The 2013/2014 Football (Soccer) Thread

bjornmma1

Are there other MMA fans who really like soccer? I am a big fan of Ac Milan ! The team isn't what it used to be, but the 2 new players (Honda & Rami) might make a big difference. And Kaka is a superstar!

Everyone who wants to talk about soccer, can do it over here from now on. Feel free to talk about your favourite team, transfer rumours, what you would use as line-up for a club, ... or post funny pictures about soccer :P

A list of the League winners and Major cup winners:

England: Manchester City
Spain: Atletico Madrid
Germany: Bayern Munich
Italy: Juventus
France: Paris St-Germain
Portugal: Benfica

Europa League: Sevilla
Champions League: Real Madrid

Edited by markyosullivan
Added in 2012/2013 season winners
  • Upvote 1

Are there other MMA fans who really like soccer? I am a big fan of Ac Milan ! The team isn't what it used to be, but the 2 new players (Honda & Rami) might make a big difference. And Kaka is a superstar!

Everyone who wants to talk about soccer, can do it over here from now on. Feel free to talk about your favourite team, transfer rumours, what you would use as line-up for a club, ... or post funny pictures about soccer :P

I watch all MMA, UFC, BFC, WSOF, all AXS orgs, sometimes stuff like DEEP, Shoto, Jungle Fights when i get rips... but i am even more crazy about football. :D Don't watch other sports though. My club is Borussia Dortmund, since i was 6 and started watching (dad took me to a game - with Eric Wynalda in the op team btw lol, in case some of you yankees here remembers ^^). Also watch the local club (3rd league) Preußen Münster quite frequently in stadium.

I have some sympathies for OM... Juve in Italy due to the great duels in the past with my club (and players like Möller, Kohler, Sousa, ... who played for both teams), in general i am a friend of calcio lol. Liverpool when i was younger but, while being successfull, i really did not like the team they had in the whole Benitez era. While i admit that the pace and the physical game in EPL is impressive, i just prefer a different kind of football myself... too much money there also which fucks it all up in so many aspects.

Hot topic at my club currently is who will replace Lewandowski (while Reus and Aubameyang can play a solid "9" already)... who does the Götze and leaves us for Bayern. :-/ Dzeko (who would fit best when it coems to tactical consitency), Benteke, Doumbia, Adrian Ramos, Batshuayi are some names which are in the mix there. Also the german top talent Kevin Volland... him and Matthias Ginter (CD, DM) would be my national wish transfers.

The other topic is Ilkay Gündogan wo was injured nearly the whole season... imo one of the top 3 box to box playmakers worldwide already. If he does not sign a new contract, we may have to sell him in summer. :( Real... so, i was happy to hear that Xabi Alonso just signed a new 2 year deal, maybe that helps.

A big wish transfer for everyone, maybe this winter already, is Kagawa Shinji... obviously. Come back, Shinji!!! :)

Topic of the day here is that Wolfsburg (!) seems to have won the race to sign Kevin de Bruyne... fantastic player that is, what a sick talent. Played a season on loan for Werder Bremen here already.

Edit: MODS, can we rename the thread please, "Football/Calcio/Futbol/Fussball/Soccer"... but pleeease not just "Soccer". :D

• Upvote 1

I watch all MMA, UFC, BFC, WSOF, all AXS orgs, sometimes stuff like DEEP, Shoto, Jungle Fights when i get rips... but i am even more crazy about football. :D Don't watch other sports though. My club is Borussia Dortmund, since i was 6 and started watching (dad took me to a game - with Eric Wynalda in the op team btw lol, in case some of you yankees here remembers ^^). Also watch the local club (3rd league) Preußen Münster quite frequently in stadium.

I have some sympathies for OM... Juve in Italy due to the great duels in the past with my club (and players like Möller, Kohler, Sousa, ... who played for both teams), in general i am a friend of calcio lol. Liverpool when i was younger but, while being successfull, i really did not like the team they had in the whole Benitez era. While i admit that the pace and the physical game in EPL is impressive, i just prefer a different kind of football myself... too much money there also which fucks it all up in so many aspects.

Hot topic at my club currently is who will replace Lewandowski (while Reus and Aubameyang can play a solid "9" already)... who does the Götze and leaves us for Bayern. :-/ Dzeko (who would fit best when it coems to tactical consitency), Benteke, Doumbia, Adrian Ramos, Batshuayi are some names which are in the mix there. Also the german top talent Kevin Volland... him and Matthias Ginter (CD, DM) would be my national wish transfers.

