8 sparring sessions per week

RodrigoMachado

I've always heard that 6 sessions is the ideal, but recently I heard that the problem begins if you do 3 in a row.

So would there be any problem in following such schedule?

Monday AM Boxing Sparring (2)

Monday PM Boxing Sparring (3)

Tuesday AM No training

Tuesday PM Boxing Sparring (2)

Weds AM No training

Weds PM Boxing Sparring (2)

Thursday AM No training

Thursday PM Boxing Sparring (2)

Friday AM Boxing Sparring (3)

Friday PM No training

Saturday AM Boxing Sparring (2)

Saturday PM Boxing Sparring (2)

One of the forum regulars was saying that there was a tally of how many sessions you did. So it is an accumulation of 3. So spar, spar, spar is 1+1+1 so you hit 3. Spar, spar, rest, spar, spar would be 1+1-1+1+1 so you hit 3.

That is the point that your fighter will get a message saying that he feels all disgusting inside. I have never checked how the results are for a consecutive session. I just know that the message comes on the third. Never checked for the 3rd tally of non consecutive though.

And now that I actually read your post, Friday and Saturday PM will definitely be past 2 tally days, and depending how the tally works like if it keeps going up, sat am and fri pm will be 3, and sat pm will be 4 so it would be hindered greatly.

From what everyone has said its best results by doing am sparring Monday to Friday then back to back sparring on Saturday so its never more than 3 sessions therefore don't get the message from your fighter and you can still train other skills

Hopefully a vet of the game can answer why its not a good idea to do it your way with an explanation as I'm intrigued now myself :D

I don't know whether it's been changed or not, but the main problem with sparring too often is the energy drain.

It's been a while since I did it, but I sparred too often back in the day and the energy hit per session went crazy. A typical energy hit for a spar session is c. 1.3 to 1.5 pts per sessions, but sparring too frequently causes that to ramp up pretty dramatically.

I saw the post where Cardiff mentioned about the "counters" which is what the TS is alluding too, but that might have just been to do with getting a message from the fighter that he's sparring too much.

You can definitely spar 7 sessions a week without any morale issue - either all of the AM sessions, plus Saturday PM, or all of the PM sessions plus Monday AM. Not sure about 8 sessions.

TK makes a good point on the energy side of things, though, as it does drain more energy, so 7 sessions a week is probably only useful for a sparbot.

You can definitely spar 7 sessions a week without any morale issue - either all of the AM sessions, plus Saturday PM, or all of the PM sessions plus Monday AM. Not sure about 8 sessions.

TK makes a good point on the energy side of things, though, as it does drain more energy, so 7 sessions a week is probably only useful for a sparbot.

you don't want to do all-PM-plus-monday-AM. the reason that all-AM-plus-saturday-PM works is because immediately after the back-to-back sessions on saturday you have 2 rest sessions on sunday to bring it back to normal energy-loss for the monday AM session. if you do all PM sessions plus monday AM, then you have increased energy loss with all the PM sparring sessions that week, until you have the back-to-back rest sessions on sunday.

• Upvote 1

I don't know whether it's been changed or not, but the main problem with sparring too often is the energy drain.

It's been a while since I did it, but I sparred too often back in the day and the energy hit per session went crazy. A typical energy hit for a spar session is c. 1.3 to 1.5 pts per sessions, but sparring too frequently causes that to ramp up pretty dramatically.

I saw the post where Cardiff mentioned about the "counters" which is what the TS is alluding too, but that might have just been to do with getting a message from the fighter that he's sparring too much.

Exactly, there are *2* effects that keep getting conflated here:

Effect 1:

Energy loss. This happens even in just 2 back-to-back sessions. So spar Monday AM and PM and the second session drains more energy than the first one did.

Effect 2:

Morale hit with fighter message. This is what happens with the "counters" mentioned above.

Effect 3: decreased learning when over-sparring.

True... I guess I always associated that as an effect of the morale and energy drop but it is a separate thing on it's own.

One of the forum regulars was saying that there was a tally of how many sessions you did. So it is an accumulation of 3. So spar, spar, spar is 1+1+1 so you hit 3. Spar, spar, rest, spar, spar would be 1+1-1+1+1 so you hit 3.

That is the point that your fighter will get a message saying that he feels all disgusting inside. I have never checked how the results are for a consecutive session. I just know that the message comes on the third. Never checked for the 3rd tally of non consecutive though.

And now that I actually read your post, Friday and Saturday PM will definitely be past 2 tally days, and depending how the tally works like if it keeps going up, sat am and fri pm will be 3, and sat pm will be 4 so it would be hindered greatly.

This was back when we thought (or maybe it even was the case) that diminishing returns only applied when you got a message to your fighter to stop sparring. Once a day, with a possible additional session on Sat PM, like has been said, is the very maximum.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I'm trying to understand sparring better.

Is this still the current/accurate way of looking at sparring?