What to do about arenas?

MMATycoon

I like the houses and cars idea. I think it woud be cool if there were different leevls of them that helped morale and maybe even confidence. Myabe houses help morale, cars help confidence. Maybe Mike could even come up with something that helps each hidden, who knows. I could see a lot of options with the things he could do. Maybe make the houses and cars very helpful the bigger and more expensive you get, but take a big morale or confidence hit if you lost them (in a scenerio where you pay payments).

I like the houses and cars idea. I think it woud be cool if there were different leevls of them that helped morale and maybe even confidence. Myabe houses help morale, cars help confidence. Maybe Mike could even come up with something that helps each hidden, who knows. I could see a lot of options with the things he could do. Maybe make the houses and cars very helpful the bigger and more expensive you get, but take a big morale or confidence hit if you lost them (in a scenerio where you pay payments).

I'd love this idea as well, but for the "purists" who can't get behind it, I think it is best to make these sort of possessions meaningless. That way the people who don't like it can ignore it and not get punished for it.

Was just thinking about this today - how about having arenas that aren't open all the time? If we can't have the same arenas in all cities, maybe we have larger (40k ish) arenas that are open every 4th week or so, in each city.

This would be in conjunction with reducing the LA capacity.

• Upvote 2

Was just thinking about this today - how about having arenas that aren't open all the time? If we can't have the same arenas in all cities, maybe we have larger (40k ish) arenas that are open every 4th week or so, in each city.

This would be in conjunction with reducing the LA capacity.

No lets just add mega arenas. LA is over booked atm.

• Downvote 3

No lets just add mega arenas. LA is over booked atm.

No. Let's get rid of all mega arenas. The event ratings are bloated and meaningless. The profits are grotesque and saturated. Unless there is a mega arena in every city, it is patently unfair to bigger orgs without the arena. While you're at it, slash the effect of advertising on event ratings, it only serves to further dilute the meaning of event ratings.

This entire thread feels like political maneuvering to obtain something that you (not you specifically MegaJug, but the collective you) want. I've been there. I've done that. I know about the political maneuvering to get what you want. What I know without a scintilla of personal interest in the outcome of this thread is that mega-arenas are bad for the game. Period.

And a 40k arena is almost as bad as the 93k arena, especially if its only in a few select cities for a select period of time. At the current rate, orgs will be hitting 1000 event ratings in Tokyo sized arenas in less than 6 months.

• Upvote 3

No. Let's get rid of all mega arenas. The event ratings are bloated and meaningless. The profits are grotesque and saturated. Unless there is a mega arena in every city, it is patently unfair to bigger orgs without the arena. While you're at it, slash the effect of advertising on event ratings, it only serves to further dilute the meaning of event ratings.

This entire thread feels like political maneuvering the obtain something that you (not you specifically MegaJug, but the collective you) want. I've been there. I've done that. I know about the political maneuvering to get what you want. What I know without a scintilla of personal interest in the outcome of this thread is that mega-arenas are bad for the game. Period.

And a 40k arena is almost as bad as the 93k arena, especially if its only in a few select cities for a select period of time. At the current rate, orgs will be hitting 1000 event ratings in Tokyo sized arenas in less than 6 months.

Whatever it is the playing field needs to be even. So add or get rid, just even the playing field. Ya feel me?

• Upvote 1

This entire thread feels like political maneuvering the obtain something that you (not you specifically MegaJug, but the collective you) want. I've been there. I've done that. I know about the political maneuvering to get what you want. What I know without a scintilla of personal interest in the outcome of this thread is that mega-arenas are bad for the game. Period.

I lied, I'm back. ^This.

This entire thread feels like political maneuvering to obtain something that you (not you specifically MegaJug, but the collective you) want. I've been there. I've done that. I know about the political maneuvering to get what you want. What I know without a scintilla of personal interest in the outcome of this thread is that mega-arenas are bad for the game. Period.

Sorry Gable, but respectfully, you can only speak for yourself. The only political maneuvering I've seen is people asking for the arena in their city, and that is only fair. Like I stated earlier, 40k arenas across the board is fine with me, but they need to be on every city! Not LA and 1 in Europe. That isn't fair to our org. Empire. We already have people complaining, and rightfully so, that they signed to fight in NY, not LA. That hurts our ability to compete with the other orgs.

As for the big arena I've laid out perfectly reasonable reasons why they should stay and money sinks should be addressed. I've stated that even if its changed to 40k arenas money sinks still need to be addressed. Ive also pointed out that the gap between big orgs and small orgs isn't the arena itself, but the hardship in getting PPVs to work. All this is constantly ignored, so by all means continue to fuck the game up. Ill sit here and shake my head in disbelief like I did when tickers went in.

• Downvote 1

Sorry Gable, but respectfully, you can only speak for yourself. The only political maneuvering I've seen is people asking for the arena in their city, and that is only fair. Like I stated earlier, 40k arenas across the board is fine with me, but they need to be on every city! Not LA and 1 in Europe. That isn't fair to our org. Empire. We already have people complaining, and rightfully so, that they signed to fight in NY, not LA. That hurts our ability to compete with the other orgs.

