Unpopular Opinion: Buying Learning Speed

Rambo

22 minutes ago, Skuzbukit said:

Reading this conversation I'm beginning to think that this is one stat that should perhaps have had a smaller degree of variance anyway, while the current parameters might be more realistic & managers should consider a fighter "overall" this is still a game rather than a full-blown simulation, feeling like success hinges on the ability to spot & sack your dumber fighters seems counter to enjoying developing fighters into champions.

If the variance in learning speed decreases then the focus will just shift towards farming fighters with better hiddens outside of learning speed

24 minutes ago, Skuzbukit said:

Reading this conversation I'm beginning to think that this is one stat that should perhaps have had a smaller degree of variance anyway, while the current parameters might be more realistic & managers should consider a fighter "overall" this is still a game rather than a full-blown simulation, feeling like success hinges on the ability to spot & sack your dumber fighters seems counter to enjoying developing fighters into champions.

I have most potential fighter i have ever had, except hes ~5,5 learner. And i believe that slower learners would be worth it, if those have good hiddens.

I hope that there would be system that would quarantee longer careeers for slow leaners. It would suck to train slow learner just to see him starting to drop at age of 28. Something like every fighter gets random age drop off, except if you are slower learner its automatically higher. Maybe even possiblity that really slow learners could have higher age drop off than now its even possible.

42 minutes ago, poraan said:

I have most potential fighter i have ever had, except hes ~5,5 learner. And i believe that slower learners would be worth it, if those have good hiddens.

I hope that there would be system that would quarantee longer careeers for slow leaners. It would suck to train slow learner just to see him starting to drop at age of 28. Something like every fighter gets random age drop off, except if you are slower learner its automatically higher. Maybe even possiblity that really slow learners could have higher age drop off than now its even possible.

It would be a more "robust" system if there were compensations for defecits, slow learners taking longer to develop also having a capacity to stay fully capable for longer than faster learners is a good suggestion on how that could be "offset" by a compensatory stat that achieves an overall better balance & makes the choice more nuanced for managers who are willing to put time into a few fighters who might be a little slower to learn.

That's not how it works right now though, which is why experienced players seem to lean heavily into a few choice hiddens & fastest learners - if there were compensations players would have already discovered them by now.

1 hour ago, Jet said:

If the variance in learning speed decreases then the focus will just shift towards farming fighters with better hiddens outside of learning speed

Farming behaviour is players "gaming the system" for optimal impact and that's a one sided process so long as none of the defecits can be offset, you have to have KO power, Granite chin and fast learning or you have a weaker fighter to start with you can't effectively offset not having those 3 with anything else.

Or maybe I got the way the system works all wrong, but from what I have read the "hierarchy" for hiddens is very much a vertical double strand with Left or Right having different chances of appearing on the TOTTT.

But each Hidden is not "paired" i.e. they don't have an opposing hidden, e.g. having low KO roll for a fighter does not give them a high roll of something else equally valuable.

I don't have a big problem with the staus quo, but if everyone thinks a change is needed to avoid wasting time on quantifying laerning speed, I offer this idea...

Allow gyms to gyms to offer a week-long training and seminar course.

The gym pays X $Tycoon to hire a fictional legendary coach, or x-champ - whatever you want to call it. The special coach is there for one week. Gym can book the dates ahead and then it's gym's job to fill the course slots, getting paid X $Tycoon for every fighter that signs up. A bit like org events, gym can profit if classes are full, can lose cash if no interest.

For players who want to find out their fighter's learning speed, it costs, say, 9 days VIP for the  managers to register his fighter to the course, in addition to whtatever $Tycoon the gym is charging.

The enrolled fighter can't train for the week that he's in the course.

Here's the kicker.. Whatever the fighter's learning speed would have been is boosted by attendance and what he learned there, +30, as if fast learner had been picked as a hidden boost at creation (in addition to the +30 you already have if you did pick learning as a hidden boost).

When the course is over, the manager (always) recives a feedback message that rates his fighter's learning speed (after boost) as judged by the course expert. Maybe as hopeless. poor. average, good, or exceptional - something like that. Also, whatever would have been the fighter's TOTT clue would have been (random left or right. always left, always right, or both?), had he taken a test fight, is revealed.

Example: Fighter X attended a course at X Gym. The organisers report that X (your fighter) has a good ability to learn, and he also demonstrated that he is a determind fighter.

