Fedor Emelinenko: Why he's your favorite fighter's favorite fighter...

Haha, guys... please. Are you serious about this? Are you really gonna watch all his fights to find instances where Fedor opened with his left hand? In the Sylvia fight the first punch he was looking to land was again the right hand. The left hook was the first punch that actually landed. And I'm sorry to break your bubble, but at 2:48 Fedor again opens up with his right hand.

You might find some fights where he actually starts off with the left hand, but that was not my point. Fedor is a right hand happy fighter and just about 90% of the time he even opens up with his right hand. I'm sorry for calling that predictable.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, guys... please. Are you serious about this? Are you really gonna watch all his fights to find instances where Fedor opened with his left hand? In the Sylvia fight the first punch he was looking to land was again the right hand. The left hook was the first punch that actually landed. And I'm sorry to break your bubble, but at 2:48 Fedor again opens up with his right hand.

You might find some fights where he actually starts off with the left hand, but that was not my point. Fedor is a right hand happy fighter and just about 90% of the time he even opens up with his right hand. I'm sorry for calling that predictable.

except the movement he made against sylvia with his right hand wasnt a punch. that's a pretty big problem in your theory, heh.

Rogers actually had Fedor in the thai clinch for a second in their fight and caught him with a knee before he escaped. Now Rogers is a very physically gifted man as their bout proved, but still - he's only been training full time for 6 months. It is a very real scenario that Overeem might rock Fedor if it went to the clinch in their fight. Also keep in mind that Rogers utilization of his sheer power and size alone kept Fedor from controling or pulling of any submissions on the ground, Overeem is larger, stronger and far more experienced. But also slow and he doesn't seem very fond of getting hit, traits Fedor love capitalizing on.

Rogers actually had Fedor in the thai clinch for a second in their fight and caught him with a knee before he escaped. Now Rogers is a very physically gifted man as their bout proved, but still - he's only been training full time for 6 months. It is a very real scenario that Overeem might rock Fedor if it went to the clinch in their fight. Also keep in mind that Rogers utilization of his sheer power and size alone kept Fedor from controling or pulling of any submissions on the ground, Overeem is larger, stronger and far more experienced. But also slow and he doesn't seem very fond of getting hit, traits Fedor love capitalizing on.

Rogers is actually a bit bigger than Overeem and likely just as strong. He's not nearly as technical or fast though.

No knock on Overeem, as we all know anything can happen. But I think Fedor has a closing window of vulnerability right now.

He's green in the cage. He popped his Octagon cherry with a bang, but I give him about 2 more matches before he's home in there. As dominant as Fedor was in the Rogers match, he just didn't look right to me as he was bobbing around the cage. If Overeem is gonna beat him, he should try to do it before they toss Fedor a couple more cans and he gets completely aclimated to the cage.

overeem doesnt have much more experience in the cage either. i think he fought twice in strikeforce and once in the dream cage. he mightve fought in cages earlier in his career, but i would guess most of his time was also spent in the ring.

Overeem could have a chance at Fedor, i do rate Overeem, he is a decent stand up fighter, especially in the clinch and has a decent ground and pound + submission game, his boxing is average though, but should be a decent fight to watch

Overeem's a decent standup fighter? He was in the final 4 of the K-1 HW GP last year. He has some of the best stand up in MMA. I've got him picked to beat Fedor if they ever fight. While people people are quick to point out that Fedor has fought large opponents before, none of them have had any grappling ability what so ever. Overeem is a monster, and roids or not, he will beat a drug test and beat Fedor.

Overeem's a decent standup fighter? He was in the final 4 of the K-1 HW GP last year. He has some of the best stand up in MMA. I've got him picked to beat Fedor if they ever fight. While people people are quick to point out that Fedor has fought large opponents before, none of them have had any grappling ability what so ever. Overeem is a monster, and roids or not, he will beat a drug test and beat Fedor.

Offensively, Overeem is excellent, but defensively he just isn't. He has a bad habit of getting KO'd in fights he should in no way lose, and Fedor is the best in the game at finding an opening.

And you don't genuinely think Overeem is going to outgrapple him just by virtue of being bigger, do you?

Offensively, Overeem is excellent, but defensively he just isn't. He has a bad habit of getting KO'd in fights he should in no way lose, and Fedor is the best in the game at finding an opening.

And you don't genuinely think Overeem is going to outgrapple him just by virtue of being bigger, do you?

Overeem was beaten by great fighters who could take advantage of the fact that he tried way to hard to make 205. He's not trying to cut weight anymore and has spent the last few years filling out his massive frame. He's now the scariest motherfucker on the planet. Not only does Overeem have K-1 level striking, but he has won matches at ADCC too.

Since you are so keen on Fedor, could you name me 1 fighter that he has fought that is both grappling skills and a weight advantage. Mark Coleman is the closest that you will get to Fedor facing a large grappler. Brock will destroy Fedor, Overeem will destroy Brock. Fedor's entire career has been against one dimensional fighters that he has maneged to beat.

