Montreal Fight Nights - Official Thread

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/17/17w24.jpg

Jonah Jamm

Post fight interview:

Norman: Congratulations on a successful debut in MFN, Now lets go over that brutal KO ( watches replay:BOOM! Jamm lands a beautiful left hook that drops Sokoloff. Sokoloff tries to recover but Jamm is having none of it, landing more punishing shots from mount. One final crushing shot and Sokoloff lies motionless on the canvas. The fight is over!) Wow that was nasty KO, you had him badly hurt at the end of the second round and he must have still been hurt coming into round 3. Did you sense this?

Jam: Yeah i hit him with some good shots befor the end of round two, and i knew that there was no way he could have fully recovered in that short amount of time we get between rounds. My corner told me to go right after him at the begining of round 3, so that what i did and you see what happened.

Norman: I didnt expect that, thats for sure, Sokoloff went down like a sack of potatoes from the first punch of round 3. I was like ohhh shitttt! So your now 10-0-1 and got your MFN debut out the way, whats next for you?

Jam: Well I'm a little banged up so I'm gonna take a few days to rest up, then I will continuing to improve my fight game until I get my next opponent. Once my oppenent has been selected, my coaches and I will begin a training regiment based around that fighter in particular.

Norman: Sounds like good news, Look forward to seeing you in the cage again soon.

• Upvote 1

Johnny hendricks will leave sydney as the new BW champion

I am excited to see how he does. He has definitely earned the right to challenge Ron Lemieux by beating some really good fighters.

Good luck :)

http://mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14098260502658.jpg

IVAN TERRIBLE

My last fight was my first loss in MFN, It was more a learning experiance than anything, I tried few things different and it didnt work out so i will learn from my mistakes. I personally thought I did enought to win but oh well. My next opponent , Udo Hitzlsperger is in for a serious beating. I will be unrelenting in my attack, whether it be standing or on the ground, you will go down!

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1412005177MFN_145_poster.jpg

MFN 145 : London Calling

This was the first stop in MFN's World Tour...and the event was named after the famous song below :

Thioon Pitch vs. Valko Dragov - Pitch came into this fight looking to build on his momentum from his win over Spencer and Dragov was also looking to build momentum after defeating Tosen in his last fight. Dragov seemed to have the advantage on the ground, whereas Pitch was more proficient in the standup. As this one started, it became clear that both fighters knew their strengths and opponent weaknesses as Dragov immediately scored a successful takedown. After a few failed sub attempts, Pitch scored a reversal and not too much later secured the win with a 1st round KO.

Antoine De La Morte vs. Ben Hur - Ben Hur came into this fight with a nice win streak going at MFN, so momentum was on his side. Hur definitely had a Muai Thai advantage whereas De La Morte has found past success on the ground. It was fairly obvious that the winner would be determined by how much time the fighters spent in the clinch or on the ground. Right off the bat, Hur took the fight to the clinch and started working, but eventually De La Morte secured a takedown and went to work himself. This happened a few times during the fight and a very close match wound up going the distance. Eventually De La Morte was credited with the victory, however it was clear that Hur put up an extremely close fight and had De La Morte not been quite as aggressive with takedown attempts, we may have had a different winner.

Yermolai Sokoloff vs. Jonah Jamm - Jamm was making his MFN debut, whereas Sokoloff had lost his inagural MFN fight and was looking to rebound from it. Both of these fighters are extremely skilled across all 4 fighting disciplines, but Sokoloff had a slight age advantage. Jamm was a bit heavier than Sokoloff though, so the question in this fight was would experience or weight be the difference. Both fighters had a similar plan to attack their opponents head, but Jamm was a bit more aggressive and added some nice leg kicks in also. Sokoloff took a lot of punishment during this fight but stood up to it nicely until the first moments of round 3 when Jamm blasted Sokoloff with a beautiful left hook. After the fight Sokoloff blamed his manager for him not being as prepared as he could be. Word around is that Sokoloff has a new manager now to help him focus his skills.

Vassago Ballardo vs. Roberto Klinkhammer - Another matchup of fighters with plenty of skills across all of the disciplines. Klinkhammer is a bit more experienced than Ballardo, but Ballardo is more known for his Muai Thai ability. Both fighters have won by KO plenty of times, so this one looked like it would wind up being a slugfest between the two 205 class members. Instead, Klinkhammer demonstrated his significant KO power by taking out Ballardo in 47 seconds with a big left and a right that sent Ballardo to the mat. The quick win secured Klinkhammer with a shot at the class title.

Horacio Vanderbeet vs. Timpurhkhum Chouncheun - Chouncheun is one of the longest standing members of MFN and Vanderbeet was looking forward to his 3rd fight with the organization. Vanderbeet is known for his ground abilities, whereas Chouncheun is known for some great kicks. Many an MFN opponent has felt Chouncheun's kicking fury. Vanderbeet did his homework and started using his ground advantage in the first round while Chouncheun hung on for dear life being taken down 2 out of 4 attempts. In the second round, Vanderbeet went right back to the ground and after a short while secured a KO win with some vicious ground and pound.

Bill Shadow vs. Bill H Ahellno - In this "Battle of Bills" the elite boxing of Ahellno gave him a clear advantage, even though Shadow had a nice wrestling advantage. Shadow had somewhat of an uphill battle here, and the elite boxing was too much. At 3:25 of round 1, Ahellno scored a KO win with his boxing ability as he targeted Shadow's head with every one of his punches. After the fight, Shadow was displeased with his performance but realized he was an underdog going in to the fight and stated he knew what he needed to work on before his next fight.

Frank Dux vs. Urijah Faber - This one promised to be a great match. Dux has been destroying MFN opponents recently and Faber has been a part of MFN for over a year now. In addition, both fighters are similarly skilled with some additional proficiency on the ground over the other disciplines. This one was a clear toss up over whom would emerge victorious. Most experts figured the winner would win by submission. After dominating rounds 1 and 2 with his standup abilities, Dux just couldn't get the KO win he was looking for. When round 3 started, Faber came out more inspired looking and many in the audience saw a huge momentum swing as the round progressed. Faber had tried some submissions earlier in the fight, but in round 3 he knew he was behind in the eyes of the judges. Eventually the round ended as Dux held on and won by decision. Faber's great 3rd round almost got him a victory.

Roberto Kim vs. Calypso Damione Deathclaw - This one was a matchup of age and weight vs. sheer will and determination. Kim is older and heavier than Deathclaw, but Deathclaw had his fans on his side. Deathclaw is one of the most popular fighters at MFN and has legions of loyal fans that inspire him. Both fighters are similarly skilled, but with Kim's experience, Deathclaw had a slight uphill battle. With no surprise, the majority of the fight occurred on the ground as both fighters have significant ground skills. Deathclaw was clearly more aggressive as his fans chanted his name over and over especially in the third round. Deathclaw dominated the first round and Kim dominated the second round. It was clear whoever won the third round would emerge victorious, and despite his aggression, Deathclaw came up short in the eyes of the judges at the end. It was definitely a hard fought match between the two fighters.

Nick Shields vs. Raijin Kage - The winner of this match knew they would be receiving a title shot against Bobby Butcher. With Butcher in attendance, the question became if Shield's slight skill advantage or Kage's winning momentum would prevail. Shields has a clear boxing advantage but surprisingly tried to battle Kage on the ground. After a decent battle on the ground in round 1 and round 2, the argument could be made that either fighter was winning. For a short time it looked like we were trending towards a tie. In the third round, Kage stepped up his aggressiveness and did just enough to convince the judges he deserved to win the round. It was another close match during the evening, and Butcher said at the end he looked forward to facing Kage in Rio, where Kage would definitely have a home crowd advantage.

