UFC 162: Silva vs Weidman

Haven't been this excited for an event in a while. Always look forward to seeing Anderson Silva fight and Chris Weidman seems like a great test for Anderson Silva. The card just has loads of quality in it. The Facebook prelims are probably the only two that I'm not interested in. The rest of the card has at least one fighter fighting that I'm interested in watching.

What do you guys think? Do you think Chris Weidman's going to win?

• Upvote 1

Weidman is overhyped, he is not nearly as good as the hype he is getting, and the only top MW he has beaten to get the shot is Maia who is no longer a MW. His chin has not been tested properly yet. So it's arguable if he even deserves the shot other than for the fact to see if anyone can beat Anderson in the octagon, but so is the nature of the sport. He is coming in at 9-0 which is what gets good PPV buy rates. I think Weidman has a chance to win for the fact of being a wrestler, and that is Anderson's weakness. But I strongly believe Anderson will win.

• Upvote 1

I've been saying for a while that I don't believe Weidman deserves a shot yet. I think he still needed at least one more top contender, but considering nobody else really deserves a shot right now/at the time..........Weidman it is.

• Upvote 1

The thing that I hate when people say is Weidman s going to win because he is like Sonnen with submissions. I do believe Weidman is better than Sonnen but the reason Sonen did well against Silva was because he went right after Anderson aggressively and never let him get comfortable, if Weidman sits back and tries to set up a shot and lets Anderson get his timing he is done. He needs to have a Sonnen-esque gameplan to get this to the ground or he is getting destroyed. I like Weidman and think he will be champ one day but if he wants to beat Anderson he has to go right after him from the opening bell ala Sonnen or I hink he gits TKO'd in the 2nd round.

• Upvote 2

I too agree that hes overrated but folks this is mma and i know its cliche but anything can happen. Imo his striking is poor okay he landed an.elbow but other than that his poor striking leads right into silvas hands

If I'm honest, I haven't watched too many of his fights but it looked like he completely destroyed Mark Muñoz and both of them we're fighting for the #1 contender spot. Tim Boetsch looked like he could have been a potential challenger until he got beat by Costa Philippou. Will be interesting to see who wins the fight between Boetsch and Muñoz because the winner could be a potential challenger for the MW title in the future. Think it's great that Ronaldo Souza is now in the UFC's MW division, it should make it a bit more competitive instead of having the same people competing for the title.

He almost subbed Galvao in a pure grappling competition after ONE YEAR OF BJJ TRAINING. Chew on that for a little. Weidman is legit.

Really wow. I read as well that Roger Gracie said he could sub out world class grapplers including gracie himself so his grappling is good

But...

Its mma not bjj

2009....fast forward 4 yrs of bjj.

also that was after 1 yrs of training

He doesnt even look that bad in this tournament just that its only graplling I dont think Anderson would do a lot more better against Vinny. Look up GSP grappling tournament videos and you will understand what I am talking about but this is MMA the best BJJ player Marcelo was put to sleep fast. Anderson is well know for his pure striking and Weidman will find out that reall soon stop even think about his ground game. If he goins to ground he is going there out.

He almost subbed Galvao in a pure grappling competition after ONE YEAR OF BJJ TRAINING. Chew on that for a little. Weidman is legit.

Disclosure: I haven't seen the match. Wrestlers tend to develop quickly in submission grappling, especially when it comes to taking position because they've been doing it forever; the fact that he couldn't finish the sub says more about his BJJ level than the fact he "almost" got it.

Plus pure grappling hasn't exactly been the greatest predictor of MMA success.

The thing that I hate when people say is Weidman s going to win because he is like Sonnen with submissions. I do believe Weidman is better than Sonnen but the reason Sonen did well against Silva was because he went right after Anderson aggressively and never let him get comfortable, if Weidman sits back and tries to set up a shot and lets Anderson get his timing he is done.

The reason Sonnen was able to do that is that his head is pretty much made out of rocks and he's huge for Middleweight (which amplifies his wrestling skill).

He doesnt even look that bad in this tournament just that its only graplling I dont think Anderson would do a lot more better against Vinny. Look up GSP grappling tournament videos and you will understand what I am talking about but this is MMA the best BJJ player Marcelo was put to sleep fast. Anderson is well know for his pure striking and Weidman will find out that reall soon stop even think about his ground game. If he goins to ground he is going there out.

i took it wrong i thought you put it up meaning that weidman's grappling is shit. sorry for the fuck up

The reason Sonnen was able to do that is that his head is pretty much made out of rocks and he's huge for Middleweight (which amplifies his wrestling skill).

I mean Weidman's chin hasn't been tested but regardless of your chin if Anderson catches you in a bad spot it's over regadless. I also think Weidman is a prett large middleweight as well isn't he, i'm not sure how much he cuts but I heard people say he cuts a solid amount of weight to make 185. I don't think Weidman will do that anyways but I believe that is his best chance to win because once Anderson finds his rhythm and timing he is practically unbeatable and that is why Sonnen had so much success because he never let Anderson get in to a rhythm because he was always getting pressured by Sonnen.