Rising Sun 9: Jeremy Tonal vs Smokudju Womba - 12th April 2014

Wow. Pretty epic shit right there. I gotta say while I know Tonal is a fucking stud I thought having not fought since 2012 he for sure would have degraded. Turns out, nope!

Fair play to Tonal, even though he KO'd one of my alliance mates fighters!

So much for all that debate. Tonal is nowhere near his peak now, but he still eats Womba's for breakfast. I do have to give Kelly a lot of recognition for accepting this fight though, the p4p difference was huge going into this.

Dinooo said Deamus told him Tonal hasnt degraded much at all. It's funny how losing one fight makes the tycoon community turn on a fighter and act like they are shit.

I advised Kelly(after she had agreed I think) that she shouldn't have accepted the fight not only because of the hype/rank difference but the impossibility of scouting Tonal at this point as well. This was Tonal's first fight under the new engine so it would have been very hard for Kelly to have any idea of what he was going to do. Kelly has told us in the alliance that she is losing interest now so I see were the fight made sense for her in a historical sense or maybe an "I dont give a fuck" sense.

LT asked me about a Tonal/Bennet fight before the Styles lost and I'm pretty sure I would have went another direction for those reasons. Win and everyone would just assume Tonal was washed up, lose and it's a huge hype hit and now tycooners are shitting all over Womba's legacy as one of the best ever.

• Upvote 2

Dinooo said Deamus told him Tonal hasnt degraded much at all. It's funny how losing one fight makes the tycoon community turn on a fighter and act like they are shit.

I advised Kelly(after she had agreed I think) that she shouldn't have accepted the fight not only because of the hype/rank difference but the impossibility of scouting Tonal at this point as well. This was Tonal's first fight under the new engine so it would have been very hard for Kelly to have any idea of what he was going to do. Kelly has told us in the alliance that she is losing interest now so I see were the fight made sense for her in a historical sense or maybe an "I dont give a fuck" sense.

LT asked me about a Tonal/Bennet fight before the Styles lost and I'm pretty sure I would have went another direction for those reasons. Win and everyone would just assume Tonal was washed up, lose and it's a huge hype hit and now tycooners are shitting all over Womba's legacy as one of the best ever.

Nobody is taking anything away from Womba as being one of the best ever. I did argue before this fight (in that highly contested thread) that it was not even debatable in my books who the best of all time was/is. This fight does not really add anything to that other than confirms what i already knew. I had tried to persuade him to come back after that debate.

Anyway, Tonal for #1

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hopefully Tonal takes another run at number 1! Certainly got to be considered the greatest of all time now, Womba was favorite but was always going to be tough taking on Tonal while being unaware of his tactics/skills.

Its true, he hadn't degraded much if i am not mistaken neither has Womba. As far as the scouting etc goes, yeah fair enough and Deamus had me telling him how Womba fights and the sliders i assumed she used against me. Thing is though Tonal most of the time has went counter damage and gunned for the chin. I can't really tell nor have i spoken to Deamus but it appears he did go counter damage but went counter clinch also. Since Pat McDermott fucked up Womba in the clinch i assume that is where Womba is most weak at.

As far as everyone saying Womba is shit, i haven't seen anyone say that apart from Mentors comment about eating Womba for breakfast. When i seen that takedown at every sub attempt i held my breath since Tonal has been subbed a couple of times before. Tonal may have depopped slightly but Deamus wouldn't have taken the fight if he thought he had no shot to win. The difference was in the sliders and the fact Tonal had the power to get to Womba's chin coupled with the big man upstairs letting Tonal get the clinch before Womba got another TD.

Thanks to Kelly for taking the fight, I know she had other options and much more to lose than me.

That first round was real scary, I hate seeing that red sub attempt text pop up and knowing it could be over by the next line. After getting that clinch early second it obviously felt a lot safer, I knew I had a huge advantage there. Big thanks to LT for helping me with the sliders, I doubt Tonal would have survived the first without him.

As far as his skills go Tonal isn't quite as good as he was two years ago but he hasn't degraded nearly as much as some people seem to think. The skills he has lost are mostly due to me not paying attention or not seeing what's going on without vip rather than his age. I was way more worried about how the engine suited him than any lack of skills, I'm sure he's still a match for most fighters skillwise.

Well clearly he's still a beast. You did a good job keeping him up to par for not fighting in 2yrs. I'm having trouble figureing out what to train with some of my older guys. I can't imagine 2 yrs

Womba is an all-time great for sure, but the GOAT debate is now over.

I mean step back and really think about what just happened here.

Tonal took seven in game years off. During that time he was training in a gym that was not his own and did not have ViP, so he had no idea what was popping or depopping at all. Yeah I advised on the sliders because Deamus didnt know the engine, but that was no close decision, it was brutality.

Tonal was away for seven years, had non optimal training, was woken up because people were saying there was some debate as to who the GOAT was and just absolutely decimated the opponent and debate.

It's not an insult to Womba to say Tonal is the GOAT, its just fact. Womba IS still one of the greatest and that will never change.

Edited by LanceTempleton
  • Upvote 5

I am not sure why people are saying "i do not know what Tonal will do" as he has been away. His strategy wont change, he was always a guy with awesome chin, great D and KO power to put an Elephant to bed. He can do that pretty much everywhere, although against a great grappler like Womba he will likely want to do it standing or in the clinch, which is what he did.

Tonal has to be considered the GOAT after that fight. Not only was he able to destroy another fighter considered by some as the GOAT in Womba, he did it after a 7 year break in game, and at 37 years old! Throw in the fact that he's never been KOd (or TKOd) and the who's who of opponents he's fought, it's remarkable really.

• Upvote 2