The 2013/2014 Football (Soccer) Thread

bjornmma1

Everton have the best full backs in the league in my opinion, though I am loving Flanagan at Liverpool. He is awesome. Composure and tenacity. Future England RB.

Everton have built a good and deep squad though. I heard a transfer rumour linking them with Remy for £10mil odd. Sounds too cheap, but he'd be an excellent signing for them. The article also said they wouldn't be able to afford Lukaku as he would be £20mil plus. If so he is a bargain for whoever could afford that. I can't believe Jose didn't rate him enough to bring him back to Chelsea. I think he was trying to be clever and let Lukaku learn at another club and that he'd have enough goal scorers with the players he had - but it might be backfiring on him as Liverpool overtake.

Anyone hear about the match in Ukraine? The captain of Dynamo Kiev, Oleg Kusev, collided with Dnipro's goalkeeper and was knocked unconscious and also SWALLOWED his own tongue! Would have been worse but one of Dnipros players saw it immediately and got him medical attention

Notice the trend with all the teams predicted to go down is that they all changed managers during the season. While Poyet has done much better than they would have under Di Canio, it still took them too long to get used to his style. Cardiff only deserve to go down due to their idiot of an owner, but their fans and team have played some exceptional games this season. West Brom I felt were punching above their weight in terms of league positions and im surprised they havent gone down sooner. Fulham along the same lines, but they were usually a solid bet for around 15th spot.

Sunderland have got three games in hand. They might pull it out the bag.

Their remaining fixtures are Tottenham (A), Everton (H), Man City (A), Chelsea (A), Cardiff (H), Man Utd (A), West Brom (H), Swansea (H).

Realistically, I can see them getting maybe 9-12 points. Too many hard fixtures so I think they will get relegated

Sunderland will go down and I will be laughing all summer being a Newcastle fan. The only thing I will miss is the darby games as they are great matchs to watch, even though Sunderland have won the last couple

Ouch, seems official now, Gündogan won't make a single game this season which equally means he is out of the WC. He is the better Schweinsteiger and a guy for the big games imo, exactly what Schweinsteiger and especially the ultra-phlegmatic Özil are not, had high hopes for him regarding Brazil. Those two mentioned guys disappearing always starts a crucial chain reaction - Khedira is ballsy, in such moments he is there, but does the Maradonna then and the team loses its defensive balance. I respect that very much, but a tactical-disciplined Khedira as the working-horse of the team is way more important, especially as we will never have the coolness of the italians.

Oh f*ck yeah, tomorrow the biggest german newpaper will announce that Dortmund has signed Matthias Ginter from Freiburg... just turned 20, 2012 (U18) & 2013 (U19) Golden Fritz Walter Medal winner for best youth player, 65 games in the Bundesliga. 5 in EL, debuted for the german national team against Chile lately also. Easily our biggest defensive talent (plays cd and dm), even that outstanding that noone here has doubts that he will reach worldclass level, like, top 3-5 worldwide, it's a sure shot if he stays healthy.

Good lord, i'd be a happy Verbo if this turns out to be true! :wub:

Oh f*ck yeah, tomorrow the biggest german newpaper will announce that Dortmund has signed Matthias Ginter from Freiburg... just turned 20, 2012 (U18) & 2013 (U19) Golden Fritz Walter Medal winner for best youth player, 65 games in the Bundesliga. 5 in EL, debuted for the german national team against Chile lately also. Easily our biggest defensive talent (plays cd and dm), even that outstanding that noone here has doubts that he will reach worldclass level, like, top 3-5 worldwide, it's a sure shot if he stays healthy.

Good lord, i'd be a happy Verbo if this turns out to be true! :wub:

I rate Ginter a lot. Very good player who will add to Dortmund well, especially given their departures over the last couple of seasons

I do have to say, i am shocked at the improvement Liverpool have had this year and with just 4 games to go it is all in their hands. Their game against Chelsea at home is massive, a win there should seal it unless something weird happens and they lose 2 games against Palace, Norwich and Newcastle

I like the way Liverpool have taken care of business this season. At no point have they been favourites for the title but all of a sudden it is seeming that they may actually achieve what nobody considered a possibility at the start of the campaign. You listen to commentators and pundits and they all seem to have expected Liverpool to fall away at some point and thus far it has not happened. The Chelsea game is the biggie now, a win in that now and you would imagine it to be all over barring a disaster. But a Chelsea win blows it wide open again.

Did anyone honestly imagine the possibility of Liverpool winning the league and Everton joining them in the Champions League next season at the expense of Arsenal? What a season it has been.