Primaries shakeup

RegularJohn

This has been a pet peeve of mine and I doubt too many people are worried about it but I guess it's worth at least discussing it (that's why I'm posting in the "General Game Discussion" section instead of Improvements).

I never liked that every fighter in the game becomes "Elite" at all disciplines and up to this day I haven't been able to change my mind. if you think about it, no fighter in the history of combat sports has been "Elite" at all the disciplines involved in mma. Please let's not get off topic and start a GOAT discussion - obviously not everyone will agree with ratings that I'll pull out of my ass - but off the top of my head, even the best MMA fighters of all time haven't been nowhere near close to quad elite: Fedor in his prime would've been what? "Strong" boxing, "Competent" muay thai, "Sensational" wrestling and a BJJ purple belt? Jon Jones would've had "Abysmal" boxing, "Proficient" muay thai, "Elite" wrestling and a BJJ purple belt as well; GSP would've had "Elite" wrestling but not elite anywhere else; Mighty Mouse might be the one that's the closest to it but even so his striking is not "Elite" across the board by any means.

Also no Elite boxer has ever been even mediocre at muay thai; no Elite BJJ player or Wrestling world champion has ever had Elite striking; Several top muay thai fighters have become boxing world champions but you would've been hard pressed to say they had "Elite" boxing - even the great Samart Payakaroon who's widely considered the goat of muay thai and was a WBC champion probably wasn't exactly "Elite" - and certainly none of these crossover champions had any BJJ skills or high level overall wrestling skills.

So why in MMA Tycoon should you be able to become "Elite" at all disciplines? IMHO once you get to Exceptional/Sensational, it should be so hard to pop to the next level that you would only be able to do it at the expense of depopping in something else (the same with physicals - no one has "Elite" strenght and cardio at the same time for instance).

• Upvote 3

In terms with realism - I completely agree with you.

In terms of gameplay - not sure game engine is made for your suggestion and change like that would require complete rewriting of the game engine and I guess we both should agree that Mike would never do this. Just imagine what would happen on the current engine when best striker meets best grappler(by best I mean the best with primaries from your suggestion) - either 1min. KO or 1min. sub. Personally, I wouldn't have fun if every fight was like this. I think I have suggested similar thing before, but now that I have learned the game engine slightly better, I don't think it is possible to work out.

Maybe there should be put a primary cap of 500 points or so, so your fighter isn't elite everywhere, but you should still be able to reach Exceptional in all four primaries.

Even if there is a much lower cap, I think people would aim to get all primaries equal cause it prolly gon be more effective than having high striking but no ground game. So there wouldn't be a change afterall - Elite-Elite-Elite-Elite would become Strong-Strong-Strong-Strong.

About physicals - Mike is working on physical cap update.

• Upvote 1

Well I must say I do see a huge whole in your discussion. It is very hard to measure what level a person is in real life. We aren't nor can be put in a little tick box to measure every single aspect for every single "secondary" to increase that "quote unquote" primary. Reason for this is some fighters go through their entire career where no opponent has tested a certain discipline of a fighter. That alone makes it hard to say. If a guy has been rocking it with 67-0 or a 34-2 record or whatever but has KOs and decision wins but no submission wins does not mean he isn't an elite bjj guy. All fighters even if they are incredibly well rounded do in fact have preferences also maybe he was so dominate on the feet outclassing everyone he didn't want to go to the ground, or amazing on the feet and when it went to the ground he didn't need to submit guys or only had to use his submission defense. And then lets also not forget the fact that you have an opponent if he has close to elite in an area or is elite in an area it can make your elite level skill in that discipline look average as it's close or not well as he is slightly better. Let's face it just because it is Elite doesn't mean there isn't someone that is still better at that discipline. It's called Elite not GODLIKE. I mean who knows also there may be some martial arts expert in Korea somewhere who is Elite in all these different categories but doesn't fight professionally. There are over 7 billion on the planet and growing and changing who they are and who they have been throughout history. You do not know every single person on the planet nor everyone that has lived or will live so to say not a single person has ever been Elite in all areas is pretty foolhardy.

