One of the youth leaders at my church was trying to tell me that MMA was Satanic

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that Satan is using violent sports like it to make our generation even more violent and destructive, is this guy crazy?
No he isn't! Go get some holy water to wash yourself!

And that Satan is using violent sports like it to make our generation even more violent and destructive, is this guy crazy?

Well, he thinks that there's an invisible man up in the sky that controls everything in the universe and that an illiterate nomad who lived 2,000 years ago knew all the secrets of the world and how one should live his life.

Yeah, I'd say that sounds pretty crazy to me.

Or you could respect the guy for his beliefs rather than taking cheap shots.

I respectfully disagree. Last thing we need is for religion to be exempted from mockery. It's necessary to remind people how ridiculous some of these beliefs really are.

I respectfully disagree. Last thing we need is for religion to be exempted from mockery. It's necessary to remind people how ridiculous some of these beliefs really are.

I want to back this point up.

I don't have any problems with people who believe in or practice any religion. 92% of the Western World's population believes in a god. I like lots of people of all colors, personality types, and religious creeds.

However, I do think that religions are completely arcane in the modern world. I think that religion only exists because religious institutions teach children insane stories in their formative years before they can learn to think rationally. Children learn Noah's Ark before they learn logic. That's the definition of brainwashing.

So why speak up against religion? So some people have insane ideas about how life works. Well, the reason I speak up is because having this fantasy understanding of life leads to terrible terrible decisions.

There is no god that wants you to do anything and there is no "afterlife". Right now someone is getting ready to blow himself up in a market in Iraq, a completely illogical decision, because he has been brainwashed into believing these two facts. Homosexuals are normal guys/gals that just want to be left alone, instead they are persecuted and discriminated agaisnt because of religious beliefs about sex.

Terrible atrocities are committed daily because people are brainwashed by religion. In the year 2009 we understand much about how the human brain works, how nature works, how the universe works, it's time to throw away these arcane understandings of how people thought the world worked from 2,000+ years ago.

When society realizes each person only has only a precious few years to enjoy the miracle of life and sentience, people will embark on creating a utopia here on earth - not commit atrocities in the pursuance of an "afterlife".

What gets me down the most is what happened after Rome fell. Sure, christianity helped in some ways, e.g in unifying languages via the bible in some european countries and in ending many blood-feuds between families and clans (basicly the retaliate-and-fight-it-out-till-the-end-of-time type of conflicts we see in the middle east now). But in the larger perspective..wow. The suffocating lid over europe that was christianity held back so much technological and scientific progress that could have been for over a millenia. And even though things started to look brighter a couple of hundred years back one cannot stop oneself from imagining what the world would've been like if many of the great thinkers of that millenia had been given room to develop their thoughts instead of being threatened or tortured for their beliefs.

There are good points in both judaism, islam and christianity. Doesn't stop them from frequently being used as mind-enslaving poisons though.

What your talking about is good, healthy debate. A photoshopped picture of the Bible with a LOL smiley face isn't good, healthy debate. Its the equivalent of a racist 'joke'. I'm sure I think some of the things you believe are ridiculous, like evolution. Evolution is based on bad scientific method. There's no actual proof of evolution. The fossil record is nothing more than circumstantial, and carbon dating is a flawed process. I think evolution is fucking ludicrous. But I'll be shouted down for being ignorant for saying so, while people taking pot shots at someone's belief system find themselves on the moral high ground.

You want good healthy debate, that's fine. But the kid was asking for some help with his spiritual leader. He wasn't walking around saying "God hates fags" (which He doesn't), and he wasn't walking around calling you guys sinners for being MMA fans. So to take cheap shots at the kid is just that, a cheap shot. You don't believe in god, that's fine. That's your choice. But some of us have taken a different path, and just like he respected you for not calling you stupid, I think you should respect him by not calling him stupid. If he steps out of line and starts acting like Pat Robertson, fine. Then call him on it. But to just open up for no reason other than you don't like what he thinks is no better than what his youth leader was doing.

I disagree with you and WhisperingDeath. Im not religious but people in the modern western world have the right to believe what they want.

Your country, my country and many others whole philosophy is based on the freedom of speech and the freedom to do and believe what ever you want.

Many people in their most darkest hours of need turn to god and be it real or not, that whole concept saves some peoples lives because it gives them hope and something to believe in.

I know a man who lost a child and the only thing that stopped him killing himself or falling into a horrible life was that he found god. Had that man not done that then i firmly believe he would have took his own life.

You try telling him it's ridiculous to cope with loss like that by believing in god.

Your views are shallow and centred on your own experiences.

Im not religious but i can understand and respect why people believe in god, because in some places there is little to live for and nothing to believe in - thats why god becomes important to them.

Believing in god is not about going to church, or all of man kinds misrepresentations of faith which centre around symbolism and materialistic worship. Believing in God is about having faith in something better than earth, man-kind as it is and those that pretend to lead us and have our best interests at heart.