Thus, you sign your fighter up for a week. Your fighter's learning speed is boosted and you get an accurate rating of learning speed, and you don't need to take a test fight to reveal the TOTT hiddens.

It wastes a week of your time and costs a little VIP, but gives you everything you need to make a decision, and actually raises your chances of getting a good learner.

Gyms get another dimension to their business.

As I said before, I'm not unhappy with the status quo as regards learning speed, but I'd love this just to avoid the stupid QFC fights (for hidden reveal).

PS: I suspect my writing doesn't betray it, but I am quite/verily, right-royally, "what was my name again?", stupidly and heavilly whiskyed. I hope this doesn't seem like madness in the morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Columbo said:

I don't have a big problem with the staus quo, but if everyone thinks a change is needed to avoid wasting time on quantifying laerning speed, I offer this idea...

Allow gyms to gyms to offer a week-long training and seminar course.

The gym pays X $Tycoon to hire a fictional legendary coach, or x-champ - whatever you want to call it. The special coach is there for one week. Gym can book the dates ahead and then it's gym's job to fill the course slots, getting paid X $Tycoon for every fighter that signs up. A bit like org events, gym can profit if classes are full, can lose cash if no interest.

For players who want to find out their fighter's learning speed, it costs, say, 9 days VIP for the  managers to register his fighter to the course, in addition to whtatever $Tycoon the gym is charging.

The enrolled fighter can't train for the week that he's in the course.

Here's the kicker.. Whatever the fighter's learning speed would have been is boosted by attendance and what he learned there, +30, as if fast learner had been picked as a hidden boost at creation (in addition to the +30 you already have if you did pick learning as a hidden boost).

When the course is over, the manager (always) recives a feedback message that rates his fighter's learning speed (after boost) as judged by the course expert. Maybe as hopeless. poor. average, good, or exceptional - something like that. Also, whatever would have been the fighter's TOTT clue would have been (random left or right. always left, always right, or both?), had he taken a test fight, is revealed.

Example: Fighter X attended a course at X Gym. The organisers report that X (your fighter) has a good ability to learn, and he also demonstrated that he is a determind fighter.

Thus, you sign your fighter up for a week. Your fighter's learning speed is boosted and you get an accurate rating of learning speed, and you don't need to take a test fight to reveal the TOTT hiddens.

It wastes a week of your time and costs a little VIP, but gives you everything you need to make a decision, and actually raises your chances of getting a good learner.

Gyms get another dimension to their business.

As I said before, I'm not unhappy with the status quo as regards learning speed, but I'd love this just to avoid the stupid QFC fights (for hidden reveal).

PS: I suspect my writing doesn't betray it, but I am quite/verily, right-royally, "what was my name again?", stupidly and heavilly whiskyed. I hope this doesn't seem like madness in the morning.

While I love text-based stuff in a text-based game...

I told Mike to make some ramen noodles and you told him lasagna with organic ingredients.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To me the point is the game is still very slow for a text-based sim. It needs to be sped up and increasing fighter's learning speeds would be one way to do so. It would benefit the game in a few ways plus increase Mike's income. 

One of my frustrations about returning to the game is the time it takes to do anything in game. Wow. 😴

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, SteelPenn said:

One of my frustrations about returning to the game is the time it takes to do anything in game. Wow. 😴

I can totally see where you are coming from, running an Org probably takes up a lot more time vs anything else in this game though not everyone is gonna be cut out for doing that & the number of players only supports so many orgs anyway.

I also found the game to be slow, so I went & got VIP & having more fighters to manage helped so I went all in & bought as many slots as I could, thanks to the generosity of another player I also had enough cash to start up a private gym & that gave me something else to manage.

I can see learning speed being the one thing that could help up the pace but maybe not everyone is going to be keen on upping the pace to begin with, the other thing that could be done is maybe having 4 training sessions a day but halving the amount of rest a non-training session gives.

• Upvote 1

I'd be alright with buying a 'capped' boost- something like +30 to your learning speed. I don't think you should be able to boost to 150/150. That way it keeps the quota that not every guy can be a hall of fame fighter- a 3.9 dud is still going to be dud, just maybe now a 4.5. Would be especially helpful for that 5.2-5.75 range that proves so perilous. 

It would slow the ID turn but speed up the time from shelf to org. I know I personally will have my 390k guys cooking for awhile, and i'm sure many other managers do too. 

The game could use an injection of pace. 

• Upvote 2