Well I must say I do see a huge whole in your discussion. It is very hard to measure what level a person is in real life. We aren't nor can be put in a little tick box to measure every single aspect for every single "secondary" to increase that "quote unquote" primary. Reason for this is some fighters go through their entire career where no opponent has tested a certain discipline of a fighter. That alone makes it hard to say. If a guy has been rocking it with 67-0 or a 34-2 record or whatever but has KOs and decision wins but no submission wins does not mean he isn't an elite bjj guy. All fighters even if they are incredibly well rounded do in fact have preferences also maybe he was so dominate on the feet outclassing everyone he didn't want to go to the ground, or amazing on the feet and when it went to the ground he didn't need to submit guys or only had to use his submission defense. And then lets also not forget the fact that you have an opponent if he has close to elite in an area or is elite in an area it can make your elite level skill in that discipline look average as it's close or not well as he is slightly better. Let's face it just because it is Elite doesn't mean there isn't someone that is still better at that discipline. It's called Elite not GODLIKE. I mean who knows also there may be some martial arts expert in Korea somewhere who is Elite in all these different categories but doesn't fight professionally. There are over 7 billion on the planet and growing and changing who they are and who they have been throughout history. You do not know every single person on the planet nor everyone that has lived or will live so to say not a single person has ever been Elite in all areas is pretty foolhardy.

You're getting overly complicated with this.

• Upvote 2

As far as no-one having elite strength and elite cardio at the same time I would strongly have to disagree with that. Ask most athletes or human biology scientist and they will tell you p4p swimmers are some of the strongest people on the planet. And as rigorous/exhausting their sport is not a person questions their cardio either. They have amazing cardio. So high end swimmers probably would be both elite strength and elite cardio. You have to think is a person with elite strength at 130 pounds going to be as strong or lift as much as a guy that is 6'7" and 345lbs and not talking fat but the guy isn't some strongest man in the world either. Speaking of the strongest man in the world competitions they are starting to go to smaller guys because they are both strong and do have endurance to keep up the high strength for longer periods of time from all the old winners which usually went to who was just the biggest guy.

Sheesh... people you have to understand that no matter that MMAT is an MMA sim, it would never be able to be even close to representing real life MMA with all of its aspects. More important thing is to have balanced engine, where every type of fighter build(striker, grappler, etc.) would have an equal chance to compete at top level. Yeah, realism is very important as well, but u can't sim everything by writing code, especially with the limited programmer resource here.

• Upvote 2

And btw just because I am sure you are going to comeback with there are more physicals than strength and cardio which you said can't be elite at the same time which you are wrong. I gave swimmers to combat those two points as they were the ones you named. Now does anyone know what type of athlete ranks number in p4p for strength? Gymnasts. Which p4p wise as per when creating a fighter and the wiki says your fighters body type does come into play meaning it is elite for a guy with a small frame or elite with a guy with a big frame so a larger more brawny person's elite won't be the same elite as a shorter or thinner frame person. It is elite for their body type. Anyways back on topic with gymnasts being number 2 in p4p as far as athletes go for strength and with what they do you could definitely see how a gymnasts would have very high balance, cardio, flexibility, speed, and agility as well.

In terms with realism - I completely agree with you.

In terms of gameplay - not sure game engine is made for your suggestion and change like that would require complete rewriting of the game engine and I guess we both should agree that Mike would never do this. Just imagine what would happen on the current engine when best striker meets best grappler(by best I mean the best with primaries from your suggestion) - either 1min. KO or 1min. sub. Personally, I wouldn't have fun if every fight was like this. I think I have suggested similar thing before, but now that I have learned the game engine slightly better, I don't think it is possible to work out.

Maybe there should be put a primary cap of 500 points or so, so your fighter isn't elite everywhere, but you should still be able to reach Exceptional in all four primaries.

Even if there is a much lower cap, I think people would aim to get all primaries equal cause it prolly gon be more effective than having high striking but no ground game. So there wouldn't be a change afterall - Elite-Elite-Elite-Elite would become Strong-Strong-Strong-Strong.

About physicals - Mike is working on physical cap update.

Very good points. I am a fool for realism indeed be it in movies, tv series, books or sports simulation games. if MMA Tycoon was a whacky sim where fighters were scoring jumping spinning KO kicks and flying armbars left and right I wouldn't be interested but consideting the way the game engine works, well yeah now I'm likely changing my mind after all.

