Life on Mars

MMATycoon

Probably was life on Mars. If there was I don't know why anybody would be surprised, it's as good a place as any I figure. Any nut job that really thinks the earth is the only place with life or any place that ever had or will have life is probably just a few steps removed from wearing a suicide vest.

Good find Mike, I'll be watching this closely. I'd be tickled pink if they came out with solid evidence of past life on Mars becuase we can collectively put to rest the "we are special in the universe" notions and stack that crappy belief system with Zeus's and Unicorns and all the other imaginary friends man has created along the way. This would at least get the ball rolling toward common sense.

• Upvote 3

There are people out there who believe that dinosaur fossils were planted on Earth by the devil in order to shake our faith and that carbon readings are inaccurate or just plain wrong. Don't underestimate human stupidity.

• Upvote 3

Pretty cool but not suprising at all. Someone once said that there is as many stars out there as there are grains of sand in all of earths beaches together. Ofcourse he can't possibly know for sure but try to wrap your head around that and then say that earth must be the only place with life. =)

I once had some Jehovah's Witnesses knock on and ask if I wanted to talk. I said "not right now but come back another time" as I took their leaflet. I read through it and made notes on all the nonsense in it, claiming that evolution was a lie. One thing in there as proof there was no evolution was a blue whale (because their fins are so perfect that they couldn't be accidental).... whales, which have vestigial hind legs... There was all sorts of other stuff about the hydrogen cycle was unique to our planet too, which made zero sense.

Anyway, they kept popping up at the door when I was busy so I kept telling them to come back another time. Eventually I had some time and let them in (on their 3rd or 4th visit), so I calmly explained to them why their booklet was all completely wrong. I didn't do it just to prove them wrong - I actually wanted to understand how the hell they got to their point of view and why they were so intent on fighting against something which has proof.

Their justifiable logic was that if God created it, they wanted to give him credit for it. I said that's fair enough but it does a massive disservice to the most intelligent and worthy people on the planet, who devote their lives to helping us understand the world. I also told them that it was very self important (not in those exact words), to think they knew more about astronomy than an astronomer, or more about biology than a biologist etc. I also tried to get them to see the blindspot in their vision by holding out their finger and closing one eye (whilst explaining the internal workings of your eye and how it's an illogical design) but they refused to do it.

Regarding the hydrogen cycle, I explained how Mars and other planets have evidence of once-flowing water in the form of dried river tributory systems and they said that the scientist who reported that probably had an agenda. (Massively ironic).

It was one of the more memorable experiences I've had. I wish I could have spent a bit longer with them to be honest but ironically for Jehovah's Witnesses they didn't seem to want to stay that long :P I gave them back my booklet with all the notes in and asked them to watch "What Darwin Didn't Know" on youtube. I have no doubt that they'll have gone home and burried their heads in the sand. I have no problem with that but I do have a problem with them going out and being evangelical about creationism, so I hope they kept their head burried and didn't go around pestering people with such vigour.

• Upvote 4

One thing in there as proof there was no evolution was a blue whale (because their fins are so perfect that they couldn't be accidental)

Regarding the hydrogen cycle, I explained how Mars and other planets have evidence of once-flowing water in the form of dried river tributory systems and they said that the scientist who reported that probably had an agenda. (Massively ironic).

Interesting story.

Actually evolution theory is still a theory, and science has a lot to do if they only want get close to prove that some kind of "god" didn't create the earth (or more).

I know Pasteur a famous biologist believed in God here is an article:

http://www.answersin...-pasteurs-views

A lot of persons think the science community reject the hypothesis of a God as a creator, i believe the question is far away to be answered, it looks like a lot of people believe in the darwin theory in the same way christian,muslim... believe in god.

About mars they said they found water and will try to looks for past organics stuff in it.

• Downvote 1

Probably was life on Mars. If there was I don't know why anybody would be surprised, it's as good a place as any I figure. Any nut job that really thinks the earth is the only place with life or any place that ever had or will have life is probably just a few steps removed from wearing a suicide vest.

