TWW News presents The Almost Men

ArtieBanks

TWW News – The Almost Men

http://i.imgur.com/BawKd7t.png

In the world of sports we celebrate those who make it to the pinnacle of their chosen profession. What about those who get so close yet so far? Stars such as Dan Marino, Reggie Miller and Jim Kelly come to mind when you talk about those almost men. In tycoon we have had our fair share of almost men and today I’ll rank them in my top 5 best almost men.

The Fighters

#1 Merrimac Mjolnir

He can be argued to be one of the greatest heavyweights to grace the game. In his run to make it to the top he had beaten heavyweight legends such as Bubba KillsInWater, Aloha Hoi, John Farson and Son Goku. As people were lobbying for Golden Glory vs Mjolnir (little did we know what we know now about the two) Mjolnir took on Knyto Gruffo in a fight many thought was just another name to add on to the list. In what was one of the bloodiest fights to take place in tycoon Gruffo shocked everyone to derail Mjolnir and cost him his spot at the top of the totem pole. He quickly avenged that shocking defeat to Gruffo and then dispatched of Seabass and Hoi again setting up another shot at the #1 p4p position against Jeremy Tonal.

In a one sided beat down Mjolnir got hammered by Tonal but he never gave up hope of getting that spot. In another two rematches he hammered John Farson and David Abbott and set up his last shot at glory against Victor Creed. Once again Mjolnir failed to rise to the occasion and was handed another defeat. It was not long after this fight his manager went inactive and Mjolnir depopped to a shell of himself.

Mjolnir reminds me a lot of Jim Kelly in the way he had so many shots at being able to get the #1 p4p spot but could never get it right on the night. It was a really difficult decision between the top 5 to who goes where as it could be argued that anyone of them deserves the top spot. Mjolnir takes it though due to him having a couple of shots at taking it from the #1 p4p fighter himself.

#2 Pat McDermot

This again was a really tough one between him and the #3/4 on the list. I had to pick Pat due to him being the closest out of everyone to actually taking the top spot only to be denied by the judges. Pat some may say that he had some of the best hiddens in the game with his granite chin and big KO power and had a hall of fame manager to help him on his way.

His first serious run at the top spot came after his huge upset to Pete Doherty in the Syn 2mil tourney. He started easily dispatching his opponents via KO and during this time made the switch to Blitz NY from VFC which gave him the opportunity to fight the best middleweights available. After defeating Tito Hopkins to gain the Middleweight belt he then went on a nice streak until he reached his first opportunity to get the big prize against Boba Fett. In a one sided thumping Boba was hammered pillar to post and everyone thought that Pat had more than enough to secure the victory. The judges however must have been bribed, blind or both and awarded Fett the victory.

Pat went on a slight tail spin and lost his next fight to Big Pox but soon got his head straight and gunned for that rematch against Fett. After dispatching two FinnFighters he got that shot and won comfortably. This left him on the edge of becoming the #1 p4p fighter and solidifying his spot in the hall of fame and the best middleweight ever but fate dealt him a cruel blow. He took on the #1 ranked LHW at the time Smokudju Womba in a highly anticipated match. In a back and forth match it could be argued either one of them could have won it. After the bad karma of losing to Fett the first time the judges ruled the fight a draw.

No rematch ever took place and Pat went off to Evo and then went off the rails losing to Valentine in his last shot at greatness. Pat can be argued to be one of the best middleweights to grace the game; he can even be argued to be the almost man of the game. One thing is for certain though; he must have pissed of karma in a big way.

#3 Moses Diggs

If I asked Chris who was one of his favourite fighters of all time he would say Moses Diggs. Chris has seen numerous fighters of his reach the pinnacle of the game but I suspect the fact Diggs never made it might eat at him. Diggs had his fair share of opportunities to reach the top spot but on the night it just wasn’t meant to be. Diggs was blessed with great hiddens but he had one major weakness; paper skin.