I'd like to think that fighters become "Elite" in terms of that discipline in an mma context - like Jon Jones and GSP were never D1 wrestling champions but are most likely the best wrestlers in mma or how an "Elite" muay thai guy in MMA wouldn't be throwing round kicks to the body and clinching as often as they do in muay thai.

Very good points. I am a fool for realism indeed be it in movies, tv series, books or sports simulation games. if MMA Tycoon was a whacky sim where fighters were scoring jumping spinning KO kicks and flying armbars left and right I wouldn't be interested but consideting the way the game engine works, well yeah now I'm likely changing my mind after all.

I'd like to think that fighters become "Elite" in terms of that discipline in an mma context - like Jon Jones and GSP were never D1 wrestling champions but are most likely the best wrestlers in mma or how an "Elite" muay thai guy in MMA wouldn't be throwing round kicks to the body and clinching as often as they do in muay thai.

While GSP definitely wasn't as he was never a wrestler at all. I mean definitely a natural when it comes to wrestling ability though. Jon Jones on the other hand was a Division 1 high school state champion which many believe is harder than college just from the shear volume of wrestling in high schools compared to colleges and many state shamps become collegiate champs as well, which he did. He went to a junior college so obviously not a division 1 college, but he was national junior college champion. Also there has been talk for years that there isn't much of a skill difference between division champions in college wrestling and they actually do compete against one another now and you would think the division 1 champion would slaughter the others but actually the talk that there isn't much difference is pretty valid when there has been the fewest division 1 winners in those matches. So while yes technically he wasn't a D1 champion but he didn't go wrestle at a d1 school. With him having both a state division 1 title and a junior college champion does have strong merit outside of mma.

• Upvote 1

you have an opponent if he has close to elite in an area or is elite in an area it can make your elite level skill in that discipline look average as it's close or not well as he is slightly better. Let's face it just because it is Elite doesn't mean there isn't someone that is still better at that discipline. It's called Elite not GODLIKE;

who knows also there may be some martial arts expert in Korea somewhere who is Elite in all these different categories but doesn't fight professionally. There are over 7 billion on the planet and growing and changing who they are and who they have been throughout history. You do not know every single person on the planet nor everyone that has lived or will live so to say not a single person has ever been Elite in all areas is pretty foolhardy

Sorry but IMO you are tripping a little bit:

"Elite" means "most skilled members of a group" so if someone is elite then no one is significantly better than them;

About cardio vs. strenght I'm speaking anecdotally and I definitely don't have no scientific knowledge about this but I know for sure that "p4p" is pure fiction so I'm looking at it as "Elite" strenght being the strongest person in absolute terms and the same with "Elite" cardio. now for building strenght you have to train strenght which requires rest to develop muscle so you cannot train cardio to the same extent that an "Elite" cardio athlete does. at the same time, building cardio requires training cardio which will burn your energy and keep you from training strenght to the same extent that the strongest people do. I could be wrong but I guess that the "Elite" cardio athletes are marathon runners who are ridiculously slim and the strongest people on earth are power lifters who are good at lifting ridiculous ammounts of weight in short bursts and have awful cardio;

And no there is no shaolin monk in Asia who has magic skills and would be the best fighter in the world if he wanted. the best fighters are the ones who train their given disciplines and there aren't enough hours in the day and enough calories in the human body to train more than one discipline to the extent where you become "Elite".

• Downvote 1

While GSP definitely wasn't as he was never a wrestler at all. I mean definitely a natural when it comes to wrestling ability though. Jon Jones on the other hand was a Division 1 high school state champion which many believe is harder than college just from the shear volume of wrestling in high schools compared to colleges and many state shamps become collegiate champs as well, which he did. He went to a junior college so obviously not a division 1 college, but he was national junior college champion. Also there has been talk for years that there isn't much of a skill difference between division champions in college wrestling and they actually do compete against one another now and you would think the division 1 champion would slaughter the others but actually the talk that there isn't much difference is pretty valid when there has been the fewest division 1 winners in those matches. So while yes technically he wasn't a D1 champion but he didn't go wrestle at a d1 school. With him having both a state division 1 title and a junior college champion does have strong merit outside of mma.

Thanks I had no idea about this. I've always heard he didnt have formal elite credentials in wrestling.