Good find Mike, I'll be watching this closely. I'd be tickled pink if they came out with solid evidence of past life on Mars becuase we can collectively put to rest the "we are special in the universe" notions and stack that crappy belief system with Zeus's and Unicorns and all the other imaginary friends man has created along the way. This would at least get the ball rolling toward common sense.

A lot of other countries outside of the U.S. pressure the American government to admit that we've made contact with "aliens" persay, or UFO sightings. Some goverments have documentary/informational videos to explain what they are or might be, more along the lines of UFO's though, and not necessarily an organic life form of what they are. Technically, an alien could be a human from another planet.

I agree with you 100% though. You're pretty naive individual to think that Earth is the center of the universe and the galaxy revolves around us.

We're no better than a parasite. The more we grow, the more we fuck shit up, and destroy/pollute this planet. I wouldn't be surprised if we originated from another planet, and the dominant intelligent race/species pushed for our exstinction, then you had some protest from the "pro-human liberal" types.. and they put us on earth as a test, some experiment to see our progress and evolution, and how we'd turn out if we were left all alone.

Of course any theory is as crazy or wild as the next. The possibilities are limitless.

There are people out there who believe that dinosaur fossils were planted on Earth by the devil in order to shake our faith and that carbon readings are inaccurate or just plain wrong. Don't underestimate human stupidity.

People believe in Noah's arc. Hell most of us believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny til we get old enough or catch our parents in the act. Even a kid with down syndrome could find the lack of logic behind that story, because it only takes a lil bit of common sense. 1 point would be that animals eat other animals. Joe Rogan actually does a great job of explaining this in one of his stand up comedy performances, and covers a lot of ground in a comedic/intelligent perspective.

You can brainwash people/kids into believing anything. A few hundred years ago "everbody" knew the Earth was flat.

I once had some Jehovah's Witnesses knock on and ask if I wanted to talk. I said "not right now but come back another time" as I took their leaflet. I read through it and made notes on all the nonsense in it, claiming that evolution was a lie. One thing in there as proof there was no evolution was a blue whale (because their fins are so perfect that they couldn't be accidental).... whales, which have vestigial hind legs... There was all sorts of other stuff about the hydrogen cycle was unique to our planet too, which made zero sense.

I've thought about doing something similar when the religeous zealots knock on my door, and have only had one instance where I've "debated religeon" with them. Props for your method, the way you handled it in an educational manor, but I'm sure they dismissed everything you said with the almighty omnipotant lord and holy savior triumph card, and just assumed you were a sinner filled with blasphemy and a puppet of the devil.

I believe in a creator/or creation of existence. Whatever caused the "beginning" is what I'd aknowledge as God. Not sure who he, she, it, what, where, why, or even how it ever became to be or how it went about it or how it happened... but whatever is responsible for the beginning of existence is what I'd recognize as "God".

One thing I find extremely fascinating, there's this group of people in Asia somewhere, they can retract their pupils so they can see under water, and then there's others who can hold their breath for 20+ minutes. I'm sure I could google it and find it, but all signs point to some form of evolution.

I think there is a chance we come from another planet. Probably was forced off our past planet. Which is what we will likely do in the future. If our planet is every threatened and humanity is at risk. There will never be some spaceship we all jump on and take off to another planet. We dont live long enough for that to happen even if we could fit onto something to carry us. More than likely humans are driven to study the "stars" and biology so we can send our DNA to a planet that is like the earth we have now. Basically a ideal place where the DNA can grow. BUt that still has nothing to do wether there is a god or not. Genesis 2.7 "the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

• Downvote 1

I think there is a chance we come from another planet. Probably was forced off our past planet. Which is what we will likely do in the future. If our planet is every threatened and humanity is at risk. There will never be some spaceship we all jump on and take off to another planet. We dont live long enough for that to happen even if we could fit onto something to carry us. More than likely humans are driven to study the "stars" and biology so we can send our DNA to a planet that is like the earth we have now. Basically a ideal place where the DNA can grow. BUt that still has nothing to do wether there is a god or not. Genesis 2.7 "the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

I've always thought you'd be the backwater religeous, football's for the devil, mother from waterboy type lol.

If the ship was big enough, with enough food, resources, fuel... you could give birth to children on it. A lot more thought could be put into this one from me, but I'll take the lazy way out.