Nir Sosa vs. Jaska Jalovaara - In the final match of the night in London, Sosa was defending his 185 title for the first time against a fighter who had previously challenged Vic Thory for the same title. Both fighters are skilled across all disciplines, except Jalovaara has a slight BJJ advantage. Experts predicted that Jalovaara would try to win this one standing up, while Sosa would probably go to the ground for his strategy. In what wound up being yet another close fight in a night of close fights. Both fighters avoided the clinch and scored a similar amount of successful strikes on both the standup and ground phases. Sosa wound up winning the decision, and one has to wonder if it was because the judges saw more successful takedowns from him than Jalovaara.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1412009158MFN_146_poster.jpg

MFN 146 : Viva Las Vegas

In the second stop on the MFN World Tour, we hit Las Vegas! Like, MFN 145, this event was also named after a famous song :

http://youtu.be/ucubLr3ZLbw

Walt Disney vs. Jordan Belfort - We started the night with a matchup having 2 guys who have yet to establish consistent success at MFN. Both fighters have skills that cover all 4 fighting disciplines, but Belfort has a slight BJJ advantage that experts figured he would use to his advantage. Although Belfort did try to get a submission victory, it was the damage he did in the clinch that was the difference in this fight. Each fighter won a round before in the third round where Belfort scored an early takedown and put the round and match away in the judges eyes.

Daniel Alfredsson vs. Henry Loiseau - Going into this matchup, both fighters had fought 9 fights within MFN. Although Loiseau has had more success within the organization recently, many experts were betting on Alfredsson to pull a slight upset victory via submission due to his BJJ advantage. When the fight was completed, though, Alfredsson had only attempted one submission the entire match due to some spectacular takedown defense and reversal ability by Loiseau. Loiseau also didn't exactly give Alfredsson a chance to use his ground abilities because Loiseau was able to keep Alfredsson on the defense with strike after strike landing. Eventually, while in the clinch, Loiseau put Alfredsson away with a KO victory headshot.

Tony Grecko vs. Dusan Kikovich - In the next fight of the night we had two 135 weight class members going at it. Both fighters are very similarly skilled, are the same age, and only have a 3 pound weight difference between each other. All signs pointed to this match being very close, and taking place in all fighting phases. Each fighter has proficiency in the standup, clinch, and ground disciplines. Not surprising, Grecko took this fight to the ground and showed Kikovich why he likes to grapple. The first two rounds were close, and an argument could be made for each fighter narrowly winning a round, this one really came down to the third round. In that round, Grecko dominated Kikovich by getting him on the ground and keeping him there. This one was a lot closer than the actual judes' scorecards showed, but Grecko won the fight by decision.

Romeo Hernanes vs. Roberto Rodriguez - The next matchup was one of experience vs. skills. Before the fight, Rodriguez had fought 26 times in his career whereas Hernanes had only fought 20 times even though both fighters were the same age. Rodriguez has a significantly higher percentage of his wins coming by submission, so it was proper to think that he would be looking for a submission victory... especially with an opponent like Hernanes who is much stronger in the standup. Right out of the gate, Hernanes went on the attack and actually rocked Rodriguez with a big knockdown. The rest of the fight, pretty much, took place on the ground but Hernanes won a relatively easy decision for the judges.

David Taylor vs. Richard Jay Franklin - Up next we had yet another boxer vs. wrestler type of match. Franklin has fought with MFN more times than Taylor, is 3 years older, but is also the same weight as Taylor. Experts agreed before the match that this one was going to come down to which fighter wanted to win more. Not surprisingly, Taylor took the fight to the ground and exerted his dominance there the entire match. In addition, even though Franklin was able to score a few head shots in there, Taylor aggressively came after Franklin landing strikes. Both of those aspects impressed the judges enough to award Taylor an easy decision victory without hesitation.

Kunta Kinte vs. Nikolay Capriotti - Capriotti has a bit more wrestling ability, whereas Kinte is known moreso for his standup boxing KO power. This matchup wasn't as much of a boxer vs. wrestler fight as some of the previous fights, but if the experts were right, both fighters would use their stronger discipline to dictate where the fight was to occur. To win, Capriotti knew he had to get to the ground, and he had no trouble doing so, although Kinte also scored a successful head scratching take down. While on the ground, Capriotti use his ground and pound quite effectively and scored a decision victory despite taking some powerful head shots in the standup during the process.

Madz Ladz vs. Gyawang Lhad - Both fighters joined MFN when we opened the 265 weight class and enjoyed some success since. Ladz has a weight advantage, but Lhad is a little bit taller. Experts agreed that this one was going to come down to either Ladz winning on the ground, or Lhad winning in the clinch as both fighters have had a high percentage of their wins coming as KOs. The last thing everyone in the arena assumed is that this fight would go the distance and be a decision. Just like the experts predicted, Ladz aggressively went for takedowns, but Lhad used his reach advantage to land many kicks and elbows in the clinch. When the end of the third round occurred, everyone in the arena knew that Lhad had out performed Ladz during the fight and he was rewarded with a decision victory.

Raekwon The Chef vs. Derek Zoolander - The Chef came within moments of winning the 155 division championship against Taphorn months ago and has been working on getting his shot at new champ Bobby Butcher (whom he defeated earlier in his MFN career) ever since. Zoolander has also had some recent success. Both fighters are quite proficient across all fighting disciplines, with The Chef having the slightest of edges in BJJ, even though neither fighter is a submission artist. The fans in attendance knew this one was going to be a good, close fight between two highly skilled fighters. Most of the fight occurred in the clinch, with The Chef getting the edge due to many cumulative damage causing punches to Zoolander. Outside of the clinch, Zoolander won, but due to his work in the clinch, the Chef impressed the judges enough to win by decision.

Jan Olov Hermansson vs. Herkules Nowacki - In the co-main event for the night, two fighters who recently have had trouble finding consistency faced off. The reason for the failed consistency is more to do with the talent level of the 155 weight class and not necessarily their individual skills. Hermansson definitely has an advantage on the ground and with submissions over Nowacki, who had a huge Muai Thai and slight boxing advantage. So, it was another wrestler vs. boxer type of fight. For the majority of the fight, Hermansson was winning. He dominated the first round and comfortably won the second round using his ground advantage well. It wasn't until the middle of the final round that Nowacki landed a critical head punch in the clinch that ended the fight via KO.

Troy Lancaster vs. Ryan Wagner - Wagner has found a great deal of success at MFN. He was even the 170 champion and successfully defended his title 3 times. Lancaster was making his first match at MFN, but has been a champion previously. Continuing with the theme for the night, this match was also a wrestler vs. boxer type of match as Lancaster is more of a ground fighter compared to Wagner's standup ability. Lancaster did try to take this one to the ground, but Wagner exhibited spectacular takedown defense each time and this fight stayed off the ground entirely. Even though Lancaster didn't get to use his ground skills, he still put up one heck of a fight dominating in the clinch. Wagner just landed way too many shots in the standup for the judges to award the fight to Lancaster. Overall it was the right decision, based on the fight, and hopefully Lancaster will rebound from the loss quickly.

Mankinwa was hoping to get a review on his win ve callaghan

I'm planning on doing a review of all events on our World Tour... so that particular event's review will be coming in the next few days. We had a good writer for a few months that made my life easier but he moved on to org ownership and such. Since then I haven't had enough time to do all the write-ups, which is why i hired him in the first place. For our World Tour, though, I am making time because its a big step for our org :)

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1412094808MFN_147_poster2.jpg

MFN 147 : Tapporauta

Up next on our World Tour was Helsinki, and here's the song that the event was inspired by (feel free to sing along) :

Joe Frazier vs. Carolus Rex - In the first MFN fight ever in Helsinki, we had a matchup of two fighters trying to find success at MFN. Frazier was making his 2nd appearance for the org, while Rex was making his 3rd. Both fighters have some boxing and Muai Thai ability, but Rex also is known for some wrestling skills. The experts predicted this one would go to the judges table with a decision, however the fans were pleasantly treated to a quick fight when Frazier connected with a huge uppercut and sent Rex crashing to the ground. Moments later it was over before it really began.

Hiruku Matah vs. Freddy Lee - The "Korean Chuck Norris" was favored in the next matchup of ground fighters as Matah has a bit more skill boxing-wise than Lee does. Matah had not won a fight at MFN in his three previous fights with the org, and Lee was also looking for his first MFN victory in two previous attempts. Everyone in the arena knew this one would be settled on the ground, and the fighters did not disappoint. Almost immediately when the fight began Matah got Lee on the ground and began to work. Eventually the submission artists each got a submission attempt in as they battled for position on the ground, but it was Lee who got his opponent to tap first.