Wow leaned a lot about high school and college wrestling but like your previous 2 posts seems like your rambling and I don't understand your point.

Bottom line I feel like primaries should have a cap to keep each of the 4 primaries from becoming elite cause yes it's hard to gauge elite in real life and yes we can argue all day about so n so did this and that plus stats and whatever crap no one is elite across the board. Exceptional, sensational yes but Elite? No maybe elite in one or 2 of said primaries but certainly not elite in all 4. Could a slight adjustment to primaries cap be warrented yes, but is it really the biggest issue probably not at this point. But even then the game engine would have to become more even for ground base fighters and not let sub red belt, black belt bjj fighters get completly swallowed by red belts.

All in all I feel regardless of any primary caps added a game engine modification would be needed to accompany it.

Sorry but IMO you are tripping a little bit:

"Elite" means "most skilled members of a group" so if someone is elite then no one is significantly better than them;

About cardio vs. strenght I'm speaking anecdotally and I definitely don't have no scientific knowledge about this but I know for sure that "p4p" is pure fiction so I'm looking at it as "Elite" strenght being the strongest person in absolute terms and the same with "Elite" cardio. now for building strenght you have to train strenght which requires rest to develop muscle so you cannot train cardio to the same extent that an "Elite" cardio athlete does. at the same time, building cardio requires training cardio which will burn your energy and keep you from training strenght to the same extent that the strongest people do. I could be wrong but I guess that the "Elite" cardio athletes are marathon runners who are ridiculously slim and the strongest people on earth are power lifters who are good at lifting ridiculous ammounts of weight in short bursts and have awful cardio;

And no there is no shaolin monk in Asia who has magic skills and would be the best fighter in the world if he wanted. the best fighters are the ones who train their given disciplines and there aren't enough hours in the day and enough calories in the human body to train more than one discipline to the extent where you become "Elite".

Exactly you don't know science. I do. There are 3 types of muscle strengths. Which is why if you notice the bigger stronger looking fighter fighting the thin fighter will sometimes be pushed around by the thin looking fighter and tell you he is stronger than he looks. There is a reason for this. His muscle type even though isn't big bulky is still real muscle as the quality of it is high. Yes big bulky muscles use up more oxygen to move around but that isn't doesn't mean having a lot of strength means you don't have exceptional cardio. Also there are big bulky guys that can go, go, go as they have developed their lung capacity to hold in more air and let it out more slowly. So I am sorry like you said you don't know the science and aren't equipped to battle the physical abilities of the body with me. Hopefully this finds you learning something.

And yes being elite in a discipline means you are among the top but there are levels even among the elite. Nor did I say anywhere that two Elites fighting in an area one is significantly better than the other. While it could be possible as their are levels even among the elites. What I said was two guys fighting in a particular area that are elite can make it look average. Why would this happen? Because the abilities of each guy is cancelling out the ability of the other. For instance why in mma when you get 2 wrestlers fighting eachother it turns into a striking match unless one of them finds he is the much better wrestler? Because the wrestling of one guy is negated by the wrestling of the other. Take the Damian Maia vs Jorge Masvidal fight for instance. No one in their right mind can dispute that Maia's bjj isn't elite level. That fight pretty much all took place on the ground, and yet Maia still couldn't submit Masvidal. Showcasing that if nothing else Masvidal's submission defense is elite level. In that fight did Maia's bjj look elite? No and why because Masvidal's defense was great and cancelled it out making it look average.

Thanks I had no idea about this. I've always heard he didnt have formal elite credentials in wrestling.

Not a problem at all. He definitely does. The whole feud between Jones and Cormier comes from Jones' collegiate wrestling days. Back when Jones won the national Junior College Championship Cormier was the captain of the olympic wrestling team that won gold and Jones told Cormier that he could take him down. That hit Cormier's ego that a JuCo wrestler thought he could take him down as he was a Division 1 champion as well as an olympic wrestler. Also quite funny about that and Cormier should know their isn't much of a difference and was just pure ego was he was not only a Division 1 champion but before he was a division 1 champion he was a Junior College Champion.

All in all I feel regardless of any primary caps added a game engine modification would be needed to accompany it.

