Thoughts on the UFC video game

MMATycoon

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I hate:

1. Shogun hasn't been with Shute Boxe since Jan of 2008...maybe update this for teh commentary?

2. No action against the cage

3. They call Shoun Murilo...his brothers first name

4. No entrances

5. No foot stomps

Things I like:

1. Real time brusing

2. Flash KO's

3. Ring girls' umm...ta-ta's...life like to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now that the game is officaly out and all.

The thing I realy realy..realy hate, is the fact people can turn off there console during the fight when they are losing, and they wont get a lose assigned, and the winner doesnt get his win.

they should have done it like fight night, so when someone breaks there connection they should get a lose.

because now its getting abused a lot, hopefully they will fix this it's making a great game realy frustrating to play at times.

A pretty good first effort. Lot of good things, but a lot of things need improvements.

The graphics are pretty decent, but they're not even close to say Fight Night RD4, or even Fight Night RD3. The submission engine works fine against human players, but against the comp, it needs some serious tweaking. I don't agree with only being able to pull off subs when your opponent has sapped his energy by throwing to many punches or whatever etc. It should be easier to pull them off after you've punished them on the ground a little--mixing up strikes etc. Unfortunately that's not the case.

The collision detection is also way off, and the lack of left-handed fighters (supposedly because they couldn't get the collision detection correct) is just plain unacceptable. I mean that should have been very easy to accomplish. The game just seems a little rushed. They probably needed more time, but I think they wanted it released before UFC 100.

Just some of my personal gripes, but other than that the game is pretty fun. The signature moves are spot on, and the fighters look just like their counterparts--particularly Shogun, Wanderlei, and Rampage. The AI is really good, and you can't just button smash your way through opponents--even on easy. The clinch game is awesome. It's really hard to get out of the plum if Wanderlei gets a hold of you. I give it 8/10.

nothings perfect :P. i havent played it yet but i sure as hell dont expect any game to be flawless. they worked on this game for quite some time and they achieved the most important thing from what i read and that is to make the fights fun. the core of the game is good and a lot of people were amazed how good they got this complex sports on the screen. this game will be a huge success and they will continue the series. maybe in about 12-18 months we can already play a better version of Undisputed :).

Career mode rules. Finished my first guy off with a 31-5 record. At the end the guys started getting pretty hard to finish but I still remained undefeated after getting the title, and KOing everyone from 2 fights prior to the title fight and beyond.

Now I started my career as Melvin Manhoef and needless to say his striking is pretty ridiculous already. I just need to improve his attributes to increase power, speed and cardio first.

I had the chance to play the game this weekend and I think it's pretty fun.

I really struggles with the mechanics of the ground game but think that they probably found a pretty decent way of creating those controls given the complexities of the ground game.

They did a good job of incorporating the "flash KO". It's great that it isn't just a matter of mashing a guy down to the bottom of the energy bar.

Overall it's a solid 8 out of 10. There are some items like the graphics and movement that can be improved or made more fluid. But it's good, I was impressed. And most importantly, it's fun.

I really like the game. What is really good about is that you just cant go to it and then in a matter of hours of intense playing you are a master at it. It is genuninely a tough game to play. But yeah, it needs more 'up against the cage' action and a way of effectively using the cage to your advantage.

Oh, and to redos, I heard that THQ are working on a patch to fix that "bug".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can I ask a couple of Qs about this, having just got the game/a PS3.

Do certain fighters just refuse to do a takedown and always pull guard? I keep trying to do a takedown with KenFlo or Anderson and they just pull guard every time. I'm hoping that I'm doing it wrong because that's infuriating.

Also, I can't keep out of range of someone by moving sideways and or backwards and using strategy. It seems that if your opponent just walks forward, they can get into close range very easily. Is it possible to move and keep distance OK? Again, I hope I'm doing it wrong.

All in all I think the game is very disappointing. I played two fights and got a flash KO in one and got flash KOd in the second. Both times via exactly the same strikes as the previous 20 strikes that landed and didn't even remotely phase either fighter.

Each fighter has different skill sets. Have to hit pause and look at their skills to see what they can do.

Usually flicking the stick fast will have them kinda skip backwards fast.

Game takes a bit of practice. Have to remember it is their first shot at a MMA game and based on that, i think they did the job well. They are already working on 2010 version, planning to have a deeper career mode. 09s career is basically built for online play. Build up a fighter fast to fight them online.

Also EA is going to be doing their own MMA game now. Alternating with Fight Night.

I am just going off the demo though, my blu ray died on my ps3 ( sony wants 150 to fix it even though its only a year and a half old with minimal use ).

MMAtycoon to do a takedown on ps3 its L2 and -> on the left analoug stick the two player you are using are bjj grapplers so im guessing so get double underhooks and then your guys pull guard thats because pretty much all bjj guys just do that minotouro however can do a move were he throws them sideways

btw if you do the tutorial it realllly helps covers everything pretty extensively

I bought the game recently and I have spend few hours with it now. I must say Im a bit disappointed. Even tho it has a lot of moves and transitions etc I just find it pretty boring for some reason. I feel like I have already seen what this game has to offer at this point. :(

I did the tutorial but there's so much to remember :P

Indeed lol

I played the CAW all the way through and basically just tried to do the old Chuck stand up all the time. Did a bit of clinchwork towards the end but couldn't ever do any submissions even when the opponent was rocked. Also really didn't no how i was getting into better defensive positions or how to block them getting out of guard

Played this game last weekend for the first time, and had a lot of fun with it. But the thing that bothered me the most was that if a guy lands a good shot on you, he can just keep hitting the same button before you can get your defense in place or move out of range, and your just stuck there taking the abuse. That was very frustrating, when it wasnt me inflicting the damage. :P

Can I ask a couple of Qs about this, having just got the game/a PS3.

Do certain fighters just refuse to do a takedown and always pull guard? I keep trying to do a takedown with KenFlo or Anderson and they just pull guard every time. I'm hoping that I'm doing it wrong because that's infuriating.

Also, I can't keep out of range of someone by moving sideways and or backwards and using strategy. It seems that if your opponent just walks forward, they can get into close range very easily. Is it possible to move and keep distance OK? Again, I hope I'm doing it wrong.

All in all I think the game is very disappointing. I played two fights and got a flash KO in one and got flash KOd in the second. Both times via exactly the same strikes as the previous 20 strikes that landed and didn't even remotely phase either fighter.

BJJ fighters always pull guard from the clinch. Wrestlers and Judo fighters can perform throws or slams.

Click the left stick down as you move away to 'step'. You can use it in conjunction with punches to throw a stepping jab (or elbow at close range).

I think the basic fight mechanics and graphics are very good. Love the ground grapple system especially. My only major problem is the repetitive career mode (I finished it once with a WW, then was two bored to care about doing it again) and the fact that there is so little to do with all the liscenced fighters. What's the point of having big names like GSP and BJ Penn if all you can do with them is fight the odd classic fight and on the Exhibition mode with them. Big waste of money, THQ.