As for the big arena I've laid out perfectly reasonable reasons why they should stay and money sinks should be addressed. I've stated that even if its changed to 40k arenas money sinks still need to be addressed. Ive also pointed out that the gap between big orgs and small orgs isn't the arena itself, but the hardship in getting PPVs to work. All this is constantly ignored, so by all means continue to fuck the game up. Ill sit here and shake my head in disbelief like I did when tickers went in.

I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself. I haven't owned an org for like 4 months or so. I have no vested interest in the outcome other than the vested interest I have in this game. I don't need to politic or pander. I've done that before. In fact, I did that the last time a major arena discussion came up. I don't need to do it anymore.

I've never said anything about inequities. To the contrary, my position has been to be fair, equal and blunt. Every city gets a 20k arena and that's it. Nothing higher. It's fair to everyone across the board without question.

For me, it's a matter of integrity of records. I care very little for money. There is nothing to spend money on. Whether there is a 93k arena or 20k arena which is accessible to each major org, they will all generally be earning the same amount and it is up to them to compete for the best fighters. The best fighters and managers are generally wise and want to fight the best competition. This is why I believe there is so little turnover in top orgs. Until meaningful sinks with tangible benefits are introduced, money means nothing for fighters.

Three things have contributed to bloated event ratings. 1) The newer way the event ratings are calculated; 2) the (ab)use of the LA arena; and 3) the abuse of advertising. Look, at the end of the day, I want to look at an event rating and know that it was the best damned event ever or it wasn't. Right now, that isn't the case. Not even close. The LA arena alone adds what? 200-250 points to an event rating? I'm just asking that it all becomes flat and even. It's a simple and easy fix.

Getting started on PPVs today is cake. It was hard in the beginning when we operated under the old event rating calculation. There are probably at least 20 orgs today that could start running regular PPVs, but they are just too afraid to try or lack the knowledge to do it.

I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself. I haven't owned an org for like 4 months or so. I have no vested interest in the outcome other than the vested interest I have in this game. I don't need to politic or pander. I've done that before. In fact, I did that the last time a major arena discussion came up. I don't need to do it anymore.

I've never said anything about inequities. To the contrary, my position has be fair, equal and blunt. Every city gets a 20k arena and that's it. Nothing higher. It's fair to everyone across the board without question.

For me, it's a matter of integrity of records. I care very little for money. There is nothing to spend money on. Whether there is a 93k arena or 20k arena which is accessible to each major org, they will all generally be earning the same amount and it is up to them to compete for the best fighters. The best fighters and managers are generally wise and want to fight the best competition. This is why I believe there is so little turnover in top orgs. Until meaningful sinks with tangible benefits are introduced, money means nothing for fighters.

Three things have contributed to bloated event ratings. 1) The newer way the event ratings are calculated; 2) the (ab)use of the LA arena; and 3) the abuse of advertising. Look, at the end of the day, I want to look at an event rating and know that it was the best damned event ever or it wasn't. Right now, that isn't the case. Not even close. The LA arena alone adds what? 200-250 points to an event rating? I'm just asking that it all becomes flat and even. It's a simple and easy fix.

Getting started on PPVs today is cake. It was hard in the beginning when we operated under the old event rating calculation. There are probably at least 20 orgs today that could start running regular PPVs, but they are just too afraid to try or lack the knowledge to do it.

I dont totally disagre with what you say Gable. I totally understand where you are coming from. Im just saying when you say....

"This entire thread feels like political maneuvering to obtain something that you (not you specifically MegaJug, but the collective you) want. I've been there. I've done that. I know about the political maneuvering to get what you want."

That isnt what is going on past asking for the arenas in eevry city. The point Ive been making about keeping the big arena would benefit everyone. The point Im also making istehre are larger issues in the system that hinder small orgs. besides big arenas. Also the money going into the system isnt going to change by nerfing the big arenas because the big orgs still make money, pay big money, and flow cash into the system. That issue has to be addressed another way.

As for it being easier to get into PPVs that is a total false statement. Ive assisted 3 orgs recently in setting up new their first ppvs and they all were blowing their wad on one event. All were second tier orgs too. They arent making that much profit to get into the PPV game. It takes millions of dollars in loss. Gable, you of all people should know that. To do it the fast way you have to jack up your commentators, cameras, and run them close together. Even by boosting the advertising its still gonna cost you a ton. A ton people do not have. Every org I helped set itup only had money to to it one time, and like I said they were in that second tier.

• Downvote 1

93K arena's shouldn't generate the amount of money that they do. Unless you have the top 20 fighters facing each other, or passing out 40k+ free tickets, it should be next to impossible to fill that arena. I think the fighter's popularity hidden should have a lot more of a role to selling tickets than it does (not sure if that's the case now or not, just stating it) and the system prolly needs re-worked in general.

