Massive shock

ClarkKent

My def grappling and subs are both close to elite, But my physicals are shit. I spent so much time working on the Red belt i never got the chance to bring those up, Plus this fighter has always done dumb things in the course of a fight, So nothing shocks me with him. He is about 3 fights away from being a full time dummy :weeping: .

Hey man, bad luck. I was as surprised as anyone, not to mention a little gutted to see the only red belt I've managed to sign get upset (no offence to Theliel or his manager Victor, was just thrilled to sign a red). Even more gutted to hear that he may be relegated to sparring duty... :weeping:

Still, fair play to you for taking it so well, mate, top man.

In fairness to Theliel, though, he has already secured a win over Anton Wasa who now holds the WW belt after upsetting the formidable and destructive Kane Yamada by grappling his ass off. So, the kid is no pushover on the ground.

How dare you not own an Xbox!

This is blasphemy! Strike down the unbeliever!

Only fools and the mentally handicapped do not own these glorious systems!

i prefer not to own stuff with a 30% fail rating

Big screen high def tv is your friend and makes a huge difference with the much better console; The PS3.

On the topic; it's come up before about red belts being disrespectful and a joke or whatever but it's just a level of hierarchy so it's not the be all and end all, as others have also suggested; This is MMA not grappling tycoon you still need a well rounded fighter, just because you have a red belt that doesn't neccesarily make you unbeatable on the ground either.

i think the top P4P list is all sprawl n brawl cause most of them have close to Elite or Elite TD defense and high wrestling and are near impossible to take down.....idk maybe make TD's a little more prominent and as most have said a little better in regards to being able to keep in on the ground cause most top guys also have very high D Grappling so its no walk in the park when/if you ever get it there so it's not right that it gets stood up cause you miss three punches. on another note I put more into secondaries than Primaries anymore so Red Belt doesn't mean as much other than the fact he probably trained nothing else but BJJ sparring depending on his age.

There is a lot of truth to this. Its also worth remembering that a red belt (10th degree) doesn't exist anymore (as far as I know), they have all died.
Redbelt can be used to mean 9th as well as tenth degree, there are still a few 9th degree folks around.

I believe in the next few years as BJJ becomes westernized there will be fundamental changes which will see degrees of black belt mean a great deal more than they do now. Right now it really is not uncommon to see a first beat a 5th just because they are much younger.
Can you expand on this a bit? In my experience the "westernization" (although I'm not sure if this applies to BJJ) of martial arts tends to lead to more dilution of the black belt, not less.

i prefer not to own stuff with a 30% fail rating

Take care of it and it won't break.

I've had mine since it came out in 2005. Besides, it gets the job done. I don't have the time to tweak with all that computer stuff, graphics cards, and all that. I'd rather just buy the system and beat my friends at Madden and NHL every once in a while.

Anyways, the pure red belts are all dead. I think only the kids (9th degree red/black) are left.

I agree 100%. What is the point in red if you have so many of them? It's becoming a regular thing now.

Can I beat my own dead horse and say again, we need to remove the skill caps or make training harder or add more levels so going the insane extra mile for that top ranking becomes an achievement, as opposed to logjam after a common regiment that too many people do.

Can I beat my own dead horse and say again, we need to remove the skill caps or make training harder or add more levels so going the insane extra mile for that top ranking becomes an achievement, as opposed to logjam after a common regiment that too many people do.

This is like the only dead horse you have still worth beating. Let me know if you get tired and we can take turns.

Soft Caps on Skills ftw

Take care of it and it won't break.

I've had mine since it came out in 2005. Besides, it gets the job done. I don't have the time to tweak with all that computer stuff, graphics cards, and all that. I'd rather just buy the system and beat my friends at Madden and NHL every once in a while.