The bible is a morale guide book created by, today's standards, terrorist. In a time where everybody knew the earth was flat. It has been rewritten for generations, centuries, and every bible you pick up is worded differently. the american version of the bible couldn't be more of an inaccurate variation of the original one, created in the Middle East. The first people who colonized America wrote their own version of the bible on their way over here.

• Upvote 1

I am religious. But i put my faith in the bible not man. Regardless of how many times it was translated. If indeed the word of god which i believe it is. The true word and meaning will be revealed when time comes that it is meant to be. Which is why the wording is important. We dont know for sure what exactly s meant by everything in the bible until the time comes. When the meaning is revealed one shouldnt blind themselves from it with old interpretations. For all we know Jesus could have been an Alien. Verses in the bible make it very possible and the bible doesnt come out and say it isnt possible. Everyone interprets the word different but everyone should be open to new revelations to its meanings. Thats my opinion.

Even if man was able to unlock DNA to grow us or whatever. It doesnt mean God isnt the driving force behind it and all other things and what put man in motion. I think we are the only form of intelegent life as far as anything made like us. To much about this world that suggests intelegent life was mean to be here at this specific time. even beyond what is needed for life. I mean like how the moon and sun are at a almost perfect distance to appear the same size. Intelegent man comes along millions of years sooner or millions of years later this wouldnt be the case. Because of it we get a total eclipe which has allowed us to discover the Suns corona. There are countless other examples that suggests we are not only here by design but also here now at this time by design. Wether you believe its god or "evolution" designing it.

• Downvote 1

I am religious. But i put my faith in the bible not man. Regardless of how many times it was translated. If indeed the word of god which i believe it is. The true word and meaning will be revealed when time comes that it is meant to be. Which is why the wording is important. We dont know for sure what exactly s meant by everything in the bible until the time comes. When the meaning is revealed one shouldnt blind themselves from it with old interpretations. For all we know Jesus could have been an Alien. Verses in the bible make it very possible and the bible doesnt come out and say it isnt possible. Everyone interprets the word different but everyone should be open to new revelations to its meanings. Thats my opinion.

Even if man was able to unlock DNA to grow us or whatever. It doesnt mean God isnt the driving force behind it and all other things and what put man in motion. I think we are the only form of intelegent life as far as anything made like us. To much about this world that suggests intelegent life was mean to be here at this specific time. even beyond what is needed for life. I mean like how the moon and sun are at a almost perfect distance to appear the same size. Intelegent man comes along millions of years sooner or millions of years later this wouldnt be the case. Because of it we get a total eclipe which has allowed us to discover the Suns corona. There are countless other examples that suggests we are not only here by design but also here now at this time by design. Wether you believe its god or "evolution" designing it.

To each his own.

religeon is a touchy subject. I rarely will fault a person for his beliefs in a higher power. A series of events in your lifetime, might convince you that there's one out there. You don't come off as a religeous fanatic, and seem to have an open mind accepting possibilities. But personally, I wouldn't put too much thought into the wording of the bible you've read, past it being a morale guide book so we don't live like savages. Since it's most likely the American version. You also have to remember that the bible was created years, if I remember correctly, hundreds of years, after Jesus's death. So it's hard to tell if what's in it was what Jesus was practicing and preaching, or a variation of it. I can damn well gaurentee the shit we could read in American is a massive variation of it. It's like the fish story, or the telephone story, whatever it's called. How the fish keeps gettin bigger and bigger each time. I don't hold any value in any human written book.

I can't explain any of this to you, but I've had many moments in my life where I feel like there's been some kind of divine intervention. Unexplainable, impossible moments. The definition of a miracle. I've also made promises to what very well be a high power that I can't understand, and I never intend on breaking those promises, because for all I know I made a deal with the most sinister, malicious, evil essence out there, and I'm not gonna risk it. While I don't believe in heaven or hell, or the devil, if there is a devil out there, for all I know I accidently made a deal with him, her, it, or whatever it is lol.