The other topic is Ilkay Gündogan wo was injured nearly the whole season... imo one of the top 3 box to box playmakers worldwide already. If he does not sign a new contract, we may have to sell him in summer. :( Real... so, i was happy to hear that Xabi Alonso just signed a new 2 year deal, maybe that helps.

A big wish transfer for everyone, maybe this winter already, is Kagawa Shinji... obviously. Come back, Shinji!!! :)

Topic of the day here is that Wolfsburg (!) seems to have won the race to sign Kevin de Bruyne... fantastic player that is, what a sick talent. Played a season on loan for Werder Bremen here already.

Edit: MODS, can we rename the thread please, "Football/Calcio/Futbol/Fussball/Soccer"... but pleeease not just "Soccer". :D

1) I doubt if city will sell Dzeko... and Ac Milan would make an offer also ;) I think they will sell Balotelli to Chelsea and buy Dzeko in June.

2) I still can't believe Lewandoski left Dortmund for Bayern! And why hasn't Dortmund accepted the offer Bayern made in the summer? Now he's gone and they don't even get any money to buy a new player.

3) I think El Sharaawy would be a very good player for Dortmund but I really hope Milan doesn't sell him. He is very talented but needs to get rid of some injuries.

4 ) If you like football, have you already heard of Hachim Mastour? the young talent from Ac Milan. He's amazing!! I hope they don't rush him to play in the first team to fast. They should give him time to get stronger and faster. But damn, he's really really good!!

5) what's your opinion on the new signings from Milan? HOnda and Rami

1) I doubt if city will sell Dzeko... and Ac Milan would make an offer also ;) I think they will sell Balotelli to Chelsea and buy Dzeko in June.

2) I still can't believe Lewandoski left Dortmund for Bayern! And why hasn't Dortmund accepted the offer Bayern made in the summer? Now he's gone and they don't even get any money to buy a new player.

3) I think El Sharaawy would be a very good player for Dortmund but I really hope Milan doesn't sell him. He is very talented but needs to get rid of some injuries.

4 ) If you like football, have you already heard of Hachim Mastour? the young talent from Ac Milan. He's amazing!! I hope they don't rush him to play in the first team to fast. They should give him time to get stronger and faster. But damn, he's really really good!!

5) what's your opinion on the new signings from Milan? HOnda and Rami

1. We can take Jovetic also if they don't want to sell him lol. I mean they bought him and Negredo this season... who also plays more now than Edin. He's been there for a while now and never reached an undisputed starting 11 place, so if he tells City it is his wish to leave, i think they would allow it. He made his breaktrough in the Bundesliga and it's a very interesting league when it comes to the whole atmosphere, fan culture, packed and top notch stadiums... has many friends here (visits games here quite frequently also), has a good relation to Klopp also... still, Dortmund is very team-orientated and won't go crazy on his wage, we pay solid money for a german club but very balanced, there is no star when it comes to payments. Milan nowadays can't pay the City wage also, but they are unreasonable enough to make an offer which is not really healthy for them. :D

For me Dzeko is the player og his generation who gets closest to van Basten style-wise, no i can't deny it would be nice to see him there in case we don't get him.

2. Was a mix of reasons i guess... maybe Dzeko was not possible and they had no faith in the possible alternatives and they did not want to risk the season, league and CL... and reaching 1/4 final there nearly gets us the bucks. Maybe there were hopes that Real pushes hard and he leaves in winter for 10-15 mio when CL 1/4 final is reached. And it's known they made a CRAZY offer lately... and his agent went there and listened aslo, fact. And finally, to make a statement... with the success we had lately and the money which came in by it, nobody can set us under pressure anymore. Hands down, i like how it went down, contracts just are worth the paper they are written on nowadays it seems, so sometimes you gotta make a statement.

3. Very similar to Reus

4. I watch much youth football also if there is an opportunity, but nah, gotta admit, never heard of him before.

5. There were always rumors that Honda would join a Bundesliga club, Schalke and Dortmund for example. I saw him several times the last 1-2 years, one of my best Tycoon buddies is a huge CSKA fan... they have a great philosophy there, in contradiction to other russian clubs, so i'm always rooting for them. Plus the early CL games of course in Moscow. Fine techinician, sometimes a bit to self-regarding... lacks the efficiency of a Kagawa a bit, although the custom-made position in his national team for example gives him a huge boost. Much will depend on the role he gets at Milan. Could be a good transfer, especially for the price.

Rami always was a classy player, haven't seen him often in spain though 90 mins, but i remember him from his days in Lille... so i am not really up to date i guess. How is he doing?