Anyways, the pure red belts are all dead. I think only the kids (9th degree red/black) are left.

yea i own a ps3 :P

was into pc gaming a while back but the cost...dammit, the cost.

still play the football manager series...fucking life sink that

Red belts in real life aren't too big a deal. They are basically the old Gracie family members doing their best to stay at the head of the style. Though most of the red belts are indeed old by now, I'm sure the top BJJ guys today (Roger Gracie, Jacare, Garcia) could beat the red belts in their prime. Its just a status thing, that's all. In real life, the skill levels between many black belts are crazy, just look at the recent Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda fight...Maia was on an entirely different level, and their belts were like a degree apart. Once you get to black belt, rank means nothin'.

BJJ is still a very new martial art, compared to others. I have little doubt that guys like Roger Gracie or Jacare would beat the current red belts in their prime. BJJ is still evolving; I don't think there's any question of that.

I disagree with what you say about red belts not being too big of a deal, though. I study jiu-jitsu under Flavio Behring's umbrella of schools, and have had the privilege of training with him several times. These guys are old, but they continue to learn, too. Their bodies no longer work like they used to, but their library of knowledge is immense. My instructor is a black belt who has won the U.S. Open 5 or 6 times at various belt levels, but Master Flavio tightens up his game every time he visits. The same is true of other black belts under his wing (I've been to to training seminars where multiple schools have attended). When Rickson Gracie's children were younger, he sent them to train under Flavio Behring. I think that having a red belt is more than a status thing.

BJJ is still a very new martial art, compared to others. I have little doubt that guys like Roger Gracie or Jacare would beat the current red belts in their prime. BJJ is still evolving; I don't think there's any question of that.

I disagree with what you say about red belts not being too big of a deal, though. I study jiu-jitsu under Flavio Behring's umbrella of schools, and have had the privilege of training with him several times. These guys are old, but they continue to learn, too. Their bodies no longer work like they used to, but their library of knowledge is immense. My instructor is a black belt who has won the U.S. Open 5 or 6 times at various belt levels, but Master Flavio tightens up his game every time he visits. The same is true of other black belts under his wing (I've been to to training seminars where multiple schools have attended). When Rickson Gracie's children were younger, he sent them to train under Flavio Behring. I think that having a red belt is more than a status thing.

Its totally status. Well, maybe not totally.

The Gracie Family has a monopoly on the black/red belts. I think by now, Red belt pretty much lets everyone know that you've trained under (or are) the top ranking Gracie's who are still alive. While they can't compete on a higher level than some black belts, they can still teach others. In relation to competition, being a red belt doesn't matter...however, in the landscape of BJJ, it does indeed matter, as they are the leaders.

if you wanna know why i take offense to this is b/c my bjj master is a 9th degree red belt and it took him 50 or something fucking years.

Then you should understand that subbing a 70 year old man isn't that hard in an MMA fight.

Red belts in real life aren't too big a deal. They are basically the old Gracie family members doing their best to stay at the head of the style.

wat

wat

We were talking about red belts and how they pertain to skill level. In real life, they are reserved for the most experienced members of BJJ, usually members of the Gracie family because they founded it.

However, just because they are the most experienced and high-ranking, they are not necessarily the best practitioners skill-wise.

Its totally status. Well, maybe not totally.

The Gracie Family has a monopoly on the black/red belts. I think by now, Red belt pretty much lets everyone know that you've trained under (or are) the top ranking Gracie's who are still alive. While they can't compete on a higher level than some black belts, they can still teach others. In relation to competition, being a red belt doesn't matter...however, in the landscape of BJJ, it does indeed matter, as they are the leaders.

All you would have to do is use the googles before posting and you wouldn't waste time talking about something you don't know.

All you would have to do is use the googles before posting and you wouldn't waste time talking about something you don't know.

make your point if you have one instead of faffing about. jeez

make your point if you have one instead of faffing about. jeez

:thumbup:

:nerdrage:

I'll state it in a way you'll understand.

Reyson Gracie (In his Prime) (9th Degree Red Belt) vs. Roger Gracie (2nd Degree Black Belt).

