Manager Rankings

ClarkKent

I think we really need a new system, I remember Stu had an idea a while back for how to do it but i can't find it atm. Atm it's pretty confusing and doesnt really reward the better managers in this game.

E.G. If guys like JBomb (ranked 272 in the world), Chris Karter (ranked 266 in the world), and Barnabas Sackett (ranked 227 in the world) can be ranked that poorly in this game when they are know to be great managers (insert Jacky "they bad, they jelly blah blah").And at the same time guys like this http://www.mmatycoon.com/managerprofilemanager.php?MgrID=60676 can be ranked in the top 50 managers is just rediculous, especially when you look at his competition rank and his upcoming fights. This is just an example but some managers are fed wins and can reach insane ranks even though they are only average managers.

All these managers are just examples and there are plenty more, so I think it really is time for a new rankings system. One that really rewards the better managers in this game. Personally i think when a top fighter fights another top fighter, the loss in manager and fighter hype is too high atm. Recently I was ranked in the top 20 managers, lost 5 fights and dropped down to 190th in the world which is crazy to me. Now I'm not complaining, this isnt a rant as I couldnt care less if i was 10th or 1000th with my manager rank, as long as I'm fighting good competition, I'm happy. I just think when you see someone who has mediocre fighters fighting poor competition moving up in rank, while the top guys are battling eachother constantly and suffering HUGE drops in hype when their p4p 10th fighter in the world loses to the p4p 18th fighter in the world is kinda silly.

I'd like to know what everyone thinks and if there are any new ideas for a rankings system.

• Upvote 6

i hate the current manager ranking system, you dont get enough boost for wins (if you are not constantly fighting guys with more hype then your fighter) and losing is punished two heavily. 2 maybe even 3 wins sometimes equates to the amount of spots lost when you lose 1 fight.

i really like the pyramid system because the way it works makes a hell of a lot more sense then the current rankings system imo.

both systems have the same flaw but for different reasons, both 'reward' managers for taking easy fights. since winning is so valued in the pyramid system managers can exploit it by taking their monsters to orgs where they fighters cant be challengers. in the current system, some managers duck any opponent that has a chance of beating their fighter. i dont operate in either way, i take on all comers, even when i only have a punchers chance of winning. but im also losing interest in fighting because winning does not mean anything to me anymore. to move up in this game you almost need to average 4 wins to every loss you have in order to crack the top 100. but then again, i dont know everything so this is just my opinion. if said opinion is wrong its wrong.

When I am ranked inside the top 50 then you know something is wrong :sad01_anim:

To be honest I have no idea how I got highly ranked recently, even when I have lost fights in the last month I have not dropped that badly and a single win has seen me rocket up the rankings which never happened before, still I won't complain and will just enjoy this while it lasts as I have no doubt I will be dropping like a stone again soon!

hype.....hype....hype....seriously people what dont you get about hype! its not manager/fighter ranking, its HYPE, and hype rank. Just as in RL hype can be wrong because its only hype lol. there is nothing wrong with the system of hype i like it just like in RL totally shit managers/fighters can be highly hyped! i love that.

hype.....hype....hype....seriously people what dont you get about hype! its not manager/fighter ranking, its HYPE, and hype rank. Just as in RL hype can be wrong because its only hype lol. there is nothing wrong with the system of hype i like it just like in RL totally shit managers/fighters can be highly hyped! i love that.

I've never seen anyone fight cans and make it up to the top IRL. And just because it's not a manager/fighter ranking, doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect on the actual ranking.

I've never seen anyone fight cans and make it up to the top IRL.

http://www.thefightlounge.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/fedor-emelianenko.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I've never seen anyone fight cans and make it up to the top IRL. And just because it's not a manager/fighter ranking, doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect on the actual ranking.

then you dont watch MMA.

Fedor/Bisping/Mayhem Miller/AO even/Dave Herman/ and many more all guys who fought cans won pretty easy and made there way into being highly hyped/ranked fighters.

There must be some kind of link to the ability levels of the 2 fighters if you want to solve this issue. Take this fight yesterday: http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=442809 My guy Ben Dingdown was the champ and was very highly ranked. I pretty much believe that a champ has to take whatever is thrown at him (save for enormous gaps in hype) so I accepted the fight vs Green, who was ranked about 2000 places below Dingdown in the full knowledge that I would probably lose, which I did. On paper (and in fact as it turned out) Green was a much stronger fighter and his manager was higher ranked (and Blackie is certainly a better manager than me) yet when I innevitably lost my manager ranking was smashed by about 150 points from a level that was already down heavily this month.

This has happened a few times to me this month, which has been a bit of a disaster but it has mainly been because I have taken on very high calibre opponents both in terms of fighters and managers. That is reflected in my opponent ranking which is in the global top 20 and is number 2 in London (2nd only to Russo who has gone innactive). In short losing to much better fighters and or managers should not cause a huge drop in your ranking...If you lose to a fighter with lower skills then that should hit your ranking.

I take your point but in reality most fans know when a fighter has gotten to the top on hype rather than ability and when they lose to a better fighter their hype and rank don't get obliterated. Take the fighters from "The Contenders" series a few years ago in boxing, guys like Manfredo and Gomez got rankings way beyond their skill levels due to their burst of publicity and promoters "convincing" the ranking organisations to stick them in their top 10's. When however Manfredo got punched silly by Calzaghe and Gomez got destroyed by Cotto their standing with fans didn't fall that much as everybody new that the weren't that good to begin with and the ranking Org's kep them ranked quite high for a while because they were good box office.

Didn't Mike all ready implement some kind of script that looks up the skill levels in fights to determine hype? It wasn't that long ago, so we wouldn't see the effects yet.

I get the hype argument but with manager ranking being connected to your ability to get people from the FA list it goes deeper then just a case of 'so what it means nothing'

If the manager rank was of no importance other then bragging rights then I would have no problem with it how it is now, but since it does impact on something in the game it needs to be made as fair as possible.