Nog is the only good win Fedor has. Cro Cop has been proven to be a fraud, Tim Sylvian has always sucked, and AA is worse than Tim. Fedor has this great record with very few signature wins. Compare him to Shogun who ran the gauntlet to win his GP and Fedor looks pretty sad.

He fights HW. Good for Fedor. It's the weakest division in MMA yet he is considered the best for it. He could have fought in the 05 GP but he didn't becuase he didn't want to mess with the gods of MMA. There is a reason that 205 is and will always be the premier division of MMA, becuase it pits top athletes with incredible all around martial arts skills against each other.

Overeem was beaten by great fighters who could take advantage of the fact that he tried way to hard to make 205. He's not trying to cut weight anymore and has spent the last few years filling out his massive frame. He's now the scariest motherfucker on the planet. Not only does Overeem have K-1 level striking, but he has won matches at ADCC too.

Since you are so keen on Fedor, could you name me 1 fighter that he has fought that is both grappling skills and a weight advantage. Mark Coleman is the closest that you will get to Fedor facing a large grappler. Brock will destroy Fedor, Overeem will destroy Brock. Fedor's entire career has been against one dimensional fighters that he has maneged to beat.

Nog is the only good win Fedor has. Cro Cop has been proven to be a fraud, Tim Sylvian has always sucked, and AA is worse than Tim. Fedor has this great record with very few signature wins. Compare him to Shogun who ran the gauntlet to win his GP and Fedor looks pretty sad.

He fights HW. Good for Fedor. It's the weakest division in MMA yet he is considered the best for it. He could have fought in the 05 GP but he didn't becuase he didn't want to mess with the gods of MMA. There is a reason that 205 is and will always be the premier division of MMA, becuase it pits top athletes with incredible all around martial arts skills against each other.

jesus christ

While I do agree Overeem has become one of the scariest mofos out there, the rest of your post is like something out of the sherdog forum.

Oh dear... Incidentally, Nogueira was bigger than Fedor when they fought.

Anyways, I say again that Overeem has the best chance of anyone out there at beating Fedor. His average defense and not particularly keen heart (he tapped to strikes from Ricardo "The Lead Blanket" Arona) mean that I wouldn't favour him if it comes to it. Hell, I like Overeem.

I ask this in all earnestness, so don't jump on me for disagreeing, but someone explain where the Overeem hype is coming from (besides Strikeforce and the Dutch, obviously)? I've watched his fights, and the guy is certainly physically gifted, but I don't see anything that is consistent enough to be considered "amazing".

Just a quick look at his last 4 fights and I am even more confused.

Fujita - Way over the hill. Lost 5 of his last 7 fights.

James Thompson - Awful. Just an awful, pathetic fighter who has lost 11 of his last 14.

Chris Tuchsherer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Tuchscherer Impressive record, I guess, but almost entirely built of nobodys. (I operate on the principle that if not even ONE person on the planet thinks you deserve a wikipedia entry, you are a nobody.)

Gary Goodridge - The King of Cans. This guy has to be the worst fighter still active today. Is 0-9-1 in his last 10 fights and could probably make more money endorsing his own brand of canned tomatoes.

Maybe I am missing something here. Please explain.

I ask this in all earnestness, so don't jump on me for disagreeing, but someone explain where the Overeem hype is coming from (besides Strikeforce and the Dutch, obviously)? I've watched his fights, and the guy is certainly physically gifted, but I don't see anything that is consistent enough to be considered "amazing".

James Thompson - Awful. Just an awful, pathetic fighter who has lost 11 of his last 14.

Chris Tuchsherer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Tuchscherer Impressive record, I guess, but almost entirely built of nobodys. (I operate on the principle that if not even ONE person on the planet thinks you deserve a wikipedia entry, you are a nobody.)

Gary Goodridge - The King of Cans. This guy has to be the worst fighter still active today. Is 0-9-1 in his last 10 fights and could probably make more money endorsing his own brand of canned tomatoes.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Overeem has never fought Chris Tuchscherer, he had some easy matches this year against Thompson and Sylvester because he was voted in the K-1 tournament and he didn't want any injury. He was supposed to fight Arlovski at dynamite but the organisation opted for Fujita, that is still a big draw in Japan.

the Overeem "hype" came from the fact that his biggest problem in the past was his cardio, now without the weight cutting it looks like he fix that. Also he did a great job in K-1 looking good against some of the top guys like Hari, Bonjasky and Aerts...also he dominate Crocop, even if it was a no contest, he made Crocop look worst than Gonzaga and Dos Santos did in my opinion.

Maybe Fedor is too much for Overeem, but Alistair is the biggest challenge outside the ufc.

