UFC 162: Silva vs Weidman

Absolutely not! I haven't been able to wipe this smile off my face since the end of the fight, hahaha!

You take that back you dirty pirate hooker! Silva is a saint!

I didnt watch the fight due to time difference but i took a double take, nay a triple take this morning for the result to sink in, then shortly after started welling up and very nearly shed a tear... this doesn't seem right/believable... its like the hero dying in a movie lol. I need a fuckin cigarette.

Anyone else feel the same way? :weeping:

I feel the same way, I just couldn't believe it when I read it this morning, it sucks that he lost but no matter what happens Anderson Silva is still my favorite fighter

wow a lot of people are basically eating crow after silva just got ktfo! even me, i knew weidman had a chance but the way it ended was a complete shocker. congrats to the new mw champ!

• Upvote 2

yesterday was just un freaking believable. The fact is Anderson Silva as we know him never showed up. And his arrogance cost his title. Great job by Weidman keeping his focus and composure, and undeniable quality striking skills.

It's just crazy not to see the most accurate fighter of all time land a single punch.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think Silva would have won pretty easily had he taken the fight seriously.

I wouldn't say that AT ALL. Facts that we can gather from the fight is that Silva was toying with him, Weidmans striking isn't poor, his wrestling can work against Silvas TDD(which is why Silva taunted Weidman into a striking war), and Weidmans GnP is absolutely devastating. Too many other variables to determine who would win the rematch. Will Weidman just wrestle Silva to victory like he should have done? Will either fighter get caught with something? My money would honestly be on Weidman, as he PROVED he isn't affected by mental games and that's Silvas greatest strength.

• Upvote 2

true, weidman proved he isnt susceptible to the mind games and that hes really quite solid everywhere, but lets say silva came to fight and not to screw around. would silva have still lost? i rly dont think so. but the truth is silva is probably so fed up of having the belt that he handed it to the next guy that came along. not that weidman isnt any good at all but i certainly didnt think he should have won this match and not in this fashion. im sure hes not even happy with how he won even tho its what his opponent decided to keep on doing...

the most dissappointing thing of all is that silva said there will be no rematch so we will not be getting to see the true anderson silva come to fight weidman. weve all seen the way his taunting has developed every time he fights its almost like he changes into this completely different person on fight night and its just gotten worse and worse over the years. and now he gets what he deserves i guess.

• Downvote 1

I don't agree, even when Silva wasn't clowning around in the first couple minutes Weidman took him down and rained down punches so why couldn't he have done that any other time in the fight and finished. Me may never know now but some people definitely aren't giving Weidman enough credit for the win. Most guys would have mentally shut down like Maia or Griffin after being taunted by Silva like that, but Weidman pushed forward and did what he needed to do.

I wouldn't say that AT ALL. Facts that we can gather from the fight is that Silva was toying with him, Weidmans striking isn't poor, his wrestling can work against Silvas TDD(which is why Silva taunted Weidman into a striking war), and Weidmans GnP is absolutely devastating.

Weidman landed one TD the whole fight. He stuffed like 3 others. Weidmans gnp was pretty effective but he still made a very dumb mistake and went for a kneebar. There is a reason Sonnen stayed in Silva's guard the first fight. I wasnt that impressed with Weidmans striking, he didnt look particularly fast and his punches were pretty looping. He caught Silva because Silva was doing stupid shit and willingly put a professional fighter in his blindspot.

Too many other variables to determine who would win the rematch. Will Weidman just wrestle Silva to victory like he should have done? Will either fighter get caught with something? My money would honestly be on Weidman, as he PROVED he isn't affected by mental games and that's Silvas greatest strength.

I think Silvas greatest strength is his world class striking, the mental games are actually his biggest weakness. Weidman was the beneficiary of some truly odd behavior last night. But to say weidman wasnt affected by the mental games is kind of strange, he abandoned his wrestling in favor of lunging after Silva with haymakers which to me says that Silva's inane plan worked. Silva just took it too far, he's 38 and has likely slowed down a bit and can't get out of the way like he used too.

I think if there is a re-match Silva will come out and be all business and weidman wont have nearly the same success.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

He caught Silva because Silva was doing stupid shit and willingly put a professional fighter in his blindspot.

by that, do you mean "squared up, leaned back, and closed his eyes"? :P

would love to see a rematch in which silva puts the taunting to the side and just fights, but i'd be surprised if he wins that way either.

I wouldn't say that AT ALL. Facts that we can gather from the fight is that Silva was toying with him, Weidmans striking isn't poor, his wrestling can work against Silvas TDD(which is why Silva taunted Weidman into a striking war), and Weidmans GnP is absolutely devastating. Too many other variables to determine who would win the rematch. Will Weidman just wrestle Silva to victory like he should have done? Will either fighter get caught with something? My money would honestly be on Weidman, as he PROVED he isn't affected by mental games and that's Silvas greatest strength.

Silva's greatest strength is mind games?! are you high? Sorry but you must have not seen a Silva fight before to believe that his greatest strength is 'mental games'. Just dumb I am sorry. Check out spec savers they have good deals on glasses/contact lenses. :shades:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Silva's greatest strength is mind games?! are you high? Sorry but you must have not seen a Silva fight before to believe that his greatest strength is 'mental games'. Just dumb I am sorry. Check out spec savers they have good deals on glasses/contact lenses. :shades:

His greatest strength over his opponents. He mentally breaks down his opponents and beats him with powerful strikes. He's a better striker than nearly all his opponents, but that isn't the real route to his victories. Getting Weidman to stand and strike was a mental game he won...but Weidman didn't bend. What's to say he'd strike for 4 rounds? I doubt he'd play that game for long if Silva actually hit him.

Silva was taunting him to keep him from going for TDs... it backfired. People can make excuses for him all they want, but Weidman's wrestling scared Silva into it. Weidman deserves the strap - regardless of whether or not it was Silva's strategy that caused him to lose, Weidman was the better fighter. He was less afraid of Silva's striking than Silva was of his wrestling.

Big props to Weidman... maybe Silva will finally work on that TDD. Seriously doubt he retires.

I have to give Weidman a little credit because some of those takedown attempts were from really far out. I have to think it was more to close the distance with Silva constantly backing up/keeping his distance.

he does that all the time and people are amazed when he wins. now he loses and people are saying he fought dumb and it was a fluke. it's a risk anderson has taken a million times in fights before, but this time he paid for it. there was no fluke elements to it, there is no case of anderson not taking the fight serious. he did what he always does...and it finally caught up to him. if anderson won the fight, you'd all be in ehre saying how anderson is amazing, he's a ninja, he fights in the matrix...all that trash. weidman beat him up in that first round too. i was shocked that weidman won by ko because anderson has shown great striking defense and a great chin in the past, but he weidman has a great left hook. not only that, but weidman has deceptively long reach. anderson got caught with a shot he didnt see coming. simple as that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Whether a guy has clowned before and got away with it is irrelevant, a champ should have his belt ripped away and not hand it over, MMA fans wanted the UFC not theatrics. At least it will serve as a reminder for anyone else in future do this shit. My kids watched him for the first time, told them they are watching the worlds best. Now he can be infamous across all sports when people shout "don't do an Anderson".

I felt robbed of what could have been a great fight, but ended a farce.

• Upvote 1

We all knew this day would come eventually, Silva getting knocked out for being too cocky. Which sucks because I just bet $10,000 (in this game) that he would walk away unscathed as usual

i m not a fan of AS, but i still concider him one of GOAT. i really think this "clowning" was a way to confess how he struggle to strike against a wrestler. he fear to strike first and being taking down. so he put his hands down , taunting for a strike then be able to counter (where he is exelent ), but at the same times he is ready to hook and sprawl easly.

everyone who had practice mma, grappling or wrestling know how hard it is to takedown an oppoment on a straight action and not a reaction.

its more about the other stuff, his behavior, lake of humour and disrespect.

i was yelling the fuck out of me when the ko happen, very happy for weidman and wish the better rest for AS