What the game really needs though is a rework in the learning speed and using that to set a max skill point cap. Which would be great because it is a hidden and no one would really know. And what I mean by this is a guy that learns faster has a larger skill point cap and can train things further. Which would make sense as a guy that learns faster should be able to gather more skills than a guy with a slow learning speed rather than the system allowing time to let everyone get there.

Exactly you don't know science. I do. There are 3 types of muscle strengths. Which is why if you notice the bigger stronger looking fighter fighting the thin fighter will sometimes be pushed around by the thin looking fighter and tell you he is stronger than he looks. There is a reason for this. His muscle type even though isn't big bulky is still real muscle as the quality of it is high. Yes big bulky muscles use up more oxygen to move around but that isn't doesn't mean having a lot of strength means you don't have exceptional cardio. Also there are big bulky guys that can go, go, go as they have developed their lung capacity to hold in more air and let it out more slowly. So I am sorry like you said you don't know the science and aren't equipped to battle the physical abilities of the body with me. Hopefully this finds you learning something.

I've read 7 of your 100+ post and you're coming off as an unfathomable human being. That passive aggressive nonsense would of got you beat up a lot growing up in my neighborhood.

You will never see a big bulky muscle guy winning cross country or marathon events. You will never see an Olympic swimmer lift 300+ lbs, no matter how low his body fat % is. End of story.

• Upvote 2

What the game really needs though is a rework in the learning speed and using that to set a max skill point cap. Which would be great because it is a hidden and no one would really know. And what I mean by this is a guy that learns faster has a larger skill point cap and can train things further. Which would make sense as a guy that learns faster should be able to gather more skills than a guy with a slow learning speed rather than the system allowing time to let everyone get there.

Yeah, that makes sense. Let's give the faster learners the ability to learn even more skills so not only can they develop twice as quickly as a slow learner, they can get more total skill points too

1Ze80_s-200x150.gif

• Upvote 1

I've read 7 of your 100+ post and you're coming off as an unfathomable human being. That passive aggressive nonsense would of got you beat up a lot growing up in my neighborhood.

You will never see a big bulky muscle guy winning cross country or marathon events. You will never see an Olympic swimmer lift 300+ lbs, no matter how low his body fat % is. End of story.

I second this

The average weight of an olympic swimmer is 71.6kg which would be around 157lbs so that would be saying they would have to lift twice their weight to lift i'm guessing you mean bench. Also they tend to have longer arms which any weight lifter will tell you it's more difficult for longer limbed people to bench as much as shorter limbed as will science because the weight has further to travel. So yes this is all very relevant. Is a 300lb "strongman" benching 600lbs? because we are talking the same thing here.

The raw which would be the least amount of help world record is 739 lbs and the guy weighs 386 lbs which news flash still isn't twice his weight and that is the world record. So sorry your analogy is comparing apples to oranges. Yes they are both fruit, just the same as they are both people but are completely different fruits.

And also congrats you make judgements based on one thread. Ah color me proud. Good for you.

Yeah, that makes sense. Let's give the faster learners the ability to learn even more skills so not only can they develop twice as quickly as a slow learner, they can get more total skill points too

1Ze80_s-200x150.gif

It is the only thing that could make relative sense in making a change from everyone being able to have 4 elites, and the only area in which doing so would be the most logical thing to tie the code change into.

For instance lets say for the sake of argument your learning speed is dumber than mud, mine is average, and JDV since he is the first name I came across is fast as all get out. The 3 of us decide to all learn a skill we have no knowledge in like we will just say game design since this is about a game we will use that. since JDV learns it much faster than either of us the chance he becomes a master at game design would be much higher as long as he keeps at it he should get there. If I learn at half the rate he does while he should the chance of me catching him ever or mastering it should may happen at some point but very unlikely as at some point no matter how skilled you are or as much as you learn getting better does become a little harder. So maybe i do, but highly unlikely, and you are dumb as a box of rocks and learn at half of my speed while it would be unlikely for me to ever catch JDV in game design you for sure will never master it.

Now with this being said that is also assuming we are starting at the same point. Lets say I start out with average game design knowledge, you even though you can't learn to tie your shoelaces start out with a lot of knowledge in game design, and JDV has no clue what digital data or a graphical interface aka( very new ad no knowledge) and we all start learning or getting more knowledge game design at the same date then maybe we all master it.

But that is not how this game works. But it would make the most sense.

It is the only thing that could make relative sense in making a change from everyone being able to have 4 elites, and the only area in which doing so would be the most logical thing to tie the code change into.

For instance lets say for the sake of argument your learning speed is dumber than mud, mine is average, and JDV since he is the first name I came across is fast as all get out. The 3 of us decide to all learn a skill we have no knowledge in like we will just say game design since this is about a game we will use that. since JDV learns it much faster than either of us the chance he becomes a master at game design would be much higher as long as he keeps at it he should get there. If I learn at half the rate he does while he should the chance of me catching him ever or mastering it should may happen at some point but very unlikely as at some point no matter how skilled you are or as much as you learn getting better does become a little harder. So maybe i do, but highly unlikely, and you are dumb as a box of rocks and learn at half of my speed while it would be unlikely for me to ever catch JDV in game design you for sure will never master it.

Now with this being said that is also assuming we are starting at the same point. Lets say I start out with average game design knowledge, you even though you can't learn to tie your shoelaces start out with a lot of knowledge in game design, and JDV has no clue what digital data or a graphical interface aka( very new ad no knowledge) and we all start learning or getting more knowledge game design at the same date then maybe we all master it.

You lost me. So your saying only fighters with high learning ability or high iq can really improve and become useful? And on top of that i dont really see what this theory on improving learning speed really has to do with the discussion at hand.

To a degree i feel like your arguing with yourself.

Oh I know since you like comparing apples to oranges Rambo next you are going to come up with some fat guy can't win a marathon either. Again it's elite for the body type not elite meaning a pound guy can bench 700lbs because a guy with elite strength weighing 500lbs can. They both have elite strength so they both should be able to right? Again body types so that is apples to oranges. To be relevant if you create a fat fighter and he has elite conditioning just finishing a marathon would be an elite task and for the record yes a fat guy has. Kelly Gneiting who was a 430lb sumo wrestler finished the Los Angeles marathon.

You lost me. So your saying only fighters with high learning ability or high iq can really improve and become useful? And on top of that i dont really see what this theory on improving learning speed really has to do with the discussion at hand.

To a degree i feel like your arguing with yourself.

Sorry let me make it more clear for you since I lost you. I am not saying only fighters can. In this game it seems with the right gym and time every fighter can reach elite everywhere. The person who made this thread was saying it needs to be changed since he sees a bunch of fighters at 4 elites. I am stating that adapting code in with the hidden learning speed would probably be the best place to modify it if it were to be changed. But if that was to happen to add more realism to the game then you should probably go a step further and mix in the hidden learning speed with where they start on how far they can advance in different areas.

Sorry let me make it more clear for you since I lost you. I am not saying only fighters can. In this game it seems with the right gym and time every fighter can reach elite everywhere. The person who made this thread was saying it needs to be changed since he sees a bunch of fighters at 4 elites. I am stating that adapting code in with the hidden learning speed would probably be the best place to modify it if it were to be changed. But if that was to happen to add more realism to the game then you should probably go a step further and mix in the hidden learning speed with where they start on how far they can advance in different areas.

He was speaking of primaries skill cap, your literally rambling on about nonsense, so you want mike to come up with some algorithm or coding to make certain body types (a thing that already makes enough sense within the game without adding reach.) Essentially more op than the other. Seems to me this would make the game even more formulaic than it already is to the point where everyone would just choose the same body types with quick learning speed next thing you know we all literally have the same fighters playing with each others balls. Granted not like people don't already do that to an extent but i can only imagine that it would get far worse.

The point of this was would we like the idea of possibly decreasing the primary skill cap, you have came along and turned this into a way more complicated issue then it ever intended to be.

Along with that, should learning speed be increased overall? Maybe, but pretty sure we have other threads dedicated to that argument, not to mention the overall idea just seems like a lot, i forgot who said it but do we really want every aspect of this game to be as realistic as possible?

A slight decrease in primaries skill cap I think would add to the realism make achieving your fighters max skill cap a little faster because you won't need to train as long to get your fighter maxed out.

With all due respect, you’ve had 4 fights in this game so far and are 2-2. You haven’t even seen the options VIP gives you and you are here to tell everyone how this game works? Am I missing something here?

• Upvote 1