TUF 13 Discussion

it amazes me how stupid some people are. that dude leaves the show to go be with his daughter? seriously? unless she has some life threatening illness or something, that's just retarded, but he made no mention of anything like that.

so he throws away the opportunity of a lifetime just because he's homesick. jesus.

i was telling my girlfriend that while watching it last night...the whole point of being there is to advance your career as a fighter, which in turn, will put more food on the table for your family. the UFC is no doubt the major leagues of MMA and chances like this do not come around very often (especially having to make the cut for the show already). i woulda thought that if his daughter was sick, they woulda played that angle up (unless he pissed someone off and they edited that way to make him look bad). by him going home to want to see his daughter, he showed selfishness because if he really put his family first, he woulda stayed.

I have got home sickness twice in my life. Once when I was 11 and the other when I was 22. At 11 I was away for 2 weeks, and at 22 I was away for almost 2 years. Odd part was the first time, I was away from home a lot longer than that before. I never really thought of it as a real thing, until the second time. I just couldn't function at all. Found it hard to get out of bed and would vomit everything I ate.

ive never been homesick like that, but were your situations in regards to the chance of a lifetime for your career? if so, maybe you would have fought through it. by Keon leaving, people will remember that for a long time (kinda like that french guy, Norman Parisi or whatever, that refused to come off his stool on the other season even though he wasnt hurt).

Was glad to see the fighter that initiated most of the clinch attempts get it turned around on him and lose the fight. He did almost nothing with them outside of holding the guy against the cage hoping to get an easy decision.

it amazes me how stupid some people are. that dude leaves the show to go be with his daughter? seriously? unless she has some life threatening illness or something, that's just retarded, but he made no mention of anything like that.

so he throws away the opportunity of a lifetime just because he's homesick. jesus.

I think he made the best decision posible, if he wanted to see his daughter he wouldn't be thinking clearly and would get knocked around for that.

I think I lucked out in not having anything life changing going on. I just know the 2 months it took to get home once I got sick, I lost 25lbs. There were things I could do to keep my mind off of it, but working out was not one of them. The usual work out at the time was long distance running, so I guess that wasn't much help. Only thing I could do while doing that was think.

The guy who quit on the stool, wasn't he complaining about not being able to see? On TUF it does seem like a common theme to call people pussies without knowledge of what is going on. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong. I don't feel enough information is ever really given. Other than when they actually showed the results to Tito and then he apologized for his remarks.

I think I am biased though. I feel pretty much every show I have seen on spike is oriented towards macho tough guys.

EDIT: The one who said something about not seeing was Jamie Yager. At least that was all that I could find.

Also, why can't they make phone calls home? I will definitely not buy the excuse of trying to keep their heads straight.

I think he made the best decision posible, if he wanted to see his daughter he wouldn't be thinking clearly and would get knocked around for that.

meh, it showed a huge weakness in his determination, and it wouldn't surprise me if he never gets another shot with the ufc because of it. he didn't even have a fight yet. at least fight before you make a big decision like that.

I think I lucked out in not having anything life changing going on. I just know the 2 months it took to get home once I got sick, I lost 25lbs. There were things I could do to keep my mind off of it, but working out was not one of them. The usual work out at the time was long distance running, so I guess that wasn't much help. Only thing I could do while doing that was think.

The guy who quit on the stool, wasn't he complaining about not being able to see? On TUF it does seem like a common theme to call people pussies without knowledge of what is going on. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong. I don't feel enough information is ever really given. Other than when they actually showed the results to Tito and then he apologized for his remarks.

I think I am biased though. I feel pretty much every show I have seen on spike is oriented towards macho tough guys.

EDIT: The one who said something about not seeing was Jamie Yager. At least that was all that I could find.

Also, why can't they make phone calls home? I will definitely not buy the excuse of trying to keep their heads straight.

they don't want any info about the show leaked, i guess. even though they sign non-disclosure agreements i guess it's something that worries them. plus, not letting them communicate with the outside world, see any current media, etc, etc, just increases the chances of conflict in the house, which makes for good tv.