The church is a joke i agree in that much, as our most men of the cloth. They all use God and religion to their own end. Believing in god is not about believing in a man in the sky who controls things. It's deeper than that.

Perhaps to deep for me, but i understand and respect why people need god, and im not to narrow minded to ridicule them for it with my own very limited knowledge of what lies beyond what we know for sure.

Well if Satan created violent sports to make us destructive, that's all he had for us? Looks like he's got nothing on the billions murdered, and tortured during all of the Wars he has caused, or have been fought over him. Not to mention his/her apparent reasoning behind denying people many many things that make us happy or that we enjoy. Not to mention his creation of his workers who have been caught molesting children, and ultimately causing the worst kind of issues in their heads for life, or the nonacceptance of people as individuals, with individual needs, feelings, and beliefs. Or horrifying children and adults with fear of going below the earth's crust to a firey pit run by an evil demonic lord who will torture you for an infinity, over things such as sexual or religious preference. I guess the people who invented the idea of Satan never thought that through.

I was told recently that i was eveil for pushing my diasbled other half in a wheelchair as it was taking her off the feet god made her. So MMA must be sinful. Idiots.

Wow. On behalf of the human race... Sorry for that tool's behavior.

I disagree with you and WhisperingDeath. Im not religious but people in the modern western world have the right to believe what they want.

Your country, my country and many others whole philosophy is based on the freedom of speech and the freedom to do and believe what ever you want.

Many people in their most darkest hours of need turn to god and be it real or not, that whole concept saves some peoples lives because it gives them hope and something to believe in.

I know a man who lost a child and the only thing that stopped him killing himself or falling into a horrible life was that he found god. Had that man not done that then i firmly believe he would have took his own life.

You try telling him it's ridiculous to cope with loss like that by believing in god.

Your views are shallow and centred on your own experiences.

Im not religious but i can understand and respect why people believe in god, because in some places there is little to live for and nothing to believe in - thats why god becomes important to them.

Believing in god is not about going to church, or all of man kinds misrepresentations of faith which centre around symbolism and materialistic worship. Believing in God is about having faith in something better than earth, man-kind as it is and those that pretend to lead us and have our best interests at heart.

The church is a joke i agree in that much, as our most men of the cloth. They all use God and religion to their own end. Believing in god is not about believing in a man in the sky who controls things. It's deeper than that.

Perhaps to deep for me, but i understand and respect why people need god, and im not to narrow minded to ridicule them for it with my own very limited knowledge of what lies beyond what we know for sure.

So true it needed to be repeated.

people in the modern western world have the right to believe what they want.

Sure and I have the right to mock them for it. Some crazy bastards believe that all infidels need to be killed, others believe that Harry Potter is an evil wizard sent by the devil to corrupt our youth. I have to respect that? Sorry mate, that's too much to ask. You might laugh about Harry Potter but the same counts for talking snakes, the Pinokkio whale or man living along dinosaurs.

Sure and I have the right to mock them for it. Some crazy bastards believe that all infidels need to be killed, others believe that Harry Potter is an evil wizard sent by the devil to corrupt our youth. I have to respect that? Sorry mate, that's too much to ask. You might laugh about Harry Potter but the same counts for talking snakes, the Pinokkio whale or man living along dinosaurs.

I'm not saying you have to respect the concept, only another man's freedom to choose it as his belief.

Do you have the right to just open up and say what you want? Sure, its the internet, what are we going to do? But to just open up and attack a kid who wasn't trying to evangelize you because of his beliefs is just a dick move. And you should learn when to exercise your right to free speech and when to just shut up and leave well enough a lone.

And just like you have the right to act like an asshole and insult someone's belief. He has the right to believe it. So just as he's respecting you by not trying to evangelize you. How about you show him some fucking respect by shutting the hell up about it?

Theres nothing wrong with believeing in a god it gives people hope but there people that have to judge people for what they believe in thats not right and evolution is just 1 part of the new science advances did you know there was water on the moon? did the bible say anything about this the bible only talks about stories about people doing the right thing that you should try to be like those people that do those things. its not a book that you should hoover around and think its amazing and stuff its like the first ever how to book if we did this now it would be like worshipping a how to do math for dummies. and you never know we just learned now that theres water on the moon and ice on mars theres going to be life out there somewhere we all know this we just dont have the ships to vist them.

Pauliedanger, you still don't seem to understand how it works. You can't act like freedom of religion means people have to respect what you believe. Calling for freedom of religion but at the same time saying that there are bounds of reason when it comes to exercizing freedom of speech is about as hypocritical as it gets.

And just like you have the right to act like an asshole and insult someone's belief. He has the right to believe it.
And just like you have the right to act like an idiot and believe in talking snakes. I have the right to joke about it. If you don't like what I say than that's your problem, just like it is my problem when I don't like what you believe. I don't feel like an asshole demanding some common sense from other people, just like you don't feel like an idiot by believing in talking snakes.

And please don't act like you are protecting somebody else when it's clearly you who feels offended.