UFC 121 Reaction Thread

It seems everyone is still buzzing about a GSP/Shields fight. I'll be surprised if he makes it through the top end of the division to even get a crack at Georges. Best case scenario for Jake is if Kos manages to beat GSP. I was more disappointed in The Hitman than I was "impressed" with Shields.

Dana has been saying that Shields' first fight should have been a title shot because he beat Dan Henderson, but that with the state of the division he needed to face someone - and that after he did that, he would get the title shot. So, unless Dana was unimpressed with Shields to the point of taking away the title shot (and it wouldn't be the first time he's done that), Shields is next in line for a shot at the welterweight belt.

I think GSP v Shields could be a good fight (I think GSP has the advantage standing, Shields has the advantage when it comes to submissions, and both are good wrestlers - I'd like to see how they approach each other's style), but it also could be pretty boring if they both plan to lay-and-pray.

Kos v Shields could also be good. Kos has the wrestling to potentially keep it standing, but neither of them really has stand-out striking (and I'm not really sure who to give the advantage to - I was originally thinking Kos, but Shields did show some pretty good striking against Henderson, if I remember correctly) - but, I think Shields has way better BJJ. If anything, that should force Shields to be more offensive if it does get to the ground, whether he's on top or bottom, so it could be good.

I was also a bit disappointed in Kampann (I thought his takedown defense would have been better), but Shields really did show that his grappling was bounds above Kampann's. There was really nothing Kampann could do to get away from him - even after he sprawled, Shields would just keep hanging on to him and then drive through, and on the ground Kampann couldn't bring anything to Shields, either. Even when he was tired he had little trouble out-grappling Kampann.

Dana talks in circles, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. Beating a guy you let walk away from your promotion doesn't warrant a fight with one of the better fighters in MMA...especially for a title. It would be a shit show for the UFC if Shields heads into a 5 round tilt in the shape he was in last night.

Kinda looked like to me Kampmann beat himself. He started off the fight real solid. Multiple Escapes to standing. After he got up the first time I was thinking ok, now we've got a fight. But as the fight progressed Martin started getting sloppy or something. He'd get a dominant position on the ground and instead of standing up he's giving up the position for subs?? I understand having confidence in your ground game but he proved a lot just being able to get out from under Shields, a task a lot of people have failed at.. Was wut I would consider going to the well too many times trying to grapple with Shields. He was killing Jake with those knees from clinch.

Edit: I realize a lot of the Hitman's ability to find openings on the ground was due to Shields being gassed, I dunno if Martin could have stayed competitive on the ground against Shields if he hadn't forced a HARD cut on himself.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2nkigc9.jpg

LOL!!

Someone should photoshop that 720 roll from this fight, and the jumping/fly swat/flee from the Shane fight and throw some music to it. A New Dance move would sweep across the nation :P

"AH Do the Brock LESNAR! Do the Brock LESNAR!!

Wave yo hands in the Air/ jump around like you SCARED! Do the Brock LESNAR!"

LOL!!

Someone should photoshop that 720 roll from this fight, and the jumping/fly swat/flee from the Shane fight and throw some music to it. A New Dance move would sweep across the nation :P

"AH Do the Brock LESNAR! Do the Brock LESNAR!!

Wave yo hands in the Air/ jump around like you SCARED! Do the Brock LESNAR!"

ROFL!

I called it "Brockdancing"

Awesome gif, btw

that cut on brock's face was so big i could have sworn it was talking to me.

court mcgee ftw. he looked in MUCH better physical shape than when he was on the show. he's still pretty slow, but that cardio/chin/beard will keep him in most fights. curious to see who they match him up against next.

screw shields, he doesn't deserve a title shot until he gets a DECISIVE win over a top opponent. the fight against hendo meant very little in my eyes, considering hendo just looked like garbage in the fight and shields couldn't even finish it after spending like half an hour in the mount.

it's always great to watch tito lose and get bloodied up, no matter who he's facing.

it was great to see diego sanchez back to "normal". him running across the cage screaming before the slam-takedown was freakin hilarious lol.

love him or hate him you have to RESPECT shields. he's as 1 dimensional as they come but has still racked up 15 straight wins and WILL be fighting the winner of kos/gsp. it's quite impressive to know what the dude is gonna do and still be unable to do anything to stop him.

despite being mega gassed he still tooled kampmann on the floor. heres my neck, take it, try and choke me and watch how i sweep your ass.

with all that being said, i saw a video of jake shields online, "jake shields highlights"...i lol'd

Love the way Cain WHOOPED the most overrated thug in recent MMA history. I never liked Lesnar, to me he is a celebrity which was "pushed" into the HW title picture way before he deserved it, simply because of his appeal (and the fact that the UFC HW division sucks). Cain was very impressive, showed what a real MMA artist can do to a big powerful raging bull.

Shields vs Kampmann, i blame Kampmann, no idea what the hell he was trying to do in round 3, he should of kept distance and finish him off, Shields was too tired to move let alone counter.

Not much to mention about the other fights, Diego impressed me, he was looking really bad in his last couple of fights, good to see him back to his best, also Gozago, no idea what he was doing in his fight, boxing was clearly not working, leg kicks were, so what do you do for 3 rounds?......................box obviously :suicide_anim:

it's quite impressive to know what the dude is gonna do and still be unable to do anything to stop him.

Emm, nope, at least for round 3 that was not the case, the only reason he survived the fight was because Kampmann decided to submit him, which is really dumb considering that is Shields main strength

love him or hate him you have to RESPECT shields. he's as 1 dimensional as they come but has still racked up 15 straight wins and WILL be fighting the winner of kos/gsp. it's quite impressive to know what the dude is gonna do and still be unable to do anything to stop him.

despite being mega gassed he still tooled kampmann on the floor. heres my neck, take it, try and choke me and watch how i sweep your ass.

with all that being said, i saw a video of jake shields online, "jake shields highlights"...i lol'd

That is true. How he wins all the time I have no idea.

Shields totally should do an ADCC Tournament...he'd crush everyone.

I have only seen the last 3 of Shield's fights, but it just seems amazing how easy he makes passing guard look.

:smile_anim:

thats why i sort of enjoy watching him...i do have a sort of man crush on him. when i see him pass to mount, i cum a lil bit...is that wrong?

Cain whooped Brock, I had a strange feeling during that fight, like it was unbelievable even though it wasn't, and I was always defending Cain's chances against Brock. Maybe I got caught up in the UFC's hype, 'the most dominant champion in UFC history' with 2 title defenses.

I thought Shields' fight was quite entertaining since it was back and forth, a little disappointed with Kampmann, although he nearly had some of those chokes locked in. Shields could actually be a threat to the WW title since he knows how to win, and he _might_ find a way to get GSP / Kos to the ground after taking some shots on the feet and chasing the takedown for 10 minutes.

Cain whooped Brock, I had a strange feeling during that fight, like it was unbelievable even though it wasn't, and I was always defending Cain's chances against Brock. Maybe I got caught up in the UFC's hype, 'the most dominant champion in UFC history' with 2 title defenses.

I thought Shields' fight was quite entertaining since it was back and forth, a little disappointed with Kampmann, although he nearly had some of those chokes locked in. Shields could actually be a threat to the WW title since he knows how to win, and he _might_ find a way to get GSP / Kos to the ground after taking some shots on the feet and chasing the takedown for 10 minutes.

lol shields put his neck out so kampmann will try the choke lol. Kampmann best sub is the gulliotine. shields made him look bad. shields also was never in trouble