I will definitely buy that reason. A lot easier to not allow it rather than to take steps to moderate it. Which having someone listen to your conversations might be worse than not making any calls at all.

Norman Paraisy vs James Hammortree TUF 11...also Tito's season

http://www.fuckfrance.com/topic/3673796/1/FF-Pub/French-don-t-do-MMA-Embarrasses-country-on-Ultimate-Fighter.html

I'm sad that Jury had to go home. He has a great record and could be a real talent. I had enough TUF 13 already. Just more of the same old. Boring fights as in the last seasons and a boring cast as well. What also annoys me a lot is the really cool HARDCOOORE music to make everything sound more exciting than it is.

Do you guys think there is a disconnect on what chicken shit means? Like I think it means coward. And Lesnar seems to be using it like just the word shit.

I would understand Lesnar meaning shit, but I haven't seen anyone display being chicken shit. Maybe he is using it as a predeterminer. He calls them chicken shit, and there is no retaliation. Therefore, chicken shit was the proper term.

After looking up the word predeterminer, it definitely doesn't seem like that is the proper word.

Do you guys think there is a disconnect on what chicken shit means? Like I think it means coward. And Lesnar seems to be using it like just the word shit.

I would understand Lesnar meaning shit, but I haven't seen anyone display being chicken shit. Maybe he is using it as a predeterminer. He calls them chicken shit, and there is no retaliation. Therefore, chicken shit was the proper term.

After looking up the word predeterminer, it definitely doesn't seem like that is the proper word.

it depends on if it's being used as one word or two.

someone who is a "chickenshit" is a pansy/coward/etc.

"chicken shit" is excrement from a chicken.

the phrase "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit" is pretty common, at least in america, and just means that you can't make something great out of something awful. basically, he wasn't calling the guy a coward, he was calling him a shitty fighter in comparison to the guy he was set to fight. or, perhaps more specifically, he was saying it was a shitty situation because he was the underdog in the fight. so they made "chicken salad" (got the win) out of "chicken shit" (a bad matchup).

Finally got round to watching this. I agree with the comments that there hasn't been enough showing what the fighters can do - to noobs like me, it's better to see a bit more of each guy so you can watch intelligently, rather than having to rely on "he looks alright from the 30 seconds of rolling I've seen".

I've been hugely unimpressed with Brock's "motivation" techniques. Maybe I just don;t get it, but if I was in a bad matchup I'd want my head coach to be setting out how I'm going to take a win: work on X, that where your advantage is; do Y, he's weak there etc. Even if the "advantage" I have is only being slightly less shit than in other areas of my game.

What I *wouldn't* want to hear is Brock's chicken shit -> chicken salad/any given Sunday comments: to me, they essentially say "you're a much weaker fighter, and I don't think you have any real hope. Your only chance is to rely on good fortune". That was bad enough before the fight. To say after the fight that *everyone on the team* was chicken shit (as I seem to recall he did, I don't remember exactly), that is just silly.

I'd be pissed off if I'd just gone out, beaten a fancied fighter "on my given Sunday" and, instead of being told I fought excellently, nullified his attacks and proved I was a strong contender, get the "you are chicken shit. You rode your luck" motivation from Brock.