Diggs rise to stardom was very quick, by the age of 25 he was 18-1 with the Blitz Rio belt around his waist after destroying YB Sol Jr and Ares he found himself closing in on the #1 p4p spot and only one man stood in his way; Jeremy Tonal. It seems to be a reoccurring theme that Tonal is stopping people getting to the #1 p4p spot. He beat Diggs like a red headed step child and knocked him out in the first round.

It was back to the drawing board for Diggs as he soon lost his title to Noir who fell of the face of the planet soon after. He then won his trilogy against Orville Redenbacher before taking on Boba Fett and losing in a very close decision. He got his revenge as Karter so often does and then went after Womba. A NC, Auto-flight and then a soul destroying defeat to Womba left Diggs once again back at square one and looking to get one last shot before his time was up.

He went on a mini streak before losing to Gristle but got a shot at overly hyped Thunder and destroyed him in the 3rd round. This got him his final shot at glory against Womba. For those familiar with how the story goes between Womba and Karter will know that this didn’t turn out well for Chris as he got defeated for the 3rd time against Womba and leaving him once again on the cusp of greatness.

Diggs went on to finish his career in Syn winning the title then losing the title before eventually calling it a day. Diggs is one of the best LHWs we have seen in the game but at the time this was one of the deepest divisions in the game. Chris can smile knowing that Diggs old sparring partner Taj was able to get the #1 p4p spot. He also finally harpooned his white whale Womba with the most unlikely of fighters on his stable.

#4 Boba Fett

It was between him and Pat for the #2 spot on this list but I gave it to Pat due to the closeness of getting the top spot. The fun fact between the two of them is that they cost each other their shot at glory. Boba I compare to more like Michael Bisping in the terms he was always a couple of fights away from the title but could never reach it.

His first shot at glory came during his second win streak which seen him capture the 185 Blitz gold and defeat legends such as Manny, Sunny and Big Pox. He went into the Ascension NYE event knowing a win against Tito Hopkins would get him a shot at Tonal and the #1 p4p spot. In what was a shock to some Boba got brutally knocked out by the stone fists of Tito and lost his spot to fight Tonal. After a slightly turbulent time Boba finally reset himself and went after the top spot again defeating Pox in a rubber match, Ryo Narushima and King not too long after he himself had derailed Tonal. It was then he came up against Mason Archer who at the time was in the top 10 p4p and closing in on the #1 p4p spot himself. Mason put on a clinic and was able to defeat Boba sending him back to square one again. His final shot came after “defeating” Pat McDermot and Moses Diggs. He had one final test against Diggs again but sadly fell short of the hurdle in a closely fought fight.

Boba to some is the best middleweight the game has seen. He came so close to reaching that top spot but again like the rest just fell shy of the mark. Boba’s manager shortly departed after losing these fights and that was that for Boba. He depopped and is still fighting on some low rent fighting arenas around the world.

#5 Kalle Reinikainen

Now this one might cause a bit of controversy but he is in here because of one fight and one fight only. He was less than three minutes away from being crowned the #1 p4p fighter. Kalle was part of a three way fight deal. If Boba won his fight against Tito which we know by now he didn’t then he was to fight the winner of Kalle vs Tonal. Kalle gave Tonal a beaten like he had never had before dishing out big shots but couldn’t finish the granite chinned Tonal. In the 5th round Tonal got a takedown and instantly worked his way into mount. As Kalle’s corner shouted for him to fight for the decision, Deamus yelled out to Tonal to swing for the fences. Tonal landed a vicious elbow which finished the fight and also ended Kalle’s dreams of the hall of fame.

Kalle had an up and down career after that he fought way past his prime and his chin was completely shot. He came the closest to beating Tonal before WMK did and that is why I rank him here; he showed that Tonal was human after all.

I am gonna do this in two parts so next time I get some free time I’ll do the manager portion. Feel free to discuss etc down below anyone you agree or disagree with.

• Upvote 10

If I'm not on the almost managers write up this thing is a fraud!

TWWWN:

CGrace: He almost had sex with his wife that one time after the Cocksmen were done with her. She invited he and Louie to have at it, but they chose to sit there and talk aboot what they would doo to a woman like Canadians are known to doo.

• Downvote 1