Douglas Lima vs. Myers Hockles - Both fighters have been with MFN for some time now, with Hockles having more fights fought under the MFN banner than Lima. Surprisingly these two had not faced each other previously. Lima is definitely more skilled as a boxer, whereas Hockles has more muai thai skills. When this one began, most fans figured Lima would use his boxing advantage but instead he decided to shoot in for a takedown. Hockles was definitely surprised by this tactic, but eventually he got off the ground and began his own attack. After pretty much dominating the second half of the first round, Hockles continued his momentum into the second round and scored a TKO victory before the 2 minute mark due to his ability to keep landing kicks.

Keith Richards vs. Bach Schtrappe - Going into this matchup, Richards had more success winning within MFN than Schtrappe did. As a matter of fact, Schtrappe had only won 1 out of his first 5 fights at MFN. Both fighters are skilled across all fighting disciplines, but Richards has a bit more skill muai thai-wise, whereas Schtrappe is the definition of a generalist fighter. Most experts agreed that Richards was favored in this matchup, but the skills of Schtrappe should not be discounted either. Overall, this fight wound up being pretty exciting as the fighters alternated between the standup and the clinch positions. When the fight concluded, and went to the judges table, Richards had just landed more of his shots during the fight than Schtrappe did. This made it a relatively easy decision for the judges as they awarded Richards the victory.

Anderson Fontes vs. Ricky Fontaine - 2 members of the 265 weight class were up next on the card, and both had found early success in their MFN careers. Weight-wise, both Fontes and Fontaine came in at 270 pounds, but Fontaine had a slight height advantage. Both fighters have some skill across all of the fighting disciplines, but experts figured this would be more or less a kickboxing match between the fighters. 12 seconds into the fight it ended, as Fontes landed a huge head kick securing one of the fastest KO victories in MFN history.

Harry Pigeon vs. Roope Latvala - Most fans had this match circled on their event cards as the fight that could go either way. Both fighters are skilled almost identically, weigh only 1 pound different, and are only 2 cm difference height-wise. It was truly a toss up when trying to figure out which fighter should be favored in this matchup, especially considering that both fighters had also only fought once previously at MFN. When the fight began, it was clear both fighters were targetting each other's head, and in a night of quick fights, this one also did not make it to the two minute mark when Latvala scored a KO victory following a great left/right combination and some ground and pound.

Andrey Tutov vs. Friedrich Bergfried - Both Tutov nd Bergfried were looking to use momentum from this match to keep climbing the depth chart in the 135 weight class at MFN and as justification for a future title shot with some continued success. Last time they fought Tutov emerged victorious and seemed rather confident going into the fight. Both fighters can fight and win anywhere in the cage as both are highly skilled in all of the fighting disciplines. This fight wound up going the entire way to the judges table, as Bergfried won the standup but Tutov won the ground and did just enough in the standup to win. It was a rather entertaining match.

Taneli Maija vs. Neymar Santos - Both Maija and Santos have just about destroyed every opponent that MFN has offered them. Maija is more of a submission artist than Santos, so it was clear Santos' plan was to stay off the ground to win. Santos is a tad heavier than Maija but Taneli is a bit taller than Santos. The key difference between these two fighters is in age, as Maija is 11 years older than Santos. Prior to the match, Maija referred to Santos as his "little brother" and it was clear Santos was offended by the remark. This one (like a few others this evening) was over before it began when Santos dropped Maija with a flying knee just after the 1 minute mark securing a TKO victory.

Harry Callahan vs. Ugor Makinwa - Two well decorated fighters in the 205 weight class making their MFN debuts were next. When analyzing the fighters, experts agreed that Callahan had a slight BJJ advantage while Makinwa had a slight boxing advantage. Callahan was also heavier and taller than Makinwa. Despite these facts, most experts were picking Makinwa as the fighter most likely to succeed. When this match started, it was clear Callahan was planning on taking is attack to the ground by scoring an early takedown. As the match progressed Callahan would score a takedown eventually having Makinwa battle back to his feet. Attack-wise both fighters featured their opponent's head moreso than his body, almost equivalently. This one came down to the judges, and after a very close decision, Makinwa was awarded the victory mostly due to his effectiveness improving his ground position and landing a few ground strikes. The ironic part was that Callahan is the better ground fighter, but Makinwa was the fighter who won the ground tonight outside of the takedown points Callahan was awarded.

Steve Belliveau vs. Vic Thory - In the main event for the evening, both fighters were told before the fight began that the winner would be getting a title shot against current 185 weight class champion Nir Sosa. Thory held that title for a few fights recently, and was considered the favorite by the experts. Thory is also a bit older than Belliveau, but Belliveau is quickly gaining both respect and fans within MFN as he has consistently won tough matches against favored opponents. If Belliveau could've avoid the ground, he may have won this one too. By the time this one went to the judges table, Thory had definitely landed more shots than Belliveau, but Belliveau's shots were more damaging. Thory did get Belliveau on the ground once, and landed a significant amount of ground and pound in that time. After the match the judges mentioned that aspect as the reason they awarded Thory a decision victory.

• Upvote 1

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1412017548MFN_148_poster.jpg

MFN 148 : Down Under

In our 4th stop on the World Tour, MFN visited Sydney. The inspiration for the event name came from the song below :

Joe Spencer vs. Olivier Levasseur - Nobody has fought more matches at MFN than Levasseur, as he has spent his entire career with the organization. Spencer came in winless at MFN in 5 attempts. Both fighters have proficiency on the ground, but Spencer is known for some boxing as well. Most experts agreed that Spencer's boxing would be the difference in the fight. Not long after the fight started, Levasseur scored a nice takedown but was quickly reversed by Spencer. Following that reversal there was a nice battle for position on the ground between the combatants that continued through the rest of the fight. Eventually in round 3, Levasseur not only scored a takedown but also a submission victory. Spencer should have spent more time trying to stand toe to toe with Levasseur.

Dougie Silva vs. Rubin Carter - In the second fight of the evening, 2 guys with somewhat even MFN fight records took eachother on. Carter, hailing from Sydney, definitely had some of the home crowd fans behind him and it created somewhat of a hostile environment for Silva. With that being said, before the match Silva indicated that he may use his muai thai advantage during the fight. It may have been a tactic to confuse Carter, as the match played out it was clear Silva was more content to standup and kick Carter. And kick Carter, he did. Over and over. Finally right before the round 2 bell, Silva cracked Carter with a beautiful combination and stunned the fans with a KO victory.

Karl Boreling vs. Gennakin Golovdy - Up next we had a classic boxer vs. wrestler type of match with Boreling being the wresler and Golovdy being the boxer. Both fighters are relatively new to MFN as members of MFN's 205 weight class. Typically with boxer vs. wrestler type of matches usually either the boxer wins early or the wrestler wins later on in the match. Surprisingly tonight the match was decided very quickly on the ground when a very motivated looking Boreling cut Golovdy with an early punch, followed that up with a solid takedown, and then proceeded to pummel Golovdy with ground and pound. A very quick ground KO victory for Boreling who after the fight had barely broken a sweat.

Tristin Shonuck vs. William Lord - Both fighters in the next match are skilled in all 4 fighting disciplines. Shonuck has a slight edge with his muai thai ability, but Lord has a slight edge with his BJJ skills. The fans in attendance figured they would be seeing a good, quality match that could be fought on the ground, in the clinch, and in the standup. Coming into the fight, both combatants had losing streaks going for their MFN careers, although not very long ones. This one wound up not ever reaching the ground as both fighters seemed more comfortable to keep it standing. There was a brief moment in the clinch but a spinning back fist early in round 2 ended the fight for Lord with Shonuck being given the KO victory.

Igor Gago vs. Jimmy Hoffer - Both of the next match's fighters are from Montreal and really were looking forward to visiting Sydney. They placed a pre-fight wager on the direction that the water in the toilet would flush. For all intents and purposes, Hoffer was favored in this matchup. He has a better reach due to being taller than Gago, so most fans agreed that Gago had a pretty tough uphill climb coming into this fight. Surprisingly this one went the distance to the judges table as Gago proved his chin could take a lot of punishment. Hoffer targetted Gago's head relentlessly, but Gago stood in there, earning much respect from the crowd in the process. Gago was relentless in his takedown attempts, but Hoffer also displayed fantastic takedown defense as well as good ability to land ground and pound when it counted. Overall this fight wasn't close and Hoffer earned his decision victory.

