UFC 129: St-Pierre vs Shields

felagund

I mainly wanted to share the awesome video ufc made for 129:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvpdWpqQw4&

This got me really stoked for 129.

So, who you got? I'm pulling for Shields.

nice video post. pretty awesome.

As much as I don't like shields. I must say he is going to be a problem and I feel he might steal this one and get the belt. he has a solid wrestling background so you can see his stats don't lie. Might be looking at a new champion. GSP days are numbered.

nice video post. pretty awesome.

As much as I don't like shields. I must say he is going to be a problem and I feel he might steal this one and get the belt. he has a solid wrestling background so you can see his stats don't lie. Might be looking at a new champion. GSP days are numbered.

Why are his days numbered?

I think GSP win but my stomach tells me Shields will win some how because GSP vs Silva will not happen. Therefore GSP must lose.

If your stomach is speaking it's best to run to the pot. GSP wins because of better striking.

• 2 weeks later...

The video fails to mention how Jake Shields has almost no striking ability whatsoever.

That, coupled with St-Pierre's fantastic takedowns and takedown defense, it may be a long fight for Shields.

I think GSP has people thinking he's unbeatable at this point, and I think Jake Shields is just the person to back GSP into a corner. Standing up, obviously GSP, on the ground.... it's really a toss up. I mean Kampmann has amazing stand up as well, and Jake still took it to the ground and edge a victory, although, I didn't agree with it.

"Jake Shields hasn't lost in six years, but he hasn't fought me" man, GSP is finally getting used to this trash talk thing...even if he does do it in a mild mannered kind of way...in broken english...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing some writeups/predictions of the fights from my perspective on another site i'm on.

Main Event : Georges "Rush" St-Pierre vs Jake Shields

On paper, this looks like easy pickings for GSP. GSP has handled strong wrestlers like Jon Fitch with the greatest of ease, and has already faced guys with similar BJJ skills. BJ Penn comes to mind. Most would say GSP wins here via stuffing all takedowns and working a jab for five rounds, winning via doctor's stoppage or a strong unanimous decision.

I agree. However, one thing I believe people are not considering in this situation is that GSP hasn't faced a strong submission threat like Shields in some time. Jake Shields has one of the best guillotines in the sport, and has shown to be VERY impressive against big (Bigger than GSP), strong wrestlers. He recently came off of a very impressive performance over Dangerous Dan Hendo Hollywood Henderson, main of a hundred nicknames, and survived a powerful kickboxer in Robbie Lawler. In addition, Jake Shields holds victories over other names like Yushin Okami and Carlos Condit, and even submitted the notoriously hard to finish Mike Pyle.

However good this resume may be, however, Georges St-Pierre is not simply a good fighter. Georges-St Pierre is the most complete fighter in the game, and scarily enough, the man isn't even thirty yet. This is not his peak. If Shields wins, he wins because GSP attempts to manhandle him the same way he did Penn, and Shields sinks in a signature guillotine. But GSP also has Greg Jackson, arguably the best trainer in MMA, in his corner, and he's never been one to take risks since his loss to Matt Serra. Jake Shields will be punched in the face for five rounds, and hopefully we'll see the Superfight happen.

GSP, Unanimous Decision.

Co-Main Event : Jose Aldo vs Mark Hominick

Jose Aldo is the very paragon of the Brazilian Chute Boxe camp, style wise. The former Black House prospect spends his days with Nova União, renown for their prowess at the human chess match that is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. In addition, he's a very brutal and explosive Muay Thai kickboxer, with 12 of his 19 victories coming by way of knockout, with a style very reminiscent of an in-his-prime Mauricio Rua. Jose Aldo is currently an unsolvable puzzle for the Featherweight division, even demolishing wrestler Urijah Faber with nasty leg kicks. Don't believe me? Google "Urijah Faber's Leg". That is not a parasitic infection. That is a human leg, and that's the kind of shit this man can do to people who try and take him down.