1. We can take Jovetic also if they don't want to sell him lol. I mean they bought him and Negredo this season... who also plays more now than Edin. He's been there for a while now and never reached an undisputed starting 11 place, so if he tells City it is his wish to leave, i think they would allow it. He made his breaktrough in the Bundesliga and it's a very interesting league when it comes to the whole atmosphere, fan culture, packed and top notch stadiums... has many friends here (visits games here quite frequently also), has a good relation to Klopp also... still, Dortmund is very team-orientated and won't go crazy on his wage, we pay solid money for a german club but very balanced, there is no star when it comes to payments. Milan nowadays can't pay the City wage also, but they are unreasonable enough to make an offer which is not really healthy for them. :D

For me Dzeko is the player og his generation who gets closest to van Basten style-wise, no i can't deny it would be nice to see him there in case we don't get him.

2. Was a mix of reasons i guess... maybe Dzeko was not possible and they had no faith in the possible alternatives and they did not want to risk the season, league and CL... and reaching 1/4 final there nearly gets us the bucks. Maybe there were hopes that Real pushes hard and he leaves in winter for 10-15 mio when CL 1/4 final is reached. And it's known they made a CRAZY offer lately... and his agent went there and listened aslo, fact. And finally, to make a statement... with the success we had lately and the money which came in by it, nobody can set us under pressure anymore. Hands down, i like how it went down, contracts just are worth the paper they are written on nowadays it seems, so sometimes you gotta make a statement.

3. Very similar to Reus

4. I watch much youth football also if there is an opportunity, but nah, gotta admit, never heard of him before.

5. There were always rumors that Honda would join a Bundesliga club, Schalke and Dortmund for example. I saw him several times the last 1-2 years, one of my best Tycoon buddies is a huge CSKA fan... they have a great philosophy there, in contradiction to other russian clubs, so i'm always rooting for them. Plus the early CL games of course in Moscow. Fine techinician, sometimes a bit to self-regarding... lacks the efficiency of a Kagawa a bit, although the custom-made position in his national team for example gives him a huge boost. Much will depend on the role he gets at Milan. Could be a good transfer, especially for the price.

Rami always was a classy player, haven't seen him often in spain though 90 mins, but i remember him from his days in Lille... so i am not really up to date i guess. How is he doing?

I've seen some training footage of Ac Milan and Rami looks like a beast! He is very good in defence , but he also goes running forward. + the majority of goals scored against Milan came from a corner or a free kick. With Rami, this problem should be solved. He is a brilliant signing in my opinion! ;)

And I hope they wait before the let Honda play. He should only play as a substitute this weekend in my opinion. He might suffer from jetlag and they should win this game easy, with or without honda :P

And some links for you to see what you think about Hachim Mastour ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSfIHezG4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfmTwrXck3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKF5d76leB0

Looks like Manchester United now is also pushing hard for Gündogan... if he leaves us 100% in summer, hell, take their 30 mio € or 20 + Kagawa and join the battle for Nemanja Matic i'd say. But it's sad... Illy is a fantastic player, so smart, my heart would bleed seeing him leave. But if so i am happy it's not Bayern haha, cause nothing worse then seeing former stars in this ugly jerseys every week in Budnesliga. :D

So, what happens otherwise... quite a shocker that Hazard goes into offense so hard, talking about joining Paris next season. :o First thought here was then De Bruyne certainly will stay, but looks like Mou gave him the go to sign elsewhere.

Cool thing with Hitzelsberger and his coming-out... top fella that is, happy for him that he has his freedom now in his life.

Apropos Newcastle, thejournal.co.uk reports they are interested in signing Aron Hunt, his Bremen contract ends in summer. Talented guy in his prime age-wise, but imo he lacks the mentality to play up to his real potential. In the past made his best games when he was about to sign a new contract, says it all. German dad, english mom btw.

Which leads me to Holtby... more rumors pop up here that he will come back to Bundesliga. Overrated arrogant prick, i really can't stand the guy and his career planning media counselors, what a wimp.

Honda has been one of my favorite players in the world since the last cup, good to see hes gonna get more exposure.

Honda has been one of my favorite players in the world since the last cup, good to see hes gonna get more exposure.

and with kaka next to him... They should be able give a lot of assists for balotelli and pazzini and score some great goals themselves! Can't wait until el sharaawy is back from his injury, and he plays with Honda and Kaka behind balotelli :D

Hazard has been a lot better this season. he's doing great! In my opinion, he plays like Robben but at the other side of the field. :)

Robben was a great player for Chelsea, don't know why they ever sold him. Think Hazard is only 23 as well, so plenty of years for him to kick ass with Chelsea!

