Are fighters in this game unrealistically good?

I'm looking at the top 10 P4P in this game, and we have:

1. Elite, Elite, Sensational, Brown

2. Sensational, Sensational, Sensational, Brown

3. Elite, Elite, Sensational, Brown

4. Elite, Elite, Sensational, Brown

5. Elite, Elite, Elite, Brown

6. Sensational, Sensational, Sensational, Brown

7. Elite, Elite, Sensational, Purple

8. Elite, Exceptional, Elite, Black

9. Sensational, Remarkable, Sensational, Red

10. Elite, Sensational, Elite, Black

There is nobody in the real world who even comes close to this. The current #1 P4P in real life is JBJ, who I would rate as Strong, Elite, Elite, White and he's virtually unbeatable. It almost feels like lower level orgs are more like real MMA than their higher level counterparts. I may be wrong, but I think that maybe fighter skill caps should be lowered significantly to make the game more realistic.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Jones isn't a very good technical striker either, and his boxing is garbage. He's more like mediocre/strong/sensational/brown belt. So yes, they're very unrealistic!

His reach plays a big part in his striking though and that's why he's so effective. If we put that advantage into MMA Tycoon, we'd be facing 7ft beasts.
  • Upvote 1

You lost me at rating Jones a white belt. Technically he is, since he just started with the gi, but he is EASILY brown belt level if not black. Look at how many black belts he's faced and either shut down their BJJ or submitted them.

Very true. I just didn't know whether I should rate him higher since he's technically a white belt.
  • Downvote 1

I remember when tickers were done away with and the 80% skills cap put in place, some people wanted the cap at something like 60% to make it more realistic and to create more diversity. Not enough people got behind it though.

• Upvote 1

I´d like to see something like hardcaps (I understand its been discussed a lot) but say, upon creation the hardcaps are rolled for eached fighter (in secret, and it stays a hidden for everyone), make it hard/rare to roll high caps,this way a "Bones", "Aldo" and/or "Pettis" (talentwise) will be rare, and much more valuble, other than that, Mike could add something like Potential or Natural Talent for a dicipline and raising the cap for that art.

a risk would be you would never find out your guy sucks until he hits the hardcaps say after a IRL year worth of training and that would really suck, but there could be a way you could get a few pointers down the road, a gymcoach can inform you randomly or not about your guys potential, maybe sceminars can be a way, cornermen, reading fight play by play, there should be a few ways to find out the true potential if you want to, if you just ignore the tells/signs you will find out the hardway by training a skill that wont pop nomore.

sry if im hard to understand, im no englishman and im tired from work :)

• Upvote 1

Bones is white with the gi, in terms of applicable no-gi skills to MMA he is much higher, just ask Vitor.

I'd expect the real p4p top 10 has fewer than 6 who are only brown? (or if not actual black belts like jones have high no gi skills)

The Red is unrealistic- few MMA fighters have any stripes on their black belt, at least partly because to legitimetly get them your probably retired from MMA before youve had the black long enough to get past maybe four.

It also depends how your applying the scale to real life- does elite mean world champion in K1 or at least 1 major boxing governing body or an olympic medal in wrestling? (in which case few if any in real MMA achieve it) or do we say elite is as good as you see in MMA, IE Elite wrestling is div1 all american level. In which case the top 10 you probably see a lot of 2 elites with a black belt and one area they dont really use. By that standard I dont think we'r massivly overpowered (it just happens that BJJ is the neglected for most top fighters - which changes that have already happened should already be making change.)

@Mike, Its great the mechanism already exists but i dont feel we've had long enough to see the potential system work properly- Id say not touch it for maybe a year after it came in, then we have a review if we think it needs to drop another 5%

• Upvote 3

but you are only counting primaries... in mmatycoon you can have red belt with 1 submissions or elite wrestling with 1 takedows so it doesent really show fighters true skills.

Yes, but I also had someone tell me once that some of their fighters had all elite physicals. That may be even more unrealistic than the primaries.
  • Downvote 1

Yes, but I also had someone tell me once that some of their fighters had all elite physicals. That may be even more unrealistic than the primaries.

Is it? I think it again matters how you scale it- do we think elite strength means would win worlds strongest man 15 years running without breaking a sweat even though he competes at featherweight (in which case, yeah anyone with that strength should be pretty bad in speed and cardio) or do we think elite strength means "is as strong as it makes any sense for an MMA fighter in that class to be" if its the later (and this is very much a matter of personal interpretation, not a game mechanics thing, there is no right or wrong answer) and apply it to all the physicals Id argue that someone like GSP isnt far off across the board ellite- you occasionally see someone a little faster than him, and the agility is obviously not quite anderson silva, but I dont think (at welterwight at least) theres any advantage to being stronger than he is, his speed, agility, flexability are all at a level where he can hang with the best in the world in his weightclass, and his cardio is clearly more than he needs it to be without them introducing 10 round fights- Id make the argument he's a pretty elite human specimen. (and Im not even a gsp fan)

If of course you interprate elite physicals as meaning youve got the worlds strongest man who runs the 100m in 9 seconds, can put both feet behind his head and runs 6 triathalons and a marathon by lunchtime then yes having more than one elite probably indicates youve been bitten by a radioactive spider/been part of a secret government project/some other weird shit has happened to you

• Upvote 1

I´d like to see something like hardcaps (I understand its been discussed a lot) but say, upon creation the hardcaps are rolled for eached fighter (in secret, and it stays a hidden for everyone), make it hard/rare to roll high caps,this way a "Bones", "Aldo" and/or "Pettis" (talentwise) will be rare, and much more valuble, other than that, Mike could add something like Potential or Natural Talent for a dicipline and raising the cap for that art.

That's what's already in place.
  • Upvote 1

It's still easy enough to bring down the cap over time. We can change the potential values of new fighters so over time it can slowly decrease if people want it to.

I say leave it alone, I like the way it is.

• Upvote 4

I say leave it alone, I like the way it is.

Yeah lets see the effect of the last changes before lowering the cap more!

@Mike, Its great the mechanism already exists but i dont feel we've had long enough to see the potential system work properly- Id say not touch it for maybe a year after it came in, then we have a review if we think it needs to drop another 5%

• Upvote 1