Yes, it was probably badly edited, yada yada. Maybe the "chicken shit" comments were directed to JDS's choice of his top picks vs. Brock's lower ones, who knows.

sadly i must disagree with your interpretation wallidismael, brock was just trying to fire up his fighters, sometimes in order to kick ass, you need someone to light a fire under you. that is what brock was trying to do, he was just trying to fire up his guys, and as far as his chicken shit comments i believe he was implying that none of his guys have proven to him (in person anyway), that they are deserving to be called something other than chicken shit. and as far as coaching is concerned, no one knows a fighters strengths better than the fighter himself, so the fighter should play to his strengths and since its early on in the show, (as far as the televised parts go), the coaches dont really know what the weaknesses of the other team's fighters are without actually going wand watching their previous fights, otherwise you only see what the fighter brings to the table on paper, from that you can guess what his strengths are but its just a guess. and in a fight, you dont want to be guessing, so personally if i was brock i would have done what he did (no im not a brock fan, i personally think his is an overrated behemoth). In conclusion, i am not saying your points are wrong wallidismael, only that i disagree with them, and i am no where near being the leading on this and i am only presenting my opinion.

• Upvote 1

sadly i must disagree with your interpretation wallidismael, brock was just trying to fire up his fighters, sometimes in order to kick ass, you need someone to light a fire under you. that is what brock was trying to do, he was just trying to fire up his guys, and as far as his chicken shit comments i believe he was implying that none of his guys have proven to him (in person anyway), that they are deserving to be called something other than chicken shit. and as far as coaching is concerned, no one knows a fighters strengths better than the fighter himself, so the fighter should play to his strengths and since its early on in the show, (as far as the televised parts go), the coaches dont really know what the weaknesses of the other team's fighters are without actually going wand watching their previous fights, otherwise you only see what the fighter brings to the table on paper, from that you can guess what his strengths are but its just a guess. and in a fight, you dont want to be guessing, so personally if i was brock i would have done what he did (no im not a brock fan, i personally think his is an overrated behemoth). In conclusion, i am not saying your points are wrong wallidismael, only that i disagree with them, and i am no where near being the leading on this and i am only presenting my opinion.

Hey no worries! It all comes down to personality I suppose - what fires one person up might piss another off, and vice versa. I agree that the coaches themselves probably didn't know too much about the fighters, something I didn't really consider when I wrote my post. Maybe Brock considered what he did the most suitable way to get his guys pumped up, based on what he knew of them. Maybe it was - I have no idea. Only that I would be in the "pissed off" camp, not the "fired up" one!

Anyhow, hopefully in the future we'll get to see more varied gameplanning.

Don't be sad for disagreeing with me, you're not the first and you certainly won't be the last ;)

its good to have someone who can actually take a differing opinion without tearing the person who is offering a differing opinion a new arse hole, any way welcome to the game and i hope you decide to stick with it!

Week 3's fight was pretty good. I think Bentley definitely has a good chance to get the wildcard spot. Don't really know what is up with Cope. I understand where his teammates are coming from, but at the same time he's a grown man and can do what ever the hell he wants.

A good fight and I think Bentley's weakness is his mediocre striking D. He really just act like he don't care and eat punches instead of blocking them.

This was a match that I couldn't see how either one could win the first round. Len secured a more dominant position on the ground and maybe a bit more strikes that weren't really what I would call clean. I thought it was a pretty even round with a possible lean towards Len. I figured the fight would be 20-19 or 19-19 after watching it. The person who won being the winner of the 20-19.

Also, wasn't circling the only thing Len said about his game plan? Definitely didn't see much of that. My memory isn't the best, but I think he circled during the first 2 seconds of the match and that was it.

In the first they both had knockdowns, top position, and Len almost got a deep armbar. Ryan survived it and was slightly more accurate in the striking. I had it as a draw.

In the second Len kept whiffing that terrible spinning backfist and walked into punches. 10-9 Ryan.

Close enough to see it as a draw but I gave the edge to Ryan.

Entertaining fight but these guys really look horrible. I agreed with the winner but thought the first round was a draw. Funny to see Brock try to explain his unfortunate choice of words :P

I thought it was funny when he said "you cant make chicken salad out of chicken shit". That is a good one i never heard before. But why the hell do you come in the locker room after a win and reword it like none of the fighters have any talent or potential? Brock cant coach for shit but is funt to watch. I have always been a big fan of Santos. But he is coming off as an even more likable guy.