The League of Leagues 2.0 - Thoughts, Opinions and Signups!

LoL 2.0. Please read the thread before answering.  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What age should fighters be? Should they be allowed to train?

• 18 year olds, training allowed, 6 weeks training time before beginning.
    • 18 year olds, training allowed, 4 weeks training time before beginning.
    • 25 year olds, training allowed, 4 weeks training time before beginning.
    • 25 year olds, training not allowed.
  2. 2. How should the round format in LoL 2.0 be structured? (this refers to rounds in the league, not the # of rounds in a fight)

• Keep it like it was in the first LoL.
    • Small first round, very large second round.
    • Small first round, medium second round, large third round.
  3. 3. Do you want to sign-up for LoL 2.0? (this is an official sign-up!)

• Sure, put me down for this!
    • Nah, I'll pass.
    • Maybe, I'm not 100% sure yet.

Before anything, I always feel like it's best to announce prizes first. It's not set in stone yet but assuming we can do a fairly large number of sign-ups, we'll probably manage to have at least $4 million in prizes!

For those who are new to the League of Leagues, check out the thread for the tournament going on right now!

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29419&st=0#entry352250

In any case, this is a thread for a few thoughts and opinions on the next installment of this tournament as well as a place to get some signups.

Before, I begin, here's a small re-cap of what LoL was like:

64 fighters fought in 8 leagues of 8. The qualifiers are currently fighting in 2 leagues of 10. The guys who come out on top in those leagues will face off in the play-offs to crown the new LoL champion. The winner gets over 2 million in prizes with another 1.5 million which will be awarded to various fighters in the form of various prizes sponsored by community members.

Now, there were tons of good things about the tournament that people loved but there were also a couple of bad things. Namely, bad fighters getting stuck for 7 fights once committed as well as injury/cuts being a problem for many fighters. I'll be assessing 3 things for LoL 2.0 in order to improve all these issues.

1)

Fighter age has been a big question for people and the best way to decide how to move forward is to have a poll. I'll give some insights from my perspective.

18 year olds will grow the most in terms of training but can lead to stale builds early on. These guys have the potential to be superstars after LoL finishes as they will still have time on their side. However, do keep in mind that these guys will have spent the better part of their learning years in weekly fights so honestly, they probably will not be able to become "elite" fighters.

25 year olds are an option if one is to forgo future potential but rather just look at a fighter for LoL purposes. It's better than an 18 year old in the sense that there are more points to play around with and one can see better balanced as well as more varied builds.

A 25 year old with training basically becomes useless after LoL finishes. It's very unlikely for such a fighter to find an org with fair competition afterward. However, if we go the route of a non-training 25 year old, a few possibilities come up. Firstly, they could go towards one of the QFC orgs where they would only fight other 25 year olds without training as well as get paid well. Secondly, successful fighters could decide to participate in future versions of LoL (there will be a big loyalty bonus for fighters who do so obviously, so they will earn quite a bit of a packet doing this as well).

Anyway, thoughts?

2)

The biggest issue with the first version was that a bad fighter could get stuck in the tournament for 7 fights in round 1 making it a pain for the managers. I've come up with 2 solutions to solve this problem:

- First, what could be done is to have a small first round with only 3 fights or so followed by a very large second round. This would make it possible to weed out the really bad fighters early. However, it might take a while for injuries to show up for some fights like it did in the first installment and that would mean they'd be stuck in a massive round 2.

- Second, we could start with a small first round with roughly 3 fights again followed by a medium sized second round with around 5-6 fights followed finally by a large round 3. The total duration should be around the same as the second option but this would enable really terrible fighters to get out early while also allowing guys who develop problems later to get out without getting stuck for insane amounts of time.

3)

The last issue was injury trouble that popped up due to it being weekly fights. This is something we can't do much about really. If we make it 2 weeks between rounds, the tournament will double in duration which would probably make it last half the year. That's simply not practical.

Honestly, the best thing we can do is allow a significant amount of time for fighters to get tested which should allow people to get good injury hiddens. That's something we'll definitely be doing.

Anyway, the plan is to start the tournament in around 6-8 weeks from now at the earliest, so throw out your thoughts at us!

My biggest issue with the first tourney was getting stuck in the long rounds with a bad fighter. I honestly don't know what happened to my fighter Hokey Smeinen, he went from turning in a solid first round to losing all of his round 2 fights so far. I'm up for being in this second tourney as long as there's a chance to get out quicker if your fighter ends up being a huge dud. I think a small first round, medium second round, and large final round would be the best option.