Roger would probably win 9 out of 10 times. Its a rank, not necessarily a representation of your overall skill.

Just to add to belts not always indicating skill level.... Randy Couture earned his black belt by submitting James Toney!! Now Couture is a decent grappler, albeit more wrestling based but I don't think that just because you can submit James Toney suddenly means, 'Yep he's earned his black belt now if he can submit that guy!' It was more for his service and long term dedication to grappling.

Red belts in real life aren't too big a deal. They are basically the old Gracie family members doing their best to stay at the head of the style. Though most of the red belts are indeed old by now, I'm sure the top BJJ guys today (Roger Gracie, Jacare, Garcia) could beat the red belts in their prime. Its just a status thing, that's all. In real life, the skill levels between many black belts are crazy, just look at the recent Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda fight...Maia was on an entirely different level, and their belts were like a degree apart. Once you get to black belt, rank means nothin'.

For the game it makes sense, as its just a representation of the skill level, 0-150. Makes sense to me.

I do believe the ground game should be tweaked a bit though. Though I'm not sure if it would be realistic or not. I'd want it tweaked just for those guys that love the ground game in real life, and submissions and the like. However, to become great in this game its recommended to be Sprawl n' Brawl. The pound for pound list speaks for itself. They do have submission wins, but when the top guys face off, its usually a stand-up battle.

To me Belts mean nothing a lot of people are black belts and some are shit but some are really good it depends on your master how you train who you train with and and you cause you could be a black belt under Kombat arts Bjj master but you go to The Machado Brothers and he considers you a white belt or blue belt. I have been training BJJ for 13 years and i am only a purple belt under Mark bocek and Jeff Joslin and I also went to brazil for the last year to train at nova uniao Gym in Brazil to train with Waggney Fabiano, Vitor Ribeiro, Thales Leites, Marlon Sandro, Jussie Formiga, and Jose Aldo Jr so it just depends from person to person so belt dosent show how good you are but just shows what your master ranks you. also BJJ guys in MMA and Pure BJJ guys are on 2 diffrent levels you cant watch a MMA fight and use the to jugue someones BJJ skills not to say That The guys you named arent good in fact there amazing but awnser this Frank mir 8 out of 10 times would beat roy nelson in a mma fight 3 of those time he probaly submited he but in There BJJ match most would say differently since roy nelson won. So to me belt matters from situatin to situation.

Just to add to belts not always indicating skill level.... Randy Couture earned his black belt by submitting James Toney!! Now Couture is a decent grappler, albeit more wrestling based but I don't think that just because you can submit James Toney suddenly means, 'Yep he's earned his black belt now if he can submit that guy!' It was more for his service and long term dedication to grappling.

he drawed with jacare in grappling

To me Belts mean nothing a lot of people are black belts and some are shit but some are really good it depends on your master how you train who you train with and and you cause you could be a black belt under Kombat arts Bjj master but you go to The Machado Brothers and he considers you a white belt or blue belt. I have been training BJJ for 13 years and i am only a purple belt under Mark bocek and Jeff Joslin and I also went to brazil for the last year to train at nova uniao Gym in Brazil to train with Waggney Fabiano, Vitor Ribeiro, Thales Leites, Marlon Sandro, Jussie Formiga, and Jose Aldo Jr so it just depends from person to person so belt dosent show how good you are but just shows what your master ranks you. also BJJ guys in MMA and Pure BJJ guys are on 2 diffrent levels you cant watch a MMA fight and use the to jugue someones BJJ skills not to say That The guys you named arent good in fact there amazing but awnser this Frank mir 8 out of 10 times would beat roy nelson in a mma fight 3 of those time he probaly submited he but in There BJJ match most would say differently since roy nelson won. So to me belt matters from situatin to situation.

You trained with Thales Leites, Shaolin Ribiero, and Jose Aldo?

:bigshock: