LHW worst weightclass ?

jacky67

Rampage vs Bader was so bad,but it's not the first time i wonder it.

So we have rampage the brawler who can't even throw a kick or move faster than my turtle , rashad and machida with no chin at all.

All these guys has no bjj at all of course.

Shogun and griffin two guys with heart, brawling striking and decent BJJ that looks like world class grappler when fighting others dude.

Then u have Jon Jones the guy has big arms and no one can touch it cause they dunno how to close the distance or throw leg kicks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

not sure about talented, but definetely they are way more skilled at this point.

That's nuts, they're neither more talented or more skilled. They're bigger. That's it. Overeem wasn't anywhere as good as a light heavyweight as he is as a heavyweight. That's because the competition at light heavyweight is way tougher.

That's nuts, they're neither more talented or more skilled. They're bigger. That's it. Overeem wasn't anywhere as good as a light heavyweight as he is as a heavyweight. That's because the competition at light heavyweight is way tougher.

He is also 6'5.

Sorry for the long reply...

I disagree and I think that's simplistic analysis. MMA is a lot about athleticism - it's not just about technical skills.

Overeem had good moments at lhw, but always gassed against the top notch, allowing his opponents to finish the fights (only one that went to distance was the first lil nog fight but overeem was just completely done after the first round). Watch the second lil nog fight, or even the shogun fight. He's said multiple times the weight cut was so severe at lhw. I believe that compromised his performance - he was skilled, but gassed.

About Jon Jones' skills, due to his size, he hardly got his defensive skills tested - either grappling or striking wise. That leaves a big ? in relation to his technical skills, since anybody who's ever practiced a martial art knows the basics about a combat is the ability to defend yourself. Jones is the one who is a lot bigger than the competition he faced so far, so that leave us with little to no information about the extent of his technical (defensive) skills. However, we do have a hint: the Rampage and the Machida fight, where against very technical strikers, he basically used running around the cage to get rid of what was being hit. Actually, against the Machida fight he looked nothing good on that first round.

IMO, right now, Jones would struggle against guys who are the same size as he is and that have the technical background that JDS or Overeem has. But please, understand me, I'm not, in any way, hating on Jones, like not really, at all. He's one of my favorites fighters right now, I love to see him fight, and I think it's a matter of experience and training that will lead him being able to face dangerous bigger guys. I think he is the most talented youngster (under 27?) out there along with Jose Aldo (we will never have a tiebreaker here, though). He's just so young and has been training striking for what? 4 years now? For me he is a lot more talented, just not yet as skilled as, for instance, Overeem, right now.

• Upvote 1

i think jose has more technique than jones

Right now, yes, I agree. Aldo is a BJJ world champion and a Boxing and MT practioneer for such a long time. That said, I do think Jones' got the potential though to be as good as Aldo across the game in the near future (if not better).

Aldo and Jones just seem to be those guys who were "made" to fight.

Rampage vs Bader was so bad,but it's not the first time i wonder it.

So we have rampage the brawler who can't even throw a kick or move faster than my turtle , rashad and machida with no chin at all.

All these guys has no bjj at all of course.

Shogun and griffin two guys with heart, brawling striking and decent BJJ that looks like world class grappler when fighting others dude.

Then u have Jon Jones the guy has big arms and no one can touch it cause they dunno how to close the distance or throw leg kicks.

You have a turtle? Awwww, Whats his name?

No, the worst weightclass is and will always be the heavyweight division. If some of the guys at light heavyweight would go up I think they would do extremely well.

Surprised by this statement or maybe I missed the sarcasm.

Junior Dos Santos

Cain Velesquez

Overeem (who I think is garbage and will get destroyed by JDS & any striker with a reasonable chin)

Shane Carwin - Some of the heaviest hands out there

Mark Hunt - K1 striker

Fabricio Werdum

Frank Mir - broke Big Nog's arm

Big Nog - let his arm be broken

Roy Nelson

That alone, that's some depth. Not including Kongo, dispite being finished by Mark Hunt, is a really tough, big scary son of a bitch.

I think the bottom of the HW division is pretty weak but when you take the top 5 or 10 fighters from the weight class than it's stacked. I don't think Jon Jones can beat anybody listed up there. So which LHW's do you think would do really well at HW?

• Upvote 1

Middleweight.

agreed. there's only

Belcher

Silva

Okami

Sonnen

Boetsch

Munoz

Weidman

Palhares

Bisping

Belfort

Stann

HW has

Overeem

Kongo

Hunt

Mir

Nog

Cain

JDS

werdum

nelson

carwin

Russow

Mitrione

Browne

Pretty short list of people hit by Thiago Silva who didn't get knocked the fuck out; that punch that hit Rashad would've knocked out most guys.

not stating as a bad thing you just said only machida and rampage,had to give silva respect

All these guys has no bjj at all of course.Shogun and griffin two guys with heart, brawling striking and decent BJJ that looks like world class grappler when fighting others dude.

is that serious , Rua has no BJJ? he got his fucking Black Belt in 4 years

Bantamweight. Even moreso now with guys dropping to flyweight.

COMPLETELY disagree , most unestablished weight class , best top 5 , worse depth probably , but i'd argue best average of skill and fight excitement

for example

try and tell me one of this guys isn't amazing , beast , underated and exciting?

Cruz , Faber,Torres,Bowles,Benavidez,Barao,Jorgenson,Johnson

Seriously

COMPLETELY disagree , most unestablished weight class , best top 5 , worse depth probably , but i'd argue best average of skill and fight excitement

for example

try and tell me one of this guys isn't amazing , beast , underated and exciting?

Cruz , Faber,Torres,Bowles,Benavidez,Barao,Jorgenson,Johnson

Seriously

Benavidez, Johnson and probably Jorgensen are dropping to 125. That's like half the division right there.