combat sports offer an outlet to youngsters who might otherwise end up spending a lot of time on the streets involved in violence and drugs. I wish i had discovered it when i was younger and i may not have done so much stupid crap and got in so much trouble.

I don't know about crazy, but definitely misinformed about both MMA and what solid Scriptural understanding would indicate. That is a common knee-jerk response for a lot of religious, though. As an evangelical myself, I know it can be a short putt from a solid Scriptural belief to wild theories that see the Devil behind every rock, tree and shrub.

A sport, whether a combat sport or another competitive endeavor be it soccer, baseball, or even darts, cannot be intrinsically evil, and it is the responsibility of the viewer/consumer to determine their threshold for what is productive, and what is excessive in their own lives. If you let the watching or participation in MMA take your focus off of what is really important, then of course the potential is there for it to be harmful and not at all edifying. But that is the case with almost anything. The wholesale rejection of a sport, just like wholesale rejection of all alcohol consumption, (or wholesale rejection of dancing or whatever else has been deemed 'sinful' 'satanic' and 'the instrument of the Devil' over the years) is ultimately not coming from a solid foundation in reason or Scripture, and is not the best example for a believer to be setting.

Too often as Christians we get pigeonholed by what we speak against, more than what we speak in favor of, and this guy is really not helping by perpetuating that kind of belief.

Its an extreme viewpoint based on fear and ignorance. Ignorance of the sport and scripture. I grew up in teh church and have dealt with similar views all my life. Theres no point arguing with him though. Just let him believe what he wants. Turn the other cheek, as it were.

Mind you...this guy also believes "God" flooded the earth and we are all the incestuous product of Noah and his kids and their wives. I'm sorry incest is wrong and I would rather be from a monkey then my sister. Mostly cause I don't like my sister. Oh, well believe what you want but that guy is wrong. Not to mention Jesus's disciples fought on several occasions in the bible to defend Jesus and were not considered satanic. Oh well religion is to the believer and more power to people who want to better themselves.

Buy him a Jesus Didn't Tap shirt! Seriously though true Christianity has never shunned great athletes but has championed great warriors!

Jesus didn't tap cause his hands were nailed to the cross. sorry I couldn't resist.

And that Satan is using violent sports like it to make our generation even more violent and destructive, is this guy crazy?

No -- I think you should listen to everything that churchgoers say as "the gospel truth."

Actually it was more likely jesus' wrists were nailed in between the two bones of the forearm as the hands could probably have be torn to where they couldn't hold him on the cross.

Crucifiction is gruesome.

Also also, if you see or hear people doing this shunning stuff, stand up for your sport people! These guys are (for the most part) very respectful guys as is seen before during and after fights. Show and explain the good points. The discipline of martial art, the healthy lifestyles that top competition brings, fighter's stories like Ben Rothwell who used MMA as an outlet for his anger after losing a friend to drunk driving and living a healther lifestyle for it. There are plenty of other stories like it out there but that's one of the more current.

Talk about the safety of the sport, such as there are more injuries in football (read armored wankball) than MMA. That boxing, where fighters getting hit in the head for 30 minutes, and where people HAVE been killed, has had beyond more injuries. Compare it to other sports.

Most martial arts also have ties to a religion or spirituality. Example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wai_khru_ram_muay

There is so much information out there and to be ignorant of it leads to people like that youth leader.

Mind you...this guy also believes "God" flooded the earth and we are all the incestuous product of Noah and his kids and their wives. I'm sorry incest is wrong and I would rather be from a monkey then my sister. Mostly cause I don't like my sister. Oh, well believe what you want but that guy is wrong. Not to mention Jesus's disciples fought on several occasions in the bible to defend Jesus and were not considered satanic. Oh well religion is to the believer and more power to people who want to better themselves.

You're likely a product both from ancestors of humans ("monkeys") and incest. ;)

I have a deep belief in God.... and I love MMA. I find no more problem with this than I do loving God and football.

I don't judge an entire race or sex by the few ignorant or ill-informed. I also don't judge an entire faith by the few ignorant or ill-informed.

I DO judge Tito Ortiz though... I don't like that muthereffa. And his head bothers me.

Lol. Poor Noah... guy made a boat and then it went south.