Ben Jackson vs. Tommaso Baroni - Jackson was making his long awaited MFN debut, whereas Baroni was 2-0 since joining MFN. One of these two was going to leave Sydney with his first loss at MFN and most experts picked Jackson as the fighter most likely to succeed. Jackson is noted for having elite level boxing ability, whereas Baroni (who is no slouch boxing-wise himself) is more known for his elite level wrestling ability. Even though this fight could be argued under the classification of the boxer vs. wrestler category of fights, in reality Jackson and Baroni are skilled across all fighting disciplines. Both men scored early cuts on their opponent and clearly dedicated their tactics to keeping the fight standing, which put Baroni at a disadvantage. In the first round Jackson dominated, but as the fight went on there was a clear momentum shift towards Baroni. Eventually when this fight made it to the judges table, the judges also saw that momentum swing and awarded Baroni a close, hard fought decision victory.

Udo Hitzlsperger vs. Ivan Terrible - Before the match, Ivan tried to get inside Udo's head with some well placed smack talk. Udo, ever the consummate professional, never wound up responding and let his fists do the responding for him. Experts figured this fight would be another interesting fight as each fighter was pretty close skills-wise and could be effective in any position. This one wound up coming down to aggression...mostly in the clinch. Udo felt comfortable in the clinch and definitely used the position effectively as he pounded Terrible over and over with punch after punch in the clinch. Terrible took a lot of punishment, which says a lot about his chin, but eventually Udo wore Terrible down enough to score a TKO win with some fantastic dirty boxing in the clinch.

Wolfram Stelzer vs. Nate Kingston - The next two fighters have fought each other before, as both have been with MFN for a significant amount of time. Stelzer vowed to gain revenge for the decision loss he had last time at Kingston's hands. Most fans as well as the experts figured this one was going to be decided by which fighter's submission attempts would get the opponent to tap out. By the time that this one made it to the judges table, a total of 23 submission attempts had been performed by both fighters combined... but nobody tapped out. It was a sheer testament to the submission ability of both men. The judges did not agree as one judge sided with each fighter before the third and final judge cast his deciding vote in Stelzer's favor. After the match the deciding judge stated that it was Stelzer's successful takedowns that gave him the edge over Kingston's failed takedown attempts. Both fighters worked hard and were proficient on the ground, it was just the takedown success by Stelzer that awarded him the decision victory.

Jeremy Ring vs. Juan Pablo Green - In the co-main event, the 170 weight class was featured as two of its high ranked contenders battled each other to try and make a case for a title shot against the reigning champion. Ring has fought for the title before, coming up short against Dogu, and Green is trying to get enough notoriety to land his title shot in the future. Ring definitely has a muai thai advantage over Green, but Green has a slight wrestling advantage over Ring. Surprisingly, this fight never got to the ground even though it went the distance and came down to the judges' decision. Ring kept the fight in the clinch as much as possible almost tiring himself out with all of the clinch attempts. Green used counter moves successfully though, as it seemed every time Ring would come in for a clinch attempt, if he failed, Green would make him eat a punch or kick. As a result, when it came time to decide a winner, the judges went with Green giving him the decision victory over Ring.

Ron Lemieux vs. Johnny Hendricks - In the main event of the evening home crowd in Sydney was treated to a fantastic match between the 135 weight champion (Lemieux) who lives in Sydney and a challenger with some great momentum (Hendricks) based in Tokyo. Lemieux was definitely the crowd favorite not just in this match but for the entire event. For almost the entire match the Sydney fans chanted his name over and over creating a very hostile environment for Hendricks. Both men have been absolute wrecking machines during their time at MFN, with Lemieux in the middle of his second stint as the champion and Hendricks beating some very accomplished fighters en route to earning his date with Lemieux. Skills-wise, Hendricks also provided some challenges for Lemieux both on the ground and boxing-wise, but Ron Lemieux always seems to overcome any opponent no matter how much of an advantage or disadvantage he is presented with. From the start of the fight, it had a feel of a fight that would come down to the judges and by the time it did, we saw an equal amount of time on the ground and standing for the fighters. Both fighters gave it their all, but the home crowd and the significant amount of successful head punches awarded Lemieux another decision victory over a very tough challenger.

• Upvote 1

Abed Nadir: I never hated a man like I hate Ugor Makinwa. Mofo stole my kitty, shits personal now. I want to slap the tires of his ass, than I going to eat his kids and show his wife the good life.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1412019797MFN_149_poster.jpg

MFN 149: Unleashed in the East

Our 5th stop on MFN's World Tour brought us to the Tokyo Bowl where we rocked it.

Some may not recognize the image on the poster, but that's Judas Priest. Back in the late 70s they released a live album that this event was named after. Here's the best song on that album played a few years later:

Francisco Manuel Ibanez vs. Hung Lo - We open the night with a local fighter from Tokyo stepping up and taking on a fairly experienced fighter. This was Ibanez's first fight for six months and he was very excited. Before the match Hung Lo knew he had a challenge in front of him by facing an unknown fighter. When the match started it became clear that Lo was going to try and win the fight in the clinch. He successfully pulled Ibanez into the clinch a few times, but each time it was Ibanez who was dishing out the punishment. 12 seconds into round two, while in the clinch, Ibanez dropped Lo with a big uppercut and scored a KO victory. This could be the first in many victories for the promising youngster.

Johann Bismark vs. Dan Swano - After the first exciting match, the second match between two members of the 205 weight class began. Swano was still looking for his first win at MFN, whereas Bismark was looking to build on the momentum he attained from his victory in his only previous match with MFN. Just like Ibanez previously, Bismark is a local resident of Tokyo, and thus had the crowd on his side from the moment he walked down to the cage until the end of the fight. Both men have won by submission before, but Swano has many other ways to beat his opponent. From the beginning it was clear that Bismark was going to try and get another submission win. Submission attempt after submission attempt all failed. Finally by the time this one went to the judges table for a decision, Bismark had attempted a whopping 23 submissions without succeeding. Swano clearly made up his mind that he was not going to tap out, but played this fight too defensively for the judges opinion, and Bismark was awarded a decision victory.

Xiahou Dun vs. Sanji Sanpun - Up next we had two fighters who had come a long way to fight in Tokyo. Dun hails from New York, whereas Sanpun resides in Rio de Janerio. Coming in, Sanpun had somewhat of a losing streak built up, whereas Dun was looking to build on the win in his MFN debut. Both men possessed skills across the board in terms of fighting ability, and could readily use any of the fighting disciplines to secure a victory. This made for an interesting and close match. Early on, Sanpun scored a successful takedown, and it became clear that he felt strongest on the ground. Dun, on the other hand, tried to stay boxing and kicking, but by the time this one went to decision, it was a relatively easy decision to make. Sanpun was awarded a decision victory and nobody in the audience was surprised, even though Dun landed a few good shots it just wasn't enough.

Felipe Calderon vs. Abed Nadir - Calderon is well known in Las Vegas, but once again the crowd had a local fighter to cheer for when Nadir came down to the cage. Calderon is an elite boxer with hands that have ended many fights, whereas Nadir (who also has some boxing ability) was predicted to go to the ground and avoid Calderon's fists. Although exactly what most fans and experts agreed would happen tactically for both fighters, it was Calderon who ate a huge combination of punches from Nadir early in round 2 and was done. Before that combination, most of Nadir's damage had been done with ground strikes, but as he showed the audience, Nadir also can punch with the best of them.

Magnus Landeskog vs. Jean-Louis Andre - The tale of Landeskog's career is quite a story. He showed a ton of promise early on, but right when he was on the cusp of greatness, he started to lose fights. After 4 straight losses, Landeskog's career path was very much in the air. He needed to right the course of it before he faded away into mediocrity. Landeskog's opponent, Andre, is a solid fighter who has failed to be consistently successful. In this matchup, Landeskog was the better ground fighter, while Andre was the better standup fighter. Landeskog scored a relatively early takedown but it was Andre who surprised most of the fans by going for submissions off his back. Even though the submissions were not successful, it gave Landeskog more to think about while he was maneuvering and going for submissions of his own. Eventually this one went to the judges table, as even though both fighters were active on the ground, neither could score a successful submission and get his opponent to tap out. The judges awarded the victory to Landeskog, although there was some controversy as one judge clearly liked Andre but most fans figured Landeskog performed better due to his successful takedowns.

