UFC 162: Silva vs Weidman

Younger rjj would hand silva his ass. This might just be a money move on silva's part. Being that he will retire soon so he wants to make as much money till then which is not a bad idea. Kist the way he is going about making that money.

The thing that I hate when people say is Weidman s going to win because he is like Sonnen with submissions. I do believe Weidman is better than Sonnen but the reason Sonen did well against Silva was because he went right after Anderson aggressively and never let him get comfortable, if Weidman sits back and tries to set up a shot and lets Anderson get his timing he is done. He needs to have a Sonnen-esque gameplan to get this to the ground or he is getting destroyed. I like Weidman and think he will be champ one day but if he wants to beat Anderson he has to go right after him from the opening bell ala Sonnen or I hink he gits TKO'd in the 2nd round.

Over-hyped-weidman better. Than sonnen. I dont think so. Sonnen would actually beat over hyped weidam if they ever fight. Sonnen wrestling skills is top notch and he can take anyone down on any given day. Cant wait for silva to wipe the floor with this fool and be done with him already.

If muduz waited till he was a 100% he would beat weiman but the ufc forced him to take that fight and he lost making weidman look good.

He doesnt even look that bad in this tournament just that its only graplling I dont think Anderson would do a lot more better against Vinny. Look up GSP grappling tournament videos and you will understand what I am talking about but this is MMA the best BJJ player Marcelo was put to sleep fast. Anderson is well know for his pure striking and Weidman will find out that reall soon stop even think about his ground game. If he goins to ground he is going there out.

Weidman has awesome wrestling credentials. Marcelo doesn't. Having a good college wrestling record doesn't immediately equal great MMA wrestling (Munoz being a perfect example), but Weidman has shown pretty solid takedown ability so far in his career imo.

Disclosure: I haven't seen the match. Wrestlers tend to develop quickly in submission grappling, especially when it comes to taking position because they've been doing it forever; the fact that he couldn't finish the sub says more about his BJJ level than the fact he "almost" got it.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of that, but being able to put someone like Galvao in relatively bad spots after one year of submission training shows great talent and instincts at the very least.

Plus pure grappling hasn't exactly been the greatest predictor of MMA success.

Agreed, but people sleeping on Weidman and treating him like some chump should be made aware of that he's a legit threat to Anderson imo.

The reason Sonnen was able to do that is that his head is pretty much made out of rocks and he's huge for Middleweight (which amplifies his wrestling skill).

He also has deceptively good hands and has always been good at setting people up for takedowns with them.

Over-hyped-weidman better. Than sonnen. I dont think so. Sonnen would actually beat over hyped weidam if they ever fight. Sonnen wrestling skills is top notch and he can take anyone down on any given day. Cant wait for silva to wipe the floor with this fool and be done with him already.

If muduz waited till he was a 100% he would beat weiman but the ufc forced him to take that fight and he lost making weidman look good.

How can you be wrong about everything?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It really doesn't matter if you have a good double or single, you have to close the distance to get a nice shot in - otherwise you'll just shoot from too far away and your takedown is easily stuffed. The only people to take Anderson down effectively in his UFC career were Sonnen and Hendo, both guys that were willing to walk through fire to get into range for a takedown. Does Weidman have the same confidence in his chin? If he does, does he have the striking skills to do something similar withouth getting KTFO? I don't think so. I think he's a great prospect and all that, but he was rushed 'cause Anderson needed a challenger.

Anderson takes this by 1st/2nd round (T)KO.

It really doesn't matter if you have a good double or single, you have to close the distance to get a nice shot in - otherwise you'll just shoot from too far away and your takedown is easily stuffed. The only people to take Anderson down effectively in his UFC career were Sonnen and Hendo, both guys that were willing to walk through fire to get into range for a takedown. Does Weidman have the same confidence in his chin? If he does, does he have the striking skills to do something similar withouth getting KTFO? I don't think so. I think he's a great prospect and all that, but he was rushed 'cause Anderson needed a challenger.

Anderson takes this by 1st/2nd round (T)KO.

I wouldn't say he was rushed but the ufc jumped at the idea the first time he called silva out. But I think he is in way over his head with this one. Silva by beatdown ko.

I wouldn't say he was rushed but the ufc jumped at the idea the first time he called silva out. But I think he is in way over his head with this one. Silva by beatdown ko.

