Gym fees cap discussion

So I propose a max gym fee cap of $50 plus $40 per coach.

My only worry would be a 40$ cap per coach might cause some problems for coaches who are skilled in multiple disciplines and demand a higher weekly salary.

Could the "$N Per Coach" portion be a function of the gym's coaches' salaries?

If you're foolish enough to pay outrageous prices--then you're probably not that into this game and deserve the short end of the stick. Maybe that's a little harsh.

Actually, that's a lot harsh. I doubt this game can afford to screw casual players like that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in real life no one tells you how many coaches you can have --- but rule was made for it here

What real gym hires 13 trainers? I know AKA has like 5 or 6 and they are one of the elite gyms in MMA. The biggest MMA gyms around the world don't have many more. My gym has 3. One boxing and MT, one wrestling and conditioning, and one BJJ and we have several pros training there.

I don't have an issue with high gym fees because I see it as a way to limit gym membership to a select few top tier fighters so they can get more individual access to elite coaches instead of vying for time with 100 other people and only spar against other top tier fighters. If a new fighter wants to blow his entire bankroll on one week of elite coaching that's his business. The penalty for running out of money is clearly stated and effective money management is part of being a good manager.

I do think it needs to be addressed with how gym fees are changed for existing members. I think allowing rate changes only on Fridays and not putting them into effect until the Thursday after is the best idea. It still allows exploitation of a small part of the user base (the ones who don't login but twice a month) but it's far better than the current system which allows for the exploitation of 100% of the user base.

Also seeing as how two of my fighters got screwed by a gym when they joined, paid fees and then had the gym vanish the next day it'd be nice if there were someway to get refunds in those scenarios or maybe a way to check the overall financial health of the gyms.

What real gym hires 13 trainers? I know AKA has like 5 or 6 and they are one of the elite gyms in MMA. The biggest MMA gyms around the world don't have many more. My gym has 3. One boxing and MT, one wrestling and conditioning, and one BJJ and we have several pros training there.

I'm pretty sure Xtreme Couture has over 20 coaches. Certainly that's not the norm--at my gym we have 3 as well, but occasionally other coaches from some of our different locations teach a class.

I don't think there should be any cap on fees (or max cap at least)

If peeps wanna pay 500/750/1000 a week they should be able to. If gym owners can make gyms with 0 coaches and just spar with their own fighters then people that want to train with elite coaches should be able to set prices higher than most people can afford to make sure they get the best fighter/coach(session) ratio they can

Also seeing as how two of my fighters got screwed by a gym when they joined, paid fees and then had the gym vanish the next day it'd be nice if there were someway to get refunds in those scenarios or maybe a way to check the overall financial health of the gyms.

Next time you join a gym, click on the manager that runs it first. If their manager account is negative, their gym isn't doing too good. A negative manager account only occurs when their company is so low on funds it needs to borrow from the manager account.

It's not a foolproof way to check, but if they're not negative when you join, they should have enough money be around for at least 11 more days, minimum.

I vote for no cap and complete freedom for gym owners to raise/lower fees at their discretion. Let free market economics sort it out unless gyms start falling like dominoes. If gym owners mismanage their gym, that's their own problem, and fighters will see it and leave. If the economy and fighters' pocketbooks will support $500 gym dues, then more power to those gyms.

I do support protecting fighters that get screwed by gyms folding unexpectedly, though.

It's a nice idea in principle but it's also something that takes maybe a 5 hours of programming instead of about 10 minutes, so it depends if you all want other stuff doing, or whether this is a top priority to work this very slightly differently.

It also doesn't safeguard against people who don't log in. Say you had 20 inactive fighters in your gym, you could still up the price and make thousands in profit from it, just off the inactive fighters.

Well I agree with setting controls so that the game can't be exploited, but in this type of game there are going to be exploits all over the place and if people don't appreciate the integrity of the game you could end up spending all of your time fighting exploits. Hopefully most will respect the integrity of the game and avoid exploiting it. But you will always have that group who spend all day and night exploiting loop holes in a game like this.

Again, it's impossible to come up with a system that is unexploitable but to use it an excuse to simply not even try to improve the current situation is BS. Yes, changing the system so that gym fees can only be changed on Friday would still allow a very small, inactive group of players to be exploited for a small amount of money. Now contrast that to the current system where 100% of the games player base is vulnerable to being ripped off for huge sums by shady gym owners.

I'd also like to know on average how many gym members managers haven't logged in the last seven days and their average bank balance. I really doubt it's anywhere near 20 per gym and most of them probably have less than $500 in the bank.

I might be coming off as a dick here but I've been screwed a couple times now and I know of at least one other gym that tripled their rate right before fees were due with no warning to anyone. Having a fighter be forced into full time work because of a scummy owner is ridiculous.

and another thing, I say NO to letting owners change the price without notice

don;t need any more ex owners rolling around with 6 figures

I might be coming off as a dick here but I've been screwed a couple times now and I know of at least one other gym that tripled their rate right before fees were due with no warning to anyone. Having a fighter be forced into full time work because of a scummy owner is ridiculous.

I hope at that point, everyone left the gym that tripled their fees with no warning. I feel like that would have been an excellent time for gym members to "vote with their feet."

Alright, maybe I am softening my stance here. How about 24 hours out from gym dues being paid, dues are prevented from being raised... so that if a gym owner wanted more money when dues were due, he'd have to implement the change 24 hours out, which would essentially give everyone in the gym 24 hours to decide to stay or leave. Perhaps a message could be auto-mailed to all gym members by the game engine... "Your gym is changing their rates to ___." Of course, they could lower their rates at any time... that can't hurt gym members. With this in place, then gym owners would still be free to raise/lower their prices at will, but there would still be some protection for gym members... "Oh, really, Gym X is tripling my rates? Looks like it's time to shop around."

Yeah i wasn't really screwed i guess but Canadian Top Team changed their fees without me getting a message which went above the money i had in my account so i was kicked from the gym and now they have a 99 capacity instead of the 100 capacity when i was in

and another thing, I say NO to letting owners change the price without notice

As a gym owner I agree with this. We've enough info to be able to plan our future income/spending and if the fees need to go up then a 2 week notice should be minimum.

As a gym owner I agree with this. We've enough info to be able to plan our future income/spending and if the fees need to go up then a 2 week notice should be minimum.

2 weeks is a really long time. My gym has only been open around 10 days and I've gone from 0 to 137 members and 0 to 5 coaches with some sacks & new hires along the way. A system giving the most flexibility to the gym owners and the members is best. 2 weeks (almost a month and a half in game time, essentially!) is too long if a "notice period" is the system that is used.

I'd say just lock it 24 hours before fees are taken out, like Charlie said. If owners want give more notice they can. All that needs to be prevented is owners coming in 5 minutes before everyone pays and bumping it up then bumping it down 5 minutes after they get everyone's money. Anything other than that is pretty obvious and people can vote with their feet.