Accept it or not?

dcm

i guy coming off a loss is the best in the org?

Best in the org? No

Best option in the division? Yes.

Look at the division, who else would you choose? The higher hyped fighters there wouldn't stand a chance. The situation isn't ideal for anyone involved, but I think the offer makes sense considering the options available.

If your declining a fight as a champion because you feel it's too easy/you feel like you don't have anything to gain you're really screwing over the org owner.

To come into a thin division, take the belt and decline fights is pretty rough..

Sometimes these dark horse match ups are unavoidable. People are always cooking fighters so there's going to be the few 12,000p4p beasts that have yet to claim their stake in hype or are severely under ranked.

As a champion I'm all for accepting any fight even if it is totally one sided but that is me. A champion shouldn't duck anyone in the org in the weight class. Now if it is an outside guy that is a little different, but also it your fighter and your choice.

Why should he have to accept a fight vs some random guy with no hype, that is on top of that coming of a loss, when it's far from the #1 contender? I have never declined a fight as a champ but I have also never been in an org that would even consider offering a fight like that.

You have to remember not all orgs are about maximising hype for themselves or fighters for that matter.. For me personally I would much prefer to set up a fight where there isn't some massive mismatch becuase it makes more sense hype wise to ensure a fair fight between 2 fighters, yep that does sometimes mean there is a massive p4p difference between the fighters.

Also I certialy don't subscribe to the theory that the highest hyped fighter has to be the number 1 contender or a title fight can't be made if someone is coming off a loss.. I mean really who says a challenger can't be coming off a loss?? especially if the division is thin.

Personally, as an org owner I would never give someone a title shot who's coming off a loss unless it's an immediate rematch of the previous fight.

If anything, you'd think the the challenger would be complaining. Still not sure why this is an issue for the champ. If I was the champ here, it wouldn't be my preferred fight but I'd accept it no doubt.

Same note different strokes.

I think most people agree on these basic principles

- If your fighter is the champion and the fight offered is reasonable then a manager should accept.

- If, as in the above case, there is reason that the fight is not considered reasonable (especially if the champion is at a big advantage), then the best course of action is to contact the org owner directly. Dialogue between two sides can sort something out if both sides are willing to negotiate.

- If one side or the other is rude, unreasonable or threatening then it time to bring these matters to someone else. Whether that be the forum, chat or a higher power. However both sides of the conversation should be included as both sides can be as bad as each other (this is not related to the above case but a general point).

- In most cases, a reasonable solution can be found and that should be the most important thing to remember.

• Upvote 3

You have to remember not all orgs are about maximising hype for themselves or fighters for that matter.. For me personally I would much prefer to set up a fight where there isn't some massive mismatch becuase it makes more sense hype wise to ensure a fair fight between 2 fighters, yep that does sometimes mean there is a massive p4p difference between the fighters.

Also I certialy don't subscribe to the theory that the highest hyped fighter has to be the number 1 contender or a title fight can't be made if someone is coming off a loss.. I mean really who says a challenger can't be coming off a loss?? especially if the division is thin.

If a challenger is coming of a loss to someone in the org I can't see any way to defend that guy getting the title shot, it just wouldn't make sense. In this case the "challenger" was coming off a loss outside of the org so I could see an argument being made for him still being the #1 contender if he had any kind of hype at all. It's not just slight hype mismatch though, they're not even close. Imo the org owner only had 3 viable solutions: Setting up a "superfight", asking the champ to wait a few weeks while he tries to sign someone or simply releasing him.

The only error the TS made imo was signing to that org in the first place, the competition just isn't there. The same goes for the supposed challenger. Always scout the division properly before signing to an org.

• Upvote 2

Champs should accept any fight offered by the orgs no matter what. Sometimes owners just need the champs to get some easy wins to help develop the orgs hype and income.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Champs should accept any fight offered by the orgs no matter what. Sometimes owners just need the champs to get some easy wins to help develop the orgs hype and income.

The key is that this information should be explained to the manager in question when the fight is issued.

A bad match up (for whatever reason) that comes out of the blue is going to look suspicious or disrespectful or plain confusing.

Keeping up good dialogue with managers, especially those who have champions or contenders, makes the situation much easier.

I agree with you cardiffw, a little communication can go a long way amd avoid confusion and unwarranted accusations.

In old wrestling and small mma orgs in real life, orgs gave the belt to their best (whether by talent or charisma) worker and let them run with it, to help develop the org so it could grow and get better. Not sure about here though....

In my opinion, the org owner and manager should work out a release deal. If the org cannot draw more equally skilled opponents for the fighter, then it was mistake signing him. Not necessarily because the champion should have some preferential treatment or anything, but because the rest of the division are nowhere near that level. The org is doing all managers a disservice in that scenario.

I agree with you cardiffw, a little communication can go a long way amd avoid confusion and unwarranted accusations.

In old wrestling and small mma orgs in real life, orgs gave the belt to their best (whether by talent or charisma) worker and let them run with it, to help develop the org so it could grow and get better. Not sure about here though....

Pro wrestling (cheeky link http://bleacherreport.com/users/751923-cardiff-wanderer) and MMA are obviously booked quite differently. MMA is a sport where anything can happen when two men get in a fight while wrestling has a predetermined outcome. The charisma driven approach of wrestling does not really work in real MMA or in the game.

Many small MMA promotions (at least that I have spoken with) will have a two or three strong divisions where everything is run like a UFC division. I.E The champion fights the guy with the most impressive record (or recent record). In my area this is usually 155, 170 and 205 because there are more men who fit those weight classes.

Then the big shows will be headlined by acts who have fought on higher profile stages (sometimes even former Pride or UFC). They get a token championship match against the local champion. Often the ringer will win and then abandon the belt shortly after. If the company can get a ringer in for one of their weaker divisions (and for some reason, in my experience, this seems to be 185 time and time again) they will agree for the ringer to keep the belt and come back to fight a year or so later (unless they sign with a big company of course).

Unless things have changed massively, this would be the advisable approach to take in Tycoon. Build a few strong divisions of self made fighters and then negotiate with high profile free agents or if your really lucky a larger org to get some one off appearances to give the company an extra little boost.