Sometimes I feel like we have untapped potential. Be it through some unknown source of energy, something more spiritual, I don't know, but there's been moments in my life where I've honestly been convinced that "God" or some omnipotent force out there has directly intervened with the course of nature to my benefit. I would completely understand if somebody that has seen life through my eyes or walked in my shoes, would believe in the holy version of God... and it wouldn't surprise me if something out there could hear our thoughts, or prayers, whatever. I don't know, but it seems illogical... but it's always possible. There could be 5th dimensional beings out there, that we can't see, that just like fucking with us... sometimes for the greater good, or sometimes being that dude that gets killed by a fuckin coconut falling out of a tree. Hard tellin. Coincidences seem too coincedental at times, but you can't prove anything out to be more than that.

The thing that puts me off the most about the omnipotent Holy version of God who has his hand in day to day life, while I can look at my life and think "oh thank god what a wonderful life", you go across the ocean and look at Africa. It's a fuckin hell hole and it's not just adults suffering, it's children too. You go to places in the middle east, into asia, and it isn't any better. The bad, or evil, in the world, far outweighs the good. The negative triumphs the positive. Yet the people who have it so good, are usually the most negative, spiteful, unappreciative fucks on the planet, who never have enough and always want more.

All that being said, personally, I think the bible is just a morale guidebook to keep people from being better than wild, savage, disgusting, animals, and that the bible has nothing to do with a God, or anything along those lines, even if the holy version of God does exist, I don't believe the bible is related to it what so ever. For thousands of years, (not all, not nearly all, but way too many) the religeous people preaching the holy words of the holy book are the dirtiest, most perverted, disgusting, child touching bastards on the planet... and they often do it in the name of their good lord. Religeon to me, seems more of a means to control the population and keep them in order, hence it being abused as frequently as political positions of power. Much like politics, religeon takes advantage of stupid people... and I believe a good majority of the world population are idiots.

Sometimes I want to say we won't know the answer to this riddle or question til we die, but personally I think once we die, we turn off, we cease to exist. No different than stepping on a bug, or smashing a mosquito... and even if we don't, it doesn't exactly answer our questions. For all we know, our energy could be in some permanent dream state, so even if there's a white bearded man waving his holy crown at the gates of heaven, it could be a figmant of your imagination fueled by the energy that was inside us when we became deceased.

The possibilities are endless.

Edited by CKeppelrun

Anything people believe in can be used against them to manipulate them. Not just religion. People are tricked or con'ed everyday using anything people feel strongly or passionate about. We just saw it in the election from both sides. religion is a belief. Its doesnt make the followers any less effected by the same desires, urges, and flaws that effect everyone human. They just have an extra reason to re to fight it and do right. I also believe they have more guilt for doing wrong and try to make amends in some form or another.

religion is just to give people something to look forward too after death and make them not so fearful of it -- not to mention a money making scam -- like CK mention the bible has changed so many time and there are so many versions and so many different gods that its a joke -- now on divine intervention part CK mentions i do believe in human spirit and feel that is taken for godly actions a lot -- i mean to me if there is a god he is a pos sometimes -- you see stuff like babies born with two heads or major problems issues, and what do you hear well god is testing their faith or he works in mysterious ways -- lmao -- pfft -- just like me i was pretty much dead some years back, docs told everyone to get the family together that i wasnt going to make it -- some say well god was on your side -- lol -- i say god didnt want me and the devil was scared of me so had no where to go -- lol -- truth is i feel my spirit wasnt ready yet -- hard to explain everything i visioned or felt while in that condition (coma) but i never seen no pearly gates or light thats for sure -- i think the saying heaven and hell is here on earth and i believe that

Actually evolution theory is still a theory

False, albeit a common misconception.

science has a lot to do if they only want get close to prove that some kind of "god" didn't create the earth (or more)

Science does not attempt to disprove that a "God" created Earth. Science builds evidence to gain a better understanding of what happened/may have happened, regardless of what the actual outcome may be. Disproving God isn't a possibility as one can always argue that evidence was planted/created, and no matter how far back science is able to "prove," one can always argue that a God was around before that time.

