StrikeForce Vs. UFC

As i was watching the Strikeforce event earlier tonight i couldnt help but think about how much bigger its gotten. But to me it seems like StrikeForce is full of the UFC's "sloppy seconds". Guys who couldnt make it in the UFC or that the UFC simply didnt want around anymore seem to be gathering in strikeforce. I guess my point is i feel that Strikeforce's fame is kind of undeserved. Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strikeforce is able to hold a good event once in a while, but as an organization they're a bit of a joke. None of their fighters made their name in the organization and none of their championship contenders gets any build up. To have a contender for their worthless belts they have to wait till one of the other organization produces a good fighter and decides to cut him for some reason.

Todays event was one of the worst ones I have ever seen from a major organization, probably even worse than Dynamite. Their "B level star vs Nobody" card really lived up to the hype. I'm so disappointed that I stayed up for that crap.

After watching this event, Strikeforce just doesn't compare to the UFC. The UFC has Bruce Buffer, Joe Rogan, Mike Goldberg and even the camera looks better. And to top it off, where it really counts. The level of fighters in both are on a completely different level.

Hell, I thought Marius would probably be able to lay waste to a lot of UFC Welterweights. I guess I was wrong about that. Seriously seriously gutted with this fight.

The one thing they've done right though is making it free on tv, past that.. I don't see how Strikeforce is big in comparison.

After watching this event, Strikeforce just doesn't compare to the UFC. The UFC has Bruce Buffer, Joe Rogan, Mike Goldberg and even the camera looks better. And to top it off, where it really counts. The level of fighters in both are on a completely different level.

Hell, I thought Marius would probably be able to lay waste to a lot of UFC Welterweights. I guess I was wrong about that. Seriously seriously gutted with this fight.

The one thing they've done right though is making it free on tv, past that.. I don't see how Strikeforce is big in comparison.

I thought the event was great, especially after a lot of the UFC cards I've seen. Personally, I disagree with the fact this event was anything less than really good and entertaining to watch. My boy Nick Diaz gets a KO and Robbie Lawyer's KO and that fight was amazing lol very entertaining and I'm glad I watched it.

as said above the card tonight wasnt great , in fact diaz was the only reason i watched it

but , strikeforce belt holders are very good

mossasie would take on anyone from ufc

oh and fedor would eat brock for breakfast

Yea totally disagree about the event, I thought it was fine. But yes overall they are kinda a bit of leftovers mixed with some of the best. Fedor,Mousasi,Shields,Diaz,Melendez. The obvious Henderson all sick fighters and would hold there own and probably be at the top of the UFC in their divisions. Plus many many up and comers like Tyron Woodley who IMO is a friggin beast and if you don't know look him up

I guess I just found myself skewered in disappointment by the fact Marius just.. didn't look as great as he should have been in the fight. So, my resentment of it is probably because one of my favorites didn't even make it out of the first round, against someone I feel he should have beat on the feet.

I guess I just found myself skewered in disappointment by the fact Marius just.. didn't look as great as he should have been in the fight. So, my resentment of it is probably because one of my favorites didn't even make it out of the first round, against someone I feel he should have beat on the feet.

biased lol

I'm really surprised at how many people are content with this. I don't want to watch Lashley fight Sims or eat steak. I don't want to see a celebrity attempt at soccer, boxing, or MMA by competing against the absolute worst in the sport. I don't want to see female MMA, just like I don't want to see them box or play soccer. Yes, female MMA is a legitimate sport but it sucks. I don't want to see a bunch of one sided fights, even if one is ends with a Hail Marry KO. They turn what should be a sport into a circus.

Sorry, this doesn't even come close to the UFC. I want good fights between two top level athletes with skill.

how the heck do Buffer, Goldberg and Rogan make UFC presentation better? I see no impact whatsoever. It's just that they are way more popular in the MMA world, and that's all.

The level of fighters is better in UFC, but I wouldn't call the gap tremendous. SF have nice HW and MW divisions. Probably a good LW division when Aoki comes there.

Bruce Buffers announcing always gets you up and read in anticipation, Goldberg's mistakes are classicly hilarious, and Joe Rogan in my opinion is awesome. And I do also think the gap is huge.

The UFC has a lot of good heavyweights at the minute: Mir, Dos Santos, Nogueira, Brock... and potentially, if the hype lives up, Carwin and Velasquez. The Lightweights are for the most part superior in the UFC, except maybe Shinya. Middleweight I can't comment, as Anderson seems to make everyone he fights look like they shouldn't be there.

i agree not every fight was good but neither is every ufc fight - i liked watching it and found the robbie and nick fights both good -- i was waiting for robbie's leg to fly out of the ring -- and nick showed some good boxing -- as i say every promotion has shitty fights even the ufc

i agree not every fight was good but neither is every ufc fight - i liked watching it and found the robbie and nick fights both good -- i was waiting for robbie's leg to fly out of the ring -- and nick showed some good boxing -- as i say every promotion has shitty fights even the ufc

I've never seen a better girl fight lol that Amsterdam chick can bang, and I really didn't have much respect for womens MMA til I saw Cyborg out there throwin bombs. That's a man with a bra on lol looks like Wanderlei Silva's illegitimate off spring.

I thought this card was very entertaining, it don't matter WHO is fighting. Matters the show that they put on and I was entertained.

chim in on what steve said-------- i think females deserve to do mma just like the men. the problem is there arent a lot of good femael competiotrs YHEAT. but in the future there deff will be and it will be worth the watch.

on ther topic at hand i thought this event was pretty bunk, i even watched something else inbween fightas it was rather dull.

