World of Mixed Martial Arts - Game

Chris2K

Don't know how many of you guys are already aware of the MMA sim series World of Mixed Martial Arts by Grey Dog Software but they released the third installment of the game on Saturday and it's a fantastic game. It's a bit like Championship Manager but with MMA, here's a screenshot...

http://www.411mania.com/game_article_pictures/14716.jpg

Basic premise is that you run an MMA company by booking the fights, signing new talent, working out TV/PPV deals etc. in order to make it the top company in the world. The game comes with a pre-existing fictional database which is actually just as much fun to play as the real one. A database has been released today that starts in 1993 with real world fighters, allowing you to play through the MMA world from the early UFC tournaments onwards.

You can download the game from here:

http://www.greydogsoftware.com

The 1993 mod from here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZVDXFLU1

some real world pictures here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NNVTV8PJ

and here's a review which does a much better job of explaining things than I do:

http://www.411mania.com/games/reviews/1656...C%29-Review.htm

Anyone else here play it?

Isn't it one you have to pay for?

On a side note I can't believe Adam Ryland is still making sims. I remember waaaay waaaay long ago when EW wrestling sim was out. I used to do the writing for the rival sim; Promtion Wars.

I still play wmma2, but with the modern warriors 8 database and extensive editting on my part haha. Is the 3rd much of an improvement? And is it worth $30 when ur fairly content with the current one?

I still play wmma2, but with the modern warriors 8 database and extensive editting on my part haha. Is the 3rd much of an improvement? And is it worth $30 when ur fairly content with the current one?

It is, I have it and I love it. The updates imo are super, and make it even better.

As someone with a lot of experience with GDS's games, WMMA3 is WMMA2 but better in every way. A lot of the tedious things are no longer tedious and everything's more fleshed out and human feeling. Better fight engine, easier, more realistic negotiations, you can actually run tourneys now as they count as one match for the fighter, and the scouting and shit from TEW.

Guys age/deteriorate more naturally now, and someone good at everything can now very much lose :). You also won't see all of the guy's skills from the start and they only become visible as they fight.

Basically, more realistic/streamlined. If you enjoy WMMA2 and are on the fence......get this game.

Wow, totally addicted to this game, can't believe I never played the earlier versions. I remember downloading the demo of WMMA2, setting up an event and the demo expiring before the event even took place and didn't take a punt on paying for it.

Decided to give this a go and installed the 1993 mod and I've been totally addicted, I'm now in 2005. Maybe it's just because of the 93 mod that I'm addicted but it's great fun trying to rewrite history and seeing all the stars come through.

I think I even shot myself in the foot at the start. Having never played it before I wasn't sure how the game would start. (In hindsight I could have started a game before delving into the editor) So I made my own promotion copying all of the starting attributes of the UFC thinking I could try and beat them to the top and compete against them. Little did I know I could have just started as the UFC anyway and have had the much needed bonus of a PPV deal in place which was seemingly impossible for me. After I'd played a few weeks of the game though and signed Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock back in 1993 I was too addicted to start again.

The week that I finally got my PPV deal after my 30th event was just when my bank balance was down to zero so I just survived and then it was seemingly straight forward once the PPV deal was in place.

The fog of war is brilliant (I don't know what it would have been like without it.) You build a guy up slowly giving him winnable fights only to find out when he's 10-0 that he he no chin despite his superior striking abilities and therefore was a complete waste of time!!

It's gutting when you're picking all of these fights trying to build stars and hype then some underdog has bigger ideas! There I was building up Fedor who was now 14-0 and about 28 years old in his prime now and primed for a title shot meanwhile building up a few other guys who Fedor could then beat to maintain his hype. One of which was Dan Severn, one of my early stars who had been feeding on useless cans for a long time to maintain his hype even though his attributes suggested he may die should he fight some real competion. So let's just say I was quite shocked when Dan Severn at 49 destroyed a helpless Fedor with all of his attributes now visibly in the 90's. Oh well life goes on, Dan Severn is now 52 years old and still feeding on cans, Fedor did get the win back though recently.

I had another guy who was a generated guy that I built up to 10-0 or so who looked almost like a Fedor and in his attributes that were revealed they were all pretty high somewhere in the 90's for the majority. But then up stepped Don Frye who had obviously been annoyed at my hand picked opponents who decided to knock him out in the first round revealing his glass chin and practically zero resiliency. So I basically wasted a few game years building up a monster who is great until someone dears to hit him back after which he'll just collapse. Now all of his attributes are visible his chin and resiliency are in the 20's.

I did give myself one little advantage when I started out though, I created a new guy, Dirk Copeland and signed him up on a 12 fight contract using the editor. Of course the guy was a monster, I think the lowest attribute I gave him was 85, in all honesty 90% of them were 90 or above. He tore up everyone in sight for a while, without fear of anyone ever taking him down. He fought those 12 fights winning them all in the first round, but then a minor hiccup occured as his hype outgrew me and he wouldn't even consider negotiating a contract. The only positive was that I was the most hyped company around so he wasn't going anywhere. 6 year later I was seemingly worthy of him again when he decided to sign a new deal. Now it's 2005 and he's 19-0, showing signs of weakness though at 29 so he may be on the decline, he won his last fight by unaminous decision, the only time he's not won in the first round.