Nickolai Ketchum vs. Django Unchained - Another local fighter was in the next match, as chants of "Django! Django!" rang through the Tokyo Bowl as he came down to the cage. Ketchum, hailing from Los Angeles, was the underdog in the crowd's eyes as well as most experts. He faced a tough crowd and a tough opponent. Django is proficient in all fighting disciplines and is well trained. Ketchum is more of a heavy handed, intelligent boxer with some wrestling ability. Ketchum also came into the fight with significantly more experience, but the hostile crowd towards him did not care. As the fight began, it was clear Ketchum's plan was to beat Django on his feet. He hit him over and over with head and body punches, even knocking him down 2 minutes into the fight. Every punch that Ketchum landed seemed to open up Django, as he bled more and more from the strikes. Eventually, the referee stopped the fight in Ketchum's favor, as Django's face was beaten into a bloody mess. The crowd was displeased, but it was a huge victory for Ketchum.

Vincent Mangano vs. Kyle Turris - After that bloody match, a couple of long standing MFN fighters faced off. Even though between them they have fought a combined 21 fights at MFN, they had never faced each other. Turris tends to fight for a decision, whereas most of Mangano's fights are settled by KO. Both men are skilled boxers, but Turris has some success on the ground as well. Fans and experts were predicting a boxing match and a quick big hook at almost the 2 minute point in the match sent Mangano to the ground. Turris won by KO with some well placed head shots.

Bernard Benton vs. Craig Anderson - After losing to future MFN Hall of Famer Rob Tracey in his last fight, Benton came into this fight with Anderson looking to rebound and return to winning. Anderson, on the other hand, was looking to capitalize on the win in his last fight and continue to put his losing streak from earlier in the year behind him. On paper, this one had the look of a boxer (Benton) vs. wrestler (Anderson) based on the proficiencies for each fighter in those areas. Anderson knew that to win, he needed to get Benton on the ground, and that is exactly what he did. In this match Benton never could really get his attack started and Anderson dominated the position. With no surprise, Anderson was awarded the decision victory and was clearly better than Benton tonight. Benton will rebound though... count on it.

Simon Phoenix vs. CJ Richards - In the co-main event, Phoenix and Richards were ready to go to war. Neither fighter has had consistent success upon joining MFN, but both claimed that they were ready to change that fact before their fight began. Phoenix's strengths are more boxing-based whereas Richards is more suited for ground fighting, and each fighter's plan for the match was clear very early in the match. Richards was able to score an early takedown, and immediately went to work on Phoenix. To Richards' surprise, it was Phoenix who started using submissions in an attempt to make Richards tap. After a few failed attempts as well as some jockeying back and forth for position, Phoenix secured a rear naked choke on Richards and the match was over as Richards feverishly hit the mat. What a surprise finish!

Douglas Quaid vs. Johny Slicer - As we said goodbye to Tokyo, MFN featured 2 members of the 265 weight class. Quaid was making his MFN debut, whereas Slicer was facing his 5th opponent at MFN. This one was billed as the Muai Thai fighter (Quaid) versus the Wrestler (Slicer) as these men came down to the cage. Quaid knew that with a win he would be strongly considered for a title shot next month, whereas Slicer also mentioned a title shot as a possibility in his pre-fight interview. Neither man hailed from Tokyo, so by the time this fight happened quite a few of the fans had left already. It was comparable to a Catholic church after Communion but before dismissal. Those that stayed saw a relatively quick fight with Quaid doing his best "head hunter" impression scoring an early second round KO with an absolutely brutal left hook. "Bring on the champion...whoever he is" Quaid shouted after the fight.

• Upvote 2

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1412020086MFN_150_poster.jpg

MFN 150: Hooray For Hollywood

Our 6th and largest stop on the MFN World Tour brought us to the Los Angeles Coliseum, where in front of our biggest crowd ever MFN brought the house down with a fantastic event.

In keeping with the music theme, here's the song that served as the inspiration for the event's title :

Rodniel Romero vs. Adam Ash - We opened up the Los Angeles Coliseum with a fight between a couple of MFN veterans. Both fighters have spent some time with MFN, and while Ash has experienced some recent success, Romero was looking to get back on track with a victory. Romero was fighting infront of his home crowd, and there was a slightly louder pop for him as he came down to the cage, but Ash (being from New York) was not treated as an outsider either. Romero is more known for his submission abilities, whereas Ash is more of a generalist type of fighter who can do a little bit of everything. As the fight began, Ash got Romero on the ground early, which was interesting because this fed into the strengths of his opponent. Once the referee stood up the fighters in round 1, Ash maintained a stance of trying to keep the fight standing. He did most of his damage there, and by the time this one went to the judges table it was an easy decision for the judges to give Ash the win. Romero just didn't do enough and appeared to be fighting to not lose the fight instead of trying to win the fight.

Canadian Hero vs. Hiro Nohara - The next fight was billed as the "Hero vs. Hiro" match. Nohara hails from Tokyo, whereas Hero is from New York. Neither fighter had any particular draw with the crowd, so MFN officials pushed the Hero name gimmic to give the fight some press. Both fighters are similarly skilled and known for their abilities to take the fight anywhere using any style. The fans knew that this one would be a close chess match between the two "Heroes". From the beginning of the fight, it looked as though Nohara's plan was to win on the ground. Throughout the match, Nohara tried 5 takedowns and was successful at getting Hero on the ground twice. Hero actually tried to keep things in the clinch and was very effective there. Eventually this one reached the judges table, and there was some debate on whom would be awarded the win. Nohara had clearly won the first round, but Hero had some success in rounds 2 and 3. This one was so close that the judges were overheard discussing exactly how many strikes each fighter landed in the fight. Eventually the judges came back with a decision favoring Hero as the winner. They cited his clinch effectiveness as the deciding factor. Score one for Hero.

Wango Tango vs. Stephen Dyer - In our third fight of the event, we had Tango vs. Dyer. Neither fighter had any particular connection to Los Angeles, and the crowd reacted as such. As a matter of fact as this one got under way many fans decided to visit the concession stands. While some fans were away, they missed a quick end to a fight that seemed to be over before it even got started. Dyer definitely had a ground advantage, whereas Tango had the advantage in the standup. 57 seconds and three head kicks into the fight, Dyer crumpled to the ground as his face ate a massive head kick from Tango.

Yang Xinhai vs. Anton Chekhov - Up next we had a couple of fighters from our bantamweight class. As Chekhov came down the main aisle on his way to the cage, he received a massive home crowd welcome. Chekhov has plenty of fans in the Los Angeles area, and Xinhai (hailing from St. Petersburg) was booed mercilessly. The build up to round 1 had a feel like the movie Rocky IV, where instead of Rocky getting the hostile Russian crowd, it was Xinhai getting the hostile Los Angeles crowd. Both fighters are very high skilled and well known for being able to win in any position. As a matter of fact Chekhov briefly held the bantamweight class championship. Neither fighter could be pegged to take the fight in a certain area, so this one was a complete toss up as to how it would play out. Xinhai didn't waste any time getting Chekhov on the ground with a very early takedown. It wasn't too long afterwards the referee stood the fighters back up and this fight never made it to the ground again. After Xinhai dominated the first round, Chekhov's corner must have inspired him because it was Chekhov who won rounds 2 and 3. It was another close match on the card, but most of this particular fight happened in the clinch and Chekhov was clearly more effective there. The judges awarded Chekhov a decision victory, and the crowd went nuts when the decision was announced.

