UFC 143 Pick 'Em

Diaz fans are in denial. It's ok guys, that's the first stage of grieving. You'll get through it eventually. And beyond that, you're all delusional. Please explain to me what Diaz did significant? He missed a TON of shots and hit a few. On top of that, he couldn't control the octagon because everytime Condit wanted out, he got out. Diaz wanted it against the cage and couldn't keep it there. End of story. The only criteria that Diaz won was that he walked towards Condit for the fight. Congrats on walking forward.

Finally somebody gets it. Look I wanted to see Diaz against GSP too, but Condit had the better game plan and executed it perfectly. It frustrated the hell out of Diaz, but that is what happens when Diaz's trash talking doesn't affect someone. The Diaz bro's trash talking is what lures everyone into their type of fight and allows them to dictate what happens.

Um

Scoring in Unified rules is based on......

Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

Effective striking in round 1 and 5 was clearly diaz but condit won 2 3 4

Grappling was clearly Diaz in all 5 as he circled out of every clinch attempt by condit and took the back in the last 2 minutes

control of the ring was clearly Diaz despite Condit's best efforts to counter

His Aggresiveness was clearly affective and more so nthen Condits

And Condit was better defensively..

Go Figure

Finally somebody gets it. Look I wanted to see Diaz against GSP too, but Condit had the better game plan and executed it perfectly. It frustrated the hell out of Diaz, but that is what happens when Diaz's trash talking doesn't affect someone. The Diaz bro's trash talking is what lures everyone into their type of fight and allows them to dictate what happens.

Diaz didn't trash talk condit this fight .....

A lot of people disagree. It aren't all fanboys. I think that Condit should've won under the conventional scoring criteria, but obviously that's a very flawed system. Now the fighter that knows how to work the scoring system the best still can get a decision over a better fighter. People want who score it as a fight and not as a slapbox-wrestling contest might think that it should've been scored differently. I don't think that the whole tag-takedown-octagon control mentality has a lot to do with fighting and should be reduced as much as possible in MMA. This fight somethimes reminded me of Starnes vs Quarry. The biggest difference being that Condit scored more leg kicks. Aside from that Diaz got the better of Condit in every other area.

i just watched the figt 2 times and i scored it 3-2 diaz and a possiable 4-1 diaz. I am not a fanboy of diaz and/or condit ( i like both fighters tbh ),but i can not see why the judges made condit win this. He got outclassed in every area except leg kicks.

Effective striking in round 1 and 5 was clearly diaz but condit won 2 3 4

Grappling was clearly Diaz in all 5 as he circled out of every clinch attempt by condit and took the back in the last 2 minutes

control of the ring was clearly Diaz despite Condit's best efforts to counter

His Aggresiveness was clearly affective and more so nthen Condits

And Condit was better defensively..

Effective Striking was about even. Condit probably had the edge as you stated.

Grappling was Diaz, but it's not like there was a lot of it to judge.

Control of the Octagon was actually Condit, although Diaz was pushing forward Condit was the one that controlled where the fight went. He was making Diaz chase him.

Aggressiveness of was Diaz obviously.

Condit definitely won the defensive battle.

Wow I'm actually shocked that so many people thought Diaz was robbed, I guess I really do need to go watch this fight again. I wanted him to win but I thought it was the right decision personally. Now Pierce on the other hand I think was the one that was robbed. Kos gets 2 takedowns, does nothing else, and gets the win? Pierce was jabbing him in the face the whole time. BS decision IMO. I better go watch those two fights again...

I thought Diaz won, but after re-watching it I changed my mind. Aggressiveness went to Diaz? Diaz was walking forward and dropping his hands to taunt. But, who actually threw more shots? Actually attacking is something I would call aggressive. Condit threw way more shots and landed more as well even if he was circling off the cage every chance he got. Does that not count towards aggression? He wasn't counter striking. He was attacking then moving. So, I actually would give aggression to the guy who attacked more and didn't just walk forward with his hands down.

Octagon control I would give to Diaz. Yes, Condit decided where the fight took place to an extent, but his butt bounced off the cage more times than I care to count. He wasn't controlling the middle of the cage. He was getting cornered then ducking out to reset. No way I can give Condit control for that.

Grappling I would give to Diaz in round 5, but the rest of the fight his only TD attempts were all stuffed. Condit would win grappling for those rounds if it was counted at all.

As for effective striking I defer to fight metric. Diaz won round 2 and lost the other 4 rounds by quite a bit. It wasn't really that close except round 1. Condit won the striking by a wide margin.

• Upvote 3

I thought Diaz won, but after re-watching it I changed my mind. Aggressiveness went to Diaz? Diaz was walking forward and dropping his hands to taunt. But, who actually threw more shots? Actually attacking is something I would call aggressive. Condit threw way more shots and landed more as well even if he was circling off the cage every chance he got. Does that not count towards aggression? He wasn't counter striking. He was attacking then moving. So, I actually would give aggression to the guy who attacked more and didn't just walk forward with his hands down.

Octagon control I would give to Diaz. Yes, Condit decided where the fight took place to an extent, but his butt bounced off the cage more times than I care to count. He wasn't controlling the middle of the cage. He was getting cornered then ducking out to reset. No way I can give Condit control for that.

Grappling I would give to Diaz in round 5, but the rest of the fight his only TD attempts were all stuffed. Condit would win grappling for those rounds if it was counted at all.

As for effective striking I defer to fight metric. Diaz won round 2 and lost the other 4 rounds by quite a bit. It wasn't really that close except round 1. Condit won the striking by a wide margin.

pretty much this and as i said in chat, Diaz is only really effective when he cuts off the opponent against the cage where he can unload with those long, high punch complex combinations. outside of the second round diaz never got the fight where he was most effective. condit fought smart and took the decision win. condit did more damage, landed more shots (especially leg kicks), and outside of the 5th round, out grappled diaz by stuffing all his attempts to get the fight to the mat.

the robbery of the night was martinez riddle imo, outside of the 3rd and the last 30 seconds of the second round, martinez controlled and outstruck riddle.

I agree with Eveas on octagon control and effective aggressiveness. Condit should've won under the current system, but the judging criteria needs reviewing in my eyes. I remember Peoples saying that he scored Shogun vs Machida 1 in favor of Machida because leg kicks don't finish fights. And Shogun actually threw them to hurt. Condit only landed more leg kicks, but rarely committed to them. When Cyborg's leg kicks began to hurt I remember Diaz started to check the kicks and piled up the pressure. Diaz also has an awful corner. His weird boxing coach only talked boxing and Nate never said a word. He really thought that he was winning the whole time.

http://www.video2gif.net/view/79128/Mijnfilm.gif

I love reading MMAJunkie.com's "Sunday Junkie" where they let the fans have a say in whatever they choose (normally it's about the latest UFC event). This week's edition was by far one of the best I have read. While yes I have a big dislike of the Diaz brothers, I can admit they have loads of talent and are some of the top MMA fighters in the world. Some of the fan articles this week were right on spot with what Eveas said.

Note: You can tell which one's are Diaz fanboys pretty easily.......

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27309/the-sunday-junkie-feb-5-edition.mma

I love reading MMAJunkie.com's "Sunday Junkie" where they let the fans have a say in whatever they choose (normally it's about the latest UFC event). This week's edition was by far one of the best I have read. While yes I have a big dislike of the Diaz brothers, I can admit they have loads of talent and are some of the top MMA fighters in the world. Some of the fan articles this week were right on spot with what Eveas said.

Note: You can tell which one's are Diaz fanboys pretty easily.......

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27309/the-sunday-junkie-feb-5-edition.mma

yeah, are just butthurt that he lost

Diaz fans are in denial. It's ok guys, that's the first stage of grieving. You'll get through it eventually. And beyond that, you're all delusional. Please explain to me what Diaz did significant? He missed a TON of shots and hit a few. On top of that, he couldn't control the octagon because everytime Condit wanted out, he got out. Diaz wanted it against the cage and couldn't keep it there. End of story. The only criteria that Diaz won was that he walked towards Condit for the fight. Congrats on walking forward.

Exactly this. Nick only really does well when he baits fighters into his terms with the taunts, then he gets them usually pinned against the cage and he unloads the punches in bunches method. Carlos followed the gameplan which was to get the hell away from that. People gonna call him a coward, or Machida etc. But that isn't to say he didn't run 25 fucking minutes. He ran only to disengage from Diaz's favored area of the fight. That isn't to say Carlos didn't attack, of course he did. Stats from the fight clearly show he threw and landed many more than Nick, he tried headkicks, various counters, and spinning attacks (that failed miserably), so it isn't to say Carlos didn't try to KO nick, he was just being cautious enough not to let Nick counter him or push him up against the cage. Aggression won't win you the fight Nick.

I personally saw it 48-47 though. 1, and 2 for Nick. 3, 4, and barely 5 for Carlos. Yes 5 can be arguable due to the takedown and back control, but for the most part Carlos was controlling the fight well enough in that Nick only got a takedown, getting back control and a failed RNC attempt to count in his favor for the 5th. Too many people value even 1 takedown too highly in MMA these days.

One last thing. I originally expected Nick to win too. I even wanted him to face GSP, but I am glad Carlos won since the smarter fighter got the win in this case, it will be nowhere near as exciting or dramatic as GSP vs. Diaz though.

Lots of projection in this topic. Diaz lost. I like him, too, but really, stop throwing a fucking fit because a fighter you relate to got outworked.

Funny how this "octagon control" shit only comes up when a fucking striker doesn't strike very well, eh? You did it with Rampage, and you did it here :). Stop getting so personally invested, and stop disrespecting the fighters. You are a fan. Not an MMA judge. I don't care if you have something uppity and stupid to say in response, but the fact of the matter is, Nick got outworked and outstruck. Every statistic says so, my own eyes say so, and my viewpoint as a completely objective fight watcher says so.

Nick's good and will in fact be back. He doesn't need you lot to justify his bullshit. Feel free to disagree with me, but flaming me won't accomplish anything or change facts. Let's keep this on the up and up, shall we?

Want to see more of that kickboxer on the undercard, on a positive note. And Condit will in fact be wrestled by a ball of Canadian muscle, most likely.

• Upvote 2

I'm not personally invested and I don't try to disrespect anybody. Don't discredit me because I don't agree with you. I like to see a change in judging criteria to discourage fighters to consciencely adapt their approach to suit the scoring. I don't like to see that. It has nothing to do with liking Diaz or disliking Condit. I've always had this opinion. Yeah, Condit won. That's good for him. He played by the rules. I still understand why people are upset.

point, set, and match.