Confessions of a Non-Grappler

Hello, I'm Gabe and I'm ready to admit I have a problem -

I have a pretty okay record for someone that plays the game very briefly for periods in between a year break or so, going back as far as 2016, and a handful of title wins in lower ranked organisations. 142-99 isn't bad.

Until you look at it, and it's actually abysmally one sided.

124 wins by KO, to '6' by Submission. (Do the maths on the remaining wins by decision)
I don't know how to slider my grappling, at all.

I've gotten the same amount of KO wins in the last 7 days than I have in 7 years in grappling for taps.

I can do standup (the easiest to master) and even decent clinchwork, but my brain turns off when I build a grappling fighter and have to set their sliders.

Do any of you charitable souls have any advice? I'm ignoring a huge part of the game simply because I traditionally don't have a great deal of luck with it and was wondering if any of you had advice that didn't also enter the territory of spilling the beans.

I think it wholly depends what your ground game is based on.

Higher BJJ go high accuracy GnP to prevent stand ups in your top game inbetween sub attempts & a bit more of a counter profile from bottom to catch overzealous GnPers when they miss.

Higher Wrestling go GnP heavy top game with a balance output or power-leaning if you are landing often, some sub attack for opportunistic subs but a defensive/escaping bottom game.

Take all of this with a pinch of salt, this is just my own experience, the veterans will have way better advice I am sure.

• Like 1

It's all good. It isn't as hard as you think. Make some 25 year old QFC guys and play with sliders. Ground sliders are strange and I'm just relearning them, but they seem to be heavily affected by hiddens and physicals. I'm sure someone with more recent experience may be able to help. I do know that before the power/accuracy slider for ground strikes was introduced that the setting was in the middle of that and people were complaining about too many misses. As a new manager you won't really benefit from this info, but maybe some older ones will. Also, does anyone ever have success with control in the clinch? I never have and have almost zero idea how to use it correctly. When I don't go at least somewhat aggro, I lose the clinch game every time. 

Edit: I'm a standup guy mostly too, but I've noticed that the game has changed since I left and people use more ground than they did before. Also, lighter fighters seem to fare better on the ground and heavier fighters seem to mostly stay on the feet as KO's are easier. Escapes seem to be less common as they were as well, and they were my go to for standup fighters and lay and pray just never seemed to be as effective.

• Upvote 1