Ok i guess i will put the reasons for my choices.

I chose 18yr old with 6 weeks training before. Basically i chose that one because you would get a fighter with more skills then a 25 yr old starts with anyway, if they were allowed to train during the tourney...they could still get some skills, and at the end of the tourney i could still keep this fighter on my roster and try to make something out of him.

Or i would want 25 yr olds with no training, just because i think it would be cool for guys to be able to do multiple seasons and this would be the only way that is really possible.

I also would like 3 rounds, my fighter started off fast...so the short first round still wouldn't help me once the injury bug hits and i would be stuck for a long time in round 2. I think with 3 rounds it gives guys who end up getting injured every fight a chance to get out and avoid the weekly loss

and you can sign me up

I would be interested in this. When will this kick off?

I also agree with, MrSmokes. I would hate to have a dud of a fighter I couldnt get rid of.

• Downvote 1

To quote the OP:

Anyway, the plan is to start the tournament in around 6-8 weeks from now at the earliest, so throw out your thoughts at us!

It could be done a little before if we go for 25 year old guys. I'll decide after we get a clearer picture of we're doing it using this poll as a base :)

Also, I agree with all the opinions so far, they seem to mirror my own.

And I feel your pain Remora :( Magnus was looking like the best guy in the tournament up till one point.

I answered and thought it meant fighting rounds not league rounds, will answer the rest in a second... just want to point that out.

18 yr old with 6 weeks is the best option for me since 25 yr olds are useless afterwards and really never feel personal for me anyway.

-Since this is a big deal maybe we can ask for special QFC tournament to weed out the duds on creation date.

-The worst fighters can be rewarded for sticking it out.

-Short 3 minute rounds or one 10 minute round? to lose less energy, get less injuries?

will think about more options though these have likely already been considered.

This might seem stupid but I would think a two relatively short rounds would be the best way to to begin these sorts of tournaments.

Hopefully this would weed out bad builds, bad (or off form) managers and with some careful rulings, take the tournament into the geometric sequence without ruling anyone out which may lead to someone relatively new breaking through as a top manager.

• Upvote 1

Count me in again! I really enjoyed the current LoL. My fighter Tripp would have done so much better if he wasn't so injury prone. I voted 18 yr old w/ 6 weeks training. 25 yr old with no training would be my last choice, i don't really like that no training play style but I would still enter a fighter if it went that way.

Part of the real enjoyment I got out of this tourney first time round was it wasn't some training race to create the best beast fighter..

at 25 you get great variety of builds and learning speed of the fighters really means very little...

If this tourney started as 18yo's with 6 weeks to train do you not think that you would have a larger drop out amount due to people getting very shitty rolls for learning speed. Also the other beauty of 25yo's was that if people did drop out you could get a replacement that was going to be overly disadvantages (I think Uriel Sheet in the last one was a late entry to cover a drop out)

• Upvote 2

The last issue was injury trouble that popped up due to it being weekly fights. This is something we can't do much about really. If we make it 2 weeks between rounds, the tournament will double in duration which would probably make it last half the year. That's simply not practical.

Honestly, the best thing we can do is allow a significant amount of time for fighters to get tested which should allow people to get good injury hiddens. That's something we'll definitely be doing.

I would suggest to make the rounds 8 - 9 days apart, that covers almost all "broken hand while winning" injuries as those tend to be 7 - 9 days long at the higher end. These injuries are the most frustrating ones as basically winning a fight makes you lose the next one.

• Upvote 1

I would suggest to make the rounds 8 - 9 days apart, that covers almost all "broken hand while winning" injuries as those tend to be 7 - 9 days long at the higher end. These injuries are the most frustrating ones as basically winning a fight makes you lose the next one.

+1

If there's consensus from others on this, I can get it to happen.

I personally prefer the 25 year old - no training option. If the vote is very close, I'll be going with that solely because this way there's a definite future for the fighters and additionally, it's much easier to find subs who can still compete. Even last time, the only sub able to win a few was Sheet who came in very early (before the tournament even started i think).

The rest couldn't even match up with guys who'd been training for like 3-4 weeks or so. It would probably be ideal if Mike allowed one to make like 28 year olds I tell you :)

ATM it looks like that or 18 year olds with training.

Why out thought? I don't see the big issue with 25 year olds without training?