On the other end of things, we have challenger Mark Hominick. Hominic trains with the Canadian branch of Adrenaline MMA, an excellent striking camp in which he fits well. He's finished just as many of his fights as Aldo, and has a very passable ground game. His notable losses come from former champion Mike Thomas Brown, and Japanese Featherweight sensation Hatsu Hioki. He's currently coming off of an impressive TKO victory over George Roop, and, MORE impressively, he won a split decision victory over Leonard Garcia, something touted by many to be close to impossible.

But is it good enough to beat Jose Aldo? In my opinion. no. Hominick's likely the best competition Aldo has currently in the UFC, but Aldo's ferocity and high level proficiency with his disciplines of choice are going to bring his title dreams to a grinding halt. Expect the first round to be an elaborate feeling out process for Aldo, and expect it to end in round two with a nasty flurry of kicks and knees.

Jose Aldo, TKO, Round 2.

Likely will get to the main card in it's entirety day by day until the PPV happens.

My gut and my heart say GSP but I'm not as sure as I'd like to be.

In his interview on inside MMA GSP said that Shields will be his toughest opponent and that Shields would have probably won against every challenger GSP has had since he took the title. I don't want to get into too much mmatycoon stuff since this is real life - but I think that GSP will be looking for accuracy over power in his stiking and we aren't likely to see a KO in the first few rounds for sure. Anything can happen in the championship rounds especially if it involve people getting gassed or cut open by cumulative damage but for whatever reason I think that GSP is going to take this fight in the second round by striking that starts with a massive knee either counter to takedown or in the clinch.

quick edit: Aldo wins easily.

I have this unshakable feeling that Shields is gonna sub him mid-scramble. My head and heart says GSP though!

You know, the thing that causes me doubt about GSP winning is his penchant for trying to beat his opponents at their own game.

Shields, as you say, has the ability to capitalise on any Fedor-esque lapses, should there be any.

My picks before the fight

GSP vs Shields - I see Shields simply surviving long enough to catch a submission in a fight that will hopefully shake GSP out of his current malaise. I still see GSP as the better overall fighter but this may well be the start of another trilogy.

Aldo vs Hominick - I simply don't buy into the Hominick bandwagon. I think Aldo is the better striker and the better grappler and can see this ending late in round 1 or early in round 2.

Machida vs Couture - Machida by first round TKO. Age the deciding factor more than anything else with Machida being able to cause damage at will in a sad finale for a great fighter.

Henderson vs Bocek - As good as Henderson has been in WEC you never know how the talent will match up with Bocek looking like a beast in his last win over Hazelett. Can see Bocek pulling of the third round sub here.

Matyushenko vs Brillz - Brillz troubled little Nog in an inspired performance but that seemed like a once in a life time deal to me. Matyushenko TKO round 2.

MacDonald vs Diaz - Diaz will be too good on the feet and should have a quick payday.

My picks before the fight

GSP vs Shields - I see Shields simply surviving long enough to catch a submission in a fight that will hopefully shake GSP out of his current malaise. I still see GSP as the better overall fighter but this may well be the start of another trilogy.

Aldo vs Hominick - I simply don't buy into the Hominick bandwagon. I think Aldo is the better striker and the better grappler and can see this ending late in round 1 or early in round 2.

Machida vs Couture - Machida by first round TKO. Age the deciding factor more than anything else with Machida being able to cause damage at will in a sad finale for a great fighter.

Henderson vs Bocek - As good as Henderson has been in WEC you never know how the talent will match up with Bocek looking like a beast in his last win over Hazelett. Can see Bocek pulling of the third round sub here.

Matyushenko vs Brillz - Brillz troubled little Nog in an inspired performance but that seemed like a once in a life time deal to me. Matyushenko TKO round 2.

MacDonald vs Diaz - Diaz will be too good on the feet and should have a quick payday.

Other than Aldo, I have the exact opposite of you. Brillz is a little close for me, though so I can easily see myself being wrong on that one.

You know, the thing that causes me doubt about GSP winning is his penchant for trying to beat his opponents at their own game.

Shields, as you say, has the ability to capitalise on any Fedor-esque lapses, should there be any.

Isn't that the opposite of what GSP does?