religion is just to give people something to look forward too after death and make them not so fearful of it -- not to mention a money making scam -- like CK mention the bible has changed so many time and there are so many versions and so many different gods that its a joke -- now on divine intervention part CK mentions i do believe in human spirit and feel that is taken for godly actions a lot -- i mean to me if there is a god he is a pos sometimes -- you see stuff like babies born with two heads or major problems issues, and what do you hear well god is testing their faith or he works in mysterious ways -- lmao -- pfft -- just like me i was pretty much dead some years back, docs told everyone to get the family together that i wasnt going to make it -- some say well god was on your side -- lol -- i say god didnt want me and the devil was scared of me so had no where to go -- lol -- truth is i feel my spirit wasnt ready yet -- hard to explain everything i visioned or felt while in that condition (coma) but i never seen no pearly gates or light thats for sure -- i think the saying heaven and hell is here on earth and i believe that

Damn well possible, just depends where you are. I bet the women that are locked in some sick twisted fucks dungeon for 20+ years and used as a sex slave wouldn't disagree with that statement at all. Some crazy statistic like 80% of women in Africa get raped. If there's 10 million women, 8 million are getting raped. Most of them lose their virginity by getting raped. The world is fucked up man. Not to include all the sick fucks here in America. The list is endless. If anybody hasn't seen the documentary, the Ricky Rodriguez Story: Cult Killer - it's a perfect example of how religeon being abused - there's countries in Asia that allow parents to sell their children for sex as long as they pay taxes (and the U.S. invaded Iraq and Afghanastan lol) if this holy God was out there... I'd expect a lot more from him.

Don't get me wrong, there's good aspects to religion (noticed I've been spelling religion religeon lol). It benefits a lot of people. If it keeps my neighbors from raping one another and cutting each others throats over a disagreement, so be it. But I don't agree with a lot of it, and common sense triumps most religious views.

I do like BrainSmasher's input that Jesus might of been alien. The whole virgin Mary story in the bible could of only gone down a few ways:

Either Mary was a whore and fucked some dude on the slide and got pregnant, thus claiming it was God's baby so she didn't get stoned to death.

Joseph was a horny dog and got up in it...

Joseph beat off on her vagina and somehow got her pregnant...

Mary was abducted and inceminated by alien(s)

... or there's always the possibility that God decided he needed to get him some, and knocked her up himself? lol

Can you show some evidence that it not only a theory?

It's a theory the same way the theory of gravity is "only a theory".

For all we know Jesus could have been an Alien. Verses in the bible make it very possible and the bible doesnt come out and say it isnt possible. Everyone interprets the word different but everyone should be open to new revelations to its meanings. Thats my opinion.

The apocryphal gospel of Judas covers this possibility (though it's more about a metaphysical plane than a different planet). Being a gnostic text it probably has very little relevance for most modern Christians though (excluding those insufferable dickheads who call themselves 'Gnostics' in order to feel special). I agree with interpreting the Word, but I just find taking everything in the Bible at face value really grating when Jesus himself used similes, metaphors, analogies etc. to get his message across all the time.

I don't buy this at all, sorry. You're arguing based on Humanity's perceived importance in the cosmos.

To each his own.

religeon is a touchy subject. I rarely will fault a person for his beliefs in a higher power. A series of events in your lifetime, might convince you that there's one out there. You don't come off as a religeous fanatic, and seem to have an open mind accepting possibilities. But personally, I wouldn't put too much thought into the wording of the bible you've read, past it being a morale guide book so we don't live like savages. Since it's most likely the American version. You also have to remember that the bible was created years, if I remember correctly, hundreds of years, after Jesus's death. So it's hard to tell if what's in it was what Jesus was practicing and preaching, or a variation of it. I can damn well gaurentee the shit we could read in American is a massive variation of it. It's like the fish story, or the telephone story, whatever it's called. How the fish keeps gettin bigger and bigger each time. I don't hold any value in any human written book.

I can't explain any of this to you, but I've had many moments in my life where I feel like there's been some kind of divine intervention. Unexplainable, impossible moments. The definition of a miracle. I've also made promises to what very well be a high power that I can't understand, and I never intend on breaking those promises, because for all I know I made a deal with the most sinister, malicious, evil essence out there, and I'm not gonna risk it. While I don't believe in heaven or hell, or the devil, if there is a devil out there, for all I know I accidently made a deal with him, her, it, or whatever it is lol.