Yo Adrian vs. Toni Eerkilaa - Up next we had a rematch of a fight from a few months ago between two super heavyweights. Both men weigh exactly 300 pounds but Adrian has a significant height advantage. Neither man is a submission artist, so most fans and experts felt that this matchup was going to be a standup street fight type of match. Right off the bat, it was Adrian who knocked Eerkilaa down with a wonderful cross punch. After a few more minutes of strikes being exchanged, Adrian knocked Eerkilaa down again and this one was over. It was another quick fight, but it was evident that Adrian's reach advantage and boxing skills were just too much for Eerkilaa.

Tony Montana vs. Jason Spezza - Two Montreal crowd favorites were up next as both fighters have been with MFN for over a year. In their last fight back on September 20th, Spezza and Montana fought to a tie in a controversial judges decision. Both men agreed that this time they were going to settle that score. When analyzing both men, it appears that Montana has the advantage in the standup, even though he has more submission victories, while Spezza's advantage lies on the ground. In round 1, Spezza went to use his advantage, scoring a takedown, but after some failed submission attempts by Montana the round was very even. Round 2 was almost a carbon copy of the action from round 1, and was another close round. All signs pointed to this one being another draw at the judges table as the fight was dead even after 2 rounds. In the third round, though, Spezza landed a big right hand and TKOed Montana to finally settle the score between these two lightweight class veterans. After the match Montana was quiet, but Spezza commented on how he was looking forward to continuing his recent ascent up the lightweight class roster.

Django Brown vs. Dave Gomes - Django has never fought for another organization in his career. He is a life-long veteran at MFN, while Gomes has also spent most of his career with the organization. Both men had recent success coming in and the fans were promised to a match between two guys with championship aspirations. Brown is the definition of a submission artist, as 11 of his 14 career victories have been won by submission. Gomes too has ground skills, but he is more of a wrestler than a submission artist. Both men are 25 and still have long, great careers ahead of them. One thing was certain, though, that this fight was going to be a ground battle. Before 1 minute into the match, Gomes scored a successful takedown and went to work grounding and pounding Brown. Brown never could really get his position on the ground improved as Gomes rained fists down from mount. It didn't take long before Brown was out. Yes, Brown had ground skills, but Gomes never let him use them as he scored a first round TKO.

Hector Linhares vs. Ryan O Reily - Both of these colossal fan favorites of the bantamweight class have faced similar opponents but never each other in their long history with MFN. Linhares has never fought anywhere else and O Reily left the organization and came back for another stint. Both have championship aspirations and this match was viewed with a potential title shot for the winner against current champion Ron Lemieux. Both men are elite on the ground with O Reily having some additional submission abilities over Linhares, but Linhares has the boxing advantage in the eyes of most experts. Neither man hailed from Los Angeles, however that didn't stop an energized crowd from cheering on both fighters as both men are well known around the world. O Reily dominated round 1, even scoring a takedown. In round 2, however, it was a different story with Linhares getting the nod due to some fantastic boxing. In round 3 O Reily managed another takedown but Linhares reversed it. With Linhares in the more dominant position, O Reily was able to surprise everyone in the arena by locking an armbar in that sent Linhares tapping. It was somewhat of a surprise to see O Reily win from the bottom like that, but a submission artist can be compared to a viper ready to strike at any moment.

Jon Irenicus vs. Borin Chim - In the co-main event we had two very well known fighters from the lightweight class. Irenicus is the man who finally defeated former champ Peter Taphorn, but he was unsuccessful in holding the belt in his first title defense. Chim, on the other hand, made most of his name in New York, but has been an absolute wrecking machine upon joining the MFN roster. Before this match began, everyone in the Los Angeles Coliseum knew that whichever fighter emerged victorious would likely get a title shot against the current champion. Both men can win in just about any position, but it was Irenicus that has a boxing edge. Most experts figured that Irenicus would use this advantage to keep the fight standing, whereas Chim was a better kicker and might use his kicks to keep Irenicus at bay. When this match started, both fighters were very content to remain standing. Irenicus, ever the head hunter, targetted Chim's head relentlessly while Chim went after Irenicus with leg kicks to keep some distance between the fighters. After the first round ended, it looked like Irenicus was making another strong statement showing his dominance, but about midway through round 2 Chim snuck a brilliant cross in there that stunned Irenicus. He followed that up with a combination that Irenicus did not recover from.

Heinz Doofenshmirtz vs. William Burns - In the main event two members of the heavyweight class faced off for the class title. Doofenshmirtz had recently become champion with a nice win in his last fight over Escobar De Vega, but Burns in pre-fight interviews vowed that Doofenshmimrtz's title reight would be short lived. Doofenshmirtz definitely had the home crowd behind him, as he trains in Los Angeles. Burns has a significant weight advantage to him, so this fight was shaping up to be a speed versus power type of match. Doofenshmirtz definitely had the speed advantage but to win he would have to withstand the raw power from Burns. Both men are elite muai thai fighters, so fans expected to see much of this fight in the clinch and with some great elbows, knees, and kicks. The fans were not disappointed. Most of the fight did, in fact, occur in the clinch, however Burns was very effect landing many head punches while in the position. Near the end of round 1, while in the clinch, Burns unloaded a huge uppercut that Doofenshmirtz did not recover. Burns was crowned the new heavyweight champion of MFN thanks to a savage beatdown that he delivered onto Doofenchmirtz.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1412020838MFN_151_poster.jpg

MFN 151: New York, New York

Continuing our World Tour, MFN hit New York next. The Frank Sinatra song "New York, New York" served as the inspiration for the title of the event :

Tim Hansen vs. Ali Pasha - We opened the event in Montreal's closest rival city with an up and coming 23 year old (Pasha) taking on a seasoned 32 year old veteran (Hansen). Hansen is definitely known for his ability to force submissions and Pasha is definitely a boxer with some ability on the ground as a wrestler. Although Pasha is significantly younger than Hansen, he actually has had more fights with MFN than Hansen being (for the most part) successful. When this fight began, it almost appeared that Hansen was going to box with Pasha, but Pasha caused miss after miss. Eventually round 1 completed with Pasha clearly dominating the fight as Hansen only tried a couple of takedowns, failing each time. In the second round Pasha dropped Hansen with a cross followed a short time later with a head kick that earned Pasha a 2nd round KO victory.

Rafael Suez vs. Andrzej Rostowski - Suez brought about 12 members of his family into the audience tonight, and referred to them as his inspiration before the fight. Suez also came in on a nice 3 fight win streak. Rostowski, on the other hand, had significant time since the last time he stepped in the MFN cage as his last fight never occurred due to a no contest as Diego Nunes never showed up for their fight. Both men featured fantastic ground games with quality submission abilities. Fans knew they were going to see which of these men would tap first. Surprisingly, by the time this one reached the judges table, there were only 3 total submission attempts. Rostowski was in defensive mode for the entire fight appearing to fight to not lose the fight instead of fighting to try and win the fight. His lack of aggressiveness cost him a decision as Suez emerged victorious after the judges made their ruling.

Shuya Nanahara vs. Lord Vladimir - Nanahara, in his last fight, was unable to defeat Police State when they fought for the 205 title back in September. Vladimir, who had a nice record coming into the fight, was making his MFN debut. Both fighters weighed in at exactly 215 pounds, although Vladimir is just a little bit taller than Nanahara. Nanahara is the better boxer of the two combattants, whereas Vladimir is the better wrestler. Both fighters, though, have abilities in all of the fighting disciplines. Even so, most fans figured Vladimir would try to get to the ground, whereas Nanahara would do his best to keep the fight standing. Fans were not disappointed, as almost immediately Vladimir took Nanahara down and began working for a submission. When round 1 completed, Nanahara looked like he was in trouble as Vladimir was dominating the fight. Following some words of encouragement from his trainer, Nanahara started to land some good, solid strikes. By the time the second round was complete, the fight was pretty even with each fighter dominating one of the rounds. In order to capitalize on his momentum, Nanahara started the third round with some quick, aggressive strikes. One of those strikes was a big overhand right that ended the night for Vladimir as Nanahara scored a third round KO.