All in all a whole lot of fun, was great starting out and reliving the Gracie/Shamrock rivalry, starting with open weight classes and slowly seperating them out until I've settled on the more traditional ones and then seeing the like of Frye, Severn, Coleman, Hughes come along and then slowly the next era and the next era. Ortiz was dominant for a while and then quite true to life was a pain in the ass and also sat out of action for a while when he felt he was too big for the company. Couture dominated the heavyweight division in the abscense of Copeland and is still around the top now that Fedor has emerged and Copeland is back among a few others. The Liddell era almost never happened! His career hit a major road block when he got submitted early in his career but eventually took the title at aged 32. Now he's 34 or so and has defended it a few times but the likes of Machida, Rampage, Shogun, Belfort and co are all itching for a shot. BJ Penn is dominating the lightweight division much liike Sean Sherk before him. GSP got derailed but is ready for a title shot soon at the dominant Matt Serra. Royce Gracie settled into the middleweight division after I disolved my open weight class early on and more or less dominated it for years until Anderson Silva came along, at 38 though Gracie just won't go away and has just dethroned Silva and is at an impressive 27-4 now in his career despite facing top competion all the time. Of course at one point he was dethroned before Silva came along, by no other than Sakuraba.

So now it's time to carry on when I think I'm about to become even more addicted as I'm creeping up on the present day and all of the current stars are starting to emerge as contenders or start their career. I'm going to be keeping Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock around for as long as possible mainly because it's bloody good fun making them fight cans and then legitamately main eventing ppv's long after they should be retired. Don Frye has already demanded Brock Lesnar in his debut when he comes about. I've now just reached Low Level Internatonal status and have PPV links in 4 or 5 countries so now it's time to to international with the events.

You can probably tell by the essay that I've grown pretty addicted to the game :)

By the way a couple of questions for anyone else who plays the game and knows what they are doing.

1. How many events should you put on PPV's? I've pretty much gone for 20 events every time now I have a big roster and just making most of them prelims if they don't have hype.

2. How big a roster is too big, my 5 main rosters have 55-75 guys in now. It's getting pretty hard to keep track of some of them, just found one guy who looked great but was now 29 and 1-0 and hadn't fought for 6 years haha. I must have resigned his contract 2 or 3 times without even paying attention to him. My female roster isn't too bad though, only 2 girls in there at the moment :) They're the only 2 that exist in the game haha

3. Does it matter if fighters make weight or not or is it more or less just flavour text, other than the title not being on the line if they miss weight? (Thanks for that Sean Sherk!) I only ask as I have a guy who's now a High Level International star despite never making weight once in my heavyweight division. (I dissolved my Super Hevyweight division, Teila Tuli was running out of opponents to eat.)

I was actually in the game in WMMA2 (Grant Capelli, my user on the GDS forums is Capelli King). The new version for me is a dissapointment. I was hoping for a much larger database and a lot less tedious negotiation section, instead he spent a lot of time on the fight module which i barely look at.

If you like a booking game then i guess this is worth looking at, the best one on the market in my opinion for that genre, the price is somewhat steep for an indy game, all depends how much you like such type of games (and how much cash you have)

His Wrestling game TEW is better though if you like wrestling, not too easy to get into and it is mainly for the hardcore base.

It's getting pretty hard to keep track of some of them, just found one guy who looked great but was now 29 and 1-0 and hadn't fought for 6 years haha. I must have resigned his contract 2 or 3 times without even paying attention to him.

That's awesome lmfao, I read the whole thing it was interesting. Wish I could afford it though.

Anyone not play it anymore that I can borrow it off them for a wee bit :notworthy: ( #1 or #2 )

I'll owe you one

That's awesome lmfao, I read the whole thing it was interesting. Wish I could afford it though.

Anyone not play it anymore that I can borrow it off them for a wee bit :notworthy: ( #1 or #2 )

I'll owe you one

You can't, the anti piracy protection ties the copy to one computer.

A friend of mine is going to try to crack it, hes really good with computers, however hes a way right now so it will be a week or two. If he does suceed, (which i prayyy forrr) maybe i can get it to you guys.

No offense, but that is a stupid idea, this is a small indie game and if you spread a crack around the internet it could very easily destroy a lot of indie games using that piracy protection software.

played the WMMA2 demo a year or so ago. just couldn't get into it then. duno why. been playing WMMA3 over the holidays and up to now. started with the demo then copied my saved game when i bought it. im using the default db. its pretty awesome. just gotten into my 4th year. currently low level international. have most of the top stars. the game is bloody addictive.

i also used the dawn of mma mod. gone up to ufc 5. i would check wikipedia to see the fights and brackets and try to recreate em as realistically as possible. of course royce has owned all...

I played the hell out of Wmma 1 and 2 but once I really got into Tycoon I quit playing. I could never figure out how to load up the real life names but I really have no computer skills.