What the hell is this!?

A 8-0 fighter by the manager Joel Nicola is fighting a 0-1 fighter. This happened just a couple of days ago.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=99836

I've heard about org owners putting very unmatched fights on their cards but this is absolutely crazy!

If their primarys where about the same then I wouldn't mind but c'mon this fight would NEVER be allowed irl.

Well, whoever accepted the fight is a moron...really now...

And that's the reason why Org owners who sign their own fighters have a bad name...because of people like that.

I run my own org and do happen to have most of my own fighters signed to it, but would never even consider setting up fights so evenly unmatched. I just go by the rankings to set up matches, that way everyone knows it's fair. Hard to argue the numbers/records.

But yeah...WOW @ that matchup!

This guy is really starting to be detrimental to the game as a whole. Something should be done about him.

I don't think he causes much harm really, the mismatches obviously look really bad when comparing records but I doubt he causes more losses for newcomers than any good manager using qfcs. It also takes an org owner giving him those match ups in the first place which imo says something about the org but I guess it's tempting when you're new and Joel offers you a couple of fighters with decent hype.

I don't think he causes much harm really, the mismatches obviously look really bad when comparing records but I doubt he causes more losses for newcomers than any good manager using qfcs. It also takes an org owner giving him those match ups in the first place which imo says something about the org but I guess it's tempting when you're new and Joel offers you a couple of fighters with decent hype.

QFC's are different. Unless you're talking about a project fighter going into one, both fighters have generally the same opportunity skill wise. Like you said that manager went inactive after 7 days...how many more have done the same? Org owners are the ones who have to step up and squash this guys antics.

But 5 of his losses were in qfcs, problem was he had no clue. There really should be separate qfcs for managers in their first month or so and the rest. Any experienced manager can make a fighter, have him on cardio and strength for a few weeks and then tear it up in qfcs. There's maybe a 1 in 5 chance you run into a good manager.

I understand why people use qfcs and don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just think it should be separated into categories.

He quite possibly caused that guy to quit. That alone shows that it is having a negative impact on the game.

He will only fight someone he has a clear advantage over, this is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from the first time he's done it.

He quite possibly caused that guy to quit. That alone shows that it is having a negative impact on the game.

He will only fight someone he has a clear advantage over, this is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from the first time he's done it.

I definitely think he's an ass and don't for a second think he should be taking those fights. I just don't agree that "Something should be done about him." since that probably would take time from more important problems.

Yep, my feelings are just leave him alone and ignore him. I usually send messages to the orgs in Topkyo that open up and sign his guys, just to give them a fair warning of what they're getting themselves into. Besides that, he doesn't really harm anyone. It sucks that he's getting fights like that, but again, it comes down to the org owners not to offer him those fights.

Yep, my feelings are just leave him alone and ignore him. I usually send messages to the orgs in Topkyo that open up and sign his guys, just to give them a fair warning of what they're getting themselves into. Besides that, he doesn't really harm anyone. It sucks that he's getting fights like that, but again, it comes down to the org owners not to offer him those fights.

...and that's what I mean by "Do something about him."...

I don't think anything needs to be done about "him". What he is doing is possible in the game, so its the game that needs changing. There needs to be something automated to stop such huge mismatches. For example, when booking fights, you could get a message saying that the match won't be sanctioned because it's a huge mismatch.

Joel is just a player abusing a problem with the game that hasn't yet been addressed. If we "deal with him" then its only a short term measure. Eventually, Joel 2 will come along. The real solution to this should be to look at ways the game can change to prevent it.

Mis-matches are rather subjective though. How would you legislate it?

You could have someone with useless/strong/strong/brown against wonderful/useless/abysmal/white and the one with 100+ less points could get the 5 second KO.

Also, how would you regulate experience?

Someone who knows what they are doing could beat a technically stronger guy with the correct tactics. It is part of the game and losing teaches you more than winning.

Exploitation of this comes with the territory. To many rules would make the game restrictive and only a small amount of policing could stop major infringements of these liberties.

But 5 of his losses were in qfcs, problem was he had no clue. There really should be separate qfcs for managers in their first month or so and the rest. Any experienced manager can make a fighter, have him on cardio and strength for a few weeks and then tear it up in qfcs. There's maybe a 1 in 5 chance you run into a good manager.

I understand why people use qfcs and don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just think it should be separated into categories.

Totally agree. I've been banging this drum for months.

80-90% of new managers throw at least one of their guys straight into a QFC and it's these guys who need to be protected.

It's obvious a string of early losses causes people to quit, without ever having fully got to grips with this great game, or more importantly for Mike, having gone VIP. Imho, it would be better for the growth of the game to protect the heck out of noobs, and the best way to do this is to make a safer QFC for them.

Restricting QFC's to less than 5 wins only is a start, but not nearly enough, imho.

As for the Joels of this game, if he's not setting the match-ups, he's not really to blame.

An org owner who tries to set a match between an 8-0 fighter and a 2-0 guy is the one at fault.

And any org owner who consistently mis-matches fighters is either a close pal, or is being paid off, either way it's the owner who should be investigated/warned/banned, or whatever.

Give him "fairer" match-ups and if he continually refuses, release his fighters. How simple is that?

If no org caters to his bully boy tactics, how can he do it?

I don't think anything needs to be done about "him". What he is doing is possible in the game, so its the game that needs changing. There needs to be something automated to stop such huge mismatches. For example, when booking fights, you could get a message saying that the match won't be sanctioned because it's a huge mismatch.

Joel is just a player abusing a problem with the game that hasn't yet been addressed. If we "deal with him" then its only a short term measure. Eventually, Joel 2 will come along. The real solution to this should be to look at ways the game can change to prevent it.

AWESOME POST!!!!!!!

:notworthy:

Mis-matches are rather subjective though. How would you legislate it?

I agree with you that it might not be straight forward to work out how to decide what can class as a mismatch and what can't.

The Wonderful/Useless/Useless/White vs. Useless/Strong/Strong/Brown scenario is a good point, but we all know Joel wouldn't accept that fight :D too risky.

I don't have an example of how to decide a mismatch, but I do think its an idea that could work in theory, if a suitable "mismatch formula" could be created.