Is the in game pbp commentator reliable?

I wasn't able to find an answer for this, I basically wanted to know how reliable the comments of the in game pbp commentator are. For example, from a fight which ended in a draw:

"I think Warfist has won this one but let's see whether the judges agree with me."

Does this mean that all things being fair and the judges being correct, Warfist would win the fight? I.e. from a statistical 'fight metric' approach he won, but only the fallibility of the judges led to the fight being scored a draw? Or is the commentator fallible and liable to make mistakes as well?

Short answer, no.

It's flavor text, not reliable at all.

The statistics after the fight, they are reliable.

The stats don't show how much damage was thrown nor are they broken down round by round. They essentially show volume and accuracy so they can be misleading.

• Upvote 1

Is this actually verified anywhere, or just your opinion? I don't recall actually seeing anything official confirming this previously.

There are heaps of fights out there where a guy takes a shot which in flavour text leaves him "unphased" or whatever and the next thing you see "he's rocked". Seems a pretty fair viewpoint.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there.

Yes, it is generally accepted that the in-fight commentary is flavour text, for the reason you've already stated. However, I was referring to the original question (and assuming that was actually the question Grasman answered), which was asking about the commentator's verdict on each round/the overall fight.

Unless confirmed otherwise, I see no reason to assume that because the fight commentary is flavour text then the commentator's judgement must also be only flavour.

They screwed my Warfist :P great fight though overall

I have to say that although you're a top manager, I expected to win it due to the big difference in IDs. Really impressive how he performed bearing that in mind, obviously a good prospect. If they both come through their next fights I'd be happy to have a rematch!

The stats don't show how much damage was thrown nor are they broken down round by round. They essentially show volume and accuracy so they can be misleading.

It's pretty obvious to me, that the guy who lands 10 strikes in the fight, and wins, used more damage than his opponent who landed 60 and lost.

You can also count the hits round by round in the flavor text.

It's flavor text to the "description" extent... a punch landed in the text is actually reliable, but how etc... is flavor.

You can have a fighter set at 90% accuracy, while on 100% FO, but you will still see flavor text like "landing heavy blows etc.."

It's pretty obvious to me, that the guy who lands 10 strikes in the fight, and wins, used more damage than his opponent who landed 60 and lost.

You can also count the hits round by round in the flavor text.

It's flavor text to the "description" extent... a punch landed in the text is actually reliable, but how etc... is flavor.

You can have a fighter set at 90% accuracy, while on 100% FO, but you will still see flavor text like "landing heavy blows etc.."

I understand what you are saying now. Like all of these examples:

Mayer's hands are dropping dangerously low here and Blackford connects clean with a right hook that sends him down to one knee! Mayer scrambles back to his feet.

Mayer cracks Blackford with a nice right hand that draws applause from the crowd.

Boom, another hit is landed. "You're gunna get knocked out" taunts Blackford, as that shot connected.

McDermot takes a big uppercut there. He seems a bit wobbly but no, he's OK.

Fett is pinned up against the cage taking some big shots here. The referee is looking closely deciding whether he should stop the fight.

Although they sound a little more significant due to the description of the blow, they are pretty much the same as any other flavor text that describes a simple blow landing.

What the OP was asking I think, was whether or not the decision the announcer gives at the end of the fight is credible or not. The judges were programmed to have different levels of competence while the announcer has seemed to be pretty consistent. The level of accuracy in the announcers post fight judgement can only be answered by Mike, but I feel it's consistency gives it a little more weight than an official judges decision because rating the scoring accuracy of the official judges would be too difficult and time consuming.

What the OP was asking I think, was whether or not the decision the announcer gives at the end of the fight is credible or not. The judges were programmed to have different levels of competence while the announcer has seemed to be pretty consistent. The level of accuracy in the announcers post fight judgement can only be answered by Mike, but I feel it's consistency gives it a little more weight than an official judges decision because rating the scoring accuracy of the official judges would be too difficult and time consuming.

Exactly the point I was making. I'm fairly sure that the commentator's scoring is accurate. However, whether his end of fight decision is the "correct" one depends on whether he can discern 10-8 rounds, I guess. I'm fairly sure there would be potential for inaccuracies in a 'whole fight' scoring fight, as I expect his final decision is based on his 10 point must calls during the fight.

The announcer is either 1) mostly correct or 2) always correct. If 2) is true, then the announcer is correct and the judges sometimes get it wrong. We know that the judges are programmed to get it wrong sometimes, but that does not mean the announcer cannot be wrong too.

Without actually counting, I think the announcer and judges agree about 90-95% of the time, which at least shows that he is mostly correct.