As for the disciples "fighting on several occasions to defend Jesus"... It happened one time, cut off an ear, Jesus rebuked him. Not that it proves anything but know you stuff. And I think Jesus said something about turning the other cheek... which is why Fedor always lets people hit him around a bit before ending the fight. Dude knows his Bible.

As for the disciples "fighting on several occasions to defend Jesus"... It happened one time, cut off an ear, Jesus rebuked him. Not that it proves anything but know you stuff. And I think Jesus said something about turning the other cheek... which is why Fedor always lets people hit him around a bit before ending the fight. Dude knows his Bible.

Hee hee--I googled "fedor jesus" and the first thing that came up was a rather interesting Sherdog thread entitled "Fedor=Jesus" that read as follows:

First of all, I’m by no means implying that Fedor is a god and that he is an equal to Jesus. I’m just using Jesus as an analogy.

Just like Jesus, Fedor performed many miracles in front of a large crowd: recovering after Rendleman’s throw, submitting Fujita after being almost KO’ed, submitting an Olympic wrestler, having an amazing winning streak against some of the top fighters of his time. Still, just like people doubted Jesus miracles, there are people who doubt Fedor’s. They want to disprove these miracles by saying he was fighting cans, he could handpick his opponents, etc. But the most amazing thing is that there are many people who want to see Fedor “crucified” – that is beaten the crap out. I was so surprised that in the thread about the possibility of Fedor fighting Monson there were so many people wishing Monson to win. I would understand if those people were Monson fans, but they are obviously not. They just want to see Fedor crucified!

So what is that? Human nature? Human evilness? Prejudice against Russian people?

There is kind of a witchhunt on MMA in this country too a the moment. Sad how the critics doesn't seem all that concerned with facts, referring to it as both "MMM" and "the k-1" on national television, and talking about the gnp, chokes etc. without ever mentioning that you always have the option to tap or verbally submit. And always showing footage on the news from the most bloody fights (caused by cuts, making it look way, way worse than it is).

But yes, it is a dangerous sport (many are), I don't like the thin gloves or the lack of head protection on the amateur level.

Its a straight choice between religion and MMA, and i know whats more fun. :bangin:

First of all, I'll say don't judge God based on His followers. A lot of us can act pretty fucking retarded sometimes.

That being said, I remember the same argument when it was applied to punk/hardcore/metal (and even ska) about a decade ago.

Understanding something is no excuse to call it satanic. Neither is not liking something. For a couple hundred years its been a popular thing for people who consider themselves to have the moral high ground to push around commoners into believing the way they do. Don't buy it. People who force their morality on others aren't as convicted in their beliefs as they want you to believe. Doubt me? Look at all the "Family Value" Republicans who get caught smashing their secretary, their Argentinian lover, or some random dude in St. Paul.

There is nothing in the Bible that condemns sports at all, neither does it condemn combat sport. The Bible is mute on the issue, and therefore should be left to individual discretion, just like movies and music. A church leader no matter how senior, is in no position to condemn something as "satanic", its simply an ignorant reaction to something he doesn't like. He's put off by combat sport, so obviously it has to be wrong. He probably doesn't drink any alcohol or listen to rock and/or roll music. You might remind him that Sunday's Hymns are typically repurposed drinking songs from so long ago everybody's forgotten that fact.

You might also want to point out that Satan doesn't have any authority to persuade us from the Righteous path. Or, maybe your youth leader should reread the book of Job. The devil couldn't tempt Job without God's permission. But, for something to be "satanic", it has to serve the purpose of undermining someone's faith in God. It has to actively take worship away from God. That simply doesn't happen. Nobody has given up Jesus for MMA.

The problem is, this is an endless debate. First it was women showing knees and elbows. Then it was rock and roll. After that it was R-rated movies. Then it went back to music. Now its MMA. Some people are distracted by these things. Personally, I can't listen to some kinds of music that I used to listen to, because it distracted me too much from God. So you and your youth leader have to have a real simple conversation and agree that while MMA isn't the tool of Satan, that you respect that it causes him problems with his faith. And as a Christian, its your job not to hurt other Christian's relationship with God. Don't bring this temptation into your youth leader's view.

Respect him and ask him politely to respect you. If he doesn't, maybe he's not the kind of spiritual rolemodel you want to be around.