Sometimes I feel like we have untapped potential. Be it through some unknown source of energy, something more spiritual, I don't know, but there's been moments in my life where I've honestly been convinced that "God" or some omnipotent force out there has directly intervened with the course of nature to my benefit. I would completely understand if somebody that has seen life through my eyes or walked in my shoes, would believe in the holy version of God... and it wouldn't surprise me if something out there could hear our thoughts, or prayers, whatever. I don't know, but it seems illogical... but it's always possible. There could be 5th dimensional beings out there, that we can't see, that just like fucking with us... sometimes for the greater good, or sometimes being that dude that gets killed by a fuckin coconut falling out of a tree. Hard tellin. Coincidences seem too coincedental at times, but you can't prove anything out to be more than that.

The thing that puts me off the most about the omnipotent Holy version of God who has his hand in day to day life, while I can look at my life and think "oh thank god what a wonderful life", you go across the ocean and look at Africa. It's a fuckin hell hole and it's not just adults suffering, it's children too. You go to places in the middle east, into asia, and it isn't any better. The bad, or evil, in the world, far outweighs the good. The negative triumphs the positive. Yet the people who have it so good, are usually the most negative, spiteful, unappreciative fucks on the planet, who never have enough and always want more.

All that being said, personally, I think the bible is just a morale guidebook to keep people from being better than wild, savage, disgusting, animals, and that the bible has nothing to do with a God, or anything along those lines, even if the holy version of God does exist, I don't believe the bible is related to it what so ever. For thousands of years, (not all, not nearly all, but way too many) the religeous people preaching the holy words of the holy book are the dirtiest, most perverted, disgusting, child touching bastards on the planet... and they often do it in the name of their good lord. Religeon to me, seems more of a means to control the population and keep them in order, hence it being abused as frequently as political positions of power. Much like politics, religeon takes advantage of stupid people... and I believe a good majority of the world population are idiots.

Sometimes I want to say we won't know the answer to this riddle or question til we die, but personally I think once we die, we turn off, we cease to exist. No different than stepping on a bug, or smashing a mosquito... and even if we don't, it doesn't exactly answer our questions. For all we know, our energy could be in some permanent dream state, so even if there's a white bearded man waving his holy crown at the gates of heaven, it could be a figmant of your imagination fueled by the energy that was inside us when we became deceased.

The possibilities are endless.

If the Bible isn't the word of God it's almost useless as a moral guideline in my eyes, because it contains some really vile things (Romans 1-2 or so condemning almost everyone, Leviticus 20:13 telling us to put homosexuals to death for their "sins" etc).

In the early church immediately following the ascent of Jesus into heaven, they believed that the end of days and His return was more or less imminent, so they didn't bother writing anything down. Decades passed, however, and Jesus didn't return, so they started writing His teachings down. Hundreds of vastly different gospels probably existed up until the Bible got canonized in the latter half of the 4th century. From a Christian point of view it wouldn't "just" be a man-made book, though, because the evangelists were under divine influence.

We've all done this. It's a very human way of coping with situations that are beyond our control.

God doesn't have enough time to hear our prayers these days, mate. He's too busy systematically murdering African babies.

You have a very Marxist view on religion, so we share that lol.

Anything people believe in can be used against them to manipulate them. Not just religion. People are tricked or con'ed everyday using anything people feel strongly or passionate about. We just saw it in the election from both sides. religion is a belief. Its doesnt make the followers any less effected by the same desires, urges, and flaws that effect everyone human. They just have an extra reason to re to fight it and do right. I also believe they have more guilt for doing wrong and try to make amends in some form or another.

I agree with most of it. I do however disagree with your assumption that religious people have a stronger moral compass, feel more guilt about being dicks and are more likely to try and fix what they messed up.