Bong Ki Duk vs. Ghiorghos Papadopolous - In the next fight, a couple of 265 class fighters took each other on in the cage in a classic standup vs. ground fighter type of match. Duk is definitely the proficient boxer and muai thai fighter, whereas Papadopolous is definitely a wrestler. Papadopolous also outweighed Duk by 6 pounds, but Duk is significantly taller than Papadopolous. Most fans predicted that Duk's reach advantage would be the difference in the fight. This one was over fairly quickly, but not quite the way that most had figured it would end. It was actually an incredible aggressive clinch onslaught by Duk that ended the fight. Papadopolous was clearly not ready for that clinchwork by Duk and left the cage angry and shell shocked.

Rob Tracey vs. Moses Ohchooto - A couple of long standing MFN fighters took each other on next, as future Hall of Famer Tracey faced New York native Ohchooto. It may have been a long time since Tracey held the belt as champion over the 145 weight class, but he is still an elite level talent, while Ohchooto has had recent success at MFN as well. Neither fighter is particularly known for their ground skills, but Tracey is a boxer whereas Ohchooto is a muai thai fighter. Tracey is also a little heavier and taller than Ohchooto. Surprisingly, not long after this fight began, it was Tracey who took Ohchooto down and began pounding him from the ground. From a strategy perspective, the tactic seemed to catch Ohchooto off guard and not too much time later Ohchooto lost. Its hard to defend ground and pound from a future Hall of Famer while in the mount position.

Mike Ross vs. Bam Margera - Continuing the New York versus Montreal theme, home town favorite Ross looked to get some revenge for Ohchooto in the next fight against Margera, who hails from Montreal. Both Margera and Ross are very skilled across all fighting disciplines enabling either fighter to take the fight any way they wanted to. From a defensive preparation standpoint, it also makes it impossible to defend against an opponent when they can adapt their gameplan to whatever they wish. Simply put, you can't defend everything. Before the match, Margera mentioned in the pre-fight interview that he is trying to make a case to get a title shot soon. Ross has unfortunately had mixed results at MFN, but looked to begin a winning streak. Without a surprise, this fight did wind up going the distance to the judges table. To be honest, it was not hard for them to pick a winner. Since this fight spent the most time in the clinch, and Margera was more effective in the clinch, he walked away happy with a decision victory continuing his winning streak.

Peter Taphorn vs. Abah Okafor - Up next the 145 title was on the line as New York native Taphorn took on a challenger from Amsterdam (Okafor). Taphorn has been quite dominant during his time at MFN and has also held the 155 weight class title before dropping weight to change classes. Okafor presented quite a challenge for Taphorn, though, as Okafor has many proficient ways to beat a fighter in his resume. Taphorn needed to be especially careful as Okafor can throw a viscous head kick. Most experts agreed that if Okafor could stay off the ground, he had a good chance at becoming the new champion. It wasn't long into the fight that the theory was tested when Taphorn scored an early takedown. Okafor was able to escape, only to be taken down again. The pattern would continue for the entire fight, as Taphorn was pretty successful at taking Okafor down, but Okafor was adept at defending himself on the ground from the submission attempts. After round five, the judges had to make a decision, and it was not a hard one to make. The decision was not surrounded in controversy either, as everyone in the arena knew that Taphorn would win. Taphorn simply had not allowed Okafor to control the fight because he kept successfully taking him down. Taphorn's dominance at MFN continues.

Tommy Mayor vs. Lucas Bane - In the co-main event, the self appointed during his pre-fight interview "Mayor of New York" took on Bane, who is relatively unknown within the MFN crowd due to his hailing from Sydney. Both men are amazing boxers first and have some ability on the ground. Mayor is a little heavier and taller than Bane, but for the most part this was predicted to be an even match between two super heavyweights. Not long after the fight began the "Mayor of New York" was cut by a nice strike from Bane. From that point on the fight changed dramatically. The "Mayor of New York", motivated by seeing his own blood, enacted a relentless fury that knocked down Bane soon afterwards. Bane tried to hang in there, but Mayor would not be stopped on this night. Future opponents of Mayor should take note to not cut him early.

Hannibal Lyons vs. Zell Griever - Ironically, the main event in New York featured two super heavyweight fighters from completely different areas of the world. Lyons flew in from London, whereas Griever lives in Rio De Janeiro. Both men are elite fighters that can beat their opponent a variety of ways, although neither man could be considered a submission artist. Before the fight, Bellamy had been each fighter's previous opponent with Lyons winning and Griever losing to Bellamy. With that in mind, most of the experts predicted that Lyons would successfully defend his title. Almost immediately into the fight each man cut his opponent. Lyons also scored a takedown and a few minutes into the first round appeared to be in control over Griever. That's when the referee stood the fighters up. After the fight, when asked, the referee continued to defend his decision as he claimed neither fighter was active enough on the ground. Once the fighters were back on their feet in the middle of round 1, it was Griever who first knocked Lyons down with a massive head kick and then knocked him down again a short time later with a punch combination. Even after all of that, Griever still had not been awarded a TKO. Then in the second round, Griever knocked Lyons down for a third time and the fight continued even though Griever's corner started barking at the referee to stop the fight. It was clear that the referee was going to let these men decide the winner on their own. Then in opening moments of the third round, a head kick by Griever knocked out Lyons. Following the fight many fans grumbled that the referee needed to go back to "referee school" as they felt Lyons would have won the fight had it not been stood back up early in round 1 and other fans grumbled that Lyons had been allowed to take too much punishment during the fight.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1412084259MFN_152_poster.jpg

MFN 152: de stad Amsterdam

The next stop on MFN's World Tour was Amsterdam where we raised the roof of the 209 Arena

Here's the Amsterdam-themed song that served as inspiration for the event title :

Galu Li vs. Ultimate Revenge - We opened the evening with a pair of fighters from MFN's up and coming 205 weight class. Li hails from Los Angeles and has a ten pound weight advantage over Revenge, who hails from London. Neither fighter really was identified as a crowd favorite as the mixed crowd at the 209 Arena seemed to be more interested in some of the later fights than the opening one. Li has more established ground skills than Revenge, and used them to his advantage in their fight. After dominating the first round, the second round was much closer for Li than he probably would have liked. This was likely due to his repeated submission attempts being unsuccessful as Li really worked hard to end this fight in the second round. The fight did make it into the third round, where on the 12th submission attempt from Li, Revenge tapped out.

Glin Burman vs. Von Hammer - A couple of fighters from Montreal faced each other next, as the crowd still maintained a somewhat quiet atmosphere. MFN has never been to Amsterdam before, but MFN officials were starting to wonder if the city of Amsterdam is much more relaxed than they anticipated. Both Burman and Hammer have fought their fair share of fights at MFN with each fighter failing to establish much consistency in terms of victories. Both men are boxers by trade, and have some abilities in the other disciplines but experts agreed that this match would be a boxing match. Surprisingly it was Burman's foot and not his fists that ended this fight in the second minute of round one with a viscous head kick that crumpled Hammer to the ground.

Tatton Chantry vs. Andre Jones - Once again a couple of fighters from Montreal came down to the cage, and even though more fashionably late fans had arrived at the arena in time for this fight there was still a lackluster feel to the action from a crowd perspective. Both Chantry and Jones are members of MFN's 205 weight class and in their pre-fight interviews both men expressed interest in establishing some winning success and hopefully beginning a run at the 205 title. Both men are similarly aged and weigh about the same, but one difference is the height of Jones. The height advantage definitely was expected to help Jone's striking ability with his longer reach, while Chantry is more of a ground expert and has a more proportional weight to body height ratio. Chantry was definitely looking to keep this fight on the ground and was successful on a couple of occasions during the fight where he brought Jones down to the mat looking for submissions. Chantry clearly dominated the first round, because most of the round was spent with both fighters on the ground. In the second round Jones was a bit more successful in keeping the fight standing and he won the second round, which setup a situation where whomever won the third round would likely win the fight. An early takedown in the first minute of the third round pretty much wrapped up the fight for Chantry. Jones couldn't escape in time, and thus after this one went to the judges table, even though Jones won the second round, the decision victory was awarded to Chantry.

