Should Matchmaking be Based off Hype or Skill?

This is a pretty basic and popular question: should fights be made off of skill or hype? Realistically, hype would play the much bigger part (which also favors organization owners), but many org owners such as myself book fights almost entirely on skill.

Discuss.

I usually go solely on hype/pop rating, but sometimes I let even their WC/p4p ranking influence my matchmaking. It can be a bit tricky though as sometimes guys will be very close hype/pop wise and say ranked in the top 5 of your division, but one guy declines a fight stating the skill gap is too much. Also even if the hype/pop is pretty close to the same I try not to match up guys with ID diffs that are too large. At the end of the day I just try to do what makes sense for the division, and I guess as far as the ID diff goes that's not always followed IRL otherwise would Cain have ever fought Big Nog, or even Jones vs. Rua??

Hype + Popularity all the way. If the fighter doesn't have the skills to back up his hype, he doesn't deserve to have it in the first place.

I think you're being pretty cynical here.

Your assumption is based on fighters working their way up, not those on their way down.

A fighter with a 3-0 record and all finishes against other new fighters can easily have the same hype as someone who is 12-4 that typically wins by decision and has lost his last two or three against really good competition.

It's not that the young fighter "doesn't deserve" his placing, it's that the veteran gets dropped really quickly sometimes.

Hype + Popularity all the way. If the fighter doesn't have the skills to back up his hype, he doesn't deserve to have it in the first place.

I agree 100% from both an org owner's perspective and a manager's perspective. That said, as an owner, I do my best to offer relatively even fights on both ends.

I've always done it purely on skill, this is an interesting point though.

A fighter with a 3-0 record and all finishes against other new fighters can easily have the same hype as someone who is 12-4 that typically wins by decision and has lost his last two or three against really good competition.

It's not that the young fighter "doesn't deserve" his placing, it's that the veteran gets dropped really quickly sometimes.

This has always been one of my lamentations. I do a lot of fighter searches and it always saddens me a little to see your typical 14-6 type fighter with less hype/pop than a 2-0 guy. I think with the new changes we'll see less of this, though.

Nicely put. Try telling some managers that though. I have some managers who won't fight those next to them in rankings. Creation ID and primaries are the usual excuses. It pisses you off when you are a manager who will take almost any fight and you have to deal with these Prima Donnas as an org owner. I've been a soft-touch and given in to them too often since I got an org, but that is going to change. From now on I'm going to let the managers who won't fight fester. And I'll send them a link to this topic too :)

For my org,which has a mix on new along with more experienced fighters, I find matchups based on fighter hype and use fighter ID as a litmus test for its fairness. If the fighter ID gets too great I generally message the manager of the newer fighter and ask if he's willing to take the fight. The older a fighter gets though, the range of fighter ID's I think is reasonable gets larger and larger.

For orgs like Blitz, Syn, RHOE, NFC, CoV, CFC etc hype/pop is the only way to go. If youre swimming with the sharks its eat or be eaten!

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread, but seeing how some org owners aren't too happy with people turning down fights because of skill gaps, I'd like to know if any of you owners would be pissed I turned this fight down, because I have a pretty decent contract with this org and wouldnt want to jeopardize that.

I'm the closest in the org (in my weight class) to his hype, but the fight would be an absolute joke....

My guy: http://www.mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=136592

The guy I was SUPPOSED to fight: http://www.mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=30172

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread, but seeing how some org owners aren't too happy with people turning down fights because of skill gaps, I'd like to know if any of you owners would be pissed I turned this fight down, because I have a pretty decent contract with this org and wouldnt want to jeopardize that.

I'm the closest in the org (in my weight class) to his hype, but the fight would be an absolute joke....

The guy I was SUPPOSED to fight: http://www.mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=30172

Lol, yeah that would be a pretty onesided fight.

As far as for booking fights I base it on both hype and skills. You can get away with feeding high hyped cans to monsters for a while, but eventually the managers will get unhappy with the org and probably leave you. So just basing the matchmaking on hype will probably be at your own loss in the long run if you´re a small/medium org.

But its 8k p4p vs 263 p4p. Its a pointless fight from all perspectives.

From an org owner's perspective, you only care about hype - you want to make sure the hype of both fighters (hype = P4P rank, btw) is as close as possible.

Pop only comes into play, for an org owner, when ordering fights on the card - not when booking fights.

This is pretty much my opinion on it. I look for fighters closely ranked (hype) to each other and then look at their skills just to ensure that it wont be a one sided demolition, an advantage in one primary provides a manager the ability to make a gameplan that could win them the fight. So to me hype is easily the most important factor.

For me I am only unhappy if there is no good reason to turn it down, I would not have offered this fight and even if I had I would understand why you wouldn't want it, give a valid reason to any org owner and they will be cool about it. Nothing ever really annoys me too much but some stuff can irritate me a little, you move on though and just get on with it.