93K arena's used to be the place that people went once a year for some huge event, now it's a multi-weekly thing... and it shouldn't be. It should go back to losing money for 93K arena's. Event rating should still be achievable, but the money generated there should be very limited. I think IRL PRIDE holds the record for attendance? With what 50K or something like that?

Not 100% sure, and not sure how orgs and their ratings work in this game, but I think it needs toned down big time. Running PPV's should generate money when done properly, and you should be able to reach that "UFC level" where you're becoming a tycoon millionaire. Didn't reach the top over-night, but the #'s and records, all the stats going into these events we're seeing lately seem largely inflated for the fighters appearing on the cards.

Edited by CKeppelrun
  • Upvote 1

93K arena's shouldn't generate the amount of money that they do. Unless you have the top 20 fighters facing each other, or passing out 40k+ free tickets, it should be next to impossible to fill that arena. I think the fighter's popularity hidden should have a lot more of a role to selling tickets than it does (not sure if that's the case now or not, just stating it) and the system prolly needs re-worked in general.

They dont. If you do not have a pile of studs on it you lose profits compared to smaller arenas. We make more with small events in NY than in LA. However, the piled up events make a ton. Especially if you chain them together properly.

• Downvote 1

They dont. If you do not have a pile of studs on it you lose profits compared to smaller arenas. We make more with small events in NY than in LA. However, the piled up events make a ton. Especially if you chain them together properly.

http://www.mmatycoon...php?EvID=757510

That card has 8 fighters ranked outside the top 1000 P4P and none ranked in the Top 10. They should be losing a lot of money on that event (unless all the fighters are tied down to North Korean communist slave contracts), and at best I think maybe 40-50K people would show up to watch it.

Nevermind...not sure if this is accurate or not on attendence levels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_events

But at the peak, the #1 company should be having an attendence similar to the UFC's. 20K arena's make sense, but I think there should be bigger arenas that boost event rating, but eat your cash and be damn near impossible to generate a profit (i.e. LA Colloseum)

Edited by CKeppelrun
  • Downvote 1

http://www.mmatycoon...php?EvID=757510

That card has 8 fighters ranked outside the top 1000 P4P and none ranked in the Top 10. They should be losing a lot of money on that event (unless all the fighters are tied down to North Korean communist slave contracts), and at best I think maybe 40-50K people would show up to watch it.

How many people show up at the UFC events? Seen something like GSP vs Shields brought in 50K? Guess that's something I should look into.

Ill give you an example.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/orgeventpublic.php?EvID=755957

Profit/Loss: $245,383

That is with a low ass payroll too. However we did make some back due to running in LA arena and we havent booked back up in it. Also it passed on high rating to help the next event too.

• Downvote 1

Ill give you an example.

http://www.mmatycoon...php?EvID=755957

Profit/Loss: $245,383

That is with a low ass payroll too. However we did make some back due to running in LA arena and we havent booked back up in it. Also it passed on high rating to help the next event too.

In no way, shape, or form should you be making a profit in the LA with those fighters on the card (no offense to those fighters, judging from P4P rank). I don't think that arena should be packed unless you gave out 40K + free tickets.

In no way shape or form should you be making a profit in the LA Colloseum with those fighters on the card (no offense to those fighters, judging from P4P rank)

You might be right, but based off the current game play we didnt make much. If we made profits like that weekly Chuck and I would be living in a van down by the river :P Although Ill remind you that it was based off fighter value, not just hype. Matae has a high value popularity, so it actually made the headliner a decent value, but still a low card for us for sure. The profit did reflect that low value. Its not liek we can throw a crap card on there and make 5 million dollars or something is all im saying.

Crapish Card on DR in a 14k Arena. Profit/Loss: $2,115,332

Most recent card in the big arena

Profit/Loss: $1,823,499

Card in the Tokyo Dome two weeks ago

Profit/Loss: $2,088,738

Profits barely differ. A crap event on DR makes the same amount as the big arena. Also you get the money back from the arena. So in actual fact its 3mil profit in some cases.

Crapish Card on DR in a 14k Arena. Profit/Loss: $2,115,332

Most recent card in the big arena

Profit/Loss: $1,823,499

Card in the Tokyo Dome two weeks ago

Profit/Loss: $2,088,738

Profits barely differ. A crap event on DR makes the same amount as the big arena. Also you get the money back from the arena. So in actual fact its 3mil profit in some cases.

LOL Thats all in how the events are ordered. Not to mention the money back from the arena for you goes back out into an arena so its not profit.

You might be right, but based off the current game play we didnt make much. If we made profits like that weekly Chuck and I would be living in a van down by the river :P Although Ill remind you that it was based off fighter value, not just hype. Matae has a high value popularity, so it actually made the headliner a decent value, but still a low card for us for sure. The profit did reflect that low value. Its not liek we can throw a crap card on there and make 5 million dollars or something is all im saying.

I honestly don't have much of a place in this discussion, because I don't run an org. Just an opinion really, I just think 93K arena's should be damn near impossible to generate profit with.. it should be an orgs money sink for shooting for the stars and trying to break event records like it used to be.

• Upvote 1