TUF 13 Discussion

I would have to go with Shamar Bailey or Mick Bowman. I've always gotta go for the Indiana boys and I would really like to see another U.K. fighter do well in UFC.

You can see Brock inexperience IMO in picking the fighter over the fight. Outside the fact he isnt a good judge of MMA talent from the looks. He could have at least had a chance to pick a favorable fight. Styles make fights. Even the best fighter can get a bad match up and he seems to not be aware of this concept. The problem with picking the first fighter is if you dont know who is best then you didnt talent or control. Then you risk playing catch up when they pick you off one at a time. I would take possible 2nd best fighter and fight control over possible best fighter any day.

It would be interesting to see over the years how successful the #1 pick has been. I dont remember it ever being meaningful let alone a sure thing.

*edit

After looking back it seems only 4 have won TUF after being the first pick by their coach. Not sure if they were first pick over all. With 12 seasons in the book and many of them having 2 weight class'. Out of 20 or so winners thats not very good odds.

judging by the first winner it looks like this season may be again packed with plenty of guys who have no cardio. I'm hoping I'm wrong because tired fighters make for boring fights

It's probably too early to say whether or not the coaches made the right decisions as far as fighters go.

I'm glad a lot of the fighters on Brocks team respect his mma career instead of rediculing his pro-wrestling career. On the other hand I'm sure the pro-wrestling jokes will be funny. I.e don't piss Brock off or he'll grab a steel chair.

I turned the show off after realizing Myles got hurt.

The one guy that's supposed to be beast. Awesome start to the season. It totally killed my interest. :sad01_anim:

Not a bad start to the season. Shamar looks like a better version of Michael Johnson from last season. Sucks that Myles went down already, I was looking forward to seeing what he can do. Once again, guys from overseas have no wrestling.

I can't really say that it was a cardio issue. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't be tired in that situation. Bailey seemed to be the better wrestler and he maintained control.

Sweaty man-hugging is exactly why I watch MMA. Bravo!

I enjoy watching JDS and Brock, and they both come across as knowledgable and bright so far. I hope they stay interested in the fighters.

Looked like he was breaking the guy towards the end, another round and maybe he could have gotten the finish. Pity JDS isn't quite good enough at english to feel comfortable with it. Brock seems to do decent so far.

i wish they still had to fight to get into the house. that always made for a great first two episodes of a season, and instead we got a relatively tame/boring first episode for this season.

i also liked it because i knew who to cheer for & who not to. Can't wait tell next episode one fighters wants to go home, not taking no for an answer, hopefully he does :)

i wish they still had to fight to get into the house. that always made for a great first two episodes of a season, and instead we got a relatively tame/boring first episode for this season.

this

I was like, um, is there a second ep out already? That was a very lame 1st ep

i also liked it because i knew who to cheer for & who not to. Can't wait tell next episode one fighters wants to go home, not taking no for an answer, hopefully he does :)

yeah, as it stands i have no idea what fighter is good at what, or what their styles are. because of this, i don't really give a shit about any of the fighters, and i don't really feel negative about any of the fighters either. it didn't draw me in at all.

(i never watch the "next time on", or "in this episode of" stuff at the beginning or end of a show, because the spoilers just ruin stuff :()

Well not too much can be learnt from the first show I guess, the fight wasn't great but then it's a guy with a huge wrestling advantage taking on a striker so you have to expect it really, he certainly had no trouble getting him down so I'd expect him to be a tough fight for most.

Not really much to make of Lesnar, hard to judge the picks as I don't know much about many of the fighters. Like Brainsmasher said if it were me I'd be inclinded to pick the first matchup first but to be fair from memory the majority seem to go with first pick.

JDS seems pretty shy, or at least very uncomfortable with his english. He was speaking to his coaches about how he can't speak to guys up close like Brock can because of the language barrier but to be honest I found JDS's english fine and could understand everthing he said. For sure he has an accent and it may not be quite 100% but it's more than enough to get his messages across and be able to talk to guys.

Hopefully next week's show will be better, wasn't the most exciting show by far. As misterx said I wish they'd made them fight to get into the house again. I think it's a great show opener doing a double episode and letting you see every fighter in the house briefly first. Gives you more of a reason to get interested in a few guys and tune in every week.

it amazes me how stupid some people are. that dude leaves the show to go be with his daughter? seriously? unless she has some life threatening illness or something, that's just retarded, but he made no mention of anything like that.

so he throws away the opportunity of a lifetime just because he's homesick. jesus.

I have got home sickness twice in my life. Once when I was 11 and the other when I was 22. At 11 I was away for 2 weeks, and at 22 I was away for almost 2 years. Odd part was the first time, I was away from home a lot longer than that before. I never really thought of it as a real thing, until the second time. I just couldn't function at all. Found it hard to get out of bed and would vomit everything I ate.

I have got home sickness twice in my life. Once when I was 11 and the other when I was 22. At 11 I was away for 2 weeks, and at 22 I was away for almost 2 years. Odd part was the first time, I was away from home a lot longer than that before. I never really thought of it as a real thing, until the second time. I just couldn't function at all. Found it hard to get out of bed and would vomit everything I ate.

i know it's a real thing, but it's just a mental obstacle (like many others) that a professional athelete should be able to overcome.

i've gotten a bit homesick before, when i went traveling abroad by myself for about 6 months when i was 20-21, but i just don't understand the mentality of being willing to throw away a huge opportunity over something like that. i'm also not a parent, which is certainly a different dynamic to account for, but how can he not recognize how big of a mistake leaving the competition would be?