In other news, I've pinned this thread and changed the title. Every so often we get a football (soccer) thread popping up on General Discussion / Off-Topic forum, so I thought it'd be better having just a thread for the season.

Would you guys rather this thread in the General Discussion forum or Off-Topic forum?

Robben was a great player for Chelsea, don't know why they ever sold him. Think Hazard is only 23 as well, so plenty of years for him to kick ass with Chelsea!

In other news, I've pinned this thread and changed the title. Every so often we get a football (soccer) thread popping up on General Discussion / Off-Topic forum, so I thought it'd be better having just a thread for the season.

Would you guys rather this thread in the General Discussion forum or Off-Topic forum?

General discussion, because Fußball isn't something to "talk rubbish", but something dead serious. :D To quote Bill Shankly: "Someone said to me 'To you football is a matter of life or death!' and I said 'Listen, it's more important than that'".

Thing with Robben is, back then he always had this stigma of the brittle-bone dutchman... plus he is not an easy guy, he just needs to feel special, get some ego-stroking... and then he can be a real teamplayer also which his time at Bayern, a huge but also in its core still a very familiar club, shows. It's odd, quite a similar story with Ribery, especially if you compare Bayern-Ribery and French national team Ribery.

I think those two are the main reasons why he never really settled down before.

Ac Milan fired their coach Allegri... Finally!! I'm hoping for villas boas as a replacement ;)

I've never rated AVB as a good coach. He didn't do great at Chelsea and was pretty average at Spurs. The only club he's had great success with was Porto. If he gets appointed AC Milan coach, it'll be interesting to see how he does.

I've never rated AVB as a good coach. He didn't do great at Chelsea and was pretty average at Spurs. The only club he's had great success with was Porto. If he gets appointed AC Milan coach, it'll be interesting to see how he does.

I think AVB is the most realistic choice, but Prandelli or Ancelotti would be my first choice as coach for milan

Looks like it's going to be Seedorf...first coaching experience, but he can't do much worse than Allegri.

Last game vs Sassuolo was one of the worst AC Milan games i've ever saw....

yes it was indeed a poor display by Milan. Why did allegri start with Bonera and not with Rami or Mexes?!! Few positive points were that cristante is doing great for his age, Honda does create chances and is not afraid to shoot and best of all , no more Allegri!!

Seedorf will be popular with the fans without a doubt. Will be interesting to see how he does if he is appointed AC Milan manager.

Apparently Chelsea are interested in re-signing Matic a player they let go for I think it was about £5M a couple of seasons ago and they're supposedly bidding £20M for him. He's supposed to be a great midfielder and won player of the season in the Portuguese league last season.

yes it was indeed a poor display by Milan. Why did allegri start with Bonera and not with Rami or Mexes?!! Few positive points were that cristante is doing great for his age, Honda does create chances and is not afraid to shoot and best of all , no more Allegri!!

Agree...Rami has been training with the team for almost 2 months, how is he not ready to play? Bonera can't start. The sad thing is that Cristante is playing only because Muntari is injured, but he's playing way better than him or Nocerino. Same for Saponara in the derby.

The biggest Allegri's mistake was Matri, he had Balotelli,Pazzini,El Shaa,Robinho,Niang and he still decided to sell Boateng to buy a striker, the only position where we were good. Plus i don't like the way he treated players like Pirlo,Inzaghi,Seedorf, Gattuso and Flamini in the past years.

Agree...Rami has been training with the team for almost 2 months, how is he not ready to play? Bonera can't start. The sad thing is that Cristante is playing only because Muntari is injured, but he's playing way better than him or Nocerino. Same for Saponara in the derby.

The biggest Allegri's mistake was Matri, he had Balotelli,Pazzini,El Shaa,Robinho,Niang and he still decided to sell Boateng to buy a striker, the only position where we were good. Plus i don't like the way he treated players like Pirlo,Inzaghi,Seedorf, Gattuso and Flamini in the past years.

Common opinion here in Germany is that it was a head and no heart decision (also Ottmar Hitzfeld leaked some info which circulated among agents), Boateng has a fucked up knee kinda since his youth days in Berlin and shit's getting worse. The last month he had to fly to a specialist in München once a week (!) in the regular training shedule, i highly doubt he will make it as pro past 30 and until that he will have to make long breaks here and there also it seems.