"An atheist is just somebody who feels about Yahweh the way any decent Christian feels about Thor or Baal or the golden calf. As has been said before, we are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Damn well possible, just depends where you are. I bet the women that are locked in some sick twisted fucks dungeon for 20+ years and used as a sex slave wouldn't disagree with that statement at all. Some crazy statistic like 80% of women in Africa get raped. If there's 10 million women, 8 million are getting raped. Most of them lose their virginity by getting raped. The world is fucked up man. Not to include all the sick fucks here in America. The list is endless. If anybody hasn't seen the documentary, the Ricky Rodriguez Story: Cult Killer - it's a perfect example of how religeon being abused - there's countries in Asia that allow parents to sell their children for sex as long as they pay taxes (and the U.S. invaded Iraq and Afghanastan lol) if this holy God was out there... I'd expect a lot more from him.

Don't get me wrong, there's good aspects to religion (noticed I've been spelling religion religeon lol). It benefits a lot of people. If it keeps my neighbors from raping one another and cutting each others throats over a disagreement, so be it. But I don't agree with a lot of it, and common sense triumps most religious views.

I do like BrainSmasher's input that Jesus might of been alien. The whole virgin Mary story in the bible could of only gone down a few ways:

Either Mary was a whore and fucked some dude on the slide and got pregnant, thus claiming it was God's baby so she didn't get stoned to death.

Joseph was a horny dog and got up in it...

Joseph beat off on her vagina and somehow got her pregnant...

Mary was abducted and inceminated by alien(s)

... or there's always the possibility that God decided he needed to get him some, and knocked her up himself? lol

If the only thing that keeps your neighbors from raping and pillaging each other is fearing for their own immortal soul, you live next to some fucked up people.

Actually Mary being a virgin is a result of a translation error of Isaiah 7:14 from hebrew to greek, and trying to fulfill said prophecy (http://www.biblegate...14&version=KJ21). In the original hebrew text the world "almah" is used, which means "young woman". Because most young, unmarried women were virgins and "almah" was used interchangably with "virgin" in the Tanakh it ended up being translated to "virgin", though.

Joseph banging her would ruin the whole "Son of God" thing though, and just make Jesus (at best) the Jewish Messiah.

I have a hangover so please point out if I missed something or didn't make myself clear.

False, albeit a common misconception.

Science does not attempt to disprove that a "God" created Earth. Science builds evidence to gain a better understanding of what happened/may have happened, regardless of what the actual outcome may be. Disproving God isn't a possibility as one can always argue that evidence was planted/created, and no matter how far back science is able to "prove," one can always argue that a God was around before that time.

1)What's false ? Nothing i've said.

2)that's what i say, science try to explain stuff and will never be able to explain everything, some physics guys already developed a theory that there is more than 4 dimensions, as we can't understand them we are already fucked up.

http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c705204/pdf/kaluza-1921.pdf

• Downvote 1

Actually Mary being a virgin is a result of a translation error of Isaiah 7:14 from hebrew to greek, and trying to fulfill said prophecy (http://www.biblegate...14&version=KJ21). In the original hebrew text the world "almah" is used, which means "young woman". Because most young, unmarried women were virgins and "almah" was used interchangably with "virgin" in the Tanakh it ended up being translated to "virgin", though.

I was about to post this so just gunna quote it for emphasis :)

I've watched a lot of stuff about mistranslations and the evolution of the bible story. Much of it is pinched from a previous prophet story about someone called Mythras I believe. The birthday, much of the story etc was changed to copy this guy's story.

I would never want to convince anyone not to believe in God or whatever religion they believe - I think it's would be much simpler to just believe in God. I also think it's important to not allow religious fundamentalists to put down science though, which is why I did what I did with those JWs... I think science is 1000x more fascinating and amazing than anything that religion has come up with. Quantum Physics for example, is absolutely bonkers - I'd recommend watching a program that was on BBC4 called "Atom by Jim Al-Khalili". I just tried to find it on YouTube but it wasn't there unfortunately. You can find it as a torrent if you wanna risk that though.

As for evolution being a theory, technically it is a theory... but then that's only a technical scientific definition. Very little in life isn't a theory. Only when something can be unequivocally proved, like Trigonometry, is something classed as a theorem.

2)that's what i say, science try to explain stuff and will never be able to explain everything, some physics guys already developed a theory that there is more than 4 dimensions, as we can't understand them we are already fucked up.

http://homepage.uibk...kaluza-1921.pdf

That's the best bit about science though... always trying to look for more.