Strikeforce is able to hold a good event once in a while, but as an organization they're a bit of a joke. None of their fighters made their name in the organization and none of their championship contenders gets any build up. To have a contender for their worthless belts they have to wait till one of the other organization produces a good fighter and decides to cut him for some reason.

Todays event was one of the worst ones I have ever seen from a major organization, probably even worse than Dynamite. Their "B level star vs Nobody" card really lived up to the hype. I'm so disappointed that I stayed up for that crap.

Give 'em a break man, they've barely started!

It's in the best interests of the fans for there to be rivals to the UFC.

Challenging such a dominant org. is not easy, though.

Give 'em a break man, they've barely started!

It's in the best interests of the fans for there to be rivals to the UFC.

Challenging such a dominant org. is not easy, though.

Yeah agree on this. You cant expect strikeforce to rival the UFC yet, right now they are just trying to keep up.

As i was watching the Strikeforce event earlier tonight i couldnt help but think about how much bigger its gotten. But to me it seems like StrikeForce is full of the UFC's "sloppy seconds". Guys who couldnt make it in the UFC or that the UFC simply didnt want around anymore seem to be gathering in strikeforce. I guess my point is i feel that Strikeforce's fame is kind of undeserved. Thoughts?

I have the opposite feeling that you do, I don't think Strikeforce gets enough credit. The UFC is clearly the top organization, but I don't think that's a knock on Strikeforce. I don't begrudge anyone who only enjoys watching the top level of competition, unless and until that person claims to be a fan of the sport overall. For example, I don't want to hear someone say that they're a baseball fan one minute, and then say that the Yankees, Angels and Red Sox are the only teams worth watching the next. I don't mind at all if someone thinks only Yankees games are worth their time, but that makes them a Yankees fan, not a baseball fan, and I'll weigh their opinion of Joey Votto accordingly (which is to say, I'll dismiss it).

I think that Strikeforce has a few bits n' pieces that are on the UFC's level. I think Mauro Ranallo is better than Mike Goldberg. I think Fedor is the world's #1 Heavyweight. I think Arlovski, Overeem, Rogers and Werdum would be in the Top 15 in the UFC. I think Mousasi and Hendo would be Top-5 Middleweights in the UFC. I think Jake Shields would be a Top-5 Welterweight in the UFC, and Nick Diaz would be in the UFC's Top 10. I think Gilbert Melendez would be in the Top-10 of the UFC's Lightweight division, and that any one of the guys I've just named could earn a title shot in the UFC with a good run of form.

There's a Nick Hornby book in which he talks about a kid he knew in school who was "a [soccer] god", by far the best player he'd ever played against, who made it as far as the bench of a fourth-division English team. Fighters who couldn't quite make it in the UFC are damned-good fighters. I like watching damned-good competitors in the sports that I enjoy (and sometimes even in sports that I don't much enjoy, such as in the Olympics).

I have the opposite feeling that you do, I don't think Strikeforce gets enough credit. The UFC is clearly the top organization, but I don't think that's a knock on Strikeforce. I don't begrudge anyone who only enjoys watching the top level of competition, unless and until that person claims to be a fan of the sport overall. For example, I don't want to hear someone say that they're a baseball fan one minute, and then say that the Yankees, Angels and Red Sox are the only teams worth watching the next. I don't mind at all if someone thinks only Yankees games are worth their time, but that makes them a Yankees fan, not a baseball fan, and I'll weigh their opinion of Joey Votto accordingly (which is to say, I'll dismiss it).

I think that Strikeforce has a few bits n' pieces that are on the UFC's level. I think Mauro Ranallo is better than Mike Goldberg. I think Fedor is the world's #1 Heavyweight. I think Arlovski, Overeem, Rogers and Werdum would be in the Top 15 in the UFC. I think Mousasi and Hendo would be Top-5 Middleweights in the UFC. I think Jake Shields would be a Top-5 Welterweight in the UFC, and Nick Diaz would be in the UFC's Top 10. I think Gilbert Melendez would be in the Top-10 of the UFC's Lightweight division, and that any one of the guys I've just named could earn a title shot in the UFC with a good run of form.

There's a Nick Hornby book in which he talks about a kid he knew in school who was "a [soccer] god", by far the best player he'd ever played against, who made it as far as the bench of a fourth-division English team. Fighters who couldn't quite make it in the UFC are damned-good fighters. I like watching damned-good competitors in the sports that I enjoy (and sometimes even in sports that I don't much enjoy, such as in the Olympics).

Great post.

Personally, I think SF has the better set of HW's. Top end HW's at least.

I rate Overeem and Rogers as highly as any UFC HW who doesn't have a sword on his chest. And then you have Fedor...

I'd take all three over the UFC HW's, excluding Brock, of course.

Mir might do ok, but I see him getting tagged standing and struggling to impose his ground game on Rogers and Overeem.

I've not mentioned Minotauro, when maybe I should have, but I just do not see many top level fights left in him, mores the pity, and again, I think Rogers and Overeem would be too much on the feet for him.

But, having said all that, what do I know?

I was certain MM would whip Lawler, and while he was doing so, oh so convincingly, anything can happen with 4oz gloves.

I liked the Cyborg - Coenen fight today. Walker I couldn't care less. Lashley needs to get some real competition.

Anyway, I like strikeforce a lot and I think it's getting A LOT better step by step. UFC is way ahead of them but strikeforce now has the 2nd spot in my books.

I don't want to see a bunch of one sided fights, even if one is ends with a Hail Marry KO. They turn what should be a sport into a circus.

Sorry, this doesn't even come close to the UFC. I want good fights between two top level athletes with skill.

i would really love to ear you're opinion on ufc's 107 card..