Overeem has never fought Chris Tuchscherer, he had some easy matches this year against Thompson and Sylvester because he was voted in the K-1 tournament and he didn't want any injury. He was supposed to fight Arlovski at dynamite but the organisation opted for Fujita, that is still a big draw in Japan.

the Overeem "hype" came from the fact that his biggest problem in the past was his cardio, now without the weight cutting it looks like he fix that. Also he did a great job in K-1 looking good against some of the top guys like Hari, Bonjasky and Aerts...also he dominate Crocop, even if it was a no contest, he made Crocop look worst than Gonzaga and Dos Santos did in my opinion.

Maybe Fedor is too much for Overeem, but Alistair is the biggest challenge outside the ufc.

My mistake on the Tuchscherer fight. I had 6 Sherdog pages open at once and made a mistake, but it doesn't really change much IMO. Add the Arlovski angle and I still end up in the same place. Who hasn't beat Arlovski lately?

He did look good on the ground against CroCop, but his recent knockout in the K-1 GP makes me wonder if he would have been able to take one of CroCop's best shots. Regardless, that was probably one of the hardest groin shots I've ever seen (obviously unintentional) and an NC was the fair call.

That being said, I am maintaining the fact that as the sole fighter they have with any PPV draw whatsoever, Strikeforce has no interest in seeing Fedor lose to anyone. Remember what happened to EliteXC after Kimbo got KTFO? They went bankrupt a month later. Unless Fedor fights in the UFC, we will never see him fight the top competition, much less fight consecutive competitive bouts.

My mistake on the Tuchscherer fight. I had 6 Sherdog pages open at once and made a mistake, but it doesn't really change much IMO. Add the Arlovski angle and I still end up in the same place. Who hasn't beat Arlovski lately?

He did look good on the ground against CroCop, but his recent knockout in the K-1 GP makes me wonder if he would have been able to take one of CroCop's best shots. Regardless, that was probably one of the hardest groin shots I've ever seen (obviously unintentional) and an NC was the fair call.

That being said, I am maintaining the fact that as the sole fighter they have with any PPV draw whatsoever, Strikeforce has no interest in seeing Fedor lose to anyone. Remember what happened to EliteXC after Kimbo got KTFO? They went bankrupt a month later. Unless Fedor fights in the UFC, we will never see him fight the top competition, much less fight consecutive competitive bouts.

Fedor signed a three fight deal with SF. The third fight will be Overeem.

Anybody who knocks his K-1 accomplishments is a noob. Yes Hari knocked him out, but he KO'd Hari as well. Overeem hasn't been an easy fight for any of the top K-1 stikers and that should say a lot for his striking credentials. He has some losses at 205 byt he never should have been fighting there in the first place. It's obvious that he thought his size would give him an advantage at 205 but realized that 205 has fighters who can take a beating and still bring the thunder. Losing to guys like Shogun, Nog, and Arona don't make you a bad fighter.

Fedor is lucky Arona wasn't allowed to punch/knee him in the face when he fought The Tiger.

I don't see how fighting at HW or his improved cardio will make a huge impact will help him. Most of his losses have come via KO in early rounds. I'm not saying those losses make him a bad fighter, but they sure as hell don't make him a good fighter.

Lost to Sergei Kharitonov via Rnd 1 KO (Punch)

Lost to Shogun via Rnd 1 TKO (Punches)

Lost to Arona via Rnd 1 Submission (Punches)

Lost to Nogueira via Rnd 2 TKO (Strikes)

Lost to Werdum via Rnd 2 Submission (Kimura)

Lost to Nog via Decision

Lost to Liddell via Rnd 1 KO (Strikes)

...and so on.

Looking at his losses, it's pretty obvious to me that Overeem's biggest weakness is that he sometimes gets, well, knocked the fuck out. His 9-4 record in K-1, which is essentially a Japanese and Dutch institution, anyway, isn't anything to write home about. Finally, I don't see a direct corollary between K-1 success (which Overeem may have marginally attained) and MMA success. In fact, I can't think of ANY K-1 fighters who've been successful in MMA. Dutch hero Semmy Schilt is a perfect example, dominating in K-1 for years but never able to pull a single notable win in MMA. Mark Hunt, another hype-machine turned journeyman who managed to win a GP, won decisions against crocop and wanderlei, but now has lost 5 in a row and looks beyond washed up.

K-1 is not Dutch, ADCC is not Brazilian and the IJF is not French and Jepanese. The Netherlands was the first western country where kickboxing truly gained popularity, and asian fighters are usually not big enough to compete as heavyweights. It's not that hard to figure out where all the champions come from then.

Brock Lesnar was 3-1 when he was considered the second best heavyweight in MMA. BJ Penn is 1-3 as a welterweight and everybody knows that he belongs in the top ten when competing in that division. It's obvious that Overeem improved a lot as a striker in the last two years and that the weight he put on helps him tremendously. Everybody with two braincells knows that he wouldn't lose in a standup fight to any of those opponents again, not as a heavyweight and probably not as a light heavyweight either. Overeem is a better standup fighter than Fedor and it's very possible that Fedor wouldn't get him down.