In my opinion that's all that religion was trying to do when it was created - at the time it was just the most sensible and logical explanation as to how things happened. If you read genesis it says things like "God created land between the seas below and the seas above" or something like that. Sky looks like it's a sea that you can't reach - it's pretty logical to guess that. It's full of things like that.

I don't think there was necessarily any malice in the creation of religions, though I'm sure there was plenty of corruption within certain motivations. But there is often malice in the desire to preserve out of date logic... What was once logic is just now flat out wrong and I have a real problem with the attempt to push creationism or similar, over important scientific developments like the theory of evolution. If anyone wants to push creationism they shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose and readily accept e.g. medication developed through the understanding of genetics; a field that helps prove evolution. Go rub leaves on your face and see if that cures you.

I was about to post this so just gunna quote it for emphasis :)

I've watched a lot of stuff about mistranslations and the evolution of the bible story. Much of it is pinched from a previous prophet story about someone called Mythras I believe. The birthday, much of the story etc was changed to copy this guy's story.

I would never want to convince anyone not to believe in God or whatever religion they believe - I think it's would be much simpler to just believe in God. I also think it's important to not allow religious fundamentalists to put down science though, which is why I did what I did with those JWs... I think science is 1000x more fascinating and amazing than anything that religion has come up with. Quantum Physics for example, is absolutely bonkers - I'd recommend watching a program that was on BBC4 called "Atom by Jim Al-Khalili". I just tried to find it on YouTube but it wasn't there unfortunately. You can find it as a torrent if you wanna risk that though.

As for evolution being a theory, technically it is a theory... but then that's only a technical scientific definition. Very little in life isn't a theory. Only when something can be unequivocally proved, like Trigonometry, is something classed as a theorem.

Christianity, like every other religion out there, stole like a raven from more established ones in order to fit in (sort of like a social parasite). The winter solistice being the time of birth for Christ, the resurrection is more or less a cut-and-paste of a story about Ra and Osiris if memory serves (not to mention Balder ascending death in norse mythology), just from the top of my head.

I heard a quote I really like fairly recently. Being religious is like having a penis; it's natural to have one and okay to be proud of it, but don't force it down my throat.

Yeah, it blows my mind every time I read about evolutionary biology or stuff like that. Encountering Carl Sagan and his ideas as a young adult changed my world view forever.

That's the best bit about science though... always trying to look for more.

In my opinion that's all that religion was trying to do when it was created - at the time it was just the most sensible and logical explanation as to how things happened. If you read genesis it says things like "God created land between the seas below and the seas above" or something like that. Sky looks like it's a sea that you can't reach - it's pretty logical to guess that. It's full of things like that.

I don't think there was necessarily any malice in the creation of religions, though I'm sure there was plenty of corruption within certain motivations. But there is often malice in the desire to preserve out of date logic... What was once logic is just now flat out wrong and I have a real problem with the attempt to push creationism or similar, over important scientific developments like the theory of evolution. If anyone wants to push creationism they shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose and readily accept e.g. medication developed through the understanding of genetics; a field that helps prove evolution. Go rub leaves on your face and see if that cures you.

Almost every single religion has a creation myth (Christianity and Judaism even have two, the selfish bastards), so that's a fair assumption. The Sumerian creation myth is for example really similar to the story about Noah's ark.

There probably wasn't any malice to begin with, but something that gives you that much power over people is bound to corrupt and twist your intentions eventually. I honestly think advertising shit like homeopathy as a viable alternative to medicine should be outlawed though (so should marketing Aikido as a self defense art but that's another discussion alltogether).

1)What's false ? Nothing i've said.

You claimed that a scientific theory was just a theory, when in fact, the definition of a scientific theory is absolutely not the same as the definition for the word theory. They are two entirely separate concepts with definitions that do not align with each other. The word theory being a part of the phrase "scientific theory" is rather misleading.

This is also false. Science absolutely can explain everything. The knowledge that we can express through science currently is greatly held back by human knowledge/culture. Just because humans cannot yet use science to explain something does not mean that it cannot be explained through science.

Even manipulations made by a god can be explained through science if the proper evidence was given. Science itself does not dispute a god, there is simply no evidence to suggest one exists at the moment.