Pawel Konopacki vs. Otis Driftwood - A couple of London based fighters were next on the card, and the crowd started to show some life with a few cheers as the men came down to the cage. Both Konopacki and Driftwood have spent some time at MFN fighting a handful of fights each, but never against each other. Both men are very similarly skilled, aged, height, and even weight-wise. Many experts figured this match would be a toss up with either fighter having a good chance to win and both fighters had won their last match leading up to this fight. Konopacki dominated round one with some decent striking in the clinch as well as with submission attempts on the ground. In round two it was Driftwood's chance to be aggressive and land some decent strikes. The third round was once again dominated by Konopacki. When this one reached the judges table, it was not a surprise that Konopacki was awarded the decision victory. Konopacki's aggressiveness showed he wanted this one more than Driftwood did.

Kid Funkyama vs. Kirk Boon - With the crowd starting to come to life, the next fight began with Funkyama living in Helsinki getting a slightly bigger crowd pop on his way to the cage than Boon did. Boon is from Montreal. Both fighters are more proficient on the ground than standup or clinch, but both fighters also have some ability to fight in the other fighting areas. This fight was a rematch of their last fight, which occurred on September 27th when Funkyama knocked out Boon in the second round. Before the fight, both fighters were pumped to either (in Funkyama's case) get another win over Boon or (in Boon's case) avenge the last defeat at Funkyama's hand. When this one started, it was Boon who scored the first takedown. Boon immediately started looking to get Funkyama to tap out due to a submission. Even though he was not tapping, Funkyama knew he was in a bad position that he simply couldn't get out of. Funkyama did manage to improve his position on the ground, but Boon's persistence constantly putting Funkyama into submission attempts finally paid off as Funkyama tapped out relatively quickly in this matchup. After the fight Funkyama mentioned the possibility of another fight between these two men as each man has one once, but Boon did not even address Funkyama's comment in his post fight interview.

Greg Garrison vs. Anderson Fontes - Finally the crowd had a local fighter to cheer for as Garrison came down to the cage. Fontes hails from Montreal, but in his post fight interview he mentioned that he didn't mind the chorus of boos that he received from the energized crowd when he came to the cage for the fight. Both men are members of MFN's 265 weight class, but Garrison has a slight height and weight advantage over Fontes. Skills-wise, Garrison was somewhat of a favorite in this fight but it didn't take Fontes that long to silence the crowd. After scoring a takedown followed by another takedown later on in the round, Garrison looked like he was in control of this match. While they were on the ground, Fontes took some punishment but battled through it. When he worked and got a referee standup, Fontes immediately landed a viscous head kick that knocked Garrison over followed by another head kick while Garrison was still recovering from the first head kick. It was a thunderous turnaround to a fight that was seemingly going Garrison's way. Never underestimate your opponent.

Shamar Jackson vs. Matthew Godbolt - With the crowd still reeling from the defeat of one of their hometown fighters, a couple of non-Amsterdam fighters made their ways down to the cage with little fanfare from the audience. Jackson hails from Montreal, whereas Godbolt lives in Las Vegas. Jackson has struggled to find winning consistency at MFN following up each of his wins with losses before this fight. Godbolt also has not had any sort of winning streak at MFN, but this fight against Jackson is only his third fight with MFN. For Jackson to win this fight, he needed to use his boxing advantage. Godbolt, on the other hand, needed to get this one on the ground if he was going to win. Most experts predicted a Jackson victory, just because Jackson can also fight on the ground. In the first round Godbolt was able to get Jackson on the ground relatively quickly but it was both fighters looking for position and trying to submit each other which was the theme for the rest of the round. In the second round it was more of the same, except there were a few reversals in position which kept things interesting on the ground. Neither fighter was going to tap out or was willing to lose in this fantastic ground battle. Jackson went on the offensive in the third round, scoring a nice takedown as he looked to get in the best position to submit Godbolt. Godbolt continued to battle on the ground for position and took a more conservative approach feeling as though he had dominated the first two rounds. When this one reached the judges table there was a long discussion before Godbolt's arm was raised in victory. Although the fight was close and the battle on the ground was a fierce battle for position, ultimately because Godbolt was more aggressive on the ground landing a few more strikes than Jackson had, he was awarded the victory.

Katsuro Kazuhiro vs. Galadra Kiddi - The crowd erupted as Amsterdam local hero Kiddi came down to the cage. It was just what MFN needed to get the event back on track from an excitement standpoint. Poor Kazuhiro was mercilessly booed by the fans, even though there was nothing personal between the Los Angeles native and the pro-Amsterdam crowd. It was definitely a hostile environment for Kazuhiro, who has a fairly significant weight advantage over Kiddi. Kiddi is the taller fighter though. It also doesn't help Kazuhiro that he came into the fight with a losing streak going, whereas Kiddi has continued to win and make his case to earn a title shot in their 185 class. Although both fighters have the talent to win standing, in the clinch, or on the ground, many experts figured Kiddi would want to fight on the ground whereas Kazuhiro would exploit his clinch advantage. Not surprisingly, Kiddi scored an early takedown, but was unable to do a whole lot against Kazuhiro before the referee stood the fighters back up. A bit later in the first round Kiddi took the fight to the clinch, but Kazuhiro was dominant in the clinch and thus, at the end of the first round Kazuhiro was ahead. Early in the second round, Kazuhiro took the fight to the clinch and started working, but Kiddi was also very aggressive in the clinch eventually landing a surprising shoulder strike that rocked Kazuhiro. Kiddi then finished off Kazuhiro with a monster uppercut and was awarded a second round KO victory. The crowd roared with applause and happiness when Kazuhiro crumpled to the ground.

Rajesh Koothrappali vs. Vladimir Kunitskiy - A fighter from Helsinki (Koothrappali) faced a fighter from London (Kunitskiy) in the next fight, which was the co-main event for the evening. The crowd was still at a fever pitch when this fight began due to the Kiddi victory in the fight before. Koothrappali came into the fight with a great winning streak going, while Kunitskiy was undefeated at MFN as well. Both men came into the fight with a lot of positive momentum. Many experts expected Kunitskiy to try and take the fight to the ground, where he was slightly more skilled than Koothrappali, while Koothrappali was expected to try and out-box Kunitskiy. Before the fight it was announced that the fight winner would get a title shot against current champion Peter Taphorn at some point in the future. In the first round the fighters traded blows back and forth until Kunitskiy was able to successfully bring Koothrappali down to the ground. While on the ground, Koothrappali did a great job avoiding damage, and had to feel a little bit of confidence heading into the second round, even though Kunitskiy was awarded the round by the judges. The second round was also close, with fighters once again trading blows, but another successful takedown by Kunitskiy probably earned him a second round in the eyes of the judges. Even though Koothrappali had a pretty good idea that the third round would need somewhat of a turnaround in the fight, it wound up being more of the same with Kunitskiy and Koothrappali trading blows but Kunitskiy being slightly more effective. The judges didn't take too much time to award Kunitskiy the victory when the match was over, and nobody in the audience seemed surprised by the result once it was announced.

Roberto Sturmpruegel vs. Taneli Hauki - In the main event of the night, home town favorite Sturmpruegel faced a man from New York (Hauki). New York was originally named "New Amsterdam" thus the fight had an "old versus new" feel to it. The Amsterdam crowd cheered mightily for Sturmpruegel and booed Hauki relentlessly, but Hauki was focused and determined. Hauki has been the champion before, and was looking to get back into title contention, while Sturmpruegel has beaten some talented fighters in his last few fights and was also looking for the chance to get a title shot. Hauki is a taller fighter, but skills-wise both of these men are very similarly skilled and can beat an opponent a variety of ways but prefer to box. Both have had success at MFN. The fans were treated to a fantastic boxing match with Sturmpruegel dominating round one and Hauki dominating round two. As round three began, this fight was a complete toss up as to who was winning. The fans were also very engaged and enjoying another fantastic match from MFN. The fighters traded blows in round three but a late fury by Hauki closed the gap and by the time this one was at the mercy of the judges a case could be made for either fighter to emerge victorious. The judges seemed to deliberate amongst themselves for an eternity before they raised the man from New York (Hauki)'s hand in victory. Immediately following the announcement there was a horrendous chorus of booing followed by cups and other garbage being thrown at the cage and the judges table. The crowd was beside themselves with anger as they felt their home town fighter had been screwed. It took almost half an hour for security to control the situation, but some of the judges indicated after the fight they had received death threats by the en-crazed crowd. So much for the quiet crowd that was there at the start of the night.