I mean rushed in the sense that this fight would be much, much more interesting if Weidman had more time to develop and gain some big fight experience, facing the likes of Belfort, Rockhold, Bisping, something like that. His best wins are sick Maia (i know he took it on short notice, but still) and the highly overrated Munoz.

I mean rushed in the sense that this fight would be much, much more interesting if Weidman had more time to develop and gain some big fight experience, facing the likes of Belfort, Rockhold, Bisping, something like that. His best wins are sick Maia (i know he took it on short notice, but still) and the highly overrated Munoz.

Oh I see. But the ufc would never let him fight vitor after vitor messed up their plans to market Luke. Vitor would destroy him easily without breaking a sweat.

Why would you say Sonnen is better? I'm a bigger Sonnen fan than Weidman fan but Weidman has better striking, much better BJJ, and their wrestling is very close but I think Weidman might even edge out Sonnen at this point. Sonnen had a hard time taking down Bisping I don't think he would be able to do much to Weidman in the wrestling department. I would be interested if they fought but I would pick Weidman by sub.

Who has sonnen fought that was a wrestler should be the question. I dont beleive Sonnen has fought any pure wrestlers. he fought guys who try to wrestle but not an actual wrestling guy either have weidman so no need to talk about that.

Weidman is overhyped, he is not nearly as good as the hype he is getting, and the only top MW he has beaten to get the shot is Maia who is no longer a MW. His chin has not been tested properly yet. So it's arguable if he even deserves the shot other than for the fact to see if anyone can beat Anderson in the octagon, but so is the nature of the sport. He is coming in at 9-0 which is what gets good PPV buy rates. I think Weidman has a chance to win for the fact of being a wrestler, and that is Anderson's weakness. But I strongly believe Anderson will win.

'not nearly as good as the hype he is getting' How is he soo overhyped if he actually has a chance to beat Anderson Silva?

If he is not nearly as good as his hype, its going to end up being Anderson vs Griffin where he just runs out the cage due to embarrassment

'not nearly as good as the hype he is getting' How is he soo overhyped if he actually has a chance to beat Anderson Silva?

If he is not nearly as good as his hype, its going to end up being Anderson vs Griffin where he just runs out the cage due to embarrassment

Styles make fights. Due to Wiedman's greatest strength being Anderson's great weakness he does have some chance. But I would not be surprised to see Wiedman do little better than Forest did. Hell I kind of thinks that Forest took a dive, because he knew he had no chance, or maybe Dana told him too, who knows, let's not go there.

If Anderson wasn't a notoriously slow starter he would probably finish Wiedman in round 1, while that's still possible I probably say he finishes Wiedman in round 2 or 3 easily.

Basically the real answer to your question is he has a chance to win as a blanket.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Who has sonnen fought that was a wrestler should be the question. I dont beleive Sonnen has fought any pure wrestlers. he fought guys who try to wrestle but not an actual wrestling guy either have weidman so no need to talk about that.

Some of the best MMA wrestlers have never competed in any kind of high level Wrestling competition, so it's kind of moot anyway -- Okami outwrestled Munoz pretty handily when they fought and Munoz has way better Wrestling credentials.

Some of the best MMA wrestlers have never competed in any kind of high level Wrestling competition, so it's kind of moot anyway -- Okami outwrestled Munoz pretty handily when they fought and Munoz has way better Wrestling credentials.

Dominick Cruz being another brilliant example. Man I miss Dominick Cruz.

Because Anderson Silva is fallible like every other human on the planet.

Kinda hoping for some Tyson/Buster Douglas shit.

• Upvote 1

Dominick Cruz being another brilliant example. Man I miss Dominick Cruz.

I don't.. Barao is way more fun to watch fight than Cruz. Though admittedly it's kind of ridiculous watching his fights because he basically looks unbeatable against everyone at this stage. Also add Barao to the list of guys who has good wrestling and no background in it, GSP of course being the poster child.

I don't.. Barao is way more fun to watch fight than Cruz. Though admittedly it's kind of ridiculous watching his fights because he basically looks unbeatable against everyone at this stage. Also add Barao to the list of guys who has good wrestling and no background in it, GSP of course being the poster child.

I always found Cruz very fun to watch myself, but it's pretty clear why he can't finish people... never plants his feet and arm punches a ton. Barao is much more fun though, yeah. I'm still in awe of what he did to Pickett.

Pickett is another guy with good wrestling despite no background actually.