Training Inquiry For A Submission Fighter

I need your opinions on how to train a submission fighter. What abilities to train, kind of sparring, supplements that could help, anything you know. Also post any training tactics for other types of fighters. Thank you. :D

I really dont know much about specialized ground/subs guys. Most of my guys are just well rounded guys that can take it to the ground if necessary. I'm aiming for this with thisfighter though

Boxing Superb

Muay Thai Superb

Wrestling Elite

BJJ Elite

Punches Elite

Kicks Useless

Elbows Useless

Knees Useless

Clinchwork Elite

Striking Defense Elite

Ground n Pound Elite

Takedown Off Elite

Takedown Def Wonderful

Submissions Elite

Defensive Grap Elite, 15 (0)--

I'd probably get bored and stop and exceptional/sensational at some of those lol. But neway I imagine that's what a specialized ground/sub guy is suppose to look like under the current training changes. Either say you will need def g, subs, takedown d (So when you dont get taken down it doesnt go str8 to mount), tkd o, GnP(softens up for subs), sd, and some kind of offense on the feet to mix it up while u get it to the ground. I'm sure some other more ground savvy will chime in to help u more.

Sparring - Just spar what you need to get to the level you want

Supplements - Just use the supplement that your training. Muscle for strength training, Stamina for cardio, and Recovery for coach/spar sessions.

A session = one solitary session, so 12 sessions is 6 full days of training etc etc

And yeah people mean with 1on1 training, using an elite coach training just that specific secondary as a rule of thumb

there are 6 things you need to be REALLY FREAKING GOOD at to be a submission fighter those are flexibility, speed, balance, submission offense, defensive grappling, and of course BJJ, for the physicals (except for flex) should be at least wonderful, flex should be sensational, and all secondaries should be close to sensational or better if possible. however, this is for mid to top tier fighters and this is just strictly focusing of BJJ related physicals and secondaries, secondaries you will also need are a striking secondary, clinch, strike defense, ground and pound, and some TDD so you dont get victimized by the stand up then take down strategy.

there are 6 things you need to be REALLY FREAKING GOOD at to be a submission fighter those are flexibility, speed, balance, submission offense, defensive grappling, and of course BJJ, for the physicals (except for flex) should be at least wonderful, flex should be sensational, and all secondaries should be close to sensational or better if possible. however, this is for mid to top tier fighters and this is just strictly focusing of BJJ related physicals and secondaries, secondaries you will also need are a striking secondary, clinch, strike defense, ground and pound, and some TDD so you dont get victimized by the stand up then take down strategy.

Wow. Thanks for the specific breakdown. Created 3 fighters and for this one guy I think I'm going to get flooded by all these.

Now, fortunately, during my fighter's character creation I managed to do a decent job on allocating most of my points those said attributes. Happy with that, I think I need a gym to give me good training on these attributes. But, as you said earlier, those are BJJ related only. I think I'm going to mix a bit of stand-up game, preferably punches plus good GNP. This is A LOT for a newbie like me. Really great tip though and I'm going to use this as my guide. :)

Going to focus on BJJ until I get to strong on the main attributes. Hopefully the slider tactics would help me get on an all ground game approach with minimal stand-ups in my fights.

Thanks for the comments guys. Truly appreciated.

Yeah. Gotta consult you if I really have trouble (Going to see my slider efficiency after 2 or 3 fights). I want to experience first hand the sliders. Get a feel out of it and hopefully get a good setting for my fighters in general.

I really dont know much about specialized ground/subs guys. Most of my guys are just well rounded guys that can take it to the ground if necessary. I'm aiming for this with thisfighter though

Boxing Superb

Muay Thai Superb

Wrestling Elite

BJJ Elite

Punches Elite

Kicks Useless

Elbows Useless

Knees Useless

Clinchwork Elite

Striking Defense Elite

Ground n Pound Elite

Takedown Off Elite

Takedown Def Wonderful

Submissions Elite

Defensive Grap Elite, 15 (0)--

I'd probably get bored and stop and exceptional/sensational at some of those lol. But neway I imagine that's what a specialized ground/sub guy is suppose to look like under the current training changes. Either say you will need def g, subs, takedown d (So when you dont get taken down it doesnt go str8 to mount), tkd o, GnP(softens up for subs), sd, and some kind of offense on the feet to mix it up while u get it to the ground. I'm sure some other more ground savvy will chime in to help u more.

Sparring - Just spar what you need to get to the level you want

Supplements - Just use the supplement that your training. Muscle for strength training, Stamina for cardio, and Recovery for coach/spar sessions.

Otherwise you may also want to train him in throwing good kicks, since as far as I know each landed leg kick makes it a bit more difficult to stop your takedowns.

Hmmm. So it seems that there are many different approaches for a submission guy. Probably it depends on your tactis. Let's say you favor a guy who goes clinching then shoot for the takedown. Or the usual wrestler with minimal standup. The "Im-gonna-soften-you-up-with-kicks-first" fighters.

In this case I got the stats I need to build up on. The main ones. What kind of fighter my guy is going to be is still to be decided. But I want this guy to have some good boxing, competent GNP and I want to go for cardio on this guy. That's the start I want to give my fighter.

How do you guys think he'll fare?

I'd go to wonderful GnP if you can, will REALLY help keep the fight in the ground without stand-up and help to get the submission. Look at it as tactical awareness to set up a submission or to get the opponent to move to where you want him, and if you can't land punches (even soft ones) on the ground you can't put pressure on to cause the opening

Mike is right here, however depending on how soon you want to fight you can be a little flexible with this. you can start with wrestling if you want to fight early, but if you want to go long term, go jits with subs and defensive grappling and clinch, this way by training up GnP and take downs you get your wrestling to about superb just from training those to wonderful

Exactly, I should have said as a long term goal there. It's not essential as competent will work fine at lower levels to start with but end goal ideally would be wonderful or above :)

So far the training my submission guy has:

BJJ sparring - 2 sessions per week

Boxing sparring - 1 session per week

Takedowns, Clinchwork, Sub Offense and Takedown Defense, Defensive Grappling and GNP at one session per week.

Plus a General Circuit training once a week.

Then 2 no trainings.

Any opinions on this?

So far the training my submission guy has:

BJJ sparring - 2 sessions per week

Boxing sparring - 1 session per week

Takedowns, Clinchwork, Sub Offense and Takedown Defense, Defensive Grappling and GNP at one session per week.

Plus a General Circuit training once a week.

Then 2 no trainings.

Any opinions on this?

Focus on less stuff at one time. You shouldnt try to learn all that stuff at the same time IMO. Maybe do deg grap to remark/wondi then sub, then tkd d. I would hold off on the BJJ sparring til I am done training the secondaries. You should b at a decent bjj level w/o sparring when you get done with training the secondaries that affect it.

Focus on less stuff at one time. You shouldnt try to learn all that stuff at the same time IMO. Maybe do deg grap to remark/wondi then sub, then tkd d. I would hold off on the BJJ sparring til I am done training the secondaries. You should b at a decent bjj level w/o sparring when you get done with training the secondaries that affect it.

this

Hmmm. I think I kinda get how training works. The energy levels my next prob. Just finisihed a fight yesterday and I think my guy is in the 80% mark. He has a no training today and going full the next few days (Next no training is on wednesday). How much is the energy consumption per training? Approximates? I gave my guy a supplement. But I think its for sparring only. Hmmm. A recovery supplement I think.