CM Punk signed by the UFC

I'm interested to see if this is legit first off. Also if he has any chance in the Cage, Brock coming is one thing he has a ameature wrestling background and HW is a lot less competitive then MW. Huge fan of CM Punk but not sure if this is a good move hope he has been serious about it if he is gonna give it a go.

I think it is legit, in terms of it'll happen. He just gave an interview during the pay per view confirming as much. No idea how good he'll be, but it's a massive name for the UFC for more casual fans as CM Punk had/has a massive following.

CM Punk should a heavyweight.. that's what he was in the WWE.

Weight classes don't mean anything in WWE, Rey Mysterio was World Heavyweight Champion.

im interested in seeing who his first match is against -- just also wonder how some of the lower tier guys feel about him and wonder what kind of money he signed for -- i mean him and lesnar are different people and deals really -- lesnar was ncaa champ and at least had 1 fight, cm punk has no kind of background like that -- honestly dont think he has any kind of draw like lesnar does / did -- guess we will see how it goes though

He has the BJJ background training with the Gracie's and I feel like he has some other form of martial arts background (Tae Kwon Do, possibly). He will be fighting at Welterweight I believe, which he should be about average size for. Dana said in an interview a few days ago that if they signed Punk, then he would fight someone with a similar record.

I can't see it being a hugely successful run, especially at 36, but if they are going to match him up against guys with similar records (which doesn't seem like total bullshit at all does it :yeahright: ) he could possibly win a fight or two and then call it quits. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they put him on TUF.

I don't like when the UFC does corny shit like this. If he is any good he can win a few fights in smaller shows before the UFC gives him a sniff. I cant imagine a 36 year old who likely has lots of damage to his body from fake wrestling will amount to anything. This will just give more ammo to those who say MMA/UFC is a slowly devolving into the "sports entertainment" territory.

• Downvote 1

that fork that New Jack threw out into the crowd that almost hit me in the face at an ECW show wasn't fake. The injuries they get aren't fake. The mat isn't exactly a matress, it's more landing on plywood repeatedly for more days than a "real" sports season.

• Upvote 1

No, if it was fake people wouldn't actually get hurt.

http://youtu.be/gzCtpVPVv6Y

• Upvote 2

that fork that New Jack threw out into the crowd that almost hit me in the face at an ECW show wasn't fake. The injuries they get aren't fake. The mat isn't exactly a matress, it's more landing on plywood repeatedly for more days than a "real" sports season.

He probably saw your giant bald head and thought it was an egg.

They are roided up stunt men who shave their body hair and oil themselves up before they put on their underwear and pretend to fight in front of a mob of mouth breathing trailer trash and low functioning adults. Who cares if they get hurt, getting hurt doesnt make it a sport. I can get hurt at work and it doesnt make me an athlete or my work a sport.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He probably saw your giant bald head and thought it was an egg.

They are roided up stunt men who shave their body hair and oil themselves up before they put on their underwear and pretend to fight in front of a mob of mouth breathing trailer trash and low functioning adults. Who cares if they get hurt, getting hurt doesnt make it a sport. I can get hurt at work and it doesnt make me an athlete or my work a sport.

At The time I still had hair, original ECW not the WWE brand.

People don't pay money to see you at work.

Punk Vs Sonnen. That would be very best fight ever, when it comes to build-up and marketing the fight. And this one is no-brainer, I hope Punk will stick around enough to let Chael's suspension vanquish so they can do it.

My opinion is simple: God bless Phil Brooks, he deserves every dollar he makes. Same as anyone who ever found a way to make money (in a good way, so don't get your hopes high, Mentor). He wants to use his love for martial arts and his fame to make some coin. That's it. Brock became champion ONLY because he was a heavyweight and we know how that division works. Punk as champion at Middleweight? HIGHLY unlikely. Though this sport is crazy and no one saw Matt Serra winning the title before it happened, right? So who knows...we can only sit back, watch and enjoy.

Wrestling isn't fake, its scripted, if you don't know what difference it makes, go to library and pick up a dictionary.

• Upvote 1

If two opposing forces (teams, wrestlers, whatever) have some kind of competition between them were the winner is already decided before the competition begins it is fake. Scripted is fake.

Pro wrestling is fake. If you are over the age of 12 and still a fan of pro wrestling, I don't know what to tell you. It's certainly a poor reflection of your mental state.

Signing CM Punk to be a MMA fighter in the org with the highest level of MMA worries me because I am interpreting it as a sign of desperation. MMA popularity has already seemed to have peaked and is now waning. If the UFC feels they need to bring in personality over ability they must be in trouble in some regards.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Brock gets enough credit for his skills honestly. I thought if you looked at Brock's striking, you could see improvement in his fights. Go back and re-watch that fight against Cain Velasquez and he was throwing 1-2's and doing decent until the whole back flip debacle and shit.

I think the biggest mistake he made was the fact that he didn't do full contact sparring. I'm sure he trained his striking (since you could see him improve) but it was probably technique and hitting bags and shit like that. But anytime he'd get in a fight and get hit with clean shots, he would turn into a deer in headlights. I personally attribute that to lack of full contact sparring. If you're getting punched in the face everyday in training, it's not such a shock when it happens in a fight. I think his chin seemed like it could take a ton of punishment based on the beating Carwin handed him in the 1st round of their fight.

I'd still like to see Brock return one day if he's truly healthy. I can't say that I think this run would go much better than the last if he doesn't change any of his fight preparation but it'd still be fun to watch.

At The time I still had hair, original ECW not the WWE brand.

People don't pay money to see you at work.

HIs employer does.

Anyway i'm not sure what to think of CM Punk coming to the UFC but I am always excited to see a WWF Star actually fight. Now lets see if it is a can or a contender he faces. I mean this guy is 36 and doesn't have long to pave a career.

I am a pro-wrestling fan and I am a bigger fan of C.M. Punk but this whole thing is a bit silly in my opinion. It reeks of a publicity stunt. I can't see how he's going to have any kind of success. If he fights in 2015, I am going to say by the end of 2016 the whole CM Punk experiment is over.

I am sure Dana will milk it for PPV buys. Is he doing this so when Punk fails he can say that all these other sports can't do MMA? former NFL players, former WWE stars, former pro boxers and for the most part they come in and get stomped? I just don't get it really, but hey I will watch and cheer for him I guess. I'd prefer to be cheering for him in pro-wrestling though.

It's not fake, if it was fake people wouldn't get hurt. Wrestler's wouldn't retire early because of neck injuries due to high risk moves if it was fake. Droz wouldn't be paralyzed if it was fake.

I am a pro-wrestling fan and I am a bigger fan of C.M. Punk but this whole thing is a bit silly in my opinion. It reeks of a publicity stunt. I can't see how he's going to have any kind of success. If he fights in 2015, I am going to say by the end of 2016 the whole CM Punk experiment is over.

I am sure Dana will milk it for PPV buys. Is he doing this so when Punk fails he can say that all these other sports can't do MMA? former NFL players, former WWE stars, former pro boxers and for the most part they come in and get stomped? I just don't get it really, but hey I will watch and cheer for him I guess. I'd prefer to be cheering for him in pro-wrestling though.

Duuuh...is there any other reason for UFC to hire him as a fighter? Come on, fuse, you are smart guy, you know its all about $$$ with this case. Its not because Punk is GOAT MMA fighter and he needs to fight in the UFC, because we aren't getting the best guys without him on the roster. If Chael could fight right now, that would be his debut fight